• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Carla punching the massive hole in the dough gave me life.

And watching them put the pizzas in the oven gave me so many Making Perfect season 1 flashbacks.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Her last vid was just two weeks ago. She's on the BA instagram a bunch too.

They also recently added her picture to the YouTube header banner, along with Rick and Christina.

MinorSpotlessIlsamochadegu-size_restricted.gif

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I made the Making Perfect turkey and gravy for my family Thanksgiving today. They were both the best versions of those foods I have ever had. The gravy especially was a revelation.
Made the making perfect thanksgiving Potatoes for our family get together. They were really good, but don't think I'd usually want them in a regular sort of meal. They're just sort of strong in a way that I don't really like my mashed potatoes to be. They're usually just the filler or compliment to food where these are pretty overbearing. They were really good though.
I made the turkey recipe as well. Turned out great.

Gravy, I sort of went my own way—while I decided to roast the turkey in the oven this year, my wife really loved the gravy I would make from a smoked turkey. So I threw the turkey back, neck, and other trimmings into the smoker, then made stock from those bits, then made a basic roux-thickened gravy using that, the left over spice mix from the turkey, and some other herbs. I did take a cue from their recipe and add a big pinch of MSG, though. :)
I made the Corn Nuts stuffing (not the fried rice variant). I ended up with way too much liquid at the end, so I would either need to cook more of it off in the beginning or perhaps just ditch the white wine toward the end if I made it again. The final product was a little more soggy than I wanted, but it was still incredible. My family really enjoyed it.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I did everything but the Pecan Pie, because deserts were already spoken for and all of the recipes* were a hit across the board.

*Technically, I just did the honey glaze for the Brussel sprouts, I'm sure date molasses and lime is good, but the honey glaze Molly made was easier and sounded great on its own.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

Alright, fine! You got me!
I keep dancing around this thread every morning because I don't want to get hungry from seeing food related picture or videos.
Subscribed...

Partly because that one guy totally looks like Tony Hale from Arrested Development...
...and the fire scene at the end.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The freaking secret to making Amazing dough that's too wet normally for a peel for extra crispyness, without annihilating it with flour. Is to use parchment paper. Then slide it out from under the pizza after about a minute or two of cooking and let it finish normally in whatever kind of oven you have. So forgiving, so good.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The freaking secret to making Amazing dough that's too wet normally for a peel for extra crispyness, without annihilating it with flour. Is to use parchment paper. Then slide it out from under the pizza after about a minute or two of cooking and let it finish normally in whatever kind of oven you have. So forgiving, so good.

That Claire, the baker, has never thought of that makes me giggle.

I personally would have tried to Pam the ever loving sh*t out of the thing.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the regular pizza technique for getting it not to stick throwing some cornmeal down instead of flour?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Dumb question: does that work when the oven is 750F? A quick Google suggests parchment paper is only rated to about 500F, and the oven they're using is that fancy Breville pizza oven.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Sohla is a star. So effortlessly warm and engaging. A born teacher.

Those fritters look freaking amazing.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the regular pizza technique for getting it not to stick throwing some cornmeal down instead of flour?

Yes, that's pretty common and works well. But it does change the texture of your bottom crust to have the cornmeal baked on there.

Dumb question: does that work when the oven is 750F? A quick Google suggests parchment paper is only rated to about 500F, and the oven they're using is that fancy Breville pizza oven.

Yeah, the parchment paper might burn up in a super-hot pizza oven, and would probably interfere with the desired browning/charring on the bottom of the crust in a quick-cooking pizza like this. Would probably work well in typical home oven temperatures, though.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Sohla solo video! Yay!
Fried zucchini and onions?!? Be still my heart!
A wild Priya appears! My heart grows fonder!
Priya double dips

Not like this, Priya. NOT LIKE THIS.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Guys, is there any pizza dough mixture you would recommend? The Making Perfect one uses too many ingredient, 3 kinds of flour and sourdough starter. Id like something simpler to cook my first pizza ever.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, is there any pizza dough mixture you would recommend? The Making Perfect one uses too many ingredient, 3 kinds of flour and sourdough starter. Id like something simpler to cook my first pizza ever.

If you're willing to consider a different specific style of pizza, this other Bon Appétit recipe for a Grandma-style pizza is simpler, and good, and honestly probably better suited to the average home oven than what they're trying to do in Making Perfect.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Some youtube comment on one of their videos talked about one of the chefs being drunk at a bar and telling them that Alex Delaney turned into much more of an asshole when his videos started getting tons of views. It's a youtube comment so I put zero stock in it. But I can totally see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.