• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the story mode, I really enjoyed the last few levels and think the campaign would have been stronger if they ditched the cumbersome and janky physics puzzles in the first half. Also it was incredibly fun using the utility gun and other "dev guns" such as the gravity and nimbus ones in the campaign. I beat the final boss with a combo of balloons and a sword in the ass, can't say I've beaten an enemy that way before in a game :P

Can't wait to see what SLZ adds to it in the future, there's a lot of potential here with the framework they've built.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So got down to playing this. It's really cool. I was worried about motion sickness but I've had none and I'm going real hard.

literally the best glass breaking in a game ever. They really nailed VR throwing.

So what's the draw of this game? I don't get it. It seems like something that would be exciting in 2017, but at the end of 2019 everything I see about it has already been done in other games. Which would be fine if there was a solid, lengthy, narrative driven game behind it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Better simulation than ever done before in any game ever, mainly. It's exciting in 2019 and will be in 2020.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah they need to implement checkpoints, the omission is strange given there are checkpoints for when you die but there is zero saving per level upon exit of the game, you either finish the one you're on and unlock the next or gotta do all of it over again. Bit of a head scratcher that one.

Enjoying it a bit more that there's more shootouts going on where I'm at, one moment that was cool was after emptying a clip I instinctively swung my gun at the enemy that was close enough and it actually melee killed them.

The puzzles are pretty eh so far in design, and the platforming/make your own platform sections I think are more frustrating than intuitive due to the janky physics. Also what is going on with the camera when climbing anything, I assume it's due to the whole IK body interacting with the geometry and that affecting the position of the first person cam but it's still a lot more jarring than in other VR games. Blade & Sorcery's view doesn't seem to go nearly as wacky when climbing something and that has an IK body as well.

I hope the story starts to develop more cause the hints of the world building and atmosphere in the tutorial section were fantastic but it feels like the actual levels aren't giving much of anything in the way of plot other than the occasional Portal-esque notes scrawled on walls.

The physics are great and the shooting fun but I'm not sure if it's enough, kinda feels like I'm going through the motions and the level design is just okay. Hopefully things start to get crazier with the environment and enemies, I just assume something nuts is gonna happen later what with all those pockets of distortions in the simulation lying around.
I just finished Moss and it has a fantastic checkpoint system. I wanted to play this, but I am not down with the complaints about this game's checkpoint system. Hopefully they can fix it. I really want to dive in, but I will not due to this reason. VR can make me pretty sick so having good checkpoints will make it easier for me to finish the game.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
my god this game is janky. i cant pass the first puzzle in the museum. i am not able to jump from block to block. and falling down means that i need to do the whole crap again from the beginning. after like 10 triers i gave up. honestly they made the game look way cooler than it actually is in trailers.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
my god this game is janky. i cant pass the first puzzle in the museum. i am not able to jump from block to block. and falling down means that i need to do the whole crap again from the beginning. after like 10 triers i gave up. honestly they made the game look way cooler than it actually is in trailers.

It's you not the game check your height jumping isn't hard in this game once you get used to it.

Make sure your height and floor are configured correctly.

you can run hold down jump crouch a little then jump to get good distance. Once you figured it out it's super easy and you will run right through stuff like this.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I really hope there's a proper hard mode, enemies are basically just paper targets in this game.

The overall experience would be better if it's actually challenging, thus immersive.

Smitington

Oct 27, 2017
Denver
Picked up Boneworks last night, and though the tech is clearly amazing.... this was the first game in a while that made me realize it might be time to upgrade some of my PC hardware. I'm playing on a HTC Vive, my video card is a RX480 and buddy...... it was choppy.

I'm certainly in the "enthusiast" crowd when it comes to VR, but I just also have a family, two cars and a kid on the way, and my budget for my toys is about $100 a month. (Not complaining). I guess its time to start saving up.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
It's you not the game check your height jumping isn't hard in this game once you get used to it.

Make sure your height and floor are configured correctly.

you can run hold down jump crouch a little then jump to get good distance. Once you figured it out it's super easy and you will run right through stuff like this.

Damn, some of those jumps are impressive. I really need to use the slow motion more. I love the navigation and body presence, it may be a lot of VR sins but it doesn't make me sick at all and it's going to be hard to go back to games that don't have it.

Oct 25, 2017
Crosspost:
Post Launch Update: After 12 days of post launch bug fixes, we break for the holidays but leave you with some gifts.

From what I noticed while playing for 3 hours last night, jumping no longer bobs your head up and down, and climbing/holding onto ropes doesn't bounce the players head+arms around like a bungee cord. Both still take the players body into account. Its a substantial comfort improvement. Saves are still coming in January.

Yes your hands still get stuck in stuff, and pushing down with your arms on pretty much any object in the world still makes your body move upwards slightly. They did good work with these minor improvements, props where its due.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Finally played today for the first time for 2h straight. No comfort issues whatsoever, but damn, their decision to include full body simulation is one of the most immersion breaking things in this game. Just seeing your arms twist in completely unnatural ways sours the experience immensely for me. Thankfully, playing the actual game seems interesting enough and I really love that any dumbass approach you come up with in a level can work, looking forward to the rest of the game.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That area in Runoff with the slippery floor - holy shit. I missed a rung at the end and had to do the whole thing twice, haha.

Bought and played for a little while today. Will put in for a refund. Little too janky for me.

It is definitely a game that requires more than its refund window to 'click'. You have to get used to it.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boy at the very end with 200 ft ladder, jesus christ, are they serious with this? I've tried climbing this 3 times now and it bugs out causing me to fall. I've enjoyed the game overall, but it is chock-full of bad game design elements. Frankly, all of their puzzles have been extremely annoying and tedious in VR. Platforming is just not a good fit for this medium. At least not first person.

Also, glad Valve didnt go for the full body/rigid body thing for HL:Alyx. It is so frustrating to deal with sometimes. My rifles constantly getting caught in between the arms is really annoying.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Finally played today for the first time for 2h straight. No comfort issues whatsoever, but damn, their decision to include full body simulation is one of the most immersion breaking things in this game. Just seeing your arms twist in completely unnatural ways sours the experience immensely for me. Thankfully, playing the actual game seems interesting enough and I really love that any dumbass approach you come up with in a level can work, looking forward to the rest of the game.

It's funny how a lot of posters who have never used VR were complaining about not having full body in HL:Alyx and everyone who has actually played games with it thinks it's not a good idea

Oct 25, 2017
Boy at the very end with 200 ft ladder, jesus christ, are they serious with this? I've tried climbing this 3 times now and it bugs out causing me to fall. I've enjoyed the game overall, but it is chock-full of bad game design elements. Frankly, all of their puzzles have been extremely annoying and tedious in VR. Platforming is just not a good fit for this medium. At least not first person.

Also, glad Valve didnt go for the full body/rigid body thing for HL:Alyx. It is so frustrating to deal with sometimes. My rifles constantly getting caught in between the arms is really annoying.
VR platforming is actually pretty good in games like Sprint Vector and To the Top, as well as action games like Sairento. Boneworks putting an unreliable meat puppet body between you and the platforming is the problem. Even early tech demos like Freedom Locomotion VR create a more enjoyable platforming experience for the player.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
It's funny how a lot of posters who have never used VR were complaining about not having full body in HL:Alyx and everyone who has actually played games with it thinks it's not a good idea
Yup, when HL:A got announced I kept telling people that it's not immersion breaking not to see your body in VR but it felt like peeing against the wind.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Managed to complete that weight balanced platform puzzle early in the game by wedging a trash can in between the two poles that controlled the tethers and permanently pulling the lever that controlled it to the left by covering the lever with the trash can and using the lid to wedge it under a metal bar so that it didn't shift back to the center. That was definitely not the intended solution but it worked and that instantly became one of my favorite VR moments of all time.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Am I missing something or is there no way to pull yourself up onto a platform when you climb somewhere? Seems weird.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, when HL:A got announced I kept telling people that it's not immersion breaking not to see your body in VR but it felt like peeing against the wind.
To be fair, I was one of the people lamenting it but I did mention floaty hands aren't as immersion breaking as people were thinking either and work just fine. It was just a bit disappointing to me since we've been getting a lot more VR games with full bodies lately and personally I prefer it and find it more immersive even when it's not perfect. Especially when we're embodying a specific character. Ideally we'd just have the option to turn off/on the body/arms so people could choose for themselves.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I was one of the people lamenting it but I did mention floaty hands aren't as immersion breaking as people were thinking either and work just fine. It was just a bit disappointing to me since we've been getting a lot more VR games with full bodies lately and personally I prefer it and find it more immersive even when it's not perfect. Especially when we're embodying a specific character. Ideally we'd just have the option to turn off/on the body/arms so people could choose for themselves.

I don't know if allowing a toggle would work in every case - in Boneworks toggling full body would not just be a visual thing, it would have gameplay implications as well

Ciberjm

Aug 7, 2019
Am I missing something or is there no way to pull yourself up onto a platform when you climb somewhere? Seems weird.
Grab the platform with both hands, move the hands in real life to your real floor, then use the input for crouching in the game (I think it was right joystick down on the Rift) so your ingame legs move up, then it's a matter of pushing yourself forward a bit. Took me a while to learn but then I was able to climb platforms fine with this

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Grab the platform with both hands, move the hands in real life to your real floor, then use the input for crouching in the game (I think it was right joystick down on the Rift) so your ingame legs move up, then it's a matter of pushing yourself forward a bit. Took me a while to learn but then I was able to climb platforms fine with this
Will try, thanks.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Will try this once I'm able to play again, I was pissed off not being able to figure it out on my first play session.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if allowing a toggle would work in every case - in Boneworks toggling full body would not just be a visual thing, it would have gameplay implications as well
Yeah, I don't mean for any games where the body is a physical object. Boneworks is the only one I can think of where that's the case actually.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it today, I really enjoyed it. No real VR discomfort. Of course extreme levels of fighting against the physics system. I still found it really rewarding and interesting, and I know I didn't solve some of those puzzles right. One puzzle in particular I'm almost certain I didn't solve any intended way, I just piled a bunch of stuff up and tried to jump up to a higher level for 45 minutes. Not the best moment but there it was.

The best traditional game moments were doing fairly traditional game things - FPS combat, especially the firearms, felt great. (minus priming a MP5 in the heat of battle) I thought the climbing was mostly fine, and I think they should have used simple climbing more frequently. I never really lost any time from climbing mishaps...

There were a LOT of areas I didn't find keys for, I feel like the game is teeming with secrets.

Anyways this is one game I'd LOVE to see serious speedruns for, both glitching and glitchless. I'd love to see what wild stuff a skilled player might do in this game.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Wasn't a patch released that added some kind of checkpoint system?

Took a break and came back to the damn beginning of the level just like at launch. Really frustrating for a VR game that's already a little janky to make you repeat so much.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Took a break and came back to the damn beginning of the level just like at launch. Really frustrating for a VR game that's already a little janky to make you repeat so much.
I just search for this topic regarding the game and didn't find anything. I hope you are right and I suck at searching.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017

They said it would come some time in January, but I dont think it has hit yet.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Wasn't when I beat it.

Some of the levels really go on though, especially if you want to find any secrets, it'd be good to have save points.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
A dev on their Steam discussions page mentioned they're working on it as fast as they can, this was posted yesterday iirc.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
A dev on their Steam discussions page mentioned they're working on it as fast as they can, this was posted yesterday iirc.
I wish I knew about this shit before I started playing. I lost so much progress I was considering never playing again, but I'll wait for this update.

Ridiculous terrible oversight by the devs. Definitely sounds like poor planning. A puzzle game without saves lol

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I knew about this shit before I started playing. I lost so much progress I was considering never playing again, but I'll wait for this update.

Ridiculous terrible oversight by the devs. Definitely sounds like poor planning. A puzzle game without saves lol

the puzzles aren't exactly hard and once you figure a level out It takes no time to get back to where you left off. Also you need to finish levels multiple times to find all the secrets and ammo if you want the devs guns at the end.

I had zero issues with the save system I actually like the fact you have to finish the levels in one run.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I had zero issues with the save system I actually like the fact you have to finish the levels in one run.
The thing is I had to get up in the morning for something so when I got stuck I really just couldn't keep going I was very close to the end too. I was pretty upset when I first posted about this.

I might give it another go tonight since I have no time limit.

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The thing is I had to get up in the morning for something so when I got stuck I really just couldn't keep going I was very close to the end too. I was pretty upset when I first posted about this.

I might give it another go tonight since I have no time limit.

don't get me wrong it can be frustrating but for me As I learned the levels I could eventually finish them really quickly. It generally won't take long to get back to wear you left off the levels aren't that big.

I probably was stuck in streets for 5 hours through a couple play sessions but it feels good to finally finish it.

I'm still playing through the levels again melee only to collect all the ammo I need and boneworks boxes.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New update is up with save point!

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: BONEWORKS :: BONEWORKS SAVE-SPOTS UPDATE

BONEWORKS SAVING, New Brawl mode, New Collectibles, Additional Sandbox updates, Fixes
Welcome to the first major update of 2020! We've been working hard to simultaneously add new content, improve the existing experience of the campaign, and strengthen the core tech for you to enjoy in this and future SLZ titles! Today we bring you:
  • New Content
  • Save spots
  • Brawl mode
  • Improved climbing stability
  • Improved hand responsiveness to quick actions
  • Sandbox Gachapons
  • Blankbox, performance light sandbox
  • Adjustments and fixes

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
same same but different

BoBsznl.jpg

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
In all honesty I would prefer if they would just add an update to choose just hands and no body, as it feels bad when your body is knocking things over when you go near them, it feels really clumsy.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to going back to this now that it's been patched a few times, and seeing how I feel post-Alyx. Glad to see they're going to continue working on it because there's still a lot of promising elements to it.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone play this post patches? I just hopped in for the first time yesterday after the [redacted] patch, and i'm having a hell of a time with it. No Motion Sickness concerns, though i understand they've improved that a lot.

I've played like 3 hours, and just got probably half way through the first real level (Streets?).

The climbing, and the physics interactions this game have feel more janky than Alyx, but it does feel like theres much more you can do. The campaign thus far feels more aimless and requires you to kind of poke around and make your own fun, but the threshold for that fun is also really high.

I'm doing a lot of internal comparisons to Alyx as I play, and thus far it feels like it is at least in a similar playfield.