• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he retires I wouldn't care I've never watched any of his content apart from a rage video at some point. I just think the issues highlighted in the OP can be discussed without the "look at the stupid thing he did on stream one time" or bringing up the clear issues he has with his parents.

But if you want your hate thread go for it that's fine there just isn't much worthwhile discussion here.
There was never any worthwhile discussion to be had, we're discussing Boogie2988. Nothing he creates has any value and it's not even provocative because it's about as deep as a kid's macaroni art. It's hard to imagine something closer to an intellectual black hole. It's actually a miracle he can master the CAPCTHA prompts necessary to use websites.

But I'm not sure why we need to have a worthwhile discussion: Boogie2988's career is a testament to the fact that a great many people enjoy watching people be stupid assholes and whine about how liberal safe spaces and feminism and political correctness are ruining the country. And if Boogie2988 can live full time off internet welfare from other idiots, then I can surely do the same thing for free.

Option 1: It's funny to make fun of idiots, and double funny if they're also hateful idiots. And the edgier humor is, the better it is, so if that includes making fun of his mental health or his physical appearance or whatever, more's the better.

Option 2: Making fun of other people isn't nice, which makes Boogie2988 one of the least nice people on earth, and he should be mercilessly yelled at until he goes away so we can go back to living in a civilized society.

Centrism rules.

I think there was some worthwhile discussion to be had it seems like the original intent before turning into a hate thread was to stop Geoff Keighley inviting Boogie but this thread isn't going to do much in convincing him to do that.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I hear you. I'm not really trying to shield him as much as to suggest that for most of his audience, those things don't define him in the same way they do Peterson or Jones.

That of course doesn't make it any better that boogie said them, but means that inviting him to a show isn't a celebration of those specific vews like it would be for those other guys.

Has there been significant judgement of the viewers in this thread before you posted? Maybe I missed it, but I'm pretty sure it's been pretty firmly focused on Boogie himself.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
What is this about? I saw the video where he said he got a faulty cabinet (something with the track ball if i remeber correctly), but whats the source/info regarding him manipulating them? Is this another unrelated case?

And just wondering, how do we know how much he makes a year?
Sorry, didn't see this! This one is easy to get sources for, because it literally happened 2 days ago! :)

ad533453-8bd1-410f-9ba7-6c40e2ba81b0.png

He also in a very... condescending way had this to say about his YouTube Career when criticized about the PewDiePie controversy.

468f230d-312d-4042-a67c-8256cb28d137.png

But, despite making SIX FIGURE SALARY

Literally yesterday was begging for a free copy of Battlefield V.

9d9fa994-cd41-43dc-b732-0d91786d3e27.png

Oh, and don't forget being upset at Bethesda for not sending him a Collectors Edition of Fallout 76 for free like other creators, because a man with six figure salary wants some toys, but doesn't want to spend $200 on it.

https://streamable.com/m6s0a

Man. I just have so much disdain for how fake he is. >_<

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this dude at all; even ignoring his right-wing apology bullshit dressed up as centrism, what little content I've seen from him is terrible too. He's the rare zero-threat. Actually, that shit is becoming increasingly common these days.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he saying that bringing over Nazi scientists AKA Operation Paperclip resulted in some good things?

No, Operation Paperclip was after World War 2, not during it. It also isn't commonly believed to have contributed a lot to modern medicine, so he most likely was talking about the Holocaust.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
What was he trying to say then?
I think he was trying to say how good things can come from bad things (like learning from our mistakes, the Holocaust is not an example of this, but he tried to use it), but instead said that bad things aren't completely bad (which is incorrect).

Unless he actually really meant what he said and believes that there is something worth celebrating from the Holocaust. I'd have to watch the the entire stream of his to make sure his point wasn't badly delievered.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone come to the defense of Boogie's actions when a Magic cosplayer was harassed out of the community and he supported the harassers, saying it was the fault of Wizards of the Coast for putting too much diversity in their game? Thread, Boogie comes up fairly early on.

Like can we stop hemming and hawing about whether Boogie really meant there were good things about the Holocaust and look at the bigger harassment-supporting picture?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I think he was trying to say how good things can come from bad things (like learning from our mistakes, the Holocaust is not an example of this, but he tried to use it), but instead said that bad things aren't completely bad (which is incorrect).

Unless he actually really meant what he said and believes that there is something worth celebrating from the Holocaust. I'd have to watch the the entire stream of his to make sure his point wasn't badly delievered.
He straight up used Anne Frank surviving for as long as she did as an example of a good thing that came out of the Holocaust. At best, he has no idea what he's talking about. At worst, he's a Nazi apologist.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Has there been significant judgement of the viewers in this thread before you posted? Maybe I missed it, but I'm pretty sure it's been pretty firmly focused on Boogie himself.
People are shitting all over Keighley, @'ing him and suggesting companies should be pulling out of the awards.

One dude even said he was going to talk to his boss about blackballing Keighley from their studios until there's an "explanation for this shit".

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh, I just feel a great ammount of apathy towards this dude, I dont get why anyone gives him attention, positive or negative, his content is bad and his opinions dont matter.

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it always the one who are supposedly the most uninformed about a person's history of spouting questionable bullshit, also the ones most adamant about defending said person?

Fuck Boogie.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
People are shitting all over Keighley, @'ing him and suggesting companies should be pulling out of the awards.

One dude even said he was going to talk to his boss about blackballing Keighley from their studios until there's an "explanation for this shit".

That's a different issue than being about Boogie's fans. When Keighley promotes Boogie, he is promoting Boogie and everything that comes with it. He is saying that it's acceptable in the gaming sphere to defend white nationalists, try to push back against diversity efforts while promoting abusers, and all the other thing that have been listed in this thread. You are saying that there is no intention to respond to that behaviour, to take any measure to discourage it, or even to stop rewarding people for it. As the person responsible for this show and with the winners of the show being a highly visible part of it, Keighley is absolutely responsible for this.

Like, imagine if someone were to invite Bill Cosby as a guest for their award show. Bill Cosby had a long career where he was known for wholesome comedy that helped white audiences relate to black families. His abuse is just a part of his life as well. You could enjoy his works without addressing that at all. But no one's going to invite him as a guest or publically call him a friend now without knowing that there's a message when you support known abusers. Taking a blind eye is taking a stance.

Last edited:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
...The trailers for TGA announcements go up on YouTube pretty quickly, at least. The only other worthwhile thing about TGA is if it turns into a trainwreck, & there's plenty of highlight reels of Joel McHale & the drunken Ubisoft guy to keep me satisfied on that end. I'm not supporting something that supports Boogie.

I don't mean any disrespect by this post, I'm not the most articulate individual but, no. The amount of obsession and energy in this thread comes off as some sort of shared psychotic disorder.(not that it is one, but that's what it looks like externally)

Have you seen a psychotic disorder in action, or did you just hear the term? People here are frustrated. Rightly, in my opinion, but even if you disagree with people not liking what they see as an aggressively-centrist Neo-Nazi sympathizer getting a platform to spout his atrocity-enabling beliefs, I don't see how someone could compare this thread to a psychotic disorder in good faith. Especially if you've been on the Internet & seen a controversial topic on... anything. Compared to how people reacted to a sock color change in Madden that one year, this is mild.

People speaking without knowledge about mental health matters creates a lot of undue confusion & stigma. I can't abide by that. It's bad enough we Boogie uses his history of MH symptoms as a scapegoat for literally everything bad he has ever done because he can't accept natural consequences of his actions that actively harm others (Like defending harassers), & has a platform that allows him to get away with it.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Like can we stop hemming and hawing about whether Boogie really meant there were good things about the Holocaust and look at the bigger harassment-supporting picture?
no, because that'd force his stans to actually engage in good faith instead of taking the easy way out and just decrying the rest of us as an Angry Mentally Ill Mob Incapable of Reason

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've been depressed and suicidal for years and somehow, somehow i've managed not to say that the holocaust had a silver lining because anne frank died (???????????????). either i deserve a medal or people should stop acting like mental illness gives you a free pass to be a nazi apologist. probably the latter.

It's shitty that you have to go through that. Hopefully you have a support structure around you that helps. Having people that care about you whether you want them to or not is one of the best things to have.

I'm all for Boogers to get the help and love he needs, i truly hope he does. But i'm not gonna pretend like it's ok to be a dickbag just because he went through dark shit. I've been there as well and i know the dangers of despair and self-loathing. But spreading hate is not a solution. Other people don't deserve to suffer due to his issues. What the dude did to his sister is truly despicable for example. I wouldn't do that shit to someone i hated.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Warned: Shaming due to physical appearance
Not to sound shallow, but he's so physically disgusting. Why would any promotional body want to use his proxy endorsement as a means of burnishing any goodwill to the gaming industry? Wouldn't they want more telegenic personalities, and not Brad Pitt archetypes either. I'm talking regular, run of the mill people that can more easily pass off as being reasonably attractive to the point of being bland. Think of Mike Nelson from MST3K.

Think of it from a layperson's point of view of what they perceive as gamers. And then you look at someone like Boogie. It's not good optics. And then you add to his smarmy whataboutisms on his youtube videos, irregardless of whether one agrees with them or not. I'll use the Milo comparison: at this point in the game, he's almost daring his detractors to fat shame him.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Not to sound shallow, but he's so physically disgusting. Why would any promotional body want to use his proxy endorsement as a means of burnishing any goodwill to the gaming industry? Wouldn't they want more telegenic personalities, and not Brad Pitt archetypes either. I'm talking regular, run of the mill people that can more easily pass off as being reasonably attractive to the point of being bland. Think of Mike Nelson from MST3K.

Think of it from a layperson's point of view of what they perceive as gamers. And then you look at someone like Boogie. It's not good optics. And then you add to his smarmy whataboutisms on his youtube videos, irregardless of whether one agrees with them or not. I'll use the Milo comparison: at this point in the game, he's almost daring his detractors to fat shame him.
Should have stopped at "not to sound shallow". You do. The last thing this thread needs is fat shaming and implying fat people shouldn't even be on tv. There's already plenty enough mentioned in this thread to take issue with boogie over

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Resetera, internet police. I honestly don't get this forum sometimes.

The lot of you need to chill out. If you don't like what he says than ignore him. If enough people see it the same way you do he'll fade away.

Also, the people attacking him for his appearance are disgusting and should be ashamed.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Geoff don't care, he's pretty much the Vince Mcmahon of gaming, wants that bottom line.

He'd host the VGAs in Saudi Arabia if they gave him enough money.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'd put money down and assume that he'll regain the weight and then some in a couple of years as his obesity looks due to overeating than simply genetics.
Dude loses 100s of pounds and your response is :meh, he'll regain it, I'd bet on it!

I thought fat hating people like you wanted fat people to lose weight? Shouldn't you be happy about his success?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

The lot of you need to chill out. If you don't like what he says than ignore him. If enough people see it the same way you do he'll fade away.

Also, the people attacking him for his appearance are disgusting and should be ashamed.
Come on, no need to be so aggressive. You should try having a proper conversation with the people you're talking about, and maybe learn a thing or two from them. Wouldn't that be sweet?

OP
OP
Khanimus

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

"Ignore the bigot and they'll go away" doesn't work when they have a fucking massive following. Ignoring them has never been enough.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

why do you think this was a good place to go

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Should have stopped at "not to sound shallow". You do. The last thing this thread needs is fat shaming and implying fat people shouldn't even be on tv.
Not fat shaming. I just find it odd that Keighley would go with the most odious specimen of the lot. Many overweight people in the world, and yet most compose themselves with the utmost dignity as to how they conduct themselves in their private and public affairs on the web.

But this is a guy who has shamelessly and condescendingly extols the virtues of meeting white supremacist conduct in the middle but will scream bloody murder when it comes to fat shaming people.

Physically, he's the most defeated looking human being I've seen on Youtube, and that's no exaggeration on my part.

The producers of the Game Awards could have chosen someone else to elevate the show's profile and by proxy, goodwill to the gaming hobby as a whole, but they went with this bottom of the barrel shit heel.

But be that as it may, you'd think for a guy tipping the scale of nearly a quarter a ton he'd be a bit more magnanimous a personality.

And just to clarify, this has nothing to do with his morbid obesity, although his morbid obesity does have the effect of multiplying the grotesque magnitude of his character. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it tends to be in a superficial society.

You think it's cool that people associate gaming with budding white supremacist enclaves? I don't. And people like Boogie, or JonTron, or Pewdiepie do little to banish that distinction from the minds of many.

Last edited:

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It's contradictory to have Women in Games pieces and at the same time invite people like this

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Real talk, if you want your industry to be more progressive and inclusive, don't invite people like boogie. Don't associate with them at all.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Associating with this guy sorta ruins any good you may be trying to push. The dude is very much sympathetic to those who make this world worse.

New Username

Jul 12, 2018
It's contradictory to have Women in Games pieces and at the same time invite people like this

Some might say it's also contradictory to give an award to a guy most famous for saying the N word and complaining that he doesn't get paid vacation from his millions-a-year video game playing job -- and then minutes later, give an award to a gay black furry who gave away half his earnings to charity and talks about radical self-acceptance -- and pretend those two people are moral equivalents.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

So, we're just having a discussion here. Everything is pretty chill as far as I can tell- no buildings are on fire, nobody is screaming at their computer monitors. Nothing is gained from telling people to "chill out", it adds nothing to the conversation taking place that I can think of. Nobody categorized themselves as internet police, we are not in charge of the Game Awards, we are making our stance clear as we are entitled to do.

New Username

Jul 12, 2018

Or we could just aggressively talk about what a bad person he is and you could deal with our free speech. If you have a problem with this, go hide in your safe space. The rest of us are fed up with political correctness.

Yes, I agree, Boogie2988 should be ashamed for making fun of people's physical appearance. Glad you agree with everyone that Boogie2988 is a deeply bad person.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn Boogie is such an awful person. Either he has folks fooled or they just agree with him and the white supremacists he is constantly defending.

New Username

Jul 12, 2018
You see the irony right?

Let me assure you I'm being extremely sincere when I say Boogie2988 is a bad person and it'd be a better world if he left it, there's not a hint of irony in what I'm saying.

If you mean it's ironic that he spends all his time making internet welfare money being a hateful idiot and ranting about feminists and free speech, while this thread is a succession of people talking about how it's wrong to be mean to Boogie, who is a good hearted fellow, then yes I agree that is ironic.

But I will take your response to mean that you agree with me that Boogie2988 is a deeply bad and disturbed individual and his history of insulting peoples' appearance is categorically unacceptable and so he should be ostracized from society. Once we get past that hurdle we can start talking about ResetEra.com Poster '"Crackhead Bob" is a good role model for children and I would be happy to hear you out.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The industry or figureheads like Keighley don't have the balls to disavow people like him and other nazi enablers. It's why I hate the industry and refuse to watch the stupid VGAs. Fuck Boogie and anyone that defends him; 'such a sweet guy.' Fuck off.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just watch the trailers when they upload it some where else, gaming is intimately linked to collaborators of white supremacists, Geoff knows he cant thrive without this people. He might have all the cool Hollywood guests, but Boogie is the one that will represent the true face of the game community.
I didn't bother watching the event. Pretty easy to boycott. Thankfully all the trailers for the Game Awards were posted on the developers' own YouTube channel so we don't have to give The Game Awards or Geoff Keighley any exposure.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd put money down and assume that he'll regain the weight and then some in a couple of years as his obesity looks due to overeating than simply genetics.
He's talked a lot about over eating and how it's been his way to self harm.

He's had a stomach operation, so he wont ever be able to eat enough to get fat again.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Real talk, if you want your industry to be more progressive and inclusive, don't invite people like boogie. Don't associate with them at all.
Associating with this guy sorta ruins any good you may be trying to push. The dude is very much sympathetic to those who make this world worse.
Not really. I'm not sure why you're all giving this guy so much power. His attendance at an award show doesn't define it or the entire industry.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Since TGA is over, it doesn't seem like this thread needs to continue further.

Status
Not open for further replies.