• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I've been struggling to find something I want to dive into, after finishing The Fellowship of the Ring. After starting a few random books from new and different authors, I ended up falling back on Robin Hobb and have slowly become hooked on The Ship of Magic. It's seems pretty good, but it's quite bleak and more emotional than I was expecting. I'll probably stick with this and use Fire and Blood as filler. I'm already trying to look ahead to when I'm finished so I don't have so much aimless bobbling when I'm finished.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Went back to history before the Christmas break. After finishing season 3 of the last kingdom, I needed my Saxon fix.

alfreds-britain-war-peace-in-viking-age-max-adams.jpg

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
I've been struggling to find something I want to dive into, after finishing The Fellowship of the Ring. After starting a few random books from new and different authors, I ended up falling back on Robin Hobb and have slowly become hooked on The Ship of Magic. It's seems pretty good, but it's quite bleak and more emotional than I was expecting. I'll probably stick with this and use Fire and Blood as filler. I'm already trying to look ahead to when I'm finished so I don't have so much aimless bobbling when I'm finished.

Check out mistborn trilogy by Sanderson.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
153557.jpg

I just finished this. It's a humorously nihilistic examination of humanity and the ways it elevates and destroys itself. The writing has a very matter of fact quality to it, which brings to life the detached, almost journalistic point of view we get of the different layers of nonsense put upon the main character. But the humanity shines through in the end, ironically so seeing where the story ends up. And the book has a great sense of humour throughout as well.
Really liked it.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Elantris by Brendon Sanderson. I rather liked it overall, the story idea was interesting and the duel protagonists were both engrossing without feeling stretched thin. It's a little slow in the third quarter of the book where I feel like some great stuff should be happening but just isn't. Also Sarene the female lead while a pretty cool character is pretty obviously written by a man at points. Those niggles aside it's a well realised world with good characters, worth a read

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Finished Elantris by Brendon Sanderson. I rather liked it overall, the story idea was interesting and the duel protagonists were both engrossing without feeling stretched thin. It's a little slow in the third quarter of the book where I feel like some great stuff should be happening but just isn't. Also Sarene the female lead while a pretty cool character is pretty obviously written by a man at points. Those niggles aside it's a well realised world with good characters, worth a read

One of the few sanderson books I enjoyed. Reckoners is also good and book 1 of mistborn is pretty decent, just don't read two and three.

joe1

Dec 12, 2018
Crime and Punishment - had it for a long time and started reading when a friend started too. I'm actually pretty suprised how thrilling it is. I mean I know its a classic and pretty physcological and there is some critique of modernity and so on, but it's also a damn good crime novel.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few sanderson books I enjoyed. Reckoners is also good and book 1 of mistborn is pretty decent, just don't read two and three.
Already did, as well as four, five and six. I agree with your assement though. First Mistborn book is awesome but those other two of the first trilogy are an utter slog to get through.

I have Reckoners to read at some point.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished:

33128934.jpg

Sillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine. I liked it. It ended up basically being a book of two halves. The first half is mostly a story of a mother living her life in fear trying to protect her children. The second half is a slight murder mystery with all of her fears coming down on her.

Really interested in continuing this series to see where it goes as it seems to have the potential of something along the lines of The Following, that Kevin Bacon Fox show that only lasted like a season.

Next up:

12591698.jpg

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Want something new to read over break, and Circe kept popping up on end of year best lists. Any thoughts? I generally like alternative takes on known stories.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Have you read 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson? It's a psychological sci-fi horror though not really dystopian, I really liked it. I should say it is absolutely nothing like the Will Smith movie....
No, umm well i read about it once but looked a bit more apocalyptic than dystopian i will check it out thanks

OP
OP
MilkBeard

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost finished with Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. I'm about 60 pages or so from finishing it. The last 150 pages or so have been pretty exciting. It's a shame that it took a while for the story to get started, though.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone getting any books for Christmas? I haven't asked for any, but I'll be buying a few with the money I'll hopefully be getting from Santa.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone getting any books for Christmas? I haven't asked for any, but I'll be buying a few with the money I'll hopefully be getting from Santa.
MY partners family all get me Amazon vouchers every year I use on kindle books. If I wait on sales i can make it really last.

Speaking of:

City of Brass - £1.50
Autonomous - 99p

On kindle right now to those interested.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, my Christmas gift to myself is a hardcover copy of the new Wine Folly - Magnum Edition. Its a really nice and accessible book and makes a great reference for dozens and dozens of different wine varieties.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

From about 12 to 22 I would get the new Koontz and F. Paul Wilson every year for Christmas, but since I've stopped reading both those guys I haven't really gotten any book in years.

darkvir

Oct 26, 2017
Currently reading 'Killing Commendatore", I'm still only a fraction into it, but should be able to wrap it up this week.

OP
OP
MilkBeard

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought myself A Conspiracy of Truths. I started following the author on twitter, and I've seen the book show up. The concept is interesting and it has a nice cover. I'll probably start reading it in January.

a-conspiracy-of-truths-9781534412804_lg.jpg

OP
OP
MilkBeard

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.

Overall, it was an enjoyable book. The plot and ideas behind it are pretty original, and they drive the book forward. The characters are interesting enough to keep me going and to feel familiarity with them. However, I had some issues with the pacing of the book. The first half takes a bit to get going, and instead of information being drip-fed to you, there will be nothing, and then all of a sudden, a character will tell you a lot of things. This happens a few times in the book, and especially at the end, where a lot of plot details are put upon you all at once. In a way, a lot of plot nuggets are laid out, but not in any way that the reader can piece it together the way the character does in any fashion. Perhaps this would be good for some people, but I would have liked to have less info dump at the end and more details snuck in throughout the story.

Ultimately this dragged down the experience. But that's just me.

In the end, there are some cool concepts, like of Blackheath itself and the way it operates, and the idea of redemption. I wouldn't have minded to see what happens after the end, but it's also nice to theorize about it. It's really an interesting concept, and I'm intrigued to read more from Turton, as this is his debut book, and I think his craft will improve with time as well.

One thing, someone mentioned something of an epilogue at the end, but there was no such epilogue in my copy. I'm not sure what that's about, as it feels like this is what was intended. Anyway, the book gives a good enough conclusion despite me wanting to know more.

Overall it's a good book. I gave it 3 stars on goodreads (possibly a 3.5 star, to be more precise).

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

I posed the First Law trilogy as a potential gift from my secret santa since the library doesn't have any of it. Also gave some other ideas so not sure what they chose.

One thing, someone mentioned something of an epilogue at the end, but there was no such epilogue in my copy. I'm not sure what that's about, as it feels like this is what was intended. Anyway, the book gives a good enough conclusion despite me wanting to know more.

May have been me. It wasn't an official epilogue, but an author Q&A at the end of the copy I had in which one of the questions he answers is
"What is outside Blackheath?"
. It's a two or three sentence answer that doesn't say much, but I did post roughly what he said in a spoiler last page.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

Yep - I'm getting the Art of Metal Gear Solid I-IV from the missus and I've just got the Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne book from Third Editions delivered as a present to myself. Don't think I'm getting any fiction books though.

OP
OP
MilkBeard

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
May have been me. It wasn't an official epilogue, but an author Q&A at the end of the copy I had in which one of the questions he answers is "What is outside Blackheath?". It's a two or three sentence answer that doesn't say much, but I did post roughly what he said in a spoiler last page.

Oh yeah, I got that, and I enjoyed reading it. I liked seeing him discuss the ideas of the book briefly. I didn't read your spoilers yet because I hadn't read the book through by that point. I will go back and see what others said about it now.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, I got that, and I enjoyed reading it. I liked seeing him discuss the ideas of the book briefly. I didn't read your spoilers yet because I hadn't read the book through by that point. I will go back and see what others said about it now.

Maybe if you don't mind you could transcribe it here for those whose copies don't have that Q&A? I already returned it to the library or else I'd have done it. Even if only just the blackheath question.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished Otherland vol 1. The second half really delivered, it's a great mix of a gripping real-world plot and stunning VR imagery. I'm just a bit unsure of the direction of the story. It seems like from now on it will take place almost entirely in virtual reality, and I'm not sure if I like that. In the first book there's a side-plot about a character 'trapped' in VR worlds, and while the different settings he moved through were amazing, in the end he just kept going in circles.

Fortunately things actually happened in the rest of the book. And I like how Williams trusts his readers to figure things out on their own. The different plot threads are pretty separate for the most part, but there are connections, they are just never spelled out directly.

But this also means I spent a lot of time flipping back 300 pages to check if a mysterious character who disappeared two pages after he was introduced or a conversation that didn't make sense at the time could be relevant now. Which means I'll probably jump straight into the next volume, because if I don't do that I'll forget half the side-characters (there are a ton)

OP
OP
MilkBeard

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you don't mind you could transcribe it here for those whose copies don't have that Q&A? I already returned it to the library or else I'd have done it. Even if only just the blackheath question.
Yeah, I will transcribe the two questions here where he mentions it briefly.

SPOILERS for Evelyn Hardcastle. Don't open it if you haven't read it yet.

In one hundred years, do you believe there will be something similar to Blackheath, and would you support such a system?
Yes, and not exactly. Our prison system is barbaric, but some people deserve it. That's the tricky part of pinning your flag to the left or right of the moral spectrum. I think the current system is unsustainable, and I think personality adjustment and mental prisons are dangerous, achievable technology somebody will abuse. They could also solve a lot of problems. Would you trust your government with it? I suppose that's the question.

The book is so contained, and we don't get to see the place that Aiden is escaping to! Did you map that out, and is there anything you can share about the society beyond Blackheath's walls?
It's autocratic, technologically advanced, but they still haven't overcome our human weaknesses. You can get everywhere in an hour, but television's still overrun with reality shows, basically. Imagine the society that could create something as hateful as Annabelle Caulker.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished The Drawing of the Three. Nothing prepared me for this weirdness. What a unique book, with so much heart. I'm kinda iffy on the Detta character, don't really know what to make of her, but everything else is nearly perfect. I was having a bit of trouble during the first third or so of the book but it just grows and grows, just like Eddie's character.

And a bonus from the audiobook, the dude reading is hilarious with his take on the lobstrosities. I giggled every time, despite everything else going on.

Started on Evelyn Hardcastle. Just a few chapters in, it's intriguing.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Need a recommendation for some new epic fantasy that isn't elves, dwarves, and wizards. (New... means new to me. Old stuff is fine.)

Been a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, Anne McCaffery, and Robert Jordan over the years, but have had problems as of late finding books that work for me.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Need a recommendation for some new epic fantasy that isn't elves, dwarves, and wizards. (New... means new to me. Old stuff is fine.)

Been a big fan of Brandon Sanderson, Anne McCaffery, and Robert Jordan over the years, but have had problems as of late finding books that work for me.

City of Stairs, The Bear and the Nightingale, and The Waking Fire.

My favorite new series though is The Legends of the First Empire. It has elves, but they are quite different than normal, and the relationship between them and humans and the state of the world, which is the focus of the series, is quite unique.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Might as well get the obvious out of the way. Have you read A Song of Ice and Fire? If not, i recommend that.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Might as well get the obvious out of the way. Have you read A Song of Ice and Fire? If not, i recommend that.

I can't make myself read the series since I have seen the TV show and enjoyed it so much. I feel like I would just be annoyed by the differences while overall bored because I know where it is heading.
City of Stairs, The Bear and the Nightingale, and The Waking Fire.

My favorite new series though is The Legends of the First Empire. It has elves, but they are quite different than normal, and the relationship between them and humans and the state of the world, which is the focus of the series, is quite unique.

I'll look into these. Thank you for the recommendations!

Oct 28, 2017
Finished The Drawing of the Three. Nothing prepared me for this weirdness. What a unique book, with so much heart. I'm kinda iffy on the Detta character, don't really know what to make of her, but everything else is nearly perfect. I was having a bit of trouble during the first third or so of the book but it just grows and grows, just like Eddie's character.

And a bonus from the audiobook, the dude reading is hilarious with his take on the lobstrosities. I giggled every time, despite everything else going on.

Started on Evelyn Hardcastle. Just a few chapters in, it's intriguing.

I know what you mean about Detta. In theory it's an interesting idea, using multiple personalities to write about racism, but some of it really doesn't work. I guess Detta is meant as a walking amalgamation of stereotypes, but in practice that makes her just completely uninteresting to read about.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean about Detta. In theory it's an interesting idea, using multiple personalities to write about racism, but some of it really doesn't work. I guess Detta is meant as a walking amalgamation of stereotypes, but in practice that makes her just completely uninteresting to read about.

Yeah i kept thinking that the point could have been easily made with a less over the top version of the character. I think it kinda works at times but then some lines just straight up left a bad taste in my mouth and took me out of it. I do like how it gets resolved though.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I can't make myself read the series since I have seen the TV show and enjoyed it so much. I feel like I would just be annoyed by the differences while overall bored because I know where it is heading.

I'll look into these. Thank you for the recommendations!

The opposite of this is why I never watched the show. Though I have been slowly watching it recently, now that my memory of the books has started to fog up. I can't freaking believe they cut Lady Stoneheart though, one of the only redeeming things about that entire book.

As for the recommendations, I'm not sure how epic fantasy they are, they mostly feature one PoV and some are pretty locally based, though the sequel to The Bear and the Nightingale is decidely more epic than the first in scope. They are good fantasy books without fantasy tropes, and First Empire is tropes used in fresh ways.

Though First Empire is certainly epic fantasy.

Regardless, I hope my suggestions are useful to you.

Edit: This may be a strange recommendation because it isn't fantasy, but definitely fits "epic", but if you have not read East of Eden you most certainly should. It's incredible.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My one resolution every year is to keep my Goodreads up to date, and it's something I fizzle out on after a few months, so hopefully by starting my resolution a little early, and starting to post in the Era book thread, I can be proactive and fight off entropy.

I'm off until the 7th and I'm looking forward to getting a lot of reading done in that time. My kids are off too, and with the way the holidays land means means their daycare is only open 3 days, so I don't think I'll be able to read anything too demanding. That means a bunch of short fiction and non-fiction, as I started earlier this week.

Finished:
Mistaken Identity: Race and Class in the Age of Trump, by Asad Haider. A well-intentioned work that looks to reframe modern identity politics by looking to the past works of coalition building by collectives such as the Combahee River Collective. I felt the thesis lost steam once Haider moved beyond the context of black feminist thought and his own personal history and started to compare the works of Philip Roth to Amiri Baraka. Still, the chapters that work are propulsive and engaging, and while I didn't love the book on the whole I'm going to look up any interviews or talks Haider gave in support of this book, which I'm sure are enlightening.
Europe's Fault Lines: Racism and the Rise of the Right, by Liz Fekete. An excellent, exhaustive, journalistic look at the record of hard/extreme right activities in Europe over the last quarter century. Really enjoyed this.

Currently reading:
Revolting Prostitutes: The Fight for Sex Workers' Rights, by Molly Smith and Juno Mac. Yes, I am working through my Verso Books backlog, how can you tell? I only read the introduction last night. Looking forward to reading this over the coming days.
How Long 'til Black Future Month?,
by N.K Jemisin. I know it shouldn't surprise me how versatile Jemisin is as she effortlessly sheds style and tense in actual series she writes, but it does. Among the best prose stylists in fantasy today. I should say however, there is very little fantasy here, at least up front.

May 17, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

moving right along in my Witcher book series. I just finished Time of Contempt which had some of the best writing in the latter half of that book than anything else in this whole series. Can't wait to dive into this Baptism book- there is suppose to be more Geralt in this book- he wasn't around much in ToC.

-EDIT- I wasn't aware of that Good Reads site or that ERA had a book club there. I'll try to set up a profile today.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

David Gemmell - The Drenai Saga

One of my favorite series as a teenager but honestly it still holds up well as I re-read them a couple of years ago. They are all set in the same country but on different characters in different time spans. The first book 'Legend' is about a fortress from an empire that has gone soft and bloated over the years. It faces the worlds largest army appoaching them where a warlord has done the unthinkable and united every clan. The fortress has a couple of months to prepare for what is by all appearances an unwinnable fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.