• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Comedy Central is going to start showing the series this Wednesday after South Park. I've never watched the show because I don't have Netflix, but I want to. How badly will it have to be edited to air on Comedy Central? Will it be butchered?

Unlikely. There's exactly one "fuck" per season, and none of the content is any worse than an average South Park.

Woah, didn't know this was going to cable, how many Netflix shows have done this?

I believe Netflix didn't lock down the syndication rights when they first ordered the show, allowing Tornante to shop it around.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think he will change, I guess it's just a mirror to a lot of people. We constantly fuck up, people hope we change, but nope we fucked up.
Bojack's monologue said it best "There are no happy endings, because there's always more show"

I agree 100% with this, and it's what makes this show so haunting.

And, like the last few episodes
Diane correctly points out that Philbert isn't supposed to be some show that justifies or romanticizes the character's bad behavior, much like this show does for real life.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Man.

Whew.

Blew through the season yesterday and today....so good. Brutal as ever. Episode 11 was hard to watch really.

vertigo

Aug 25, 2018
Brooklyn
Can i just say, i am so sick of shows where these rich sad men keep fucking up their lives and whining about it like im supposed to feel bad for them. Also they really pushed the asexual thing hard af. It felt like it had no weight and they were using it to define this character that had little depth.
To be fair i love the character exploration w most of the other characters like i actually care about them. And as someone that works in the film industry as an associate producer the stuff w dianne and the fake feminism shit was GREAT.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely. There's exactly one "fuck" per season, and none of the content is any worse than an average South Park.

Agreed. The show goes to very dark places but it does so in a way that cable TV at 10:30 isn't going to edit. My only concern would be some of the visual gags, mostly in one particular episode this season, but even then it'll probably air just fine.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Man, the sex robot gag.

At first it's just a funny little Todd thing.
Then he becomes CEO and you're all "he's the new Vincent Adultman!".

Then the final episode happens and you realize that this stupid sex robot was really just a set-up for one of the best metaphors for Hollywood Sexism.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. What should I be seeing?
You don't see anything different in the opening credits of that episode?

5BLUztV.jpg

Feb 10, 2018
Man, the sex robot gag.

At first it's just a funny little Todd thing.
Then he becomes CEO and you're all "he's the new Vincent Adultman!".

Then the final episode happens and you realize that this stupid sex robot was really just a set-up for one of the best metaphors for Hollywood Sexism.

Yeah, the interesting thing about the sex robot and how nobody seems to care about the fact that's he's constantly sexually harassing people is that it could point out how sexual harassment is so common that nobody seems to think it's NOT a normal behavior

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
Bojack in syndication may not get content cut for being too extreme for tv, but it will definitely get stuff cut because it has to fit in 22 minutes. Really curious what they feel they can cut without effecting the story or the setup for future jokes.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, what if for the next season
they have Diane die as alluded to and have Bojack not find out about it until long after the fact because she might be the only one who knows he's in rehab and as part of being there they restrict phone and social media use. That's the appropriate level of fucked up I might expect from this series.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just finished the season and as always what an amazing show.

Episode 6 and 11 were amazing, especially 6.

Bojack really is one of the best shows on TV, funny, silly but amazingly well written and tackles the darkest subjects with probably the most authentic and honest results you will see.

Bojack is such a special show, it makes you laugh but leaves you feeling terrible but wanting more. Also creates a lot of self reflection too, as someone who identifies with a lot of the self hatred that bojack has and how hard it is to make those changes with everything else going on but importantly it emphasises how important it is to actually change.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Yeah, the interesting thing about the sex robot and how nobody seems to care about the fact that's he's constantly sexually harassing people is that it could point out how sexual harassment is so common that nobody seems to think it's NOT a normal behavior
Yup.

That was the whole point of the instigating scene where all of the overtly sexual stuff he was saying was handwaved, but "I need my batteries changed" was the breaking point.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they have Diane die as alluded to and have Bojack not find out about it until long after the fact because she might be the only one who knows he's in rehab and as part of being there they restrict phone and social media use. That's the appropriate level of fucked up I might expect from this series.
I'm sort of expecting this to not happen. They haven't done something like this before and I'm pretty sure this doing better than that particular actor's other Netflix show so there's a cushy paycheck involved.

The only reason why they would kill off Diane is that there's some unfortunate circumstances in a white woman playing an Vietnamese woman and it's particular awkward in the episode where she actually goes to Vietnam.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bojack in syndication may not get content cut for being too extreme for tv, but it will definitely get stuff cut because it has to fit in 22 minutes. Really curious what they feel they can cut without effecting the story or the setup for future jokes.
Comedy Central already truncates the closing credits of every show by having them run as the next episode starts.

They will likely chop out the opening credits sequence as well, which sucks but is better than cutting out actual scenes from the episode.

Those two fixes alone will probably get them 2-3 minutes back.

Todd's storylines are often kind of irrelevant, so I suspect that many cuts will come from his material.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Netflix sold the rights themself. Brings money and doesnt hurt them, so win-win.

I'm going off this article:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/comedy-central-acquires-bojack-horseman-netflix-1202433798/
This is a rare off-network syndication sale for a Netflix series. BoJack was one of the first series orders for Netflx when it was still a newcomer in the original programming space and was buying shows from outside production companies. BoJack hails from Michael Eisner's Tornante Co., which retained the series' off-network rights for a domestic syndication sale. (Netflix's first original series, House Of Cards, produced by MRC, had retained domestic and international rights, which are handled by Sony TV.) Those opportunities quickly disappeared, with Netflix demanding full exclusivity worldwide on all of its series.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In dianes speech about Philbert normalizing bad behavior were they doing some 5th wall thing where Philbert is the show bojack and Diane was actually critizing us the audience?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
In dianes speech about Philbert normalizing bad behavior were they doing some 5th wall thing where Philbert is the show bojack and Diane was actually critizing us the audience?
People here believe so but probably not specifically us at least not all of us just certain fans and you could lump in shows like Rick and Morty, Sherlock and House

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

They're not referring to Bojack Horseman exclusively, but yes. The show is far better than most at owning the terribleness of its protagonist, but it *is* in its fifth season, and we've been "enjoying" watching Bojack fail upward this whole time.

Other shows like Rescue Me and Mad Men felt far less self-critical of their "antihero" leads. I bailed on both shows near the end because I got sick of watching Denis Leary go on benders and hate-fuck his ex-wife, or suffer through yet another one of successful-businessman-but-dead-inside Don Draper's doomed relationships.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

I read somewhere that the creators of the show were disturbed to learn that Harvey Weinstein was a fan of BoJack which is what lead them to make him act worse in Season 5.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Sensational season is right. May not hit the high marks set by last seasons eps 2 and 11, but overal consistency was perhaps the best yet. The 'issue' episode was also much better than last year's, and truly brutal.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I love this show so much. The Margaret thatcher mummy joke lmao

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic season. Sex robot was incredible.

I was worried that the season would feel too samey, and the last few episodes did veer back towards well trodded ground but managed to do it and come back from it in a distinct way.

I do have to wonder what the end game is. We can't watch bojack suffer indefinitely. It's already getting a bit stale, but was saved by some fantastic writing, scenario design and direction.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
So with repetition being the theme of Mr Peanutbutter this season, I wonder if that's how all of his marriages happened. Bojack and him are gonna end up being the same by the end. Equal parts scumbag and tragic.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly one of the best written shows of all time. It's crazy how emotionally deep it can be while also being totally silly funny.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
This season was dark in such a different way. It felt significantly more hopeless and made you feel like a fool for ever believing that Bojack could become a better person without serious, massive intervention. Even with that, I don't think he will be.

I also found myself liking everyone besides Todd significantly less. Diane's a pretty shitty person at this point, with her only redeeming quality being that she's willing to stick around her shitty friends. Mr. PB used to be a good person who was just shitty with relationships, but now he's clearly shitty towards those women as well. The way PC just used Bojack also didn't sit well with me.

At least Todd's story this season was pretty entertaining and tied into the main plot a little more.

Also, while episode 11 of damn near every season has given me End of Evangelion vibes, this one really pushed those vibes farther.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Just wrapped up.

What's sticking with me so far are the missed embraces with Hollyhock (who I love as a character for being Bojack's best connection to decency, and single strongest lifeline towards redemption. Yes I am a sucker). Those moments brought a very corporeal sense of loss and longing ...

... And the dark bass note struck at the end of the interview with Bojack and Gina, as he's left alone with all the artifice and pretence of the interview, and the protective veneer of Gina's ulterior motives, suddenly vaporised. The stark realisation of what he's done echoing in the pit of the stomach.

I miss it already.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Episode 11 wasn't as emotionally brutal as previous seasons, partially because by now we expect it, but it had that little extra sting because at the outset of the episode, underneath the drugs, he had finally found some semblance of happiness, and actually cared about someone on a non-superficial level. But his self destructive ways got the best of him again.

Also interesting in episode 10 was the revelation that he truly believes that he's the actual victim of all his mistakes.
I also found myself liking everyone besides Todd significantly less. Diane's a pretty shitty person at this point, with her only redeeming quality being that she's willing to stick around her shitty friends.
Diane already got there last season, with her unforgiving freak-out over the library.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I had this idea because of the Princess Diana thing and the fact that her car is entering a tunnel in the ending.
Do the math.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

This show is so good

Aaron Paul's delivery with the "if we let him down he said he would quote eat my ass"

And then alter talking about how he's a sex robot and shouldn't be the CEO of anything

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Mr Peanut Butter in Ep8:
"You mean they all grow up and I stay the same age? Alright, alright, alright."

Damn at that McConaughey reference out of nowhere. Wonder how many other lines like these I've been missing.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I may be missing something since i last watched season 4 a year ago obviously, but didn't bojack there auditioned for a court drama series and not a detective drama one? Was it changed?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Mr Peanut Butter in Ep8:
"You mean they all grow up and I stay the same age? Alright, alright, alright."

Damn at that McConaughey reference out of nowhere. Wonder how many other lines like these I've been missing.
The show is steeped in references. But like early Simpsons, they're so well written-in that you don't even know you're missing a reference if you don't catch it.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I may be missing something since i last watched season 4 a year ago obviously, but didn't bojack there auditioned for a court drama series and not a detective drama one? Was it changed?

Season 4 spoiler
Princess Carolyn forged BoJack's signature for Philberth. BoJack at some point early on 5 mentions that went along with it as a friend

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't feel like being drugged out really excuses what he did. He's done a lot of shitty things in this show, and has always sort of squeaked by. But this was nearly murder. Like I don't know how you can redeem a character like this.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this isn't even the worst thing he's done considering what happened with Sarah Lynn and Penny, where both times he was in a lucid state of mind as opposed to here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Him preying on a minor and not going through with it along with instigating a sober person into binging herself to death is horrible but I don't really feel like it's on the same level as nearly actually killing someone with his own hands.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel like being drugged out really excuses what he did. He's done a lot of shitty things in this show, and has always sort of squeaked by. But this was nearly murder. Like I don't know how you can redeem a character like this.

I keep saying this to myself as well but I can't help but enjoy Bojack's character every season despite his actions.