• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
4edffa61b5c9d8d2e960e579e8df9c9626a5652b.jpg

• Release Date: December 13th, 2018
  • Developer: Thing Trunk
  • Publisher: Thing Trunk
  • Platforms: Steam
  • Price: 21.99€ / $24.99

What is Book of Demons? The developer describes it as "A deck-building hack and slash adventure, where it's the player who decides the length of quests!" on their website and that pretty much sums it up. But allow me to go into more detail as to why this is a fantastic little gem of a game that fans of the genre should not skip!

ss_a9a284e77b1ebe46bd43cf6c788e833fa7e87ce0.600x338.jpg
ss_8583be9330977992ca1c15909f6b237dfa7b7c79.600x338.jpg

Book of Demons is a love letter to hack and slash dungeon crawling games, particularly Diablo, but with very different and very original mechanics. While the game works in real time like any of the genre would, your movement is actually limited to the path you are on, and you can only move in the four cardinal directions. It almost feels like you are playing a board game, except it's all in real time and you can still dodge missiles and move away from monsters. Because the game uses this simpler gameplay, a lot of the challenge actually comes from screen management, attacking the correct enemies and more importantly, clicking on the correct things. You see, a big part of Book of Demons is clicking specific things, so much so that I'm shocked there is no mobile version (yet?). Enemy has armor that you need to break before you can hurt him? You need to click the little shield icon on his body to break the shield before you can damage him. An enemy poisoned you? You can spam click your health bar to remove the poison faster. Sometimes enemies will cast spells and have icons above their heads, well you can click and hold on those icons to stop them from casting them, or when an enemy stuns you you get a little mini-game where you have to click away a bunch of stars on the screen before you regain control. Even the looting feels like it's tailor made for a mobile seting, since you are on a specific narrow path all the time, you just click at far away chests and barrels to open them, mouse over gold to pick it up or loot items from dead monsters even if they are nowhere near you. Don't let this mobile comparisons scare you tho, it works rgeat and it actually gets very frenetic when there are lots of monsters around attacking you and you are managing your spells and what each enemy needs to be done on it, it's all very well executed and very fun.

ss_2e65287df509285b490d77b8c8fc3e30acc32b72.600x338.jpg
ss_06b1874fa3b12bdd54b95edefa012a521fcae864.600x338.jpg

The deck building aspect comes in the form of the various cards you collect from monsters and whatnot. But in reality, these are basically acting as your diablo skills and passives, there is no drawing of cards or shuffling of decks like an actual card game has, you have a loadout with various cards (up to a maximum of 10 through various upgrades in the town) which is your character's build, or "deck" if you want to call it that, but again, the cards are just a visual representation of skills, and they act more like the loadouts in other Diablo-style games (especially modern ones which limit how many skills you can have at any given point) than they do in something like Slay the Spire for example.

There are some cool aspects of this card system tho, you can upgrade them in town for stronger and new effects on them, and you can find rarer versions of the same card which will also have new effects. For example, the Warrior class starts with a "Pummel" card, a skill that lets you do damage on a monster and has a chance to stun them. Later on you might find a rare version of this card, and now it also makes it so it does a shockwave around the enemy when you hit it, or it heals you for a small amount. You can pick which one you want to use from your collection (seems each class has 40 cards in total, not counting the various rare variables) and they will have different costs to maintain them, so you have to create a balanced loadout to suceed, not unlike you would in a card game I suppose.

ss_2ba9843a9d8fbba4baa9dcd5e7facf77040be1fa.600x338.jpg
ss_59b283fe30a44f2d959c052cf1f85b837438a131.600x338.jpg

There are several other cool things about the game that I won't get into but I just want to mention one last feature and that is their "Flexiscope" system. Basically you can choose how long your dungeon runs will be, and the longer they are, the harder they get obviously and the more rewards you will have. But if you are short on time and just want to do a quick run before you head out, you can choose the shorter dungeon and just have a quick run. It's a really neat system and while I mostly just play on the longest runs, I can see how some people will apreciate being able to do shorter runs and still get the same enjoyment out of the game.

So between the 3 act campaign with various degree of length depending on how long you make each run to be, and the three available classes to choose from, each with their own specific skill cards to collect, this should easily last you a fair bit especially since the nature of the genre is replayability. The papercraft look of the game is great and really makes it feel like a boardgame come to life and the gameplay loop is just as addictive as any other dungeon crawler. Highly recomended if you are a fan of the genre.

Last edited:

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This looks pretty good. Will have to try it. Thx op

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to get this last night because it looked great and it has full controller support according to the store page.

From the description in the OP it sounds like it is made to be played with the mouse with having to quickly click on small icons.

How does it play with controller?

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
Picked it up last night, but haven't had a chance to try it yet with how stacked the indie releases have been the past couple of weeks.

Note for anyone on the fence: If you own Darkest Dungeon, you should be getting a 66% coupon for the game in your inventory, which stacks with the launch discount.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I bought this when it was in early access back in 2016, it was a great game already then had a lot of fun with it, been waiting for the release version!

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Picked it up last night, but haven't had a chance to try it yet with how stacked the indie releases have been the past couple of weeks.

Note for anyone on the fence: If you own Darkest Dungeon, you should be getting a 66% coupon for the game in your inventory, which stacks with the launch discount.

I was wondering why Steam gave me that coupon, well got me to buy the game and it really good.

Oct 27, 2017
The game is a lot of fun! Screenshots really don't sell how well the game actually plays.
When I first read how the game was a Diablo "clone" of sorts, with a paper cut-out aesthetic, and with cards instead of weapons, skills and potions, I couldn't imagine how it could actually work. But it does!

There's a demo available, so if anyone likes the genre, do give it a try.
It's well worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

How are they related, though?
The games are not really related.
It was simply a case of the developers being friendly with one another, and did this cross-promotion coupon, so that owners of one game may consider getting the other.

It's cool when indie developers do things like this.
It reminds me of something the developers of Renowned Explorers: International Society, and The Curious Expedition did. Both games (which are also a lot of fun, and highly recommended by the way) kept getting compared with one another, because they feature similar themes (but very different gameplay). On forums of both games, people kept asking which one was better.
So, the developers did something really cool: they made a joint bundle of both games, that was available for a year or so, in which you could either buy both, or if you owned one you would get a chance to get the other at a discount, and try it for yourself. It was a playful, cool way to turn a perceived "rivalry" between the two games and developers, into a chance for owners of one game, to try the other at a discount.

Last edited:

ThirtyFour

Oct 25, 2017
I saw your post on this on in the PC thread and it definitely spiked my interest, especially since I got that coupon for 66% off. I've downloaded the demo and played a little bit so far.

It does remind me of Darkest Dungeon with the general setup of the game even though the gameplay is different. It's definitely intriguing but not enough to jump at, will be going back to it later today and try to get a better feel of the game.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Also got the 66% off from Darkest Dungeon, does it add to the already 20% discount in the game price? I am thinking about buying it after finish Below that i also bought today.

OP
OP
Rhaknar

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Was actually thinking of my build tiday as I was walking home, and how I barely have enough mana for skills because I have too many passives. Need to change it a bit but those passives are so good tho. I also need to drop this aoe skill I have because one of my passives (a legendary version no less) makes all my attacks be aoe basically so it seems unneeded.

Still, neat that you have this urgency with how to build.

Edit: Just died for the first time (Im on Chapter 2 near the boss, playing on the longest dungeon) and lost all my cauldron rewards...

tenor.gif

Had like 2 golds and 1 silver there waiting... fuck my life lol. Totally on me tho, I got cute with hoarding it and paid the price I guess >_<

You only lose the actual rewards btw, the stat increases you didnt take when you level up are still there at least, thats nice and logical. The game is full of logical systems, really impressed.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Despite vowing to not buy any more games for December and January (backlog is just ridiculous atm) I couldn't resist that 20% + 66% off reduction. I'm only an hour in so far but already loving it. Uninstalled Darkest Dungeon even!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhaknar

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
man game is getting stressful near the end of the campaign, its basically a mess of monsters on top of me and im spamming skills, clicking the screen on shields and spells to interrupt and shit and spamming health pots... so basically its like a Diablo greater rift lol :p

Also used a key to go back and kill not-butcher on a higher difficulty, it was pretty easy. Still doing the warrior campaign tho, I want to try the others but I might aswell finish this one at least once.

edit: finished the campaign with the warrior, 9 hours or so (lost a bunch of gold rewards I was hoarding in the cauldron because I died in the last level lol), you unlock freeplay when you finish where you can continue playing and you select which tileset you want to play on and it has 3 difficulty settings (which you have to unlock) if you want to continue playing with the same character and unlock all the cards I guess.

I rather start over with another class, been wanting to try the mage. Fantastic game overall, well worth the price especially with that 66% voucher floating around.

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Wait, how do I get the Darkest Dungeon discount? I've had DD since it came out.

Edit: Nevermind, shows up when you checkout.

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
This is finally out?
Feels like it was on early access for a really long time

OP
OP
Rhaknar

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Finding mage a lot harder than the warrior. He's a lot more squishy (i assume has less base health or maybe the warrior has some armor mitigating dmg i dunno) and the cards im getting arent particularly good. He has a golem he can summon for example but I havent gotten it :(

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been A while since I've checked this out, but is it roughly still the same? The demo/EA was neat but seemed very grindy a year ago.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm enjoying it a lot! Clocked 2 hours already... Getting close to the first big boss battle. I'm always opting for mana increase when leveling up. Gotta keep my passives up while still being able to cast spells

OP
OP
Rhaknar

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
mage feels much better when you get the golem card. now i need a rare version, only have a common one.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Damn, I didn't realize there was a Darkest Dungeon related coupon. In and out for $7.88CDN - I had the thing on my wishlist but was waiting for a sale. Guess I'm not waiting.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
mage feels much better when you get the golem card. now i need a rare version, only have a common one.
I'm gonna do just like you, first run as warrior second as either mage or archer. I'm now at the catacombs and got a legendary for the aoe spell. The builds I've been trying focusing on casting and mana regen have been nice! When I get low on health, I quickly switch some spell card for life potion and regen.

This game has been very addicting. I love it

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it was a very welcome surprise. I just still don't know how you're supposed to find out about it.
Don't know if you are already using it but have you looked into getting the Enhanced Steam browser extension? It's pretty useful in showing discounts in general but I'm pretty sure it also informed me that I had the coupon for the game on the game profile page before I even pressed the purchase button.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
What a neat little game. It's very...quaint. I don't know how else to quickly explain it - For the King had a similar sort of aesthetic and old-school feel to it as well that I also enjoyed.

I just unlocked the other characters and hit level 10 in the warrior last night. Will absolutely play more later and try out the other classes.

If I had a gripe it's that I wish there was a deadzone setting. My old 360 controller drifts up slightly and in this game that means I'm constantly going up to the left when I let go of the stick.

OP
OP
Rhaknar

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
cant even imagine playing with a controller with how hectic it gets near the end :(

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
cant even imagine playing with a controller with how hectic it gets near the end :(

I'll probably switch at some point, but it was already turned on and I figured I'd try it out.

Ignoring the dead zone bit, collecting coins is awkward and some of the card menus were very obviously never meant for a controller.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I'll probably switch at some point, but it was already turned on and I figured I'd try it out.

Ignoring the dead zone bit, collecting coins is awkward and some of the card menus were very obviously never meant for a controller.
I would definitely switch to m+k, I switched over today and the difference is immediately apparent. Like you said, the menus are terrible with controllers, and just about everything else is easier as well.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the game, but the shield breaking mechanic gets tedious fast. So many enemies have it, and its not a very fun system to deal with. I'm at the point where you're getting bombarded by all sorts of poison/ice projectiles, and you have so many shielded enemies swarming around you at the same time, so its a bit of a war of attrition. My potion stacks versus their bullshit.