• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a few chapters into The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Harcastle (still on day one). I don't know what I expected*, but it wasn't this.

To be fair I literally bought the book because it had been mentioned here and was cheap on Amazon, didn't even read a blurb. I guess I was expectting some kind of supernatural shenanigans (I know I'm still really early).

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I swear this isn't meant to be as pretentious as it sounds...

I feel like Franzen's Freedom has somewhat ruined reading for me at the moment. It's not that like nothing compares or some dumb shit like that, but everything I've read since then just feels bare bones and kind of lifeless. I don't know if it's just been the choice of books afterward, but both Three-Body Problem and Earthsea have just sort of felt brief in a way.

I'm still enjoying reading them, I just can't get the thought out of my head that I'm wanting more from the characters and stories I'm reading and they're just giving me plot plot plot.

OP
OP
MilkBeard

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a few chapters into The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Harcastle (still on day one). I don't know what I expected*, but it wasn't this.

To be fair I literally bought the book because it had been mentioned here and was cheap on Amazon, didn't even read a blurb. I guess I was expectting some kind of supernatural shenanigans (I know I'm still really early).
Keep reading, Number45.

I feel like Franzen's Freedom has somewhat ruined reading for me at the moment. It's not that like nothing compares or some dumb shit like that, but everything I've read since then just feels bare bones and kind of lifeless. I don't know if it's just been the choice of books afterward, but both Three-Body Problem and Earthsea have just sort of felt brief in a way.

I'm still enjoying reading them, I just can't get the thought out of my head that I'm wanting more from the characters and stories I'm reading and they're just giving me plot plot plot.

Earthsea is written in a more detached, plot and worldbuilding style, but still with a pretty good pace. I would say maybe put it away for a while and come back after you satisfy this need for character. Wizard of Earthsea, though it is a bit light on character, is lovingly written and tight for a fantasy book. To me, the descriptions are amazing--almost perfect--and the world feels fully realized. The downside is that, with how brief the book is, the characters can feel a bit thinner than bigger, more detailed works. It didn't really bother me much, because even with their simplicity they are still pretty good characters.

Last edited:

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Fret not, I'm stubborn as hell with books. Once I start the chances of me not finishing are super slim - only two I can think of are Infinite Jest (I'm definitely going to read this in full some day, but each time I pick it up seems to be the wrong time) and, amazingly, I picked up a book of short sci-fi series that included Who Goes There (because The Thing is awesome) and I hated that story so much that I didn't finish it AND refused to read any more of the stories. Completely irrational I know.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Hmm, I'll see if I can speak to this. For Three-Body Problem, sci-fi is a genre of ideas and thought experiments, so characters don't often get the exploration that you'd see in something like a Jane Austen novel.

Fantasy can be a little more complex when it comes to characters, but it's also pretty plot-driven.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I'll see if I can speak to this. For Three-Body Problem, sci-fi is a genre of ideas and thought experiments, so characters don't often get the exploration that you'd see in something like a Jane Austen novel.

Fantasy can be a little more complex when it comes to characters, but it's also pretty plot-driven.

This is honestly what I'm mostly thinking, especially with Three-Body. It was just weird going back to back on books and having the same feelings.

My next book I think I am just going to go into picking it a little more conscious of what I pick.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
This is honestly what I'm mostly thinking, especially with Three-Body. It was just weird going back to back on books and having the same feelings.

My next book I think I am just going to go into picking it a little more conscious of what I pick.

Good call. After I go through my current backlog of 65-ish books, I'm going to be quite careful with what I choose to read. I'll be 38 by the time I get through them, and I figure I'm getting short on time to spend it on reading things I know I either won't enjoy or that is "okay." It's why I almost gave up on The Dragonbone Chair, and why I did give up on A Tale of Two Cities.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I add books to my to-read list all willy-nilly, which essentially works as my backlog, but they're all just books that happened to sound interesting at some point, something I might check out. I never planned to finish the backlog or anything like that.

I do have a "downloaded" list on Goodreads too, though, for books that I have already purchased and downloaded to my iPad, but haven't read yet. They're the books that I'll for sure at least give a try soon.

And yeah, if you're not enjoying a book at all after, say, 50 to 100 pages, just drop it. There's incredible amounts of stuff to read, why waste it reading something you're not enjoying?

Oct 28, 2017
Good to hear! I may return to Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn at some point, so it's good to know that Williams' current output is also as enthralling as it sounds here.

I hope it stays this way! The story is teasing this super secret VR world that the characters will probably enter at some point. Right now the real-world plot keeps everything grounded, but without that the whole thing might lose its focus. If it becomes just a sequence of crazy simulations it might get tiring.

Right know Williams is actually writing a sequel trilogy two Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. I kind of want to read that, too, but I'd probably have to reread the first Ostean Ard books, and that's a huge undertaking

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I add books to my to-read list all willy-nilly, which essentially works as my backlog, but they're all just books that happened to sound interesting at some point, something I might check out. I never planned to finish the backlog or anything like that.

I do have a "downloaded" list on Goodreads too, though, for books that I have already purchased and downloaded to my iPad, but haven't read yet. They're the books that I'll for sure at least give a try soon.

And yeah, if you're not enjoying a book at all after, say, 50 to 100 pages, just drop it. There's incredible amounts of stuff to read, why waste it reading something you're not enjoying?

I'm the same way. When I'm looking for my next book to read I'll go through the list and literally not remember or know half the books.

I usually have to be in the right mood for a specific type of book otherwise I won't be all that interested.

SmileBrandon

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
51cQEdN9KuL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
My actual to-read pile is usually fairly small as I get through several books a week. I use my online list more as a to-buy pile - it's about 95-strong at present, which would probably last me around half a year if I bought them all.
I have a long commute, or I'd probably finish books at a less frantic pace.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

I don't consider my Goodreads "to read" list as a backlog - only books that I've actually purchased that are on a bookshelf somewhere in my house, and soon, on my Kindle. THIS backlog I actually want to get through, so I can get rid of the stuff that I know I won't be reading again, and keep the stuff that I can see myself picking up again in 10 years or something like that.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

How are you liking it? I read it for the first time this year and it's now one of the foundation texts of my personal approach to life. :) And which translation are you reading? The Modern Library version by Gregory Hayes is the one I read because it was recommended to me, and it was infinitely readable and practical.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Finished GRRMs Fire and blood. It was decent. A little dry. I've been reading Game of Thrones since 1996, so I'm just happy to get another book in the series.

51sw9sAJJ3L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edit your post so we know what book you're talking about. LOL

Lol. I posted a pic, but it didn't go through.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bk3mdw5.jpg

Completed The North Water today. Read the first half in one sitting, and I'd have repeated that for the 2nd half if I had more spare time.
Apparently they're turning it in a TV series that'll air in 2019. Thinking about re-reading Howl's Moving Castle next.

51QyATbAmJL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Loving this series so far
I loved the short stories from The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, but I really struggled to get through Blood of Elves.
Really hoping ToC will sit better with me, because I want to read the books before playing the game.

May 17, 2018
I loved the short stories from The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, but I really struggled to get through Blood of Elves.
Really hoping ToC will sit better with me, because I want to read the books before playing the game.

there is a STARK difference between the Witcher short stories and the Witcher novels. The shorts stories felt like they were ripped out of the games- Geralt walking into town and meeting, talking to, doing battle with a monster. a little political talk here and there, but not much since nothing was really brewing at that point in the timeline war wise.

Plus you spend plenty of time with Geralt in the short stories. A lot of these novels so far are a LOT of time with Ciri and whomever she is with (which I dig- not a complaint). I think I spent 40 pages or so with just Citi and Yennifer training with just rumors of a Witcher doing his work in the periphery.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished The Luminaries. In short, I would agree with a review I saw on Goodreads that the book should have ended somewhere around 70% of the pages. The start is a bit slow, which is kind of a bad impression for this 830 pages book that deals with about 15 characters. The story picks up soon and it becomes easier to follow the characters. Im not sure what the astrology aspect throughout the chapters added to the book, though. But I don't know (not am I interested in) the first thing about astrology and not sure if it provided the reader with hints on the whole mystery. And I dunno if I missed this part but
is it ever explained where Emery ended up missing? The crate on Godspeed? Tbh I thought it would've been perfect if the book ended on the flashback of Anna meeting Emery on the ship
Overall, it's a 3.5/5 for me.

Next up, back to Murakami with Kafka on the Shore.

SmileBrandon

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
How are you liking it? I read it for the first time this year and it's now one of the foundation texts of my personal approach to life. :) And which translation are you reading? The Modern Library version by Gregory Hayes is the one I read because it was recommended to me, and it was infinitely readable and practical.
That's the same version I'm reading! I love how it drives logos to be the one of main foundations for us people to run on, instead of anything external. It's for sure making me enthusiastic for philosophy, not just for Stoicism. What were your main takeaways?

Jan 13, 2018
I'd planned on starting an Andre Norton scifi novel on my audiobook livestream tonight but got out-voted by the stream regulars, so we'll be giving Mary Shelley's unabridged Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus a shot.

IrLH8DCm.jpg

I've added that 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle to my Libby queue, for personal reading. Too many recommendations to ignore.

digitalsea

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb yesterday. That one took longer than the previous two. It was slow going at first, but then picked up and I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. I love the characters and world so much that I will definitely return for her other books.

But, first, Morning Star by Pierce Brown. I waited a whole year for it to go on sale. It finally did during Black Friday. Now to see how the story wraps up...

51NNve8He2L.jpg
This reminded me I really need to go back and finish the last book of this series, hate leaving stuff unfinished.

Whatever do you mean by "wraps up" and "last book"?

81rAGURQpCL.jpg

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
That's the same version I'm reading! I love how it drives logos to be the one of main foundations for us people to run on, instead of anything external. It's for sure making me enthusiastic for philosophy, not just for Stoicism. What were your main takeaways?

So many takeaways...

-life is short, so you should get a move on

-concern yourself with what matters and free yourself from distractions; maintain your focus on practicing universal virtues such as patience, love, justice, and charity

-humans were made for each other, so we should treat each other with kindness and tolerance. We were made for others

-your mind is yours to shape. The quality of your thoughts will shape the quality of your mind and character

-your pain, anger, and the pursuit of pleasure can all be controlled through a disciplined mind

-if someone's actions upset you, don't respond with anger, but with tolerance and gentle correction

-humility, not arrogance, pride, or greed

-self-reliance, not dependence

-but don't be afraid to ask for help

-don't become obsessed with the minds of other people; only focus on what you can control, which is your own mind

-do good for the sake of good; don't hunger for recognition and awards

-right thoughts, right words, right actions

-perseverance

-be open to correction if you make a mistake

-focus on the present

-shut up and do what nature demands of you (work, move, unselfish action after unselfish action)

-separate yourself from your ego - you already know what you have to do, so do it

I'd planned on starting an Andre Norton scifi novel on my audiobook livestream tonight but got out-voted by the stream regulars, so we'll be giving Mary Shelley's unabridged Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus a shot.

IrLH8DCm.jpg

I've added that 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle to my Libby queue, for personal reading. Too many recommendations to ignore.

That's the version of Frankenstein I own. Always happy to see that cover. :)

more people should read this tbh

Agreed. It's life-changing. I'm going to gift it to people who I think would like it or benefit from it. It provides solid moral guidelines and is an answer to people who say "but how can you teach right from wrong without the Bible/a religious text?" Mind you, Marcus was clearly a believer in god/the gods.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Here is my Goodreads review:

Every time I read a book by Neil Gaiman, I wonder why I don't read more books by Neil Gaiman.

The Graveyard Book is a chilling coming-of-age story of a mortal boy who is raised by ghosts after the murder of his family. It's episodic in nature, as each chapter jumps a couple of years in the boy's life. Each story is unique and either reveals more of the world of the book or shows how the boy is changing, all the while drawing a long narrative thread that keeps everything focused and connected.

I listened to he full-cast audio performance of the book, and while the performances were all top notch, I feel like I would have gotten even more out of this book had I read it in its physical form. Some of the prose are just so sumptuous and I feel I'd be able to savour them more on the page.

Hearing the book all at once also left me with some questions, the most prominent of which was how the boy was even allowed to enter a school, and where exactly he was going to go at the end of the novel with a couple of bucks to his name and not a lot of outside-of-the-graveyard experience. The story and history around Jack's organization also felt a little incomplete, but again, I feel all of this might have come off differently if I had read the book rather than listened to it.

If Goodreads allowed for half-star reviews, this would be a 4.5/5 for me. I might even bump this up to five stars at some point if I get a chance to read the physical copy. As is, I still very much enjoyed my trip through the graveyard and getting to take in Gaiman's singular prose.

On a random note, I'd love to see this get made into a Netflix or Amazon Prime series. I'll also probably check out the graphic novel version of the book at some point.

After writing this, I read that there's supposed to be a movie based on this. Last news was from 2013 with Ron Howard attached to direct. Hrm.

Last edited:

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I finished Hardcastle. I liked it a lot, I especially liked how it didn't devolve into confusing mush. Everything made sense, even when I doubted it would.

It's still perhaps too complicated, but I think it's to be expected given the ambitious nature.

I will be very interested to see what this author does next, even if I'm not sure what I personally want from him.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
What are everyone's thoughts on The Yiddish Policemen's Union? I thought the premise was fascinating, but I couldn't really get into it because the language was too flowery and not in an enjoyable way. That was a while back and I'm now thinking about giving it another try

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Currently reading:

Mannahatta: a Natural history of New York City by Eric Sanderson
am_mannahatta_01.jpg

Ethics for a Full World by Tormod V. Burkey
51K4QDHJnlL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Hardcastle is available for pick-up at the library, so I'll get it one of these days. I don't know if I should start it right away, or maybe wait until January depending on how many people have holds on it. I have two other books that I have yet to get to which are due back right after Christmas.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Hardcastle is available for pick-up at the library, so I'll get it one of these days. I don't know if I should start it right away, or maybe wait until January depending on how many people have holds on it. I have two other books that I have yet to get to which are due back right after Christmas.
If it's any help it doesn't seem like it should take long to get through. I've been at it for less than a couple of hours (I do most of my reading during lunch at work) and the Kindle is showing me at nearly 20% and I'm not a particularly speedy reader.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry

I just finished this book moments ago. It was quite an interesting read given how big a Leafs fan I am, and how I grew up watching Curtis Joseph play both for the Leafs and other teams. He was one of my favourite players, and this offered a lot of insight into his career and the behind-the-scenes lifestyles of some of my favourite players.

I *think* this might just be my 50th finished book this year. I could be wrong, because I didn't keep as much record earlier this year as I do now, and am not sure if I finished one or two at the end of 2017 instead of early 2018. I wish I knew for sure, but I guess it doesn't really matter. It'd probably still technically be 50 books in a year, because, well, 2018 hasn't ended yet.

That's a major milestone for me, and far more than I ever expected or got to before.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I just finished this book moments ago. It was quite an interesting read given how big a Leafs fan I am, and how I grew up watching Curtis Joseph play both for the Leafs and other teams. He was one of my favourite players, and this offered a lot of insight into his career and the behind-the-scenes lifestyles of some of my favourite players.

I *think* this might just be my 50th finished book this year. I could be wrong, because I didn't keep as much record earlier this year as I do now, and am not sure if I finished one or two at the end of 2017 instead of early 2018. I wish I knew for sure, but I guess it doesn't really matter. It'd probably still technically be 50 books in a year, because, well, 2018 hasn't ended yet.

That's a major milestone for me, and far more than I ever expected or got to before.

Nice job! I also just hit 50 for the year recently, which is also the most books I've ever read in a single year. Super happy with that.

I was never a Leafs fan, but I liked Curtis Joseph. Any surprising stories that you can recall from the book?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Nice job! I also just hit 50 for the year recently, which is also the most books I've ever read in a single year. Super happy with that.

I was never a Leafs fan, but I liked Curtis Joseph. Any surprising stories that you can recall from the book?

Thanks! And congrats on the accomplishment, yourself.

His childhood was really shocking. He grew up super poor, fostered by a nurse who 'adopted' him from the teenage mom who gave birth to him. The lady who adopted (sort of) him was not very loving or nice, and had drug and anger issues. They were also dirt poor and he didn't always have winter clothing.

His mom left her husband abruptly, then started a relationship with a black man who had the last name of Joseph, when he was young. They moved into his house, after his wife died (she had been his nurse) and she eventually kicked his daughter out. Then they traded the home for the ability to run a home for folks with metal issues and brain damage, as well as those found mentally incompetent after committing crimes. They moved in there and lived there, and Curtis' room was beside some of the mens' rooms. Meanwhile, his mom didn't do much there and locked herself in her room with the drugs she was to distribute to the men.

In Saskatchewan, where he went to school and played with Rod Brind'amour, they would play this game where they'd jump out of a truck through the window, run around it and climb back in. One teammate also got run over when he went to a bar with other older teammates. They drove off without him after stopping to take a piss. He ran after them, they realized what they'd done, then backed up and ran over him.

He couldn't remember and wondered why his ribs hurt the next day.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michele McNamara and it was a good read if you're into true crimes. I'll be honest, a lot of details in this fucked me up. Glad they caught the guy after this book came out cause holy shit is he both a literal and figurative monster. Not sure what I'll read next. I've only go to read one more book to complete my goodreads challenge so maybe I'll do something really short?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks! And congrats on the accomplishment, yourself.

His childhood was really shocking. He grew up super poor, fostered by a nurse who 'adopted' him from the teenage mom who gave birth to him. The lady who adopted (sort of) him was not very loving or nice, and had drug and anger issues. They were also dirt poor and he didn't always have winter clothing.

His mom left her husband abruptly, then started a relationship with a black man who had the last name of Joseph, when he was young. They moved into his house, after his wife died (she had been his nurse) and she eventually kicked his daughter out. Then they traded the home for the ability to run a home for folks with metal issues and brain damage, as well as those found mentally incompetent after committing crimes. They moved in there and lived there, and Curtis' room was beside some of the mens' rooms. Meanwhile, his mom didn't do much there and locked herself in her room with the drugs she was to distribute to the men.

In Saskatchewan, where he went to school and played with Rod Brind'amour, they would play this game where they'd jump out of a truck through the window, run around it and climb back in. One teammate also got run over when he went to a bar with other older teammates. They drove off without him after stopping to take a piss. He ran after them, they realized what they'd done, then backed up and ran over him.

He couldn't remember and wondered why his ribs hurt the next day.

Damn. Didn't know he came from such a rough background. Pretty impressive career he was able to put together despite that. Does he mention what his relationship with his mom is now?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm looking for a good book to read for a flight. On a scifi and fantasy kick right now so a book along those lines would be great. For reference on what I like as I said earlier I really liked Dune and I enjoyed my time with the Witcher series.

So please hit me with your recommendations! Hell if you can't think of anything that is similer to what I said I liked. Just pitch me some stuff that has won an award or two. I am very easily sold on shit that has a somewhat meaningless accolade tied to it.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for a good book to read for a flight. On a scifi and fantasy kick right now so a book along those lines would be great. For reference on what I like as I said earlier I really liked Dune and I enjoyed my time with the Witcher series.

So please hit me with your recommendations! Hell if you can't think of anything that is similer to what I said I liked. Just pitch me some stuff that has won an award or two. I am very easily sold on shit that has a somewhat meaningless accolade tied to it.

try this. don't know if it won any awards or not though.
8855321.jpg

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Just finished Mistborn: The Final Empire. Loved the book and am excited to finish the trilogy and maybe get into The Stormlight Archives after.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England

This isn't exactly light reading, but it's got something of Dune's scope and ambition, and won the author a Hugo:

26114545.jpg

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017

I've started The City and the City by China Miéville and I'm super hooked. It's a cross between murder mystery/police procedural and "weird fiction", with supernatural elements. It takes place in two cities which occupy the same place at the same time for mysterious reasons (but not in the way you might think).

4703581.jpg

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Decided to finally drop Alloy of Law. I just don't care about the whole Cosmere thing. I'll stick to scifi from Sanderson, assuming he ever ends up writing anything in addition to Skyward and its sequels.

Picked up:
25895524.jpg

I could never really get into Prince of Thorns, but I have a slightly better feeling about this one. Sounds interesting based on the blurb. I'll probably get started tonight.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Perennial Seller and A Farewell to Arms, now halfway through Hillbilly Elegy. Both quite good. Next I'll hit The Obstacle is the Way. I like to mix up the Fiction and non-fiction to keep things interesting.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Damn. Didn't know he came from such a rough background. Pretty impressive career he was able to put together despite that. Does he mention what his relationship with his mom is now?

The adopted mom moved to Nova Scotia abruptly and he never saw her again. Then he got word she'd passed away I think before he got to the NHL, and flew to the funeral.

He met his biological mom when he was with the Blues

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Decided to delve into non-fiction a lot more lately. Currently juggling between:

51WI7LXn1IL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
and
9781781259801.jpg

Though, I sneak in a graphic novel every once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.