• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Martin Surbeck remembers the episode vividly. He was in the Congo's LuiKotale rain forest, watching a group of bonobos, African apes that are closely related to chimpanzees. Two of them—Uma, a female, and Apollo, a young, low-ranking male—were trying to have sex. Camillo, the highest-ranked male in the group, caught wind of their liaison and tried to come between them. But Hanna, Apollo's mother, rushed in and furiously chased Camillo away, allowing her son and his mate to copulate in peace.

This was just one of the many memorable incidents that Surbeck and his colleagues at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology have observed over 16 years of watching bonobos. Their analysis confirmed how the different bonobos were related, and clearly showed that mothers were repeatedly and actively improving their sons' sex lives.

Sometimes, they did so without trying. Bonobos live in mostly matriarchal societies, where females both occupy the highest ranks and form the core of social groups. If sons stick close to their mothers, they're more likely to end up at the center of a community, where more females sit. "That creates more mating opportunities," Surbeck says. "It's not that the moms physically drag their sons over. It's more like a social passport."

But mothers frequently took matters into their own hands, too. As Hanna did, they would stop unrelated males from interfering with their sons' sexual encounters. They'd interfere themselves, stopping unrelated males from mating with other females. They'd gang up with their sons to evict other males from trees with lots of females.

Surbeck thinks that the mothers use these strategies as a way of furthering their own genetic legacy. They can do this by having more children of their own, or by ensuring that their children give them more grandchildren. They have little influence over their daughters, since bonobo females tend to leave home to find their own communities. Males, however, stay with their birth group, and especially near their mothers. Even in the best-case scenario, a male bonobo can easily go through life without reproducing, and without a mother's presence, the odds of his having a kid are around one in 14. To increase the size of her own dynasty, a mother needs to ensure that her sons have the best sexual opportunities.

And that's exactly what the team has now found: Males who still live with their mothers were three times more likely to sire their own children than those whose mothers had gone.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...care-a-lot-about-their-sons-sex-lives/589795/

Do you wish your mother were that concerned about improving your sex life?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
i remember reading an article some years ago about japanese mothers giving their sons blowjobs to get them to study.
tenor.gif

miobrien

Oct 30, 2017
i remember reading an article some years ago about japanese mothers giving their sons blowjobs to get them to study.
Hahaha, I remember that thread too!

It's reassuring to discover that I'm not the only one who's been reading GAF/ERA for almost two decades...

I believe this is the original thread but the link it cites doesn't seem to work anymore.

Moms go Down. Grades go up. Stomach contents go up.
https://www./threads/moms-go-down-grades-go-up-stomach-contents-go-up.49572/

OP
OP
Piecake

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017

It's reassuring to discover that I'm not the only one who's been reading GAF/ERA for almost two decades...

I believe this is the original thread but the link it cites doesn't seem to work anymore.

Just think, you forget 90% of what you learn and this is one of the facts that was included in your 10% 15 years later.

Oct 27, 2017

According to that thread, it's satire. Japan's version of The Onion.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I don't know why but I thought this was going to be an article about mom's who son wore bonobos and for some reason they were worried about their ability to meet women.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is kinda beautiful.
Meanwhile, my mom was going out of her way to embarrass me and my sister actively cockblocked me at least one time that I know of. :(