• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
2JiicFS.jpg
I've had more books stolen at the beach than anywhere else.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I aint gonna lie, "smells good" connected with me. I will often take a good long whiff out of them, used or new.

100% serious.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
this one is so damned stupid lmao. it's cherry picking AN innovation. i mean, you could just as well do this in reverse, show some triviality and compare it to a scientific advancement in recent years. or even do the comparison, but replace innovation with discovery. like i know, i'm preaching to the choir, but come now.
Plus it was them that slashed NASA's budget.

Jun 26, 2018
this one is so damned stupid lmao. it's cherry picking AN innovation. i mean, you could just as well do this in reverse, show some triviality and compare it to a scientific advancement in recent years. or even do the comparison, but replace innovation with discovery. like i know, i'm preaching to the choir, but come now.

Just replace the text on frame 2 with "My phone now contains more computing power than what they used for the apollo moon missions". There should be a twitter account that "fix" shitty boomer comics.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I know this one's probably a bit dated, based on the references (and it's apparently translated from the original language), but... just visually this one is a real mess. a.) Artist had an easy day, avoiding drawing any faces, b.) since when do "the kids" wear white lab coats, shorts and black kneesocks?, c.) I have no idea what's on that table; seriously, can anyone make sense of what's drawn here?; d.) tried to draw the rear leg on that chair black so as to make it appear in shadow, but messed up and drew over the front leg, said "screw it" and send to the publisher as is.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

It's not even a trivial innovation in the first place. The AI involved for faceapp is pretty damn cool, regardless of the questionable way the app handles your data.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Basically. It really feels like that. I just...

I also like how there's the "Epi Pen" bit being used as a mean to demean modern parents, because that's legit a life saving measure. Holy crap.

My grandfather had Diabetes, and I'm FAIRLY certain (he's since passed), given he'd been from that generation, would absolutely agree with is a good thing.

I'm so confused and the more I look at it, the worse it gets.
A lot of it stems from a lack of awareness of these problems from their experience growing up.

My girlfriend nannies for a couple, the dad is in his mid-40s and the mom in her mid-30s and their younger son has severe allergies to just about everything. The dad doesn't take it nearly as seriously and I believe has even said something like "well we never had this when I was a kid."

It's like, yes you did. Maybe not you, but definitely some of your peers. You were just ignorant to it because the culture has changed. Maybe it was undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed. Maybe the technology wasn't where it needed to be for doctors to deal with it as effectively. There are new discoveries, breakthroughs and advancements in the field of medicine all the time, and 99% of them are going to completely fly under your radar because they primarily benefit someone else.

It's like how the autism spectrum has widened, or how people with dyslexia used to just be treated as stupid or slow (and sometimes still are).

There's also the lack of awareness as to who's actually prescribing the medication. Usually it's a boomer! But yeah, it's us damn kids and our EpiPens.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Mp3 players eh... Even the references are old
To be fair I still carry around my 10+ year old ipod, but I'm also in my thirties.

I know this one's probably a bit dated, based on the references (and it's apparently translated from the original language), but... just visually this one is a real mess. a.) Artist had an easy day, avoiding drawing any faces, b.) since when do "the kids" wear white lab coats, shorts and black kneesocks?, c.) I have no idea what's on that table; seriously, can anyone make sense of what's drawn here?; d.) tried to draw the rear leg on that chair black so as to make it appear in shadow, but messed up and drew over the front leg, said "screw it" and send to the publisher as is.

Clearly Doogie Howser has come home from a long day of..... buying milk cartons at the store, and is now unloading both the groceries and his thoughts on technology.

Edit: Making a Doogie Hoswer reference in a thread about lame boomer humor... oh god, it's happening. The Boomening.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
What always cracks me up about this stuff is its not like it isn't boomers that essentially took over Facebook, spamming it nonstop and daily with meme's like this and mostly right wing fake news, from Breitbart and its ilk, which led to the current political climate and president, while they also post this kind of stuff bemoaning "loss of values" and going on how "back in my day kids played outside, instead of being addicted to phone/tablet, didn't wear pants around ankles, had respect because our parents were allowed to BEAT us", etc ,, while they personally keep Facebook, Farmville (or any of its million spin offs) and Candy Crush in business.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder when the boomers will stop representing millenials in their comics as teenagers. Like... millenials are in their 20s by now. We haven't been teenagers for awhile.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've written my own Boomer comic formula

Kid: [says something dumb in text speech]
Boomer: *looks at camera with 'can you believe this shit' face* [says equivalent in their time]
Editor: *removes casual racism from comic that naturally comes when a Boomer writes one*

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Since boomers are in their 70's now, i'm wondering how many of these comics are written by X'ers. They're like, what, 50 now?

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when the boomers will stop representing millenials in their comics as teenagers. Like... millenials are in their 20s by now. We haven't been teenagers for awhile.
I'd also like them to stop trying to pass themselves off as the "greatest generation" when that is their parents, not them. Talk about riding some coattails. It only reinforces them being the most selfish, hypocritical generation. These people were draft-dodging hippies who drank the corporate kool-aid and then proceeded to use the privilege they inherited to shit on everyone else.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd also like them to stop trying to pass themselves off as the "greatest generation" when that is their parents, not them. Talk about riding some coattails. It only reinforces them being the most selfish, hypocritical generation. These people were draft-dodging hippies who drank the corporate kool-aid and then proceeded to use the privilege they inherited to shit on everyone else.
"No war, man, peace and love"

*votes in Reagan, both Bushes and Trump*

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yep and they dismantled all the social polices the greatest generation fought for.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rzY0lG1.jpg

So much for hardwork is it's own reward. Trophies are all that matter.

Greatest Generation: Trophies don't matter, hard work is its own reward

Baby Boomers: Trophies are a display of my worth - the more common they are, the less important I am

Gen X: Fuck your stupid trophies, I'm not playing this game

Millennials: What's the harm in handing out trophies if the game was for a good cause?

Oct 27, 2017

I dislike boomers more than the next guy, but these 2 are correct. In relation to the first comic, today's society (ironically under the leadership of boomers and older gen x first and foremost) invests more heavily in convenience and N+1 technologies rather than basic scientific research and big-leap R&D than any other time in recent history.

Oct 27, 2017

Baby Boomers: Trophies are a display of my worth - the more common they are, the less important I am

Millennials: What's the harm in handing out trophies if the game was for a good cause?

In this context, Greatest Generation has the best mindset. Imagine where'd we be if the people leading had their mindset in mitigating global warming?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I dislike boomers more than the next guy, but these 2 are correct. Today's society (ironically under the leadership of boomers and older gen x first and foremost) invests more heavily in convenience and N+1 technologies rather than basic scientific research and big-leap R&D than any other time in recent history.
The books one is whatever, but the FaceApp one is dumb.

If you're concerned about R&D funding, get mad at the boomers who keep voting in politicians who keep gutting it, not the millennials who enjoy new technology.

Don't act like every invention or innovation in the 1960s was strictly for the progress of science, either. Technology has always existed in large part to make life easier and fun for people. We were just fine with our Game Boys in the 80s, doesn't mean we can't have smartphones in the 2010s.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I dislike boomers more than the next guy, but these 2 are correct. Today's society (ironically under the leadership of boomers and older gen x first and foremost) invests more heavily in convenience and N+1 technologies rather than basic scientific research and big-leap R&D than any other time in recent history.

Sure, but that phone, invented in "today's society" contains more computing power than the entirety of the moon missions.

Oct 27, 2017
The books one is whatever, but the FaceApp one is dumb.

If you're concerned about R&D funding, get mad at the boomers who keep voting in politicians who keep gutting it, not the millennials who enjoy new technology.

Don't act like every invention or innovation in the 1960s was strictly for the progress of science, either. Technology has always existed in large part to make life easier and fun for people. We were just fine with our Game Boys in the 80s, doesn't mean we can't have smartphones in the 2010s.

You didn't read the second half of what I wrote. I said that ironically the convenience and n+1 orientation of technological innovation has everything to do with boomers (and older gen x) being in charge.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but that phone, invented in "today's society" contains more computing power than the entirety of the moon missions.
I don't know that the comic is harping on the smart phone, but rather the focus on the effort being applied in terms of the apps being created for it.

Plus the tech in the smart phone is built on the shoulders of giants; nearly everything in that phone can be traced back to technological innovations from Bell Labs in NJ in the early to mid part of the 20th century.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't know that the comic is harping on the smart phone, but rather the focus on the effort being applied in terms of the apps being created for it.

Plus the tech in the smart phone is built on the shoulders of giants; nearly everything in that phone can be traced back to technological innovations from Bell Labs in NJ in the early to mid part of the 20th century.
But you could easily make the same argument about the moon picture as the new generation one by also showing the average person at the time.

We now have scientists who are editing genes to solve genetic issues, sending robots to live on Mars doing scientific research that is beamed back to us, creating vehicles that will be able to drive themselves and revolutionise the worlds transport industry plus tonnes of other stuff.

Its a shitty argument made by someone ignoring the vast amount of progress that has happened since and will continue to happen.

Oct 27, 2017
But you could easily make the same argument about the moon picture as the new generation one by also showing the average person at the time.

We now have scientists who are editing genes to solve genetic issues, sending robots to live on Mars doing scientific research that is beamed back to us, creating vehicles that will be able to drive themselves and revolutionise the worlds transport industry plus tonnes of other stuff.

Its a shitty argument made by someone ignoring the vast amount of progress that has happened since and will continue to happen.

I agree that important stuff is still happening, but there has been a major shift away from collective/societal problem solving with governments and (pseudo) public institutions trying to solve really big imminent problems that affect everyone. The fact that we are not fast tracking certain energy production and storage technologies is mind-numbingly short-sighted and stupid at this point.

Anyone who has insight into global warming knows that vast quantities of money and resources are not being allocated (via public sector investment/involvement) to fast tracking advanced nuclear and battery solutions. These are the only real solutions that can effectively mitigate the issues brought on by global warming.

The whole economy which currently subsists on fossil-fuel based energy needs to be transformed and fast. Instead, we continue to chug along focusing private sector effort on n+1 and convenience technologies.

Making money shouldn't be the point when vast quantities of people (and all other life) are going to die, be displaced, and/or suffer from here on out. That's why collective focus on solving imminent issues via government/public institutions (working in tandem with the private sector) is so paramount at this point in history. And it's exactly that it's not happening that it is such a disappointment/disgrace.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree that important stuff is still happening, but there has been a major shift away from collective/societal problem solving with governments and (pseudo) public institutions trying to solve really big imminent problems that affect everyone. The fact that we are not fast tracking certain energy production and storage technologies is mind-numbingly short-sighted and stupid at this point.

Anyone who has insight into global warming knows that vast quantities of money and resources are not being allocated (via public sector investment/involvement) to fast tracking advanced nuclear and battery solutions. These are the only real solutions that can effectively mitigate the issues brought on by global warming.

The whole economy which currently subsists on fossil-fuel based energy needs to be transformed and fast. Instead, we continue to chug along focusing private sector effort on n+1 and convenience technologies.
I mean I agree with you about all of your comments on climate change, renewable energy etc but the comic isn't saying any of that.

All it is doing is holding up an historical achievement and belittling modern achievements by ignoring everything that is taking place. You could literally do the same thing but reversed with something like barcodes vs robot missions to Mars.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Gamers: I just wasted 100 hours performing 10,000 menial tasks for this trophy

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I dislike boomers more than the next guy, but these 2 are correct. In relation to the first comic, today's society (ironically under the leadership of boomers and older gen x first and foremost) invests more heavily in convenience and N+1 technologies rather than basic scientific research and big-leap R&D than any other time in recent history.

No they arent. We landed on the moon in 1969. The oldest boomers would have been 23, and in no position to fund or research anything. The only contribution they made to that accomplishment is MAYBE watching it on tv. It was the Greatest Generation and Silent Generation responsible for that.

In 2019? The research budgets that fund things like NASA and other scientific research have been slashed to hell by boomers, who overwhelmingly make up members of congress as well as most of those voting over the past 20 years.

Its the height of hypocrisy to take credit for the accomplishments of the prior generations while blaming the one following for "lack of innovation" due to the actions of boomers.

Its not an accurate criticism of "today's society" at all, especially when you consider that a minority of conservatives have managed to dictate things like slashing Nasa budgets when popular opinion supports funding them.

Last edited:

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That coat is an argentine school uniform, the thing over the table is an open backpack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I agree with you about all of your comments on climate change, renewable energy etc but the comic isn't saying any of that.

All it is doing is holding up an historical achievement and belittling modern achievements by ignoring everything that is taking place. You could literally do the same thing but reversed with something like barcodes vs robot missions to Mars.
A little context about space exploration at the time: it was considered nigh impossible to achieve something like a moon landing. It was such a reach that it'd require a public-private collective effort (much like many infrastructure efforts at the time). There has been nothing but a chipping away of that sort of relationship between public and private sector in the past 40 years. I can see the criticism from the lens of a reluctance (or societal risk aversion) of taking on big problems head on and instead focusing much of effort on convenience and comfort. Again, this has much to do with baby boomers themselves, as they are kings of hedonism and risk aversion but project otherwise.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You didn't read the second half of what I wrote. I said that ironically the convenience and n+1 orientation of technological innovation has everything to do with boomers (and older gen x) being in charge.
I know you acknowledged it, but somehow I doubt the author of that comic would. So I can't abide by "well they have a point."

Oct 27, 2017
I know you acknowledged it, but somehow I doubt the author of that comic would. So I can't abide by "well they have a point."
Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make: that something true is being pointed out but not for the reason they stated. Again, boomers are masters of projection. This is a perfect instance of that. If the comic was pointing out how boomers have f'd up the orientation/focus of technological innovation (via mass divestment of publicly-funded basic scientific research and the destruction of public-private partnerships), it would have been 100% accurate.