• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Andy and Rick are gay ambassadors for the world. Some gaydars in this thread might need a tune up! ;)

*gets caught up on BA videos*

Molly deffo put her hand back in the salt bowl after touching raw chicken (which is already a no-no, since the salt has to be disposed of now), but then used the same bowl of salt to season the finished soup.

Might wanna keep on top of that food safety stuff BA.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

Andy Learns Thai Cooking

(I wanted to see what would have happened after a few more swipes of those "selfies" he was talking about at the beginning of the video.)

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was lucky enough to spend close to a month staying in Isan for my friend's wedding. One of their family members is a retired chef, all of the food was incredible and some of the soups were beyond anything I've ever eaten. Was very lucky to spend time cooking with him and learning what I could. Let alone being able to eat all that incredible food.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I was lucky enough to spend close to a month staying in Isan for my friend's wedding. One of their family members is a retired chef, all of the food was incredible and some of the soups were beyond anything I've ever eaten. Was very lucky to spend time cooking with him and learning what I could. Let alone being able to eat all that incredible food.
That's a dream man. I would love an opportunity like that

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's a dream man. I would love an opportunity like that
I was very lucky, the entire experience was a cultural and culinary dream come true.

It may be a bit tricky to plan a holiday in the Isan region, but I highly suggest trying if you ever go to Thailand. Roi Et is a pretty nice city that isn't hammered by tourists, going there will probably be a pretty valuable experience. We were about 40 minutes drive out of the city in a little rice farming village. It is a really wonderful place with astoundingly wonderful people.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
1lbs of onion and a tablespoon of sumac per person? Thats an interesting dish Sholua made.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I kinda feel like Madhur Jaffrey was judging him more on the quality of the dish rather than it explicitly matching her recipe. He did a great job but I didn't get the sense he actually did any better than any of the other dishes he tried to recreate. Was kind of wholesome to see how happy he was at the end, though.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. I kinda feel like Madhur Jaffrey was judging him more on the quality of the dish rather than it explicitly matching her recipe. He did a great job but I didn't get the sense he actually did any better than any of the other dishes he tried to recreate. Was kind of wholesome to see how happy he was at the end, though.

The game is just the gimmick to create content using Chris. It's not the SAT.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To quote Chris, Sohla is the fuckin' best.

I like how she just does her own thing on all the kitchen challenges.

Also I wish Christina was in more videos.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Love the pairings of Gaby and Andy and Carla and Molly

Gaby has been moving up my tier list of late, she's hilarious

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I was super into that liver thing until it went into a blender. Also I still don't get the bell pepper dislike.

Edit: And yeah, not a fan of those peppercorn either. One of my favorite super spicy dish at a local place uses them and I have to eat around them to not just numb out my mouth.

Green bell peppers suck. It lacks the sweetness of the brighter colors. It's just bitter herbaciousness. I feel they're best used in stews where the up front bitterness is dialed back.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
I made this for dinner yesterday, and you guys...you wouldn't believe the amount of flavor this sauce has. I was taken aback by just how delicious it is. Highly, recommend. I did add some hot italian sausage meatballs, though. I think Alison does recipes for the BA website too.

Here you go friend

¼ cup olive oil
6 large shallots, very thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, 4 thinly sliced, 1 finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more to taste
1 (2-ounce) can anchovy fillets (about 12), drained
1 (4.5-ounce) tube or (6-ounce) can of tomato paste (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
10 ounces pasta
1 cup parsley, leaves and tender stems, finely chopped
Flaky sea salt

Step 1
Heat olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium high. Add shallots and thinly sliced garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots have become totally softened and caramelized with golden-brown fried edges, 15 to 20 minutes.

Step 2
Add red-pepper flakes and anchovies. (No need to chop the anchovies; they will dissolve on their own.) Stir to melt the anchovies into the shallots, about 2 minutes.

Step 3
Add tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly to prevent any scorching, until the tomato paste has started to cook in the oil a bit, caramelizing at the edges and going from bright red to a deeper brick red color, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer about half the mixture to a resealable container, leaving the rest behind. (These are your leftovers to be used elsewhere: in another batch of pasta or smeared onto roasted vegetables, spooned over fried eggs or spread underneath crispy chicken thighs.)

Step 4
To serve, cook pasta according to package instructions in a large pot of salted boiling water until very al dente (perhaps more al dente than usual). Transfer to Dutch oven with remaining shallot mixture (or a skillet if you are using the leftover portion) and 1 cup pasta water. Cook over medium-high heat, swirling the skillet to coat each piece of pasta, using a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape up any bits on the bottom, until pasta is thick and sauce has reduced and is sticky, but not saucy, 3 to 5 minutes.

Step 5
In a small bowl, combine parsley and finely chopped garlic clove, and season with flaky salt and pepper. Divide pasta among bowls, or transfer to one large serving bowl, and top with parsley mixture and a bit more red-pepper flakes, if you like.

Thanks for this, was seriously good!

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also made that recipe this week and it was alright (I think I got a bit skittish and didn't cook the shallots quite long enough). Word of warning though, if you do what she did and keep some of the paste for later, it is going to be 1000% saltier, more garlic-y, and fishier. It becomes VERY anchovy-forward. We did not enjoy it that second time at all.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I also made that recipe this week and it was alright (I think I got a bit skittish and didn't cook the shallots quite long enough). Word of warning though, if you do what she did and keep some of the paste for later, it is going to be 1000% saltier, more garlic-y, and fishier. It becomes VERY anchovy-forward. We did not enjoy it that second time at all.

I thought so as well but wasn't sure if it was just me, being someone that doesn't totally love fish. The first serving was great, deep umami and shallot forward. But yeah, leftover paste is extremely anchovy forward.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I thought so as well but wasn't sure if it was just me, being someone that doesn't totally love fish. The first serving was great, deep umami and shallot forward. But yeah, leftover paste is extremely anchovy forward.
Can't say I agree, but I think it's because I used much more shallot than the recipe called for and I caramelized the shallot to the point where they were on the precipice of charring. I was left really a really onion-y paste even days later. I'd say the 5 shallots asked for in the recipe aren't enough to counterbalance the entire can of anchovies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Thank god asian market was open today so I could get some more gochujang. Gonna be doing the BA spicy pork tenderloin again tonight. Grabbed some udon while I was there too along with some fish sauce and black bean paste. Didn't have those in my pantry and need to branch out some.

On a side note, anyone got links to some good Peruvian or other South American dishes? Need to try some of those at home.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god asian market was open today so I could get some more gochujang. Gonna be doing the BA spicy pork tenderloin again tonight. Grabbed some udon while I was there too along with some fish sauce and black bean paste. Didn't have those in my pantry and need to branch out some.

On a side note, anyone got links to some good Peruvian or other South American dishes? Need to try some of those at home.

Fried Guinea Pig.

travelfoodatlas.com

Peruvian Guinea Pig (Cuy) Delicacy Recipe

Guinea pig (Cuy) is a delicacy that is very typically associated with typical Peruvian cuisine but it is also eaten throughout other countries of South America such as Ecuador, Colombia and Bolivia. The Peruvian guinea pig dish, cuy,

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I made this for dinner yesterday, and you guys...you wouldn't believe the amount of flavor this sauce has. I was taken aback by just how delicious it is. Highly, recommend. I did add some hot italian sausage meatballs, though. I think Alison does recipes for the BA website too.

I made this on Sat night and while I thought it was really good, it felt like it took more work to hit a lot of the same notes of the puttanesca recipe I usually make and prefer a bit overall. Looking forward to using the second half of the sauce base on something else soon, though.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of knives, does anyone send theirs out for sharpening and if so...how? Just look up someone? I have some knives that are still in good shape (10" chef's and 6" santoku) but definitely need a proper sharpening.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
On the topic of knives, does anyone send theirs out for sharpening and if so...how? Just look up someone? I have some knives that are still in good shape (10" chef's and 6" santoku) but definitely need a proper sharpening.
I am curious as well. I know some manufacturers will let you send them back for sharpening, or at least supposedly do. I think Shun does, and I am due for a sharpening

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about America, but most knife shops over here will sharpen them, plus scissors and razors.
Yeah my local Henkles and Wusthof outlets will sharpen their knives but not something from say Chicago Cutlery. I was hoping for something generic so I'm not spending money on a knife I don't need. If they were in shit condition I'd have no problem replacing them but everything but the edge is still in good shape. A quick google shows a couple places nearby. I'll give one a shot with one knife and the other with the other knife and see how it turns out.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
ok I got a kick out of this. Local sharpener has prices for different knife types. Anything look off here?

KNIVES
PARING KNIVES... $2.75
BONING KNIVES... 3.25
CHEF'S KNIVES.......3.75
BUTCHER KNIVES..3.75
CARVERS KNIVES..3.75
SLICING KNIVES....3.25
SUDOKU KNIVES..3.50​

I'd go the whetstone route but I don't want to fuck up my knife and the prices I'm seeing per piece are low enough that I'd rather a pro do it right than me screw up the edge (or do something dumb like not clean/hone post sharpen).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You can just buy a knife sharpener fairly cheaply--manual or automatic--and not have to worry about sending them off or paying for a service.

Status
Not open for further replies.