• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Halfway through Hardcastle. It's been good so far.

Just learned that Cunningham is Helena's bastard son, born through Carver and used to blackmail her husband.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Evelyn Hardcastle. It's been a long time since a book grabbed my thoughts like this. Jotting down some scattered opinions as a spoiler just in case:

It's a pretty good mystery overall, though the last couple of chapters falter a little i think. It ends up suffering a bit of the 'one more thing' syndrome. Felt like there was a mystery too many when i was already thoroughly satisfied as it was. At that point, my interest was with Annabelle and Aiden and not so much with the secondary characters on their tale.

On the brighter side, it's also a well oiled clockwork mechanism. It might change in subsequent readings, but on a first read nothing jumped at me as out of place or contradictory. The host characters work really well as tools, adversaries and also facets of Aiden's character building. Blackheath is a fantastic setting, broken down and rotten to the core, much like its guests. The writing is sharp and to the point, which i appreciate in such plot driven books.

I really enjoyed it and i hope the author finds more stories of this caliber within him. I'll be up for them.

Ciaran Hinds would be absolutely perfect as Ted Stanwin. Just saying.

Last edited:

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Finished some days ago Stone of Farewell.

Now reading To Green Angel Tower

9781473622029.jpg

This series is easily becoming one of my favourites in this genre and Seoman Simon one of my favourite characters.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Currently in the middle of The Culture's Excession. The world of the Culture is still as fascinating as usual, but the flow of the story is often interrupted by the number of plotlines the novel has.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
latest

Currently in the middle of The Culture's Excession. The world of the Culture is still as fascinating as usual, but the flow of the story is often interrupted by the number of plotlines the novel has.

I just finished this one myself. It's my least favorite of the Culture books so far, but that still puts it above a lot of other SF books.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one

I sat and read around 100 pages of it today, and I'm quite enjoying it. It seems like a nice easy read, is fast paced, has a couple of interesting characters so far. Still suffers from the usual cliche plotline that haunts young adult books (teenagers take on evil grown ups), but what can ya do.

I've just read the part where
They're attacked on the airhaven by the robot(?) Shrike, that was quite exciting.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapped up the year yesterday finishing my goal of 30 books or 2.5 books/month for the year on Goodreads with The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I've been really enjoying getting back into reading and this thread has helped me pick up a number of good books to read and helped me add to my "want to read" list.

Anyways, I want to thank you all and wish you a happy 2019 in reading or otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.