• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Sure I'm just saying specifically about the gaming awards and celebrating him.

I guess? I've only listened to the podcast every so often lately; have the awards come up that much without it being said?

I just think there's a difference between a topic not coming up, and them specifically being silent or shutting down talk of it. I can look at their Discord right now and see people, including mods, harshly criticizing Ninja being nominated without issue. I expect that if they discuss the awards, they'll also discuss the Trending Gamer and Content Creator and such stuff and what celebrating these people means. Again, it's not like they've been positive about them before.

Rather, I really don't think it's bad to want them to speak out more about it, as you do, so I hope I don't come across as saying you shouldn't care. You're right that there are expectations to cover certain things consistently, especially when they have some connection to it. I just think it's a pretty huge, unearned leap to get to "they're being silent because they need to support the event for access to games, and care more about that than their ideals", y'know? And that's what some people were pushing earlier in the thread.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't let Boogie fool you for one second, he knows exactly what he is doing. The whole both sides bullshit is a very convenient way for him to express support for all kinds of disgusting shit.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's time we stop responding tothe people who stroll into threads like this with the "I've never seen so and so say anything wrong", in which said thread contains countless posts evidencing the very thing they're pretending to be unaware of. We know what they're trying to do. It happens for literally every thread in which something like this happens. They're gaslighting by attempting to fein ignorance in order to shield someone from criticism.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would you think Geoff Keighley is progressive?

At first glance, seems like a nice enough guy. Harmless enough, spawned some funny memes in the past, and wants the industry to be taken seriously and grow. I think anyone with a passion for games would be drawn to him. No real stance politically, but just by taking in his nature, one would assume he wouldn't be alt-right. But with the fact that he's complicit in giving the spotlight to folks like Boogie time and time again, it's kind of a rude awakening to people who thought that about Geoff Keighley.

Not to say that his silence isn't deafening on the matter, it is, but it's easy for people who are simply out of the loop to think that someone as seemingly safe and harmless as Geoff comes off as one of the good guys.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a possiblity that Geoff and the Game Awards crew know the full extent of Boogie's statements but because of his huge popularity and Twitch presence they are inviting him anyway? I'm guessing they didn't know or look that deeply into it. They saw his popularity and considered him a big draw for the casual crowd.

geoff awarded him the "trending gamer of the year" award a couple of years ago if im not mistaken

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Remember when he mocked the dead victim of the Logan Paul suicide forest controversy in VR Chat?

Yeah, fuck Boogie and fuck him hard.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
And to think that guy became really famous thanks to NeoGAF community support lmao.

(i know he was banned from neogaf, but WAY AFTER getting a substantial fanbase)

Era: You all created that monster.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta have your fools to raise the quota of your show. And Boogie is at least not quite as horrible as JonTron is so they could have picked someone worse. That's the most positive take I have on this.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Why is he popular in the 1st place? Gamers keep giving him attention/following him etc

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Is it a possiblity that Geoff and the Game Awards crew know the full extent of Boogie's statements but because of his huge popularity and Twitch presence they are inviting him anyway? I'm guessing they didn't know or look that deeply into it. They saw his popularity and considered him a big draw for the casual crowd.

Nah it's a certainty they know about him, Geoff understands how the industry works.

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of his politics, his goal is to have a successful show.

He can still be a progressive, but with shitty morals when it comes to his career and what he deems as important.

I honestly can't agree with that. I find it hard to believe you can be progressive and have "shitty morals". Your morals are what makes you progressive in the first place. If you purposefully choose to have someone who actively hurts the people you supposedly care for, then you're not progressive in the slightlest.

Honestly I don't care who's invited to it, unless this piece of shit gets on stage of course. I only care about the announcements, developers, etc.

They honestly might not know about Boogie's political/personal beliefs to be fair, so i'm not going to bad mouth Geoff.

How can he know Boogie and not know what he said and did? That makes absolutely no sense. This is Geoff Keighley we're talking about.

But, hey. Thank you for being upfront about not caring about anything but your video games. At least you're honest about bigotry not bothering you at all.

iCodec

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't care who's invited to it, unless this piece of shit gets on stage of course. I only care about the announcements, developers, etc.

They honestly might not know about Boogie's political/personal beliefs to be fair, so i'm not going to bad mouth Geoff.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan

Geoff has been made aware of his statements quite consistently. They also invited him for the reason you specified, obviously.

I understand why this thread exploded, but I also see how some people are confused because he really does come across as a moron who feels the need to emphasize his beliefs on certain issues without alienating his audience. I don't mean that specifically makes him a moron, rather that he truly seems unintelligent as a whole, and that's a byproduct. People sympathize with that kind of person, at least before they take the plunge into devout racism/sexism/whatever-ism

As for me, there was a video he posted where he tried to paint his wife as a piece of shit that really showed me he was a maniac, but that doesn't seem to get much traction (and I just popped into this thread, so excuse me for not reading through it).

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Geoff definitely knows. He is using his following for marketing purposes. hence the public 'see ya there!' tweet

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
at least they should be running low on burner accounts by this point
Lol you would think so and then you get this:

That post count eh? Have you read the thread?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I honestly can't agree with that. I find it hard to believe you can be progressive and have "shitty morals". Your morals are what makes you progressive in the first place. If you purposefully choose to have someone who actively hurts the people you supposedly care for, then you're not progressive in the slightlest.

Being "progressive" doesn't absolve you of any shitty views, nor does it mean you are coherent in all spheres of your life.

We live in capitalism, progressives all participate in a shitty system that goes against some of their values every day.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it that major Youtubers and Streamers tend to be the biggest shitbags? Boogie, DrDisrespect, JonTron, PewDiePie. It never seems to stop.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Great contribution to the thread.
Next

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Read through the thread and educate yourself, first of all. Second, and I can't believe I'm saying this one again; yeah, I'm sure that women and minorities would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to just ignore people who wish them ill will and even death. I guess I should just turn off the TV whenever I see a Nazi like Trump on it, and that way the problem will just go away. I just need to ignore the content! it's so easy! Why would I not speak up against Nazis?

As an ally to the LGBTQ+, women and people of color, I can't just ignore this shit. Even though, as a white as fuck male, I easily good. I cannot in good faith do that. Sorry. I care more about my brothers and sisters than fucking video games. As much as I would love for them to be welcomed into this hobby as much as I am.

If you can read through this thread and still "like his content", then you need to do some soul searching.

Well said. I was "fence sitting" watching these awards tonight. Now I'll just watch the trailers later. Fuck Boogie, Jaffe & whoever else co-signs hate of any form

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is he popular in the 1st place? Gamers keep giving him attention/following him etc

Because he initially burst onto the scene as a humble, bumbling larger sized man that gained a lot of empathy from the community. Turns out a LOT of people seem to only remember him from that initial public outing. He's long since revealed himself to be an awful human being. So whenever there are threads such as this, there are people who are ignorant to what he's become, fall into defending this image of what he was pretending to be, when in reality, they're accidentally defending a racist. It's at this point, people either go "Oh fuck, I didn't know that. Fuck this abhorrent mother fucker" OR double down because it turns out that they too are also dumb nazis and relate.

He also does a lot of faux apologies that people somehow keep falling for, and then fucks up "accidentally". Rinse and repeat.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
No, not always, I've seen a lot of bans for the most ridiculous reasons, I mean, there's is a reason of why almost all the internet thinks that this place is toxic and the reason is not always that they're nazis or alt right, hell, I'm from Chile and all the gaming circles I know barely tolerate this place.

There are plenty of other 'non-toxic' gaming sites which your 'gaming circle' buddies would probably find much more tolerable. There are some where you can even have lengthy, intellectual thought experiments about whether only red heads (not really talking about red heads) have the right to call other red heads 'ginger' (swap a couple of letters around) without getting banned. It's stimulating stuff.

Last edited:

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff Keighley Great to see you care about the personalities that you want everyone to associate with the gaming industry. Are you really this blind to the optics or does The Game Awards just not care?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised. Geoff is a hack, plain and simple. He doesn't care about marginalized groups, all he cares about what will make him money. Fuck Geoff, fuck Boogie and fuck his three hour commercial disguised as a award show.

Oct 25, 2017
The additional shit I'm learning about the guy is fucking eye opening, because I had no idea about any aspect of his personal backstory and his mocking his deceased ex. Seeing a storied history of him making terrible excuses for (and still doing it) the far right is one thing, but that Twitch clip displayed a total duplicitous sociopath when he's not wearing that carefully constructed veneer of respectability. Holy shit. Why would any reasonable person remain on friendly terms with this man?

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
He was not being abused when he threatened to kill himself if we didn;t start being nicer to gamergaters dudes.

Just stop this nonsense.
No, again. I'm not saying it's anything about gamergaters, or us needing to be nicer. I was pointing out the difference between the situations between average parents and Boogies life situation. There is nothing normal about his situation. But his political views are pretty typical milquetoast "moderate" views that probably most of our parents hold.

That being said. All of the other shit he has said, completely condemnable and abhorrent.

The dude sucks.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
At first glance, seems like a nice enough guy. Harmless enough, spawned some funny memes in the past, and wants the industry to be taken seriously and grow. I think anyone with a passion for games would be drawn to him. No real stance politically, but just by taking in his nature, one would assume he wouldn't be alt-right. But with the fact that he's complicit in giving the spotlight to folks like Boogie time and time again, it's kind of a rude awakening to people who thought that about Geoff Keighley.

Not to say that his silence isn't deafening on the matter, it is, but it's easy for people who are simply out of the loop to think that someone as seemingly safe and harmless as Geoff comes off as one of the good guys.
Not excusing Geoff here but I find that being close friends with someone tends to make people have a blind spot to the awful shit they say in public. :/ Fuck Boogie, piece of garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
Being "progressive" doesn't absolve you of any shitty views, nor does it mean you are coherent in all spheres of your life.

We live in capitalism, progressives all participate in a shitty system that goes against some of their values every day.

You can't really compare having to live in a capitalist society because you just can't get anything better with inviting a known bigot to your own damn shown that you yourself set up.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yo this website was created in 2017
This website was made in 2017, dude...
More than year ago. It's suspect if you have a low-post count and yet you signed up more than a year. Accounts with a low-post count are typically associated with disingenuous people.
27 pages? Nah I think i'll just read the first page bud.
It's unlikely that Geoff doesn't know about Boogie's behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.