• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

Not sure what the correct format for this is. Monthly or should we just keep everything in one thread? Is there any interest for a Goodreads Group?

Say hello, tell us what you're reading and what you think of it. What's your favorite book or genre, and can you recommend anything?

What I'm reading: I'm reading Paul Auster's Moon Palace. It's my first Paul Auster book, recommended by a friend. It's a very "simple" story at the moment, but I like that in a novel. You can really put yourself in the protagonist's shoes.

Favorite book: I loved reading through Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's one of the few books, maybe the only book so far, that made me spend whole afternoons on it. Such an incredibly dense book. I'm sure The Brothers Karamazov will also please me, but I'm not ready for that huge undertaking at the moment.

Favorite genre: I love a good sci-fi novel. I really need to continue reading in the Foundation book series. It's definitely at the top of my list.

Welcome! And if anyone has some cool sources or lists to add to the OP, let me know!

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Yay! Books thread!

I have about seven books on the go at the moment, top of the pile is this one:

510RACmkt-L._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

a super survey of medieval protoscientific work.

Probably my go-to book for rereading is this magnificent thing - a delightful history of forgery:

51dmHR6MtPL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Since we never had a book OT before (just monthly threads), perhaps it'd be best if this thread wasn't in the hangouts section? At least for the time being; otherwise it won't get much visibility.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just discovered this. I was waiting to see if Maklershed was coming over before I stepped on his toes. I recommend getting this swapped to the main etcetera section if possible, to increase awareness.

Also, I'm considering trying to restart the Book of the Month club. We never got a ton of participation, but I enjoyed doing it and always had fun discussing with others. I have a perfect book in mind to start with.

Last edited:

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I read a lot so I'd love a book club or a Goodreads group to do read-alongs and discuss them together.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read a lot so I'd love a book club or a Goodreads group to do read-alongs and discuss them together.

Yes to a book club! Right now I do a lonely book club, where I try to find in-depth write-ups of books I am reading (like what TOR.com does) and I will read a chapter, then read the write up of that chapter after I have finished it. I do this because I don't know anyone else in meat space who likes to read sci-fi/fantasy/non-fiction books.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yes to a book club! Right now I do a lonely book club, where I try to find in-depth write-ups of books I am reading (like what TOR.com does) and I will read a chapter, then read the write up of that chapter after I have finished it. I do this because I don't know anyone else in meat space who likes to read sci-fi/fantasy/non-fiction books.

I'm going to check my Evernote stash later today. I'm fairly certain I kept copies of both the book club threads and the 50/50 stuff as well.

I'll give it a day or so to judge interest then we can vote on a starting book. I like the idea of expanding to various genres, because if not I read too much science fiction.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to check my Evernote stash later today. I'm fairly certain I kept copies of both the book club threads and the 50/50 stuff as well.

I'll give it a day or so to judge interest then we can vote on a starting book. I like the idea of expanding to various genres, because if not I read too much science fiction.

A book club would be nice. You may want to inquire in the other book thread which is more active.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently finished Dan Simmons' "Hyperion" and "Endymion" books. Great stuff, especially Hyperion as I'm not the biggest fan of the protagonist in the sequel, but the sci-fi concepts and overall storytelling was excellent.

At the moment I'm reading "Trigger Warning", a short story collection by Neil Gaiman, who is always delightful as well as "Falling Leaves - The True Story of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter" by Adeline Yen Mah. It's not written particlarly well, but it's interesting.

"The Girl on the Train" will be after that.

My favorite book is "Ender's Game" and the sequels, also most of the spin offs.
I'd also urge everybody who likes good writing to check out Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" which was so beautifully written and so, so sad.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently reading the Neuromancer Trilogy.

I finished Neuromancer earlier this year, and I fell in love with it.

Currently on Count Zero.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside Perth Scotland
The David Icke guide to the global conspiracy. Bought this cheap for my Kindle because all I know about Icke is he thinks the Royal family are 12ft shapeshifting lizards; So I thought it'd be interesting to see what other things he believes. It's a strange book. On one page he'll talk about multi nationals deliberately destabilising 3rd world countries in order to take their resources. On the next page he'll claim the Clintons are interdimensional, pedo satanists. The problem is there's no middle ground between what seem like fairly sensible opinions and his tuned to the moon rants. I think he's carved out a pretty decent career on acting like a mad homeless, so I suspect that he just tosses in the extreme stuff to keep his fans happy

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently started reading Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari. Next on my list will be The Power by Naomi Alderman, since NPR gave a good review for that.

EVOL

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know any contemporary English poets?

I've been going through a lot of early 20th century poetry, but it's pretty hard to find information on more recent poets.

timvasion

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I'm currently reading The Dark Tower IV; Wizard and Glass by Stephen King. Got about a chapter or two left before I move on to the next book.

On top of that I just started reading the manga One Piece. I've always been curious about manga but didn't know where to jump in. Reading them on a Kindle is also nice since they take up a lot of shelf space.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently reading The Dark Tower IV; Wizard and Glass by Stephen King. Got about a chapter or two left before I move on to the next book.

Easily the best one. I wish I could forget the story and read it with fresh eyes again.
---

51VkZtP1lmL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Picked it up about a week ago. No more than 200 pages in. First Murakami novel as well.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've nearly finished Into The Water, and I've quite enjoyed it, more so than Girl on the Train.

Can't believe Stephen King already has another new book out next month, how does one person write so fast?

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the posts above for some book recommendations. I just finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky and loved how each chapter encompassed a new time period and had its own strong arc.

Anyhow, I wanted more intriguing sci fi with an imaginative story if anyone has any recommendations!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Aw shoot a book OT! Gah give me a couple of hours can't remember the exact name of the book I'm reading. But I'm reading a big old text about Ancient Rome that tries to methodically go through and separate fact from fiction about what it was really like and what stories are myths and real. Really dope book only a hundred pages in and I feel like I've really grown my understanding of Rome.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Snow Crash for the first time, really liked it. I really want to know if the makers of Hollow Knight were influenced by it, a lot of the lore of that game reminds me of the metavirus of Snow Crash.

I had to keep reminding myself this book was 26 years old, it's description of tech seems so on point. I didn't know it was what popularised the term 'avatar' for online/in game personas.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Do audiobooks count in the context of this thread? I've been listening to Salem's Lot all day. 9 hrs 43 minutes of it left.

suikoder

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow this is a wasteland

Anyway, I was rereading The Wheel of Time, and I thought that Mat must be one of the best comic relief characters, I already can't remember when was the last time any made me laugh out laud while reading, Mat did.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there's uh...not much going on in here. Was wondering if anyone knew if the Mortal Engines series is a decent read for adults?

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
You'll probably have more luck in the monthly what are you reading threads. In fact there's been some mention of the books recently. https://www.resetera.com/threads/bo...ding-late-october-november-2018.76004/page-12

For my part I read the first book ages ago and never quite got round to reading the rest. I remember it being decent but if memory serves it has all the trappings of a Young Adult book so if that stuff turns you off it may not be for you.