• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the season. That last scene...

And Free Churros was an amazing episode, 26 minutes on a scene.

On a note, Bojack is really a shit person (although relatable and charismatic) but Princess Caroline should take an huge amount of guilt of what happened to him this season.

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished the season. That last scene...

And Free Churros was an amazing episode, 26 minutes on a scene.

On a note, Bojack is really a shit person (although relatable and charismatic) but Princess Caroline should take an huge amount of guilt of what happened to him this season.
PC can take heat for allowing the stunt accident to happen, but almost everything afterward was a Bojack problem. I'd say PC should take more heat for doing so much to try and cover up the stuff that happened this season than she should take heat for Bojack's bad decisions.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix autoQing the next episode with that 4 second window to stop it is a diservice for this show.

The way so many episodes end, I think its important to sit in that ending credit music just a little bit to digest.

ESPECIALLY with all of the different variants of the ending song. I loooooved the Halloween one because it sounded like something Danny Elfman would've made

Nov 14, 2017
PC can take heat for allowing the stunt accident to happen, but almost everything afterward was a Bojack problem. I'd say PC should take more heat for doing so much to try and cover up the stuff that happened this season than she should take heat for Bojack's bad decisions.
She also organised the doctor who was going to "fill him full of pep" so he could keep working.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

She let the accident happen.
She sent Bojack to the "doctor" to fill him up so he can continue to work and the series filming does not halt.
She was absent from set most of the time persuing her baby adoption.
She did not check Bojack after the accident, if he was still taking pills it was no problem as long as he continue to acting.

Those are shit things to do if you are a friend. Those are shit things to do if you are a producer. If anyone was really egoistic this season was PC. Also consider that Philbert was PC pet project after she could not have a baby, dragged Bojack to it (even if she had good intentions of finding a good role for Bojack, it was on her best interest) even falsified his signature. After she decided to adopted, she put the series on second plane to Persuit her new goal.

Bojack should be blamed for his actions, but he did have a lot of "pushs" this season. Once you start to fall it is all downhill.

Last edited:

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She let the accident happen.
She sent Bojack to the "doctor" to fill him up so he can continue to work and the series filming does not halt.
She was absent from set most of the time persuing her baby adoption.
She did not check Bojack after the accident, if he was still taking pills it was no problem as long as he continue to acting.

Those are shit things to do if you are a friend. Those are shit things to do if you are a producer. If anyone was really egoistic this season was PC. Also consider that Philbert was PC pet project after she could not have a baby, dragged Bojack to it (even if she had good intentions of finding a good role for Bojack, it was on her best interest) even falsified his signature. After she decided to adopted, she put the series on second plane to Persuit her new goal.

Bojack should be blamed for his actions, but he did have a lot of "pushs" this season. Once you start to fall it is all downhill.
Not babysitting Bojack and constantly changing his mental diaper was definitely not a smart move as a producer. As a friend, though? Bojack is such an intolerable asshole and treats Princess Carolyn so abysmally that it's kind of crazy to treat her disengaging from his life and problems as being a bad friend.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Not babysitting Bojack and constantly changing his mental diaper was definitely not a smart move as a producer. As a friend, though? Bojack is such an intolerable asshole and treats Princess Carolyn so abysmally that it's kind of crazy to treat her disengaging from his life and problems as being a bad friend.

He is a shitty friend but still...

As a producer, it is not about just babysitting Bojack. It you represent an actor with a trouble behavior and a history of drug abuse (alcohol) you don't fill it up with high addictive pain killer drugs just to keep him working and making you money. Or if you do, you should check later how he was handling the pills. She just forgot as it was not her trouble. Sure, Bojack got s lot of calls (his sister) to quit, but PC did nothing.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk of PC finally acting in her own self interests at the cost of others. So she's human is what you're saying.

Nope. The talk was about PC does not knew what she wants. Being a mother and a high successful business woman are not exclusive things but very difficult to achieve. First she cannot have babies so let's focus on work. Wait, I can adopt, drop everything from work.

Yeah, you can say a normal person you can simpathize but as the series remember, do not let it be "normal".

Oct 25, 2017

Problem for her is she's latched herself to toxic individuals (witness the whole "thoughts and prayers" stuff from last season.) She might not be as shitty as the people around her, but she enables it all.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He is a shitty friend but still...

As a producer, it is not about just babysitting Bojack. It you represent an actor with a trouble behavior and a history of drug abuse (alcohol) you don't fill it up with high addictive pain killer drugs just to keep him working and making you money. Or if you do, you should check later how he was handling the pills. She just forgot as it was not her trouble. Sure, Bojack got s lot of calls (his sister) to quit, but PC did nothing.
Again, as a producer she absolutely screwed up by slotting someone so high-maintenance into a production-critical role and then not giving them the maintenance. What you're describing is exactly what I mean by babysitting though. If he was a functioning adult, none of Bojack's issues would be issues requiring outside planning and intervention to make sure he's capable of working.

Even connecting Bojack with a pill hookup - Bojack of literally the last four seasons would be angry at PC and probably berate her as a shitty friend for holding out on pain meds. You would have to be privy to his inner life and thoughts (i.e. watching the show) to know that now, for the first time ever, he was seriously trying to cut back on his substance abuse. Should PC be close enough to Bojack to understand what was going on? Not really, since Bojack fired her as his agent/manager.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Even connecting Bojack with a pill hookup - Bojack of literally the last four seasons would be angry at PC and probably berate her as a shitty friend for holding out on pain meds. You would have to be privy to his inner life and thoughts (i.e. watching the show) to know that now, for the first time ever, he was seriously trying to cut back on his substance abuse. Should PC be close enough to Bojack to understand what was going on? Not really, since Bojack fired her as his agent/manager.

So she was like "I don't see a problem hooking Bojack with drug pills cause he is already a drug abuser anyway".

Plus as you said, place him in a critical role and never check on him, even for the sake of her own show.

Please note that I am not defending Bojack, I am saying that this season PC was a shit person too, even if she was not intentional (as Bojack)

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, on the scale of people being shitty in this show, PC has always felt the least shitty. At some point in her life, she needs to pull away from her current job and the toxic people it surrounds her with if she is going to grow. She actively ignores the holes in her life by fixing other peoples' problems.

I wouldn't fully blame her for hooking Bojack up with the pills doctor either - ultimately, it's a unique Western failing in the American medical system if a doctor can prescribe addictive medications on a repeat basis without reviewing their appropriateness or necessity.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So she was like "I don't see a problem hooking Bojack with drug pills cause he is already a drug abuser anyway".

Plus as you said, place him in a critical role and never check on him, even for the sake of her own show.

Please note that I am not defending Bojack, I am saying that this season PC was a shit person too, even if she was not intentional (as Bojack)
Nah, I don't think you're defending Bojack, I'm just emphasizing how terrible he is to be close to because I think it provides a really important context to Princess Carolyn's behavior. He's that toxic "friendship" that's always demanding your time and energy and always cutting you down instead of supporting you, with just enough cool moments and flashes of a better person inside that you get strung along way past when you should have kicked them to the curb. In that context, PC not providing infinite support for Bojack looks way more like healthy boundaries starting to go up than a dick move.

This season PC really started distancing herself to focus on her own life goals over other people's. Her obvious primary goal still includes putting all her time and energy into another person, but it's still a positive sign that she's doing that from her own personal desire rather than being endlessly conscripted into what other people need from her. The show is clearly setting up that her personal and professional ambitions are not going to successfully coexist, but that's not her being shitty. Instead it reflects how a "professional" world that's full of Bojack Horsemans and Flip McVickers is an unmanageable nightmare.

So, the drugs. Again, with the full context of just how Bojack has behaved for their entire relationship, I have a hard time holding Princess Carolyn even slightly responsible for Bojack's behavior. The dude constantly self-medicates, and has the wealth and access to get drugs with impunity. PC offers him a too-easy solution that he's chosen for himself a hundred times before, and it happens right now to be the wrong thing, but I feel like as far as moral culpability goes PC's enabling is a drop in the ocean. The worst part about it is that PC did it for purely mercenary reasons - whatever gets Bojack through the shoot - but again, when I think about what would actually be necessary to get Bojack through the shoot ("a sex mommy who also keeps her boundaries, is that too much to ask?"), it's just so out of proportion to what any sane person could reasonably invest that I can't condemn her for it.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, on the scale of people being shitty in this show, PC has always felt the least shitty. At some point in her life, she needs to pull away from her current job and the toxic people it surrounds her with if she is going to grow. She actively ignores the holes in her life by fixing other peoples' problems.

I wouldn't fully blame her for hooking Bojack up with the pills doctor either - ultimately, it's a unique Western failing in the American medical system if a doctor can prescribe addictive medications on a repeat basis without reviewing their appropriateness or necessity.
She can't. A recurring theme through her story is that she craves the chaos and struggle of her job, despite all her complaints. She'll never "have it all" because she can't successfully make compromises in her life. In this season, we see that on full display with how she allowed BJ to spiral out of control while she pursued that adoption.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
In some ways this season felt like a repetition of what happened before, but it also knows what buttons to push to leave you with different thoughts and feelings than in previous seasons. I think people will grow to like more and more over time, I certainly dont love right now but things can change with enough viewings.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
In this season, we see that on full display with how she allowed BJ to spiral out of control while she pursued that adoption.

I'd argue that PC's biggest failing is that she is a control freak. There is no reason that someone in her position with the people she deals with can't have a 2nd-in-command for those moments when she is away. True, she has a personal assistant, albeit it useless one, but part of the business she is in and at the level she is at is being able to delegate. She is unable to do that.

I'll say that I think in a lot of ways that she is the most sympathetic character. She's a woman who came from a terrible background just trying to live out her dreams, but she is unable to settle for less. I kind of understand that, even if I don't have the type-A personality to pursue anything as hard as she does, but much like Todd or Mr. Peanut Butter she's someone with good intentions that doesn't realize how her intentions and subsequent actions can cause problems.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd argue that PC's biggest failing is that she is a control freak. There is no reason that someone in her position with the people she deals with can't have a 2nd-in-command for those moments when she is away. True, she has a personal assistant, albeit it useless one, but part of the business she is in and at the level she is at is being able to delegate. She is unable to do that.

I'll say that I think in a lot of ways that she is the most sympathetic character. She's a woman who came from a terrible background just trying to live out her dreams, but she is unable to settle for less. I kind of understand that, even if I don't have the type-A personality to pursue anything as hard as she does, but much like Todd or Mr. Peanut Butter she's someone with good intentions that doesn't realize how her intentions and subsequent actions can cause problems.
This is a really good read. It's so telling that after Judah overstepped, PC has chosen the most incompetent assistant imaginable who saves her zero labor.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished episode 4 and...there is something off about this season. I think these episodes just don't stand strong by themselves. Like....they are good. But previous season episodes were strong and even while pushing overall narrative they stood strong alone. It is still good TV. It's just that previous seasons set the bar high, and this season so far isn't up to Bojack snuff.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She probably just didn't see the need to bring it up considering it was such an awkward and cringe-worthy memory that Bojack clearly did not remember.

But she also wrote in her book that the first time she met him was when he was throwing up cotton candy in the first episode.

I get why she wouldn't include the incident at the older party, but it still feels sort of cheap.

Deleted member 8702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The car ride at the start of the funeral episode was too real. Practically gave me PTSD flashbacks from my childhood.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
I just finished episode 7. The last three episodes have been absolutely masterful. For an animated show these are some of the most real characters I've ever seen on tv. Episode six hit hard.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Bojack, yes, I can see it. But Diane also talked as it was their first meet on E01S01, up to the meeting someone famous.
Yup. I went back and rewatched that scene afterwards and I felt the same way.

It's a retcon, and a pretty needless one at that. Can be handwaved away, but it's an unfortunate black mark on what was otherwise a good episode

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished 5. What the heck. Another episode that felt like it was building to something powerful, then ended with a fizzle. These episodes are missing strong punches at the end.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Finished Season 5 not too long ago. Didn't reach the same heights as previous seasons but it was still great.
Free Churro is definitely the highlight and I will have to watch it again, Will Arnett did such a great job throughout the episode.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Comedy Central is going to start showing the series this Wednesday after South Park. I've never watched the show because I don't have Netflix, but I want to. How badly will it have to be edited to air on Comedy Central? Will it be butchered?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Comedy Central is going to start showing the series this Wednesday after South Park. I've never watched the show because I don't have Netflix, but I want to. How badly will it have to be edited to air on Comedy Central? Will it be butchered?

Woah, didn't know this was going to cable, how many Netflix shows have done this?

And I don't think it will have to be edited as it will be on @ 10:30.