• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Boogie2988 invited to the Game Awards (famous champion of 'both sides' in regards to white supremacy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, Geoff Keighley. If you don't know what's up with Boogie, get a drink, sit down, read some of this thread, and then never associate yourself with the dude ever again.

If you truly care about the games industry, you'd make sure it was an industry where Boogie wasn't welcomed with open arms.

Nov 27, 2017
Is this....relevant to the discussion?
You should make the thread.
What the shit does this have to do with the thread, it just sounds like you wanted an excuse to post the Holocaust had "benefits".

Oh this had nothing to do with boogie at all. This was clearly not the place to write about this and i'm sorry about that.

Sorry for being the guy that clearly walked into a discussion that he had nothing to do in.

I'll let myself out

Oct 28, 2017
Except that reply isn’t really accurate. Austin is still a judge, to my knowledge, but as far as I know that’s just people from different outlets sending in votes and not any actual involvement with the show’s production. And they commentated over last year’s awards without issue and have talked about Trending Gamers before.

People are getting into weird “journalists are corrupt for clicks” level nonsense when that’s pretty damn sudden. If you don’t hear anything in the podcast Friday/Monday, then ask about it, I guess. Till then, it’s kinda weird to immediately assume they’re specifically being quiet due to complicity instead of like... it just being the afternoon and they haven’t had a platform to talk about it yet, if they’ve even seen it?

And even if you have a complicated but positive relationship with your parents later in life, there’s a difference between that and like... playing his sister’s trauma for pity (which is not to discount any he suffered himself) and then acting shocked when people actually care about how it affected her.

There are several posters who have been sorta on the edge in this way for a long time that are really going all out for this thread and like... it’s Boogie? You’re all really gonna burn your accounts for Boogie? Really?

Sure, and that’s not a bad thing. But calling someone “one of the most progressive people in the industry” is pretty laughable if the evidence is “he openly likes and RTs anti-Trump tweets”, when there are actually leftist devs and journalists, not to mention games with progressive/leftist/whatever messages. Like there’s a pretty huge gap between “I think he voted for a Democrat” and “the most progressive person in the industry”.

EDIT: please ignore the amount of times I said “like...” in this post, I’ll post with more variety, I swear
This extend beyond boogie, ninja was announced weeks ago there hasn't been anything about why that's problematic.

Having an abusive parent does not turn you into a sociopath that exploits his own sister and outs the horrible shit that happened to her without her consent.

yes, she was publicly quite pissed about it after he outed it.
Tbh though he learned that type of behavior in part from his mother, reportedly, doing the same thing.

But of course we all have to help ourselves with some things, and Boogie just can't seem to reconcile his battered ego and emotions with the proper approach to, atittude, and care towards certain subject matter in a consistent, sociopolitically productive manner, one necessary for somebody in HIS position as an internet personality, with a tendency to throw his laundry out in the open. He needs to be able to swallow it down if he wishes to both continue his career and be on the side of history that is less optional the deeper you dig.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
Oh this had nothing to do with boogie at all. This was clearly no the place to write about this and i'm sorry about that.

Sorry for being the guy that clearly walked into a discussion that he had nothing to do in
No worries, you just posted the Benefits of the Nazi regime (referring it as in the Holocaust) in a thread where a Nazi apologist is being roasted.

No worries at all.....honest mistake

Oct 27, 2017
Are you just building up to “they ban people just for asking questions” thing so we can all know where you’re coming from, or...
For example, I saw people banned in the CDProjekt tweet controversy for mere thinking that perhaps the person that made that tweet wasn't a transphobic monster but a stupid as hell person that didn't think that tweet enough before doing it. That's the kind of exageration I'm talking about.

Oct 28, 2017
What? There is agreeing or disagreeing that The Last of Us is a 6 or a 9.8. There's no case for "Actually, this nazi isn't such a bad guy" in terms of "simply disagreeing". And it say more about you that you read extreme alt-right forums.
So criticisms about someone's public behavior is akin to extreme alt-right forums?

You know actual extreme alt-righters advocate for truly brutal, violent things, right? How are words that are criticizing behavior anywhere near the same level?
I will respond guys I'm not ignoring you. I work the late shift tonight so I will not respond right away. Hopefully I can convey my concerns well to you.

Dec 5, 2018
Not really, when your main contributions to a post about Boogie are, BUT WHATABOUT SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS through genocide, strife and horror. There's whataboutism and playing devil's advocate, and then there's whatever you're doing.
Actually, if you read through my posts in this thread you will see that that is absolutely not the case. I despise the guy. Those comments were just the historian in me coming out in a reply to a comment, which is why I backed off and said this isn't the proper to discuss it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm not joking. Is he just some Youtuber? Has he produced a game or done any actual journalism?
Just a Youtuber yes. But a fairly popular one. He has won Trending Gamer award in this same show few years ago. I think he first gained fame with a caricaturized "gamer" character, who is dumb and shouts a lot (so pretty accurate portrayal tbh). But he also reports gaming news and talks about them as himself. Don't know if he does reviews. He definitely doesn't offer any useful insight.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018
This notion that we learned so much medical knowledge from nazis examining Jews during the holocaust is false and usually only spouted by nazi sympathizers.

Oct 28, 2017
Boogie's a mess of mental health and a man that spends way too much time alone and on a computer. He's out of touch, and he's said some horribly unconsidered things, but he's hardly a neo nazi.

Condemn him for what he said. I'm totally cool with that. What he said was ENTIRELY wrong.

Until he starts marching through Charlottesville with Tiki Torches and claiming that Jewish people are devilish conspirators to the genocide of the White Race, you can't really call him a Neo Nazi or even a white supremacist.

His Holocaust comments were incredibly uninformed and distasteful, but he didn't come across like he hated Jews, thought them inferior, or anything of the likes.

At the most, he's unstable, misinformed, mildly prejudiced, and selectively conservative. I dislike him, but I don't think that he's the devil of the internet, and calling him names hardly does anything to address the things that he's actually said -- it simply fires up his supporters and makes his opponents feel self-superior.

The internet, however, tends play up things like this because it's a den for virtue signalling. One cannot have a genuine conversation about prejudice and misconception if, any time one sees somebody that says something even a LITTLE bit out of line, his immediate reaction is "FUCK THAT GUY, HE'S A NAZI!" I commend the people that have actually gone out of their way to challenge the misconceptions in his arguments, and to discuss his behavior in a mature and thoughtful way.

His attendance at the game awards is a mild annoyance rather than some fundamental moral flaw with the show.

To be clear, I'm not defending him. Everything that he's being criticized for is entirely warranted. I simply feel that the shit-flinging and intensely over-emotional reactions are entirely unproductive to actually convincing anybody -- or even HIM -- that he's done or said something wrong.
So you want to let these people get away with preaching their hatred, and all we should do is nod and let it happen?
Why is everyone so fucking concerned with the feelings of the influencers that promote these awful ideals, and not those that are affected/hurt by their actions?

Virtue signalling? Why are you even using that term?

I'm not joking. Is he just some Youtuber? Has he produced a game or done any actual journalism?
Just a Youtuber with millions of followers.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah also I would say that after reading extra insight in this thread I have shifted from "Boogie is an idiot" to "Boogie seems like he has had options to be better and chosen not to."

When I look at his life though, I can't feel hatred, it's just a sad sad depressing picture.
Hitler had a pretty sad life too. Hell, I had a shitty upbringing myself, and I'm sure Boogie grew up not wanting to be like that and wanting better for himself and those around him. He's certainly not responsible for the cards he was dealt, definitely not as a kid. But he's a grown ass man now, who is responsible for how he chooses to go about his life and treat others.

I can easily hate someone like him. Because outside of myself, there are many people in my life that I know, who have had awful childhoods, and don't let it define them. Not to say that it's not responsible for any mental health or anything of the sort, but I do think that at a certain point, you either deal with your problems, or you become them. I have every excuse in the world to be a vile person like him, but I'm not, because I don't want to add to that.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, if you read through my posts in this thread you will see that that is absolutely not the case. I despise the guy. Those comments were just the historian in me coming out in a reply to a comment, which is why I backed off and said this isn't the proper to discuss it.
The historian in you just came out, huh. I'm sure you're a regular fucking scholar.

Oct 28, 2017
....the holocaust had benefits...like even if you wanted to be incredibly pedantic about that position why the fuck would you think it's a good idea to say or defend someone for saying it? You could say that about literally any horrific event. The troll accounts are looking to be purged today I see.

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't true. Geoff has without question tried to make this a show about the developers. It still needs to be something people actually watch, as well. Hence presenters and performances.

But you simply can't watch the last year or two of The Game Awards and think Geoff is "exploiting developers for professional game." Stop it.
I won’t. For a show that claims to want to celebrate games and developers, he went out of his way to kiss Kojima ass in front of an audience and viewers. I don’t call up my clients at work and whine about what my wife’s employer’s lawyers will or won’t let her do. It’s fucking weird and takes attention away from where it doesn’t need to be. That’s one example. And yet here we are in a thread about how giving boogie and idiots like Ninja a platform, two pieces of trash who don’t make games (but who sure do have a lot of followers Keighley could use!)

Stop it, he says.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For example, I saw people banned in the CDProjekt tweet controversy for mere thinking that perhaps the person that made that tweet wasn't a transphobic monster but a stupid as hell person that didn't think that tweet enough before doing it. That's the kind of exageration I'm talking about.
They have a history of transphobic behavior. Maybe if it was their first time as a developer not disregarding transgender people, then people would give them the benefit of the doubt.

Oct 28, 2017
That isn't the full story and you know it. The people banned in that thread were shitposters or people downplaying transphobia which the mods had explicitly explained in the first post (along with a big noticeable READ THE OP notice in the title) that those idiots decided either not to read or to ignore.

Similarly to this thread if they had read the goddamn context and the information they wouldn't be coming into these threads and saying misinformed shit that is getting them banned.

People have posted plenty of proof of Boogie's shit in this thread and we still get people coming in saying "you guys are big fat meanies, where's the proof?"

Dec 5, 2017
Not many of our parents threaten to kill themselves over being criticized and because you're not being nice enough to a misogynistic hate movement.
While true, your parents also aren’t getting hate from every direction. Criticism is way too nice a term for the online abuse he gets.

He deserves every bit of criticism he gets, when it’s actual legit criticism. But I see a lot of bully tactic bullshit mixed in there.

Oct 30, 2017
So you want to let these people get away with preaching their hatred, and all we should do is nod and let it happen?
Why is everyone so fucking concerned with the feelings of the influencers that promote these awful ideals, and not those that are affected/hurt by their actions?

Just a Youtuber with millions of followers.
I think the obvious answer is they have more in common with the people in question than the people who are hurt by the behavior.

Which is how a lot of shitty people get away with things---the people making the rules are like them. If you aren't like the powerful either in class, or color, or religion or orientation, you're more likely to get victimized without consequence, and if you do commit a crime you'll be punished more forcefully.

Jan 11, 2018
It's not necessarily a controversial sentiment that a lot of modern medicine was built off the horrors of Mengele and the like.
That is most CERTAINLY a controversial sentiment. Nazi science in general made foundational contributions to the modern scientific world, that's not in doubt, but very little of the data generated in the concentration camps was rigorous enough to be useful. Mengele himself was a notorious hack scientist whose only worthwhile contribution while working in Auschwitz was harvesting organs for study from the dead and shipping them to actual professionals with consistent recordkeeping and methodology.

Oct 28, 2017
As someone that doesn't use twitter and barely knew this Boogie dude from old table breaking memes, i'm pretty terrified there's a "both sides" person that thinks the holocaust had some good points.

Oct 26, 2017
No, not always, I've seen a lot of bans for the most ridiculous reasons, I mean, there's is a reason of why almost all the internet thinks that this place is toxic and the reason is not always that they're nazis or alt right, hell, I'm from Chile and all the gaming circles I know barely tolerate this place.
I've seen many of those same gaming forums and the reasons why they hate this site so much. If you honestly believe that the reasons aren't because they're full of women haters, racists, cennnnssooorrrrshipppppp and general Trump supporters, then you haven't been paying attention.

Nov 19, 2017
UK
What a curious thread. Boogie is a notorious 'fence-sitter' but I've not seen any videos of his in which I've found him to be unpleasant to anyone. Could people just not watch his stuff if they don't like it? Personally, I rather like his content, though I haven't watched it all.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Geoff has been asked all year to get rid of trending gamer and to stop inviting Boogie and the like. He's seen it, he knows what they've done, but doesn't care which is a lot worse than Geoff just being ignorant on the topic
Geoff Keighley This true, Geoff? Please say it ain't so. Please don't be one of those white males who are relentlessly blind to the shit minorities go through.

Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.