• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
Saw the random 66% discount voucher in inventory and thought why the hell not. Went in completely blind and had the biggest grin on my face as more Diablo 1 lore snuck into the game.
First death happened on last boss fight, had no idea how to handle the sheer amount of enemies coming at me.
Started 2nd play though as a rogue and having a ball jumping between different arrow types.
Already clocked 18 hours without realizing it...

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First death happened on last boss fight, had no idea how to handle the sheer amount of enemies coming at me.
With a mage: frost novas to create space/clear out the one heart trash, golem to tie up the spawns and a fighting retreat towards the stairs spamming frost bolts worked for me .

Milena

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really loving the game, thanks for making the thread, as it wasn't on my radar at all.

I'm currently playing with a mage on normal difficult, a warrior on roguelike and a rogue on casual (aka the chill character).

I have to say that I'm loving my mage so far, I do use a lot of passives, although I'm trying to only have the essentials on, as I want to use more spell cards (I've got some interesting legendaries to use!). My main buld is an ice one and it mostly consist of me teleporting around the map, freezing the enemies around me, creating an ice wall to block melee enemies, and then just bombard them with ice shards.
Works pretty well, although certainly not the highest DPS possible.

I'd like to try other builds, as I've got a Legendary Golem that I'd like to use more. Also, I've killed the last boss and the new endless mode that I've briefly tried requires some adjusting strategies!

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I've beaten the 2nd boss and arrived in hell last night, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the high amount of enemies coming at me as soon as I enter the level. Many enemies have golden shields above their head instead of hearts, and they take a long time to beat. What exactly is the meaning of these golden shields?

And there are enemies with padlocks above their head as well. Is this related to the red bar filling up, or is it something else? My screen is so crowded that I sometimes can't see the red bar or shield icons...

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten the 2nd boss and arrived in hell last night, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with the high amount of enemies coming at me as soon as I enter the level. Many enemies have golden shields above their head instead of hearts, and they take a long time to beat. What exactly is the meaning of these golden shields?
After you hit them once they spawn some one heart trash and are immune to damage for a short while. So you should hit them with your strongest attack when they are actually vulnerable, otherwise they are gonna take forever.

And there are enemies with padlocks above their head as well. Is this related to the red bar filling up, or is it something else? My screen is so crowded that I sometimes can't see the red bar or shield icons...
IIRC padlocks on hearts just means the enemy is invulnerable ATM for some reason. Might be due to shield, due to casting a spell or due to being shielded by minions. The red bar is rage and it fills as you attack the monster - you have to wait for a bit for it to go down again, because if you fill it, the monster will make some kind of rage attack, usually AoE with some healing on top.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
After you hit them once they spawn some one heart trash and are immune to damage for a short while. So you should hit them with your strongest attack when they are actually vulnerable, otherwise they are gonna take forever.

IIRC padlocks on hearts just means the enemy is invulnerable ATM for some reason. Might be due to shield, due to casting a spell or due to being shielded by minions. The red bar is rage and it fills as you attack the monster - you have to wait for a bit for it to go down again, because if you fill it, the monster will make some kind of rage attack, usually AoE with some healing on top.

Thanks m8!

OP
OP
Rhaknar

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the padlock hears you break one, then theres a timer until you can break another, so take that time to kill the enemies they spawn (those padlock hearts / gold hearts enemies always spawn adds if you notice)

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa

A fast way to tear through the gold shields is using fire based attacks on them. If the enemy is standing in fire when you hit them, the cool down shield above their head turns red and depletes twice as fast. So you can get their health down a lot faster then waiting for each cool down.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm going thru the game on normal with my warrior. Out of pure distraction I've died three times already (got surrounded and potions ran dry). Though it made me realize that I had the need of something to get things out of me and changed my build drastically. Before, almost all my mana was going to passives. Now, I have half of it unlocked to spam the hell out of my things and I'm loving it so far. What I ended up with is an incredibly over powered build. I just spam all my AoE and kill everything, it's amazing.

Sometimes I feel like it's not worth upgrading a skill though, which feels weird. For example, one of my spells uses 2 mana to deal 4 damage. If I upgraded it, it would deal 6 damage for 4 mana. While mana doubles, damage doesn't. I feel like the effects I get aren't worth the mana increase. Any thoughts?

I've just unlocked the 10th slot card as well. Coming to the end of hell and I'm loving the ride. 9h clocked so far. After finishing, I'm deciding whether I start with a mage or archer.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
the padlock hears you break one, then theres a timer until you can break another, so take that time to kill the enemies they spawn (those padlock hearts / gold hearts enemies always spawn adds if you notice)

That explains why it took me such a damn long time to beat the levels in hell. I like the game very much, but this mechanic is more annoying than fun imo.

A fast way to tear through the gold shields is using fire based attacks on them. If the enemy is standing in fire when you hit them, the cool down shield above their head turns red and depletes twice as fast. So you can get their health down a lot faster then waiting for each cool down.

Great tip, thanks m8! I actually replaced my fire card with a frost one before entering hell. I assumed that creatures in hell would be immune to fire and vulnerable to frost.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I recommend keeping Charge card as an escape tool. Anytime you get dangerously sandwiched, hit that button.

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
Great tip, thanks m8! I actually replaced my fire card with a frost one before entering hell. I assumed that creatures in hell would be immune to fire and vulnerable to frost.

Yeah I had same idea going in to hell, then realized I had to constantly swap out the Frost card for Fire Hearts and Fire card for Gold Shields. Did it so much I got a silver achievement...

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Yeah I had same idea going in to hell, then realized I had to constantly swap out the Frost card for Fire Hearts and Fire card for Gold Shields. Did it so much I got a silver achievement...

Hahaha that doesn't surprise me, this game has so many achievements that I see them popping up all the time. Not sure why they thought this was a good idea...

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Started a roguelike campaign with the rogue after finishing the game with the warrior. Let's see how it goes!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had this in EA for ages and dug it but always thought it was a bit slower paced, but man does the shit get crazy in this game. So if you get this and feel like maybe the first hour or so is slow and a bit static (both enemy and build wise), well, it picks up.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I picked this up when I saw it in my queue and steam pointed out to me that I had a coupon,just played it for a hour and a half or so and it's pretty good has a very streamlined feel to it(in a good way)

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
How are people feeling with the later half of the game? Everything is so tanky now - the amount of enemies and their health makes it feel tedious sometimes.

OP
OP
Rhaknar

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
How are people feeling with the later half of the game? Everything is so tanky now - the amount of enemies and their health makes it feel tedious sometimes.

im about to finish with my second class, you need to use the tools at your disposal a lot more in the late game. Fire spells for ice shields, ice spells for fire shields, be on point with clicking the armor shields, etc.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
This game was recently released for iPad and I have been playing it quite a bit. Game is really solid. Kinda surprised there haven't been more talk about it.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Sorry for the bump but i just saw that this has released on Xbox, PS4, and Switch a couple days ago. I didn't even know console versions were coming!!
I can't find any reviews online other than 1 that had a crashing issue on PS4 on a boss, but otherwise generally liked it. My worry is how it plays with a controller. I *love* this game on Steam and Ipad already but am willing to triple dip if it controls well and doesn't have any massive issues :)

If you are seeing this for the first and have not tried Book of Demons, it's a Papercraft Diablo-like game that is very customizable, very pretty, and has a lot of content! It's now on PC, Ios, and PS4, Xbox, Switch. Check out some videos - It's a really cool game and a neat shakeup from the diablo format in some cool ways.