• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder who was the one to propose such a radical shift in editing and presentation for the YT channel. It's a clear shift.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
so why is bon appetit blowing up in this sphere at the moment, is it just 'cause it's been mentioned on a few gaming podcasts? i've been watching it for a long time and it's fabulous, all of them are great in their own way.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
so why is bon appetit blowing up in this sphere at the moment, is it just 'cause it's been mentioned on a few gaming podcasts? i've been watching it for a long time and it's fabulous, all of them are great in their own way.
The Youtube algorithm kept recommending me the "Gourmet makes" videos until I watched them and subscribed. It was never mentioned in any of other channels I follow, although recently I found out that Lindsay Ellis is a fan of Brad.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
The Gourmet Makes Twinkies episode (the first one) went viral in the summer of 2017, BA smartly capitalized on it by ramping up the production value and adding more people to the video team, and by now the entire channel has enough regular viewers and pops up in enough recommended lists that there's lots of side discussion elsewhere.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I was going through different playlists to see what else there was and came across this video of Claire. I didn't recognize her like at all, if I didn't read the description I wouldn't have even known it was her.

This is like the antithesis of current BA videos. It's so overly scripted and sterile. Poor Claire. 🤣

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Both of his videos with Brad on It's Alice were good, IMO. They have good chemistry. Although, Brad seems to get along with all of his guests.

I thought his appearance on It's Alive was really awkward. I got the sense that Babish was really nervous.

Also it's a shame about Vinny, like why does Babish even need a camera man? His tripod is his camera man.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
i wonder who was the one to propose such a radical shift in editing and presentation for the YT channel. It's a clear shift.
Found this nice nytimes article about Conde Nast's changing emphasis on video.

Maybe there was someone there who spearheaded the initiative, but it sounds like the corporate climate was already thinking about moving beyond the typical overhead, food videos. And once they saw the views from It's Alive and Gourmet Makes, they knew what direction they wanted to head.

What's interesting is the article talks about a separate Kitchen Studio... which I think I've seen once or twice on older videos. But it's clear they've scrapped it for the real test kitchen.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was going through different playlists to see what else there was and came across this video of Claire. I didn't recognize her like at all, if I didn't read the description I wouldn't have even known it was her.

Wow, it's weird seeing her without her signature grey locks.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I thought his appearance on It's Alive was really awkward. I got the sense that Babish was really nervous.

Also it's a shame about Vinny, like why does Babish even need a camera man? His tripod is his camera man.

Babish has started doing some other stuff now besides just the cooking videos. His Being with Babish series has him going out on trips and doing stuff. I don't particularly care for it but that's probably where he needs the most camera help.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Made this for dinner tonight.

Subbed pork for chicken breast I had on hand and did fresh soba because my grocery store doesn't carry fresh udon. Absolutely delicious meal. Took a picture, but plating is ugly af because I was starving.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Listening to the ba podcast ep with Dave Grohl right now. I love how puppy dog enthusiastic he is about smoking butts.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Behind the Scenes for an upcoming Gourmet Makes

tumblr_pw868twzzt1xg79ojpp.png

I've seen a number of people speculating that it's for Hot Pockets.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
yeah, it looks like she cut a hotpocket in half and is holding up the cross section

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
pizza? or ham and cheese?

meatball?

i guess pizza would be the most 'iconic'?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely pizza if she only chooses one filling. I guess it'll come down to how hard she thinks the whole process will be. The filling seems like it'd be the easiest thing to nail. Getting the shape right and making sure the dough isn't soggy will be the challenge.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I wonder if she's gonna try and recreate the crisping sleeve thing or not

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Pastry is where she's strongest, and hot pockets are a pretty basic hand pie, so she might even do a couple flavors of this one.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
oh there is a bon appetit OT now??? nice!!

I've been following that channel for some time now, but I think I really started to like them since the episodes of the perfect pizza, got to knew them better and now I like all of them...

I also tried some of their recipes and made me so happy I could finally recreate something they do, on the past they only posted very sophisticated recipes out of my reach

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume Ham and Cheese instead of pizza/meatball if they do hot pockets since it seems like the most iconic. Much like how they did strawberry for Pop-Tart even if Brown Sugar Cinnamon is the best. >:C

They made her toast the pop tarts. They will make her microwave the hot pockets.

I appreciate that kind of dedication to making what you are trying to copy. Would be much easier to just make a product removed from the intended use case of it.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God dammit, now I want a Hot Pocket. I don't think I've had one in years but suddenly a ham and cheese Hot Pocket sounds really good.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I would assume Ham and Cheese instead of pizza/meatball if they do hot pockets since it seems like the most iconic. Much like how they did strawberry for Pop-Tart even if Brown Sugar Cinnamon is the best. >:C

I appreciate that kind of dedication to making what you are trying to copy. Would be much easier to just make a product removed from the intended use case of it.
  1. The correct answer is Smores and I WILL FIGHT ANYONE ON THIS (but seriously brown sugar cinnamon is also fantastic, oh man)
  2. Heh, too bad about the Lucky Charms dissolving in milk then...

robot

Oct 27, 2017
God dammit, now I want a Hot Pocket. I don't think I've had one in years but suddenly a ham and cheese Hot Pocket sounds really good.
I wonder how involved the companies that make these products are with the show. It seems pretty hit or miss whether the original product comes out looking good or not.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
1 minute plating challenges are a great idea for videos.

Amiel wins just for putting the carrots he doesn't like in a dog bowl on the side.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
  1. The correct answer is Smores and I WILL FIGHT ANYONE ON THIS (but seriously brown sugar cinnamon is also fantastic, oh man)
  2. Heh, too bad about the Lucky Charms dissolving in milk then...

Smores was definitely my #2 seed. Think it was more because it wasn't always available/stocked while brown sugar cinnamon was. Never knew why anyone would pick any of the berry ones when brown sugar cinnamon was there.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

One of the most fantastic moments in my career was getting to work with Hot Pockets and Arby's on the same day. Purely coincidence too. They're my yin and yang of home and outside junk food. My north star and southern cross.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Smores was definitely my #2 seed. Think it was more because it wasn't always available/stocked while brown sugar cinnamon was. Never knew why anyone would pick any of the berry ones when brown sugar cinnamon was there.

I know, right? Like, the berry ones didn't taste anything like the actual berries and didn't even taste that good in a processed-sugar kind of way. If you're going to eat a Pop Tart, it should be one of the ones that leans into its industrial-grade artificiality!

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
At least they learned from the original gourmet makes video where they opened like 40 twinkies and then just threw them in the trash. Being needlessly wasteful is a weird flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.