• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I don't understand how people can defend him. There are literally thousands of "online personalities" you could follow that don't have abhorrent and disgusting views. Why defend Boogie2988? Because he self admits that he says terrible things sometimes? I'm sorry but in my humble opinion thats not an excuse to spout nonsense and hate.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Boogies has very fucked up views on women. Trust me when i say that whatever your guesses are, its ten times worse.

His defense of sex workers during the whole tax scandal was one of the most hypocritical, two-faced steaming pile of bullshit I've ever seen or heard. He's no ally, don't believe him.
And now I'm afraid to ask...

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
You can't really compare having to live in a capitalist society because you just can't get anything better with inviting a known bigot to your own damn shown that you yourself set up.

As many people has said, he is a hack who seems to only care about getting numbers for his awards show. I was responding to someone scoffing at the notion anyone could believe Keighly was a "progressive".

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
What a curious thread. Boogie is a notorious 'fence-sitter' but I've not seen any videos of his in which I've found him to be unpleasant to anyone. Could people just not watch his stuff if they don't like it? Personally, I rather like his content, though I haven't watched it all.
hey sofajockey, i used to hang out on the uBSN, so we've met. i'll assume you're posting in good faith:

boogie farmed out his sister's trauma for clicks, against her express wishes. he then proceeded to wish the man who abused her well. (there's evidence of this in the thread--i don't want to post it again, because it's potentially quite traumatising.)

boogie has expressed sympathies for white supremacists and claimed the holocaust had a silver lining

boogie supported gamergate

boogie laughed about his ex-girlfriend dying from lung cancer

there's a bunch more - just browse the thread - but i think this is probably enough to demonstrate why someone might take issue with boogie being invited to a major gaming event as a 'friend' of the organiser. it's not a matter of simply not liking him.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
yo this website was created in 2017

The point they were making is that their account is old but has only a few posts. This is not an uncommon thing, for people to have made an account early on just to have it, and then burn it on trolling/"just asking questions"/arguing whenever there's controversy.

It's not always a fair judgement, but in threads like these... there's a lot of them.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointed in TGA inviting a white supremacist enabler. Where is the best place to complain to them about this?

Oct 29, 2017
There's nothing 'both sides' about boogie. He contstantly says a bunch of hateful stuff all on his own.

Crazy to think these are the kind of people the gaming industry is comfortable representing them. For many people the truth is Geoff and other people in the industry just don't care about you at all. They will side with the harassers every time

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
One that no one will benefit from in any way.

So, there is no benefit to dragging white supremacists and their enablers?

See all I knew about Boogie was his "let's meet in the middle with the nazis". Turns out, he's way fucking worse.

Did I not benefit from knowing exactly how much of a piece of kuso he is?

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Wow.

I was aware of this guy, but don't follow him or have ever watched his videos. He seems like a bit of a twat.

TGA are shit anyway. I just catch up on the announcements the following day.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope he doesn't get on stage to give the viewers a history lesson. I've been looking up what he's done recently and in the time since GG blew up and there's some scandals about him saying some really misinformed and horrible stuff about Nazi Germany and the victims of it.

Like this here

OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Not excusing Geoff here but I find that being close friends with someone tends to make people have a blind spot to the awful shit they say in public. :/ Fuck Boogie, piece of garbage.
I've ignored or overlooked shitty behavior from friends before. But you fucking bet if they said "some good came from the holocaust", I would shoot straight up in my seat and do a double take.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
That's a shame. Dude has some of the worst views/takes on things. How he manages to still be a thing is beyond me.

I highly doubt Corey or Geoff have time to keep up with all that garbage. Still, it's a pretty bad look. I remember people having a similar reaction when Brandon Jones went on that Moriarty thing.

SofaJockey

Nov 19, 2017
UK

Thank you, that's a much more helpful response than the less helpful vague mockery that serves as so-called discussion.

I don't particularly care for Boogie's "Francis" character as I find the 'joke' of that character rather strange and abrasive.
And the linked video in the OP in which he identifies Nazi scientists as a benefit of the Holocaust is a remarkably foolish thing to say.

I'll admit, this thread surprised me, so I'll try to keep an open mind on this as I watch future video's of Boogies and make up my mind up accordingly.

Thanks again for the helpful links.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
More than year ago. It's suspect if you have a low-post count and yet you signed up more than a year. Accounts with a low-post count are typically associated with disingenuous people.

Maybe, maybe not. Post count doesn't mean much, so let's go after what people say rather than how often they post. There's too much of that bullshit in here.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
I've only known about his dumb "both sides" arguments previously but this thread has been pretty eye opening about all the other abhorrent shit he has said

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, maybe not. Post count doesn't mean much, so let's go after what people say rather than how often they post. There's too much of that bullshit in here.
It's not really post count that matters, it's what threads one chooses to post in.

It's like all the users who ONLY post in Tesla and Elon Musk threads to talk about how great he is and how that diver guy is clearly a pedo.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that major Youtubers and Streamers tend to be the biggest shitbags? Boogie, DrDisrespect, JonTron, PewDiePie. It never seems to stop.
Because gamers. Gamers are shit people. This is obviously a generalization and hyperbole, but gaming is a toxic wasteland that has some good spots here and there. It's been like that for a long time. It's just so much easier to be out there nowadays with the Internet. You guys see the toxicity in these games all the time. It's rampant. Racism, sexism, whatever. The whole gamers rise up meme thing is truthful satire, lol

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure but Geoff Keighley himself posted on Era only just yesterday.
And called him his friend too on Twitter. C'mon Geoff Keighley are you going to distance yourself from this guy, if not at TGA where no doubt he'll be accepting a personality award on behalf of his friend "TotalBiscuit" - then at least acknowledge he's no friend.

Because the mans a racist holocaust denier. And you're better than that.

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that major Youtubers and Streamers tend to be the biggest shitbags? Boogie, DrDisrespect, JonTron, PewDiePie. It never seems to stop.

i'm not pro-infidelity, but has drdisrespect done something else unsavoury that i'm not familiar with?

because as best we can tell he was not a serial philanderer, he made a huge mistake, was wracked by guilt over it, and has done what he had to to make it up to his wife

i don't know what his political beliefs are but it seems random to compare him to jontron and pewdiepie

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Not sure but Geoff Keighley himself posted on Era only just yesterday.
Very disappointed in TGA inviting a white supremacist enabler. Where is the best place to complain to them about this?

Checking his profile Geoff Keighley visited ERA 44 minutes ago. He's been @'ed a dozen times or more so there is no way he's not aware of this thread and its content.

If he does nothing, then I will know he is not someone I can respect. He's not someone who will do the hard thing if it's the right thing to do. Maybe he'll be telling himself that we're all a rabid, unreasonable mob who should forgive Boogie for every horrible thing he said.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
That is most CERTAINLY a controversial sentiment. Nazi science in general made foundational contributions to the modern scientific world, that's not in doubt, but very little of the data generated in the concentration camps was rigorous enough to be useful. Mengele himself was a notorious hack scientist whose only worthwhile contribution while working in Auschwitz was harvesting organs for study from the dead and shipping them to actual professionals with consistent recordkeeping and methodology.

My favorite part of this thread has been this - debunking the rhetoric behind "both sides" arguments.

Like, the whole Mengele/Holocaust medical contributions thing. That's something we often hear cited, but - uh oh! - turns out, the Holocaust experiments did basically fuckall! Love it.

Makes me wonder what other devils-advocate bullshit has been making the rounds for years, and how much of it is being used in these "both sides" arguments.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only acceptable reason to have that sack of shit be there is to launch him from a trebuchet on a livestream.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Until he starts marching through Charlottesville with Tiki Torches and claiming that Jewish people are devilish conspirators to the genocide of the White Race, you can't really call him a Neo Nazi or even a white supremacist.

Haven't seen the past few pages yet, but I'd just like to state that opposing Nazis and the KKK and the like is the bare minimum of opposing racism. As in, if you didn't oppose those two, you'd be blatantly complicit with tolerating racism.

By the same token, opposing them isn't much of an achievement in and of itself. It doesn't mean that fighting racism is something you value, it just means that you don't want it to be out in the open. If you are all well and good with it existing in more insidious forms, then that refusal to do more than the minimum also tells us about what your values are.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you, that's a much more helpful response than the less helpful vague mockery that serves as so-called discussion.

I don't particularly care for Boogie's "Francis" character as I find the 'joke' of that character rather strange and abrasive.
And the linked video in the OP in which he identifies Nazi scientists as a benefit of the Holocaust is a remarkably foolish thing to say.

I'll admit, this thread surprised me, so I'll try to keep an open mind on this as I watch future video's of Boogies and make up my mind up accordingly.

Thanks again for the helpful links.

or you could just read the thread and get a pretty clear idea of who he is. like, there are tons of examples here.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
15441397772482874.gif

Is it really worth it Geoff?

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Checking his profile Geoff Keighley visited ERA 44 minutes ago. He's been @'ed a dozen times or more so there is no way he's not aware of this thread and its content.

If he does nothing, then I will know he is not someone I can respect. He's not someone who will do the hard thing if it's the right thing to do. Maybe he'll be telling himself that we're all a rabid, unreasonable mob who should forgive Boogie for every horrible thing he said.

Lol i can picture him logging and seeing all those notifications, probably stoked that resetera is so hyped about his show, then the reality sets in and he starts getting all sweaty about being asked to state an opinion that could alienate anyone at all.

Probably working last minute to make another anti konami speech to rally everyone around him.

SofaJockey

Nov 19, 2017
UK
hey sofajockey, i used to hang out on the uBSN, so we've met. i'll assume you're posting in good faith:
*useful links*

Yes, I am posting in good faith and yes I'm starting to see where this is coming from. Always nice to bump into an ex- from BSN.
I wasn't aware of the items you mentioned before this evening except for what I would consider his painful fence-sitting on gamergate which I have no respect for. Ah well, live and learn...

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Why is anyone surprised? Geoff isn't exactly subtle with how insecure he is about wider perceptions of the gaming industry, he'd probably invite anyone with enough followers that could potentially draw more eyes to the show.

Boogie is a fucking cretin, mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.