• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017

No thread yet?

It's seven episodes,each is around 17 minutes long. I'm up to episode 5 and I'm amused enough by it.

Despite being 18 rated, it's not graphic and it's quite a charming little show.

The music reminds me of True Romance.

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First time I heard of it. I had to look it up and watch the trailer. I'll watch. For now, I have Cobra Kai.

OP
OP
Blue Lou

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the series last night. Overall, I enjoyed it.

For a show so short, it's impressive how many characters are introduced and then re-introduced soon after where you see a different perspective of that character.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Had some good moments, fairly 6/10. I feel like it was pitched as a movie originally.

The ending felt a bit jarring for me.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Is that this guy?

1526782038917.jpg

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Not seen it but I know Sex Workers have torn this show to pieces because it borderlines on being insulting.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Saw it was a netflix show about bondage and figured it got the entire premise completely wrong to the point of being offensive (Atypical, 13 Reasons Why etc.)

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That article is useless for actually describing the problems.
Ironically, that news site could have consulted with an actual dominatrix to detail the problems that are causing real life dominatrixes to criticise the show. Otherwise gotta wait until a dominatrix does an article or video essay about how Bonding gets BDSM wrong.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Well we watched it with a friend and yeah, this show is problematic as fuck.

- This show is written, directed, produced, etc, by a MAN who has had a fleeting passing experience in the BDSM/Dominatrix scene
- This show disregards soo much to do with consent with clients, the main character is often forcing the assistant to do things against his will, pushing him into situations without telling him, in the actual BDSM scene this would never be done without any form of consent at all, the ONLY time the show touches on consent is of course when it's directed from Men towards Women (Sexual consent) which then comes across as a complete hypocrite moment since it's the main character who then rants about Consent whilst she is the biggest offender of NOT getting consent in the show
- In the real world, Clients often like to remain discreet, this show portrays those who indulge in BDSM as people who WILL show you up and shout about it at the worst possible times, showing that clients and those who partake in BDSM can not be trusted
- The main character meets potential enquires in her full gear, no actual domme would waste their own personal time doing this as it's considered "giving a free show" to those asking, the fun begins AFTER an agreement is made
- This show completely disregards screening in the industry, the finale is surrounded by this and makes out that all Sex Workers/BDSM workers will drop their own checks and safety if you simply offer them enough money, which is completely laughable
- There's a scene in the show where something happens where the LAW/POLICE would actually be on the side of the main characters, instead this show portrays that the Law/Police merely see them as prostitutes and don't care about helping and would care more about the potential serial killer/rapist instead, for fucking real
- The main character is written in a way that she's constantly an unlikable bitch and that's apparently how all Domme's are, couldn't be further from the damn truth but hey the show has got so much wrong at this point,m who cares

And then there's the stuff OUTSIDE of the show where Netflix/Twitter are happy to promote this show whilst treating actual sex workers and those in the BDSM lifestyle like shit. In a normal circumstance, Twitter will limit and shadowban accounts of Sex Workers and BDSM lifestyle promoters, even IF they tag themselves as 18+, Twitter has been banning accounts of actual Dom's speaking up about this show, meanwhile Twitter is allowing Netflix to promote a PARODY account that's supposed to be the Twitter account of the main character on the show, spouting all sorts of false crap and bad writing that's on the show, and Twitter has been promoting this account. So apparently it's ok to profit from Sex Workers.BDSM Lifetsyle folk when you're parodying them and it's OK to show this content, etc, but ACTUAL Sex Workers are still wrong and get punished on the very same platform. There was a call by other Sex Workers to tag themselves with this account to try and at least promote themselves in this situation "If you want to REALLY know what time with a domme is like...", and Netflix responded by REPORTING these comments, removing them and then Twitter shadowbanning the accounts. Seems fair right?

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Well we watched it with a friend and yeah, this show is problematic as fuck.

- This show is written, directed, produced, etc, by a MAN who has had a fleeting passing experience in the BDSM/Dominatrix scene
- This show disregards soo much to do with consent with clients, the main character is often forcing the assistant to do things against his will, pushing him into situations without telling him, in the actual BDSM scene this would never be done without any form of consent at all, the ONLY time the show touches on consent is of course when it's directed from Men towards Women (Sexual consent) which then comes across as a complete hypocrite moment since it's the main character who then rants about Consent whilst she is the biggest offender of NOT getting consent in the show
- In the real world, Clients often like to remain discreet, this show portrays those who indulge in BDSM as people who WILL show you up and shout about it at the worst possible times, showing that clients and those who partake in BDSM can not be trusted
- The main character meets potential enquires in her full gear, no actual domme would waste their own personal time doing this as it's considered "giving a free show" to those asking, the fun begins AFTER an agreement is made
- This show completely disregards screening in the industry, the finale is surrounded by this and makes out that all Sex Workers/BDSM workers will drop their own checks and safety if you simply offer them enough money, which is completely laughable
- There's a scene in the show where something happens where the LAW/POLICE would actually be on the side of the main characters, instead this show portrays that the Law/Police merely see them as prostitutes and don't care about helping and would care more about the potential serial killer/rapist instead, for fucking real
- The main character is written in a way that she's constantly an unlikable bitch and that's apparently how all Domme's are, couldn't be further from the damn truth but hey the show has got so much wrong at this point,m who cares

And then there's the stuff OUTSIDE of the show where Netflix/Twitter are happy to promote this show whilst treating actual sex workers and those in the BDSM lifestyle like shit. In a normal circumstance, Twitter will limit and shadowban accounts of Sex Workers and BDSM lifestyle promoters, even IF they tag themselves as 18+, Twitter has been banning accounts of actual Dom's speaking up about this show, meanwhile Twitter is allowing Netflix to promote a PARODY account that's supposed to be the Twitter account of the main character on the show, spouting all sorts of false crap and bad writing that's on the show, and Twitter has been promoting this account. So apparently it's ok to profit from Sex Workers.BDSM Lifetsyle folk when you're parodying them and it's OK to show this content, etc, but ACTUAL Sex Workers are still wrong and get punished on the very same platform. There was a call by other Sex Workers to tag themselves with this account to try and at least promote themselves in this situation "If you want to REALLY know what time with a domme is like...", and Netflix responded by REPORTING these comments, removing them and then Twitter shadowbanning the accounts. Seems fair right?

Think the worst part for me was when they reveal her backstory and it is the same stupid shit that tends to be labeled on all sex workers, because apparently according to most media out there featuring BDSM and sex work, you can't be into it, without there being some kind of trauma in your past.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well we watched it with a friend and yeah, this show is problematic as fuck....

Brilliant post and nailed all my thoughts

Also as Michael points out, sick to death of the BDSM / trauma assumption

You know what would be a shocking show? Showing consenting adults (including sex workers) engaging in BDSM as it's practiced widely in reality

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Enjoyed the show but the xylophone musical score is so bad. I swear I've heard that incidental style of music in every studio comedy trailer for the last 20 years.

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished the last episode and it was cute and everything but theres really not a lot here. If they're trying to hook an audience they could be doing a much better job of it and if it got canceled I wouldn't think twice about it. The same could be said for their other show "Special". It starts out with a lot of promise but then doesn't go anywhere with it.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Damn. First episode really laid out how much they screwed up in the finale. Felt like a course correction within and out the story.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Melodrama aside, this was a significant improvement from the first season. With the way it ended, it could be used as an ending, but I hope it gets one more season under its belt. It just might be able too with the pandemic dying down atm.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they addressed a lot of the problems with season 1 in the second season. I hope they do get another season.