• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
They might not share his opinions, they are giving him a platform and should be called out for it. Boogie doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt or that he has changed because it definitely doesn't look like he has and he should continue to be called out for it.

What platform? The GA? What's he gonna do there? You mean by being there he can get new fans? Well, that might be true but that's on people.

Or you mean money for him? Well, I don't know what to say about that really.

A voice? I don't think he'll say anything on the show, he might have like seconds of screen time and maybe present an award so, whatever his opinions are it's not the place to share them unless he wants to take an oportunity to ruin the show and his relationship.

I really think is not a big deal, unless he's a criminal that should be in prison. In any case, I don't give a damn about him, I just think that it's rushed to jump into conclusions regarding people that like him because we know very little about their relationships.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame to see Geoff publicly reach out to this guy, it seems very unnecessary even. But Boogie is just a small part of a larger problem.

This is a problem that is effecting a lot of YouTube channels and some might even do it to stir up controversy and get more views. Im noticing an increasing number of channels like SpawnWave that are taking this 'centrist' approach, most recently when it comes to Battlefield V detractors being just people asking for historical accuracy in video games which couldn't be further from the truth. Youtube is platform that is being weaponized by evil people and nothing is being done to stop it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

Boogie explained in his own words how he feels about these characterizations about him. I disagree with the way he pushes aside basically any negative conclusion but his own, but I appreciate the attempt by him to be frank. I always leave room for the chance of distortions of how people are in their personal lives vs a media-driven public persona. That being said, my criticism is of his public persona. He acts like I must be basing criticism on rumors and whispers, and I don't think he honestly grasps the collective direction of his own words, acts, and theses.

If I was Geoff I would be saying something about that. That is if Geoff isn't what Boogie is saying he is..

Because Boogie's "Both Sides" is just a lie. He makes it very obvious where he stands. "Both sides" out of his mouth is just to not piss off viewers and allow him to feel like he can say radical shit with immunity.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I was a massive fan of boogie but after the Jon tron stuff (wasn't really aware of his GG stuff at the time) I just couldn't respect him at all.

The more you learn about boogie, the more you realise he is a horrible person who isn't just 'stupid' but actively plays on his history of mental health issues to gain an audience who will back and fund him no matter what.
It's so true that the more I'm learning about him the more eye opening it is. Ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
"So Boogie, glad you could make it. How are you?"
"Really well which might be because of the advances in medicine based on the """research""" of Dr. Mengele during World War II"
"That's uhm...any games you played rece..."
"See, the holocaust was bad but good things came from it! A lot was learned from sowing twins together and we got the diary of Anne Frank which, you know, is a great thing!"
"Well anyway here is your lifetime achievment award for representing the average gamer out there."

Honestly tho "The holocaust was bad but we got Anne Frank's diary out of it" is probably the fucking weirdest thing I have ever seen on Twitter. Twitter! Think about that for a minute.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think is not a big deal, unless he's a criminal that should be in prison. In any case, I don't give a damn about him, I just think that it's rushed to jump into conclusions regarding people that like him because we know very little about their relationships.
I don't, This is supporting an awful person and inviting him to an event that should be showing the good of gaming. Inviting him does the opposite of that.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The pettiness in this thread is unreal. Unfortunate that the mods undid there decision.

And people wonder why nobody takes the forum seriously. He isn't being given a platform, he was just invited to attend the ceremony.
man who tf gives a shit if this forum is taken seriously or not, dudes a piece of shit and is rightfully being called out

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
so let's see

said that saying "fag" is ok because it's a internet meme

said some good things came out of the holocaust

blamed a massive harassment campaign against a MtG cosplayer on the game company making cards that include women and minorities

partially blamed Anita for Charlotesville

all jokes ok, except fat jokes in which case you are a complete monster

said that gay people should have waited more time for civil rights, blames bigot's violence on progress being too fast

got banned on GAF over threatening suicide over people calling him out on his gamergate support

said that we have to "meet in the middle with him" in regards to someone who thinks black people are genetically inferior

and this, my friend, is a small sample.
Only a small sample indeed. Dudes a piece of work.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I love the assumption that we would have solved all the issues people have around Gay marriage if we had had an extra 5 years.

What was going to happen in those 5 years? The LGBT 5 year plan? The LGBT New Deal? The LGBT Industrial Complex?

If only we had had those 5 years.

---

On some level I can't hate Boogie because I see how his mind is working on this, it's the same thing I said in the Jaffe thread, the tears in the eyes "America was founded on free speech and I may disagree but I'll die for your right to say it" overblow rhetoric that looks on the surface like it has some depth to it but actually doesn't.

He's just too dumb to be talking about politics, expecting Boogie to have a well realised political opinion is as [inset simile here]. He's just trying to do this passionate pragmatism shit but he's just way out of his depth.

You know i've just realised while typing this that tying political discussion in to the gaming community was one of the stupidest things anybody has ever done as the vast majority of people are not equipped to discuss it properly, yet have massive followings and fans.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I can't go around persecuting everyone who is too weak to stand up for themselves in political discussions. Same for Geoff tbh. It's disappointing that they aren't stronger people, but that's how the majority of civilians are. My ire is focused on the people that are the source of the issue, such as Boogie and Colin.

What? This isn't about not standing up for themselves. It's one thing to just not know how to reply to Colin on a show or whatever you're framing it as; it's another to go to your other industry friends and act like they're being mean by calling out his garbage, which is what Greg did.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Boogie explained in his own words how he feels about these characterizations about him. I disagree with the way he pushes aside basically any negative conclusion but his own, but I appreciate the attempt by him to be frank. I always leave room for the chance of distortions of how people are in their personal lives vs a media-driven public persona. That being said, my criticism is of his public persona. He acts like I must be basing criticism on rumors and whispers, and I don't think he honestly grasps the collective direction of his own words, acts, and theses.

An ally...

Ahahahaha

With allies like boogie who needs the Axis?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why arent more people covering the problems with this award show like kotaku or Waypoint? Have I just missed this, because the number of people this show is promoting and celebrating that espouse racist/misogynistic content is seriously problematic.
Because the gaming community is fucking disgusting.

I automatically assume that any YouTuber or "personality" in the gaming industry is either openly or secretly a piece of shit. I've just completely stopped caring at this point because it's all just a cesspool of alt-right nazi assholes or people who defend or enable them

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean I don't agree w/ the dude's "both sides" tripe but let's not pretend he's not a mainstream youtuber. It's kinda eyerolling from me but I'm not shocked he'd be invited to something like that. They give zero shits.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Every time I stray into the Gaming side of Era and a topic like this arises, I am always shocked at the amount of people defending the person in question. Whataboutisms, finger wagging, outright denial... I'm glad to see that for the most part this type of stuff is actively called out and condemned.
And that's not even to start on how backwards and archaic so much of the industry's views are on LGBT matters like the one posted as an example of this guy's nonsense.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
getting reports there's several conservatives attending the video game awards, fuck you Geoff, not watching this now. Actually, I will only watch the new game reveals and mute the rest, eat shit Geoff.

Conservatives =/= alt-right, and the former group shouldn't be ostracized just for having different opinions than you. In fact, that's the type of commentary that breeds "both-sides" arguments, or arguments that liberals are just as intolerant. Now, citing actual hate speech is a different thing altogether.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Boogie just wants to feel intelectually superior to everyone else. He isn't an ideologue, he's a centrist, he believes the truth always lies in the middle, because that's a 14 year old's interpretation of what being a moderate is, so he uses it to cater to the alt right audience that probably comprises a good portion of his viewership while keeping plausible deniability from left wing critics.

Centrism doesn't lie in being utterly incapable of taking a stand in ANY issue (hey, a lot of good came out of the Holocaust too, guys!) but in not subscribing wholesale to a certain ideology. A pro-choice, pro gay rights, pro 2nd amendment and pro market economy politician could be described as a centrist (some Democrats in Congress fit that bill, for instance), not someone who looks like they would spontaneously combust at the mere thought of having to take a side. He's South Park made flesh, only worse. You care about a a certain issue, therefore you're a right/left wing lunatic who is too stupid to realize the truth lies in the middle. Dude, you're fucking 44 years old get the fuck outta my face with this teenager bullshit.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
He looks much healthier. The two sides schtick he put out there was peak dumb.. i can only assume Geoff and other organizers aren't aware of that part of the gamergate saga. I prefer to think that than to think they're also as naive and dismissive. I don't mean him any ill will... If he wants to rehabilitate his image the same way he's rehabilitating his body, it may mean rehabilitating some of his views and considering his role and comments during such events though. He's said some truly stupid harmful stuff.
There's absolutely no chance Geoff doesn't know about it, this exact same backlash happened when Boogie was invited to Geoff's E3 show earlier this year and Geoff was completely silent on the issue. The hope was that while he couldn't uninvite Boogie to that show, he'd stop inviting him to future shows. But nope, it's clear Geoff just doesn't give a fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
The pettiness in this thread is unreal. Unfortunate that the mods undid there decision.

And people wonder why nobody takes the forum seriously. He isn't being given a platform, he was just invited to attend the ceremony.
There's normal Era overreacting
And then there's Boogie where "why didn't the gays just wait LUL" is horrifically fucking stupid.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff Keighley doesn't give a fuck about any of this. Arranging an awards show with showy trailers doesn't make him a good guy. Stop putting him on a pedestal and accept he is as ignorant as the rest of these idiots. You'll be a lot less disappointed.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all surprise this ass was invited. One more reason to just pay attention to twitter for the trailer releases instead of watching this show. Geoff this is not a good look. Maybe it's purely business for you to get every view you can even if you turn some off or maybe you genuinely like the guy but be able to read the situation clearly and don't publicly invite the nazi sympathizer to a big media event and then ignore those calling you out for it. What boogie has said is not something that was unknown. This is worse then the Ninja situation. All these things show just how amateurish this whole endeavor continues to be. Not inviting or associating with the nazi sympathizer publicly should be PR 101! That's not just aimed at Geoff but everyone.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of his comments are really troubling to read but I haven't seen/watched him in a while and I have to say it looks like he's lost A LOT of weight. I'm at least happy he is taking care of himself physically.

GIANKRATOS

Oct 26, 2017
There's no way you know Boogie yet you don't know the dumb shit he says, it's everywhere.

Having just finished working 5-6 years non stop as a game director on one of the biggest AAA game of the year seems like a good way to me of not being up to date with the personal views of x gaming personality.

He probably just knows him as a big youtube personality and it stops there, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and wait before jumping to conclusions and condemn him for a tweet.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I mean I don't agree w/ the dude's "both sides" tripe but let's not pretend he's not a mainstream youtuber. It's kinda eyerolling from me but I'm not shocked he'd be invited to something like that. They give zero shits.

I mean it's a mainstream youtuber because we keep pushing dudes like him and making them the faces of gaming. If stopped giving this guy an attention maybe he wouldn't be as mainstream.

But inviting him at the TGAs and E3 events isn't going to solve it.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
What a toolbag. Send my pumpkin ass instead. I'll make sure to throw shade on all the dickbags in attendance. Will interview each with a wired mic. With the cable connected to my pocket. Pocket will be empty though.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Geoff Keighley you were around the other day promoting the show. Can you share your thoughts on Boogie, his remarks and why you continue to give this abhorrent person any form of spotlight? The game awards are a great place for a more casual audience to possibly find more interest in gaming in general, don't introduce them to this shitheel.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I don't, This is supporting an awful person and inviting him to an event that should be showing the good of gaming. Inviting him does the opposite of that.

I don't say you should agree with the invitation, I don't, I just don't think Geoff or Cory or other people that have some friendly interaction with him (as little as I know) are nazis or tyrants or whatever some people here are saying.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
He was self-pitying and disingenuous about his opinions when he posted briefly on GAF, he was self-pitying and disingenuous about his opinions on Twitter for the last few years, and he remains self-pitying and disingenuous now. Throw in his weird creepy personal stuff and all of the mean-spirited shit he's been caught spouting on streams and he really shouldn't be held up as any kind of important figure in the games community, let alone being invited to award shows.

I'd have a smear more respect for him if he just owned his shit opinions, but he has to pretend to be a "centrist" 'cos he doesn't have the conviction to commit to them. He's still never met a fence he wouldn't plonk himself on.

Boogie-Loss.jpg

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
You have no idea what my views are you absolute bellend.

People like you make it embarrassing to be on the left.
You made it more than clear. You think criticizing an event for inviting somebody who thinks "the holocaust wasnt all bad" and defends others who say that blacks are genetically inferior is not okay. That's some priorities.
People like you make it embarrassing to be on the left.
hahahahahahaha

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If any of you actually read my post, I was one of the first people to call if Boogie as a scum bag earlier. I think the reaction Corby (one of them most progressive people in the entire gaming industry) and Geoff is, however, frankly disgusting, and this thread is acting like a mob.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
Geoff Keighley you were around the other day promoting the show. Can you share your thoughts on Boogie, his remarks and why you continue to give this abhorrent person any form of spotlight? The game awards are a great place for a more casual audience to possibly find more interest in gaming in general, don't introduce them to this shitheel.

I'm going to assume he has more important things to focus on right now.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Geoff Keighley doesn't give a fuck about any of this. Arranging an awards show with showy trailers doesn't make him a good guy. Stop putting him on a pedestal and accept he is as ignorant as the rest of these idiots. You'll be a lot less disappointed.

100%

Geoff is an icebox, he doesn't care, he's the Jimmy Fallon of the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.