• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No, I just never saw that you replied.

I dunno man. Interpretation isn't really about proof. It seems to me that you are taking the most blunt least charitable interpretation as possible in both clips that you've shown me. I tried giving you an explanation of how I took his statements in the context of their entirety.

Again, I think he is ignorant and his political philosophy is severely flawed and ultimately very naive, but it's also clear to me that he is well intentioned. The insistence that he is some sinister evil bastard by some people on this board is disturbingly out of touch. He is most of your parents.

Not many of our parents threaten to kill themselves over being criticized and because you're not being nice enough to a misogynistic hate movement.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
You can do a ton of harm even if you aren't marching with tiki torches yelling racial slurs.

Let me quote MLK on this

First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
No, not always, I've seen a lot of bans for the most ridiculous reasons, I mean, there's is a reason of why almost all the internet thinks that this place is toxic and the reason is not always that they're nazis or alt right, hell, I'm from Chile and all the gaming circles I know barely tolerate this place.

Uhh I don't think most mainstream places know this as anything but a great source of video game news.

Beyond that a video game site for folks whose beliefs tend to align left of center. Toxic and can't tolerate? Sure, if all you do is hang out on 4chan and r/thedonald

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It needs to be political. If his entire goal is for gaming to get the prestige that film does, look to the hollywood award shows. Those people are bashing nazis, the administration, etc left and right. Racist homophobic gamers be damned
I adressed Hollywood in earlier post, I'll just quote it here. But Hollywood really isn't better than this. Could be said it's worse, Boogie just runs his mouth.
While Kimmel was hosting Oscars, he just made jokes about Mel Gibson "There's only one Braveheart in the room and he isn't going to unite us either". And in Golden Globes Seth Meyers "The Deuce is a show about Time's Square in the early 70's, when New York was so seedy there were two James Franco's". So they acknowledge the stuff, invite these people to the shows and then laugh it off. Or hell, Sean Spicer invited to the Emmy's and cracking jokes.
44b11cba328223965c3d0cec8fefb4e5f3eb2d77.gif

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I adressed Hollywood in earlier post, I'll just quote it here. But Hollywood really isn't better than this.

That's fair, Hollywood isn't a monolith. But a lot of those awards shows also have folks going up there calling shit out and rightfully so, and talking about social justice issues.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I might be throwing myself into the fire. But i'm taking a chance on 1 small topic seem to be throwing around in this thread.
It's seem that if I state, that the holocaust, while one of the most horrible thing to every happen in the last 100 years, actually had some benefits. I'm instantly branded a Nazi.

The medical improvement cause by this horrible event is some of the biggest foundation in the medical field, specially in cancer research. War time tend to speed all kind of advancement in all kind of fields no matter how horrible the methods are use. All in the attempt to get ''ahead'' of the enemy.
This 2004 article on The Guardian really explains what i'm trying to say : https://www.theguardian.com/news/2004/oct/14/thisweekssciencequestions.cancer
We can never forget to keep our humanity and ethics for the progress of science, unlike the nazi did.

But now back on Boogie, yeah's he's an idiot, homophobic asshole.
There's a distinction between "doctors in Nazi Germany" and "Nazi doctors during the Holocaust." Your link specifies that it is looking at advances in medicine that came out of Nazi Germany during the 1920s and 1930s; the Holocaust didn't begin until 1941. The only thing that article mentions about Nazi medicine during the Holocaust is contemplating the question "How could science be co-opted in such a way that doctors as healers evolved into killers and medical research became torture?" So that article doesn't support the thesis that the Holocaust "had some benefits."

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i just wish we could all ignore the politics in here, he might have said stupid things in the past but that's just his opinion and you know people have all sort of different opinions!

I'm sure that women and minorities would LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to just ignore the politics of daily life. But sadly, they can't. And I'm not a piece of shit. Wake the fuck up, bud.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Welp. Now I'm glad that I chose not to go.

i just wish we could all ignore the politics in here, he might have said stupid things in the past but that's just his opinion and you know people have all sort of different opinions!
His opinions:

- Heather Heyer's death was caused by Anita Sarkeesian.
- Gays have too many rights.
- Bigotry is just another internet personality.
- You can say whatever you want as long as you don't kill anyone.
- We should meet Nazis in the middle.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Don't forget Sean Spicer was invited to the emmys. Don't rely on self congratulatory award shows to be some beacon of progressivism

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
No, not always, I've seen a lot of bans for the most ridiculous reasons, I mean, there's is a reason of why almost all the internet thinks that this place is toxic and the reason is not always that they're nazis or alt right, hell, I'm from Chile and all the gaming circles I know barely tolerate this place.

Are you just building up to "they ban people just for asking questions" thing so we can all know where you're coming from, or...

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Dude I browse everyday. I moved over from gaf when everything got stupid.

Stop trying to discredit members of this community if they simply disagree with you. I don't like boogie but simply put some of the comments here mirror comments I would read on extreme alt-right forums.

how often are you on extreme alt right forums?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
To be clear, I'm not defending him. Everything that he's being criticized for is entirely warranted. I simply feel that the shit-flinging and intensely over-emotional reactions are entirely unproductive to actually convincing anybody -- or even HIM -- that he's done or said something wrong.

I mean, there is no nice way to say someone who has abhorrent opinions that they are a shit human being.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this thread derailing to wtf. Benefits of war and the holocaust? Jesus.. Close this shit down.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, Geoff Keighley. If you don't know what's up with Boogie, get a drink, sit down, read some of this thread, and then never associate yourself with the dude ever again.

If you truly care about the games industry, you'd make sure it was an industry where Boogie wasn't welcomed with open arms.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Is this....relevant to the discussion?
You should make the thread.
What the shit does this have to do with the thread, it just sounds like you wanted an excuse to post the Holocaust had "benefits".

Oh this had nothing to do with boogie at all. This was clearly not the place to write about this and i'm sorry about that.

Sorry for being the guy that clearly walked into a discussion that he had nothing to do in.

I'll let myself out

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Except that reply isn't really accurate. Austin is still a judge, to my knowledge, but as far as I know that's just people from different outlets sending in votes and not any actual involvement with the show's production. And they commentated over last year's awards without issue and have talked about Trending Gamers before.

People are getting into weird "journalists are corrupt for clicks" level nonsense when that's pretty damn sudden. If you don't hear anything in the podcast Friday/Monday, then ask about it, I guess. Till then, it's kinda weird to immediately assume they're specifically being quiet due to complicity instead of like... it just being the afternoon and they haven't had a platform to talk about it yet, if they've even seen it?

And even if you have a complicated but positive relationship with your parents later in life, there's a difference between that and like... playing his sister's trauma for pity (which is not to discount any he suffered himself) and then acting shocked when people actually care about how it affected her.

There are several posters who have been sorta on the edge in this way for a long time that are really going all out for this thread and like... it's Boogie? You're all really gonna burn your accounts for Boogie? Really?

Sure, and that's not a bad thing. But calling someone "one of the most progressive people in the industry" is pretty laughable if the evidence is "he openly likes and RTs anti-Trump tweets", when there are actually leftist devs and journalists, not to mention games with progressive/leftist/whatever messages. Like there's a pretty huge gap between "I think he voted for a Democrat" and "the most progressive person in the industry".

EDIT: please ignore the amount of times I said "like..." in this post, I'll post with more variety, I swear
This extend beyond boogie, ninja was announced weeks ago there hasn't been anything about why that's problematic.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Having an abusive parent does not turn you into a sociopath that exploits his own sister and outs the horrible shit that happened to her without her consent.

yes, she was publicly quite pissed about it after he outed it.

Tbh though he learned that type of behavior in part from his mother, reportedly, doing the same thing.

But of course we all have to help ourselves with some things, and Boogie just can't seem to reconcile his battered ego and emotions with the proper approach to, atittude, and care towards certain subject matter in a consistent, sociopolitically productive manner, one necessary for somebody in HIS position as an internet personality, with a tendency to throw his laundry out in the open. He needs to be able to swallow it down if he wishes to both continue his career and be on the side of history that is less optional the deeper you dig.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Oh this had nothing to do with boogie at all. This was clearly no the place to write about this and i'm sorry about that.

Sorry for being the guy that clearly walked into a discussion that he had nothing to do in

No worries, you just posted the Benefits of the Nazi regime (referring it as in the Holocaust) in a thread where a Nazi apologist is being roasted.

No worries at all.....honest mistake

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Are you just building up to "they ban people just for asking questions" thing so we can all know where you're coming from, or...

For example, I saw people banned in the CDProjekt tweet controversy for mere thinking that perhaps the person that made that tweet wasn't a transphobic monster but a stupid as hell person that didn't think that tweet enough before doing it. That's the kind of exageration I'm talking about.

Gunztrix

Oct 28, 2017
What? There is agreeing or disagreeing that The Last of Us is a 6 or a 9.8. There's no case for "Actually, this nazi isn't such a bad guy" in terms of "simply disagreeing". And it say more about you that you read extreme alt-right forums.
So criticisms about someone's public behavior is akin to extreme alt-right forums?

You know actual extreme alt-righters advocate for truly brutal, violent things, right? How are words that are criticizing behavior anywhere near the same level?

I will respond guys I'm not ignoring you. I work the late shift tonight so I will not respond right away. Hopefully I can convey my concerns well to you.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Not really, when your main contributions to a post about Boogie are, BUT WHATABOUT SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS through genocide, strife and horror. There's whataboutism and playing devil's advocate, and then there's whatever you're doing.
Actually, if you read through my posts in this thread you will see that that is absolutely not the case. I despise the guy. Those comments were just the historian in me coming out in a reply to a comment, which is why I backed off and said this isn't the proper to discuss it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm not joking. Is he just some Youtuber? Has he produced a game or done any actual journalism?
Just a Youtuber yes. But a fairly popular one. He has won Trending Gamer award in this same show few years ago. I think he first gained fame with a caricaturized "gamer" character, who is dumb and shouts a lot (so pretty accurate portrayal tbh). But he also reports gaming news and talks about them as himself. Don't know if he does reviews. He definitely doesn't offer any useful insight.

Last edited:

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
This notion that we learned so much medical knowledge from nazis examining Jews during the holocaust is false and usually only spouted by nazi sympathizers.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boogie's a mess of mental health and a man that spends way too much time alone and on a computer. He's out of touch, and he's said some horribly unconsidered things, but he's hardly a neo nazi.

Condemn him for what he said. I'm totally cool with that. What he said was ENTIRELY wrong.

Until he starts marching through Charlottesville with Tiki Torches and claiming that Jewish people are devilish conspirators to the genocide of the White Race, you can't really call him a Neo Nazi or even a white supremacist.

His Holocaust comments were incredibly uninformed and distasteful, but he didn't come across like he hated Jews, thought them inferior, or anything of the likes.

At the most, he's unstable, misinformed, mildly prejudiced, and selectively conservative. I dislike him, but I don't think that he's the devil of the internet, and calling him names hardly does anything to address the things that he's actually said -- it simply fires up his supporters and makes his opponents feel self-superior.

The internet, however, tends play up things like this because it's a den for virtue signalling. One cannot have a genuine conversation about prejudice and misconception if, any time one sees somebody that says something even a LITTLE bit out of line, his immediate reaction is "FUCK THAT GUY, HE'S A NAZI!" I commend the people that have actually gone out of their way to challenge the misconceptions in his arguments, and to discuss his behavior in a mature and thoughtful way.

His attendance at the game awards is a mild annoyance rather than some fundamental moral flaw with the show.

To be clear, I'm not defending him. Everything that he's being criticized for is entirely warranted. I simply feel that the shit-flinging and intensely over-emotional reactions are entirely unproductive to actually convincing anybody -- or even HIM -- that he's done or said something wrong.

So you want to let these people get away with preaching their hatred, and all we should do is nod and let it happen?
Why is everyone so fucking concerned with the feelings of the influencers that promote these awful ideals, and not those that are affected/hurt by their actions?

Virtue signalling? Why are you even using that term?

I'm not joking. Is he just some Youtuber? Has he produced a game or done any actual journalism?

Just a Youtuber with millions of followers.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah also I would say that after reading extra insight in this thread I have shifted from "Boogie is an idiot" to "Boogie seems like he has had options to be better and chosen not to."

When I look at his life though, I can't feel hatred, it's just a sad sad depressing picture.

Hitler had a pretty sad life too. Hell, I had a shitty upbringing myself, and I'm sure Boogie grew up not wanting to be like that and wanting better for himself and those around him. He's certainly not responsible for the cards he was dealt, definitely not as a kid. But he's a grown ass man now, who is responsible for how he chooses to go about his life and treat others.

I can easily hate someone like him. Because outside of myself, there are many people in my life that I know, who have had awful childhoods, and don't let it define them. Not to say that it's not responsible for any mental health or anything of the sort, but I do think that at a certain point, you either deal with your problems, or you become them. I have every excuse in the world to be a vile person like him, but I'm not, because I don't want to add to that.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, if you read through my posts in this thread you will see that that is absolutely not the case. I despise the guy. Those comments were just the historian in me coming out in a reply to a comment, which is why I backed off and said this isn't the proper to discuss it.
The historian in you just came out, huh. I'm sure you're a regular fucking scholar.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
....the holocaust had benefits...like even if you wanted to be incredibly pedantic about that position why the fuck would you think it's a good idea to say or defend someone for saying it? You could say that about literally any horrific event. The troll accounts are looking to be purged today I see.

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't true. Geoff has without question tried to make this a show about the developers. It still needs to be something people actually watch, as well. Hence presenters and performances.

But you simply can't watch the last year or two of The Game Awards and think Geoff is "exploiting developers for professional game." Stop it.

I won't. For a show that claims to want to celebrate games and developers, he went out of his way to kiss Kojima ass in front of an audience and viewers. I don't call up my clients at work and whine about what my wife's employer's lawyers will or won't let her do. It's fucking weird and takes attention away from where it doesn't need to be. That's one example. And yet here we are in a thread about how giving boogie and idiots like Ninja a platform, two pieces of trash who don't make games (but who sure do have a lot of followers Keighley could use!)

Stop it, he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.