• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
He looks much healthier. The two sides schtick he put out there was peak dumb.. i can only assume Geoff and other organizers aren't aware of that part of the gamergate saga. I prefer to think that than to think they're also as naive and dismissive. I don't mean him any ill will... If he wants to rehabilitate his image the same way he's rehabilitating his body, it may mean rehabilitating some of his views and considering his role and comments during such events though. He's said some truly stupid harmful stuff.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I still can't understand why people care that much about some stuff, I don't know anything about this guy, should he be on jail? I understand that he has some pretty stupid opinions but maybe Geoff or Cory or anyone have a good relationship with him and still don't share his opinions, it could happen.

I'm sure most people tolerates a lot from friends and they're still friends. I've seen a lot of things online where people don't accept x behavior but then on the street they forgive whatever depending on who say or thinks such things.

Also, I'm still not sure about loving a celebrity's (not saying this guy is a celebrity) work and when you find out that that person is terrible inmediately his work is not valuable anymore, I'm not sure what to think about that yet but anyone can decide for themselves.
What I understand even less is people hating someone because X is a jerk and also hating Y because she or he doesn't hate X.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, Barlog is a Nazi sympathizer too? Should be it's own thread if it's not already.
I wouldnt immediately jump that far. I'm willing to believe that Barlog might not be very aware of who Boogie is besides just another gaming youtuber.

Keighley definitely knows. He keeps giving people like this awards and a platform.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just gonna quote myself from the Jaffe thread on why boogie shouldn't be seen as a good person.
This is a good informative post. Prior to this topic I only remember ever seeing Boogie during the beginnings of the Jontron crap. Guy isn't on my radar whatsoever so when this topic popped up today I was really wondering what he had done. Turns out a lot.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I was bummed out I am gonna miss the show this year... Now? I am just glad I will be able to watch the trailers at a later date

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why arent more people covering the problems with this award show like kotaku or Waypoint? Have I just missed this, because the number of people this show is promoting and celebrating that espouse racist/misogynistic content is seriously problematic.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That "3 hours" of DM's from the Twitter thread made me audibly cringe...

Not surprised by this, though.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Boogie explained in his own words how he feels about these characterizations about him. I disagree with the way he pushes aside basically any negative conclusion but his own, but I appreciate the attempt by him to be frank. I always leave room for the chance of distortions of how people are in their personal lives vs a media-driven public persona. That being said, my criticism is of his public persona. He acts like I must be basing criticism on rumors and whispers, and I don't think he honestly grasps the collective direction of his own words, acts, and theses.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldnt immediately jump that far. I'm willing to believe that Barlog might not be very aware of who Boogie is besides just another gaming youtuber.

Keighley definitely knows. He keeps giving people like this awards and a platform.

There's no way you know Boogie yet you don't know the dumb shit he says, it's everywhere.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't understand why people care that much about some stuff, I don't know anything about this guy, should he be on jail? I understand that he has some pretty stupid opinions but maybe Geoff or Cory or anyone have a good relationship with him and still don't share his opinions, it could happen.
They might not share his opinions, they are giving him a platform and should be called out for it. Boogie doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt or that he has changed because it definitely doesn't look like he has and he should continue to be called out for it.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017

I never heard of this guy before era, but this is like saying "yeah slavery is bad, but let's wait until the collective zeitgeist comes around and thinks so too before we abolish it".

This guy seems like a literal caricature of all the worst nerd stereotypes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Im not watching tonight. I can't support this decision by Geoff to give another platform to someone who both sided the fucking holocaust, much less anything else. This is shameful shit.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
He literally said gay people should have waited for Nazi's to be okay with gay marriage before it was law to prevent hate crime. He blamed Heather Heyer being run over by a white nationalist on Anita Sarkeesian. He's shown more sympathy to his rapist paedophile dad than he has to the daughter and wife he abused. Crying that he's stupid or depressed isn't an excuse any more, it's a lie. The fucker's a horrible person and it was apparent to all those who saw how he reacted to Gamer Gate.

If he was a good guy or an alley he'd probably take some time to learn from his criticism rather than propping up a new white supremacist or their rhetoric every week.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff Keighley Gaming ought to be inclusive, something we all should strive for. People like Boogie are making life worse for fringe groups and minorities. If you cared, you wouldn't invite someone like him. I care enough not to watch your show.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The pettiness in this thread is unreal. Unfortunate that the mods undid there decision.

And people wonder why nobody takes the forum seriously. He isn't being given a platform, he was just invited to attend the ceremony.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff Keighley explain yourself. We know you're here. Silence is condoning.

I'm tired of garbage people putting a cloud over the industry's award show. TGAs are de facto official at this point. This is unacceptable.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure most people tolerates a lot from friends and they're still friends. I've seen a lot of things online where people don't accept x behavior but then on the street they forgive whatever depending on who say or thinks such things.

Also, I'm still not sure about loving a celebrity's (not saying this guy is a celebrity) work and when you find out that that person is terrible inmediately his work is not valuable anymore, I'm not sure what to think about that yet but anyone can decide for themselves.
What I understand even less is people hating someone because X is a jerk and also hating Y because she or he doesn't hate X.

If your friend said the shit Boogie says and you were still friends - actively friends, not just "we're stuck in the same friend group" kind of stuff - with them, I'm absolutely going to judge you for it.

This isn't "I don't understand why person Y doesn't also hate person X just because I hate them", it's "it's actually irresponsible to help give person X a platform given the level of disgusting nonsense they've promoted". This isn't high school drama, this stuff has consequences.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017

Boogie explained in his own words how he feels about these characterizations about him. I disagree with the way he pushes aside basically any negative conclusion but his own, but I appreciate the attempt by him to be frank. I always leave room for the chance of distortions of how people are in their personal lives vs a media-driven public persona. That being said, my criticism is of his public persona. He acts like I must be basing criticism on rumors and whispers, and I don't think he honestly grasps the collective direction of his own words, acts, and theses.

i don't need an "ally" who thinks i should sit down and wait for homophobes to spontaneously decide that i deserve the right to marry the person i love

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
Why arent more people covering the problems with this award show like kotaku or Waypoint? Have I just missed this, because the number of people this show is promoting and celebrating that espouse racist/misogynistic content is seriously problematic.
Because these sites have people working on TGA as judges and it's a conflict of interest.

Oct 27, 2017
This is incredibly disappointing that this dredge is being brought on again. I would have hoped Geoff read the comments from the last time and distanced himself.
Really, this is the primary reason I can't take these awards seriously. Nevermind the commercial aspect, this providing shitty youtubers* with a platform. Surely gaming can do better than this sociopathic, hate-mongering scum. Let devs, platform holders, publishers have the limelight.

*I'm not wholely against youtubers being recognised, but the games and people behind them should be the focus.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

lmao , an ally, yes Boogie

5c0.php

If you really want to be an ally, start now, use your popularity to raise awareness about the big problem gaming has with sexism, racism and homophobia. Help these people instead of throwing them under the bus so you don't hurt the GG crowd.

But I know you're not an ally. No one that really things that the murder of an innocent girl at the hands of neonazis is "Anita's fault" is truly an ally.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea everyone hated this guy so much. I never liked his annoying character myself, but I thought people just didn't like how he never picked sides. What did he specifically do to garner this reaction here?
so let's see

said that saying "fag" is ok because it's a internet meme

said some good things came out of the holocaust

blamed a massive harassment campaign against a MtG cosplayer on the game company making cards that include women and minorities

partially blamed Anita for Charlotesville

all jokes ok, except fat jokes in which case you are a complete monster

said that gay people should have waited more time for civil rights, blames bigot's violence on progress being too fast

got banned on GAF over threatening suicide over people calling him out on his gamergate support

said that we have to "meet in the middle with him" in regards to someone who thinks black people are genetically inferior

and this, my friend, is a small sample.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Geoff Keighley Gaming ought to be inclusive, something we all should strive for. People like Boogie are making life worse for fringe groups and minorities. If you cared, you wouldn't invite someone like him. I care enough not to watch your show.
It's called show business, not having genuine empathy for the worsening plight of minorities in America business

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
There's no way you know Boogie yet you don't know the dumb shit he says, it's everywhere.
The dumb shit is basically all I know personally. I remember the character "Francis" from some years ago, but other than that it's just dumb shit I've heard about him.
Geoff Keighley explain yourself. We know you're here. Silence is condoning.
TBF, he probably isn't. The show starts in 5 hours or so.

Corey Balrog has an account here too.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, hey. "Trending Gamers" are shit. Who knew.

Am I right to think that Geoff is giving Boogie a pass, validating him even, by inviting him to the show? I guess so.

Fuck Boogie, fuck Geoff, fuck Corey Barlog for supporting him.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The pettiness in this thread is unreal. Unfortunate that the mods undid there decision.

And people wonder why nobody takes the forum seriously. He isn't being given a platform, he was just invited to attend the ceremony.
It's giving him a platform, I am sorry you want to support and pretend it doesn't but that doesn't make it fact.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Where would you draw the line? You are clearly ok with them inviting someone who makes hateful comments towards gays and downplays nazism. Are you ok with them inviting anyone?

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This thread is honestly embarrassing. Mods did the right thing locking it in the first place .

This place is a joke.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is a good informative post. Prior to this topic I only remember ever seeing Boogie during the beginnings of the Jontron crap. Guy isn't on my radar whatsoever so when this topic popped up today I was really wondering what he had done. Turns out a lot.
I was a massive fan of boogie but after the Jon tron stuff (wasn't really aware of his GG stuff at the time) I just couldn't respect him at all.

The more you learn about boogie, the more you realise he is a horrible person who isn't just 'stupid' but actively plays on his history of mental health issues to gain an audience who will back and fund him no matter what.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes, Greg Miller, who spent a long long time going "awww, why can't we just get along?" whenever his friend/business partner spouted abhorrent bullshit and other people he knew got sick enough of it to call it out. Truly the "coolest" dude.
I can't go around persecuting everyone who is too weak to stand up for themselves in political discussions. Same for Geoff tbh. It's disappointing that they aren't stronger people, but that's how the majority of civilians are. My ire is focused on the people that are the source of the issue, such as Boogie and Colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.