• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Holy shit this game is cool, was only going to test out the feel of it based on some issues I was hearing. The climbing and interactions are definitely a bit wonky but wow a 10-minute test became a 2-hour go. It's pretty damn engaging, I love it so far.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Honestly after playing for a couple of hours I'm a little disappointed. The interactivity is genuinely amazing, and what you're able to do is pretty bonkers, but it feels to me like a really interesting mod of HL2 or Gary's Mod or something. I encountered a few game breaking bugs in the Museum, and had to keep restarting from the beginning of the level each time, which sucks balls when VR is all about novelty. I don't want to be traipsing through the same corridors over and over.

I also think they really shouldn't have gone with a full avatar. It feels super rubbery 99% of the time, flopping about and getting caught on stuff, especially when I tried the monkey bars in the climbing section. I don't see why they need the body when it gets in the way and doesn't really add anything to the experience, especially when equipment isn't even physically on the body for you to grab.

The animations and guns aren't great, either, especially the recoil. They're easy to shoot certainly, but compared to Pavlov, for example, of H3, they feel utterly weightless and without any meaty punch. And, as always, melee with swords and shit is awful, and I don't get why VR devs keep leaning on them.

None of which is to mention the actual 'game' parts, which, again, feel like they're just there to facilitate the interactivity, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just very little of it actually feels like it's there to give you interesting moments of 'huh, I figured that out' or 'huh, I'm doing something cool'. It's more like 'hey isn't it cool that you can physically interact with this thing in a very obvious way?' And yes, it is, the first time. But when you get killed by a turret and have to walk for 2 minutes to get back to the same point because you didn't interact with the physics object right, it gets quite tired.

I'm looking forward to play more, but I've stopped a few times now just because I'm annoyed, which isn't good for VR when it's a big thing to put it on and get set up etc.

Oct 25, 2017
After building up my VR legs over the past 3 years, Boneworks was inducing nausea within 15 minutes of playing. It's the way every physics interaction moves your entire perspective. I hope they can tone it down. I couldn't play more than 30 minutes or so last night.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After building up my VR legs over the past 3 years, Boneworks was inducing nausea within 15 minutes of playing. It's the way every physics interaction moves your entire perspective. I hope they can tone it down. I couldn't play more than 30 minutes or so last night.

I think you just have to be very conscious of what angers your VR body (great for immersion /s), and try to avoid actions that will forcefully move your perspective.

What headset are you using btw? I have an index at 120fps and I had surprisingly little negative physical reaction. I think the high refresh rate reduces nausea.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you just have to be very conscious of what angers your VR body (great for immersion /s), and try to avoid actions that will forcefully move your perspective.

What headset are you using btw? I have an index at 120fps and I had surprisingly little negative physical reaction. I think the high refresh rate reduces nausea.
I'm running an Index at 144 hz with very little (< 1%) reprojection.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Need to figure out how to make a controller profile that activates sprint when you press the analog stick all the way. Double tapping feels a little too awkward and slow to activate and holding the left stick in while moving never feels good. Not sure why games complicate that action. The analog stick has granularity for a reason.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I asked yesterday but didn't see an answer, has anyone figured out how to activate the sandbox module in the menu area? I plugged it in under the section marked sandbox and also have the blue key plugged in on the far left but nothing happens. Wondering if it only activates properly by finishing the game.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Only got to play an hour this morning but it was quite enjoyable! Didn't have any motion sickness issues, but I've been playing B&S a ton this month so that probably helped a lot. It's quite impressive so far.

I did however unfortunately get stuck at the balloon part of the museum. I put a bunch of them on my hands and they were too strong, dropped the gun in the second area and GG. Hopefully I can speedrun back to that after work.

Edit: Hearing the opinions about this game had been really interesting, just because they're so varied. I've heard both good and bad things regarding just about every single part of this game. Some people like the climbing, some people hate the climbing, Some people like the melee, some people hate the melee, Some people like the shooting, some people hate the shooting, Some people like the IK, some people hate the IK ETC.

I'm really excited to beat it myself and formulate my own impression.

Last edited:

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017

Not saying some more thought couldn't have been put into how the game handles physics, but this seems almost like getting VR Legs 2.0. You're just having to account for a full virtual body now, instead of just your hands and head. Of course adapting to an entire body would be easier if there was some real world interface/feedback to go with it.

Even very experienced VR players are having to consider things they didn't have to before. One could even say they've gotten so used to the current paradigm that it's difficult to retrain themselves.

Dec 23, 2017
Encountered my first robot headcrab, a lot scarier in person.

I legit jumped when it jumped at me, freaked me out pretty good.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

My first encounter with one was very awkward but funny. I just happened to be holding a trash can lid like a shield with a hammer in the other hand and I was basically using the trash can lid to deflect it when it jumped at me and then trying to rush in and hit it with the hammer before it recovered. My range was so short with the hammer though that it got a couple jumps in before I could actually take it out. If I hadn't had that trash can lid I would have freaked out.

....I don't know how I'm going to handle HL:Alyx lol.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying some more thought couldn't have been put into how the game handles physics, but this seems almost like getting VR Legs 2.0. You're just having to account for a full virtual body now, instead of just your hands and head. Of course adapting to an entire body would be easier if there was some real world interface/feedback to go with it.

Even very experienced VR players are having to consider things they didn't have to before. One could even say they've gotten so used to the current paradigm that it's difficult to retrain themselves.

A full virtual body isn't necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that without actual body tracking, the game has to guess what your limbs are doing. For arms it's often wrong, for legs its almost always completely and hilariously wrong. I don't think it makes games better that I have to think about how the dumbass IK system is going to respond to my movements.

Sure, we can get used to it, but I think it is bad VR. A huge part of the original appeal of VR is that actions could be more natural and didn't have to be learned in the way we all learned how to play flat games on controllers.

I think it's bad VR to have a jump button. I think smooth locomotion is bad VR. I think anything that moves your head unnaturally is bad VR.

IMO developers are abandoning "good VR" in the name of "good games". I'm not criticizing, though, because I'm not sure if they have much choice in the matter. Current VR does a very limited number of things extremely well, and everything else pretty poorly.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

This is one instance where the physics really impressed me, when the headcrab launched itself at me I instinctively put my hands up to shield myself and the in game hands actually had collision detection which prevented it from latching onto my head :P

It's also pretty cool in general how you can pry the thing off your head when it does and manipulate each of its limbs.

I hope this game/engine has a mod scene or sdk released, I'd love to see a Black Mesa with these kind of physics added in.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's also insanely frustrating that I have 2 perfectly good potential body trackers sitting there not being used because I can't buy the stupid steam controller dongle anymore. Leg tracking, Jumping, Natural locomotion? Nope fuck me I guess.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
got all the way to the warehouse (steam counter says 3hrs) its gotten better for sure, i will say that im not the biggest fan of the puzzles it slows the game down A LOT.

also full arms continues to be bleh.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This is one instance where the physics really impressed me, when the headcrab launched itself at me I instinctively put my hands up to shield myself and the in game hands actually had collision detection which prevented it from latching onto my head :P

It's also pretty cool in general how you can pry the thing off your head when it does and manipulate each of its limbs.

I hope this game/engine has a mod scene or sdk released, I'd love to see a Black Mesa with these kind of physics added in.
Might be out of the scope for mods, but I'm really curious what a PvP mode in this game would be like jank and all. It would be hard to figure out how to handle your ability (or non-ability) to physically manipulate other players like you can the AI though.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Curious as to whether I experienced a game-breaking bug or if I was just missing something. I was in the Museum in the Gravity Room at the part where the orange circle thing sends you up into the air so that you just drop down into the gift shop. It placed these tethers on me that didn't disappear when I went through the green force field, so I wasn't able to lower myself down or detach myself. I then died purposefully to the fan and I was restarted at the beginning of Floor 2, with the tethers still on me! I had to restart the whole Museum once again.

It's also annoying that there is a checkpoint at the beginning of Floor 2 when you die, but you can't select it from the menu. I've had to do that elevator puzzle too many times now. I got to the Streets and wanted to keep playing, but due to the poor checkpointing system I knew I would have to do it all over again since I didn't have much more time to play.

dodo021

Oct 27, 2017
I'm back from a 4 hours session on stream with my VALVe Index and wow... This game is amazing !
I have the chance to be immunized to motion sickness but I understand why some peoples can be sick. Espesialy the climbing.
Otherwise the gameplay feel realy great !

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Curious as to whether I experienced a game-breaking bug or if I was just missing something. I was in the Museum in the Gravity Room at the part where the orange circle thing sends you up into the air so that you just drop down into the gift shop. It placed these tethers on me that didn't disappear when I went through the green force field, so I wasn't able to lower myself down or detach myself. I then died purposefully to the fan and I was restarted at the beginning of Floor 2, with the tethers still on me! I had to restart the whole Museum once again.

It's also annoying that there is a checkpoint at the beginning of Floor 2 when you die, but you can't select it from the menu. I've had to do that elevator puzzle too many times now. I got to the Streets and wanted to keep playing, but due to the poor checkpointing system I knew I would have to do it all over again since I didn't have much more time to play.

Sounds like a bug. And yes, the checkpoint system is awful. The last scene I did took me upwards of an hour due to the puzzles, and I was forced to lay the headset down so I can eat dinner/deal with the kids just so I didn't lose my progress. Terrible idea from SLZ.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

FYI this happened to me, too. Thought I was missing something and had to redo it all.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I just went through that part and I don't think it's very clear but you can control yourself while in the gravity well. He thing that gives you tethers.

I had been kind of trying to flying myself through and then was pulled back so I just tried to use the analogue stick to move forward and my character floated that direction and back down into the gift shop.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been able to open the fake wall right before the physics mobility section in the museum? I brought the dumbbell over to it and tried to bash it open but didn't have any luck. If you go up and push it and moves like an inch or two.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone been able to open the fake wall right before the physics mobility section in the museum? I brought the dumbbell over to it and tried to bash it open but didn't have any luck. If you go up and push it and moves like an inch or two.

It just opened up for me. I read somewhere that it has to do with not incinerating the clipboard in the intro area (and thus allowing it to be sentient) as it's in the room right behind that afterwards.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
My first encounter with one was very awkward but funny. I just happened to be holding a trash can lid like a shield with a hammer in the other hand and I was basically using the trash can lid to deflect it when it jumped at me and then trying to rush in and hit it with the hammer before it recovered. My range was so short with the hammer though that it got a couple jumps in before I could actually take it out. If I hadn't had that trash can lid I would have freaked out.

....I don't know how I'm going to handle HL:Alyx lol.

this was 100% me with that same encounter, except it was impossible to hit after deflecting because the hammers range is so short and it kept scuttling away lol

Oct 25, 2017
Held a box up in the air and the headcrab bot tried to jump at me but landed on the box instead. Grabbed the headcrab's leg and proceeded to flail it against the wall until it broke.

This game is great.

I noticed something; in the museum, the Ninja throwing knives you pick up are weighted towards the tip, which gives them a REALLY good feel when passing them back and forth in the hands, and gently tossing up to switch your grip on them. The forward weight also makes them like, actually throw straight, and they are the first time I've had so much fun throwing knives in VR at some test dummies, simply because they actually go where I want them to.
I did notice that if you put them away in storage, they lose that weight balance and just become dumb floppy center weighted objects somehow, which is a disappointment.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Well, I'm stuck.
Just got out of them employment building where I bought the first gun, and I can figure out what to do next.
I get the feeling the game wants me to jump over the wall near the garbage, but the stairs physic object isn't enough.

Lmao at the first headcrab though. I grabbed it off my head and tried slamming it against the wall, tried headbutting it, tried ripping it's legs off, but the bastard wouldn't die.

I ended up carrying it over to the now disabled turret, holding it in front of the barrel, and tapping the button on the back.

Oct 27, 2017
Any Odyssey+ impressions concerning tracking here at all? I saw a few earlier today on reddit that said it was pretty good but I'd like to hear from so folks here on their experience with it if possible.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I'm stuck.
Just got out of them employment building where I bought the first gun, and I can figure out what to do next.
I get the feeling the game wants me to jump over the wall near the garbage, but the stairs physic object isn't enough.

Lmao at the first headcrab though. I grabbed it off my head and tried slamming it against the wall, tried headbutting it, tried ripping it's legs off, but the bastard wouldn't die.

I ended up carrying it over to the now disabled turret, holding it in front of the barrel, and tapping the button on the back.

wow you can do that? I will try that after work tonight

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Ok I came back to this game and a lot of it clicked for me, this is great. Still janky but slowly getting used to it. What helped me when jumping and climbing was crouching. You can crouch-jump in this game. Seriously, crouching the moment you jump off the ground makes scaling much easier. They really did make a Half-Life game lol

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019

Yeah you need to throw all the things into the archive, then its open. This video explains it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULUcw-0J5gc

Its how you unlock sandbox mode.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Stuck again, this time in the trash room at the elevator puzzle.
Stopped for now, as the Quest is uncomfortable and I need a rest.
The wow factor of the Physics has more or less worn off now.
The game is nice as a proof of concept, but the puzzles aren't fun.
Too much time spent fucking about with janky physics.
Not to mention all the issues outlined in Krejlooc's thread.

Edit: Motherfucker, the answer was actually the first thing I tried, except it didn't work then because fuck me.

Edit 2: Alright, It's just straight up not working on my game. Fuck my life.

Last edited:

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Also had a better second night of it. Cleared the "run off" stage but almost quit at the gravity room. Had the solution early but had to deal with so much jank for it to work. Will probably try to clear a level every so often, as it takes quite a while to clear with no opportunity to break midway through which I'm not super into.

How are you supposed to clear the first puzzle in that stage, with the elevator and the blue/orange buttons/pipes that each move a separate arm? I couldn't figure out the actual solution but was able to fall/climb my way into the room above the elevator is supposed to take you to.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any Odyssey+ impressions concerning tracking here at all? I saw a few earlier today on reddit that said it was pretty good but I'd like to hear from so folks here on their experience with it if possible.
I'm not having any issues other than the ability to physically place items onto my back (which may just be an issue seated, i'll have to check standing later) and you can just do that with the quick menu anyway so it's not really a problem.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ive only owned my quest for a few days so far and only have a few hours into vr but wow the immersion in this game is on another level. I am a half hour in and haven't felt any motion sickness. I almost lost my balance ducking while moving in game but that's it lol. I have never been prone to motion sickness and grew up offshore fishing, but I am not sure if that would have anything to do with it. Anyhow, cool game! Time to play more.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
hey why cant you fucking pull yourself up a ledge? the puzzles in this game are the opposite of fun.