• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The Gen Z'ers, I know, read more books than any Millenial or Boomer I've ever met (including me, as a millenial).

Isn't the young adult novel business booming?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Y1Qbvtn.gif
It's almost as if our military operations are slightly more morally questionable than they were back when we were fighting nazis that were crushing Europe under their heels.

Alternatively: Ah, the good old days, when 10% of our population was actively enlisted in the deadliest meatgrinder of a war ever seen on earth. Kids these days are spoiled by living in a relatively peaceful time instead of burning civilians to death en masse and dying by the hundreds of thousands.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, not all these images are new. Some are from the 90s, some from the 80s, and the Pokemon Go ones were from the brief craze.

Example of what I mean:

FvUAJiD.jpg
^This one made me chuckle. It seem like something that would actually happen if it already hasn't. I've accidentally trespassed into a private factory area that had clear signage not to trespass and then had security guards come to kick me out.... all because I was trying to catch a Magikarp.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
As terrible as most of these comics are, the Pokemon Go craze was annoying as fuck. Anytime I'd go anywhere nice with someone they'd be more focused on what stupid fucking pokemon they could find instead of being in the moment.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
As terrible as most of these comics are, the Pokemon Go craze was annoying as fuck. Anytime I'd go anywhere nice with someone they'd be more focused on what stupid fucking pokemon they could find instead of being in the moment.
Opposite for me. I thought it was great. I'd meet up with friends I hadn't seen in ages locally, and we'd catch 'em together. Everyone out playing was so friendly and nice! We met a lot of temporary friends that way. Just teaming up with people to run around catching 'em. It was great. :)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
As if more proof was needed that (with some exceptions) newspaper comics are generally the lowest form of humor.

Especially political ones.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I find the appeal to "we read books, dumb kids are glued to their cellphones" especially hilarious because there have been several instances where I've met a supposedly well-read boomer, been to their house and seen their bookshelf filled with trashy Ann Coulter books.

But hey, they're books! As if the medium somehow makes the content smarter.

It's especially hilarious when you see that demographically, boomers and gen-xers are the ones that overwhelmingly killed the big box stores with online shopping.

Who do they think invented Amazon

416x416.jpg

Pictured: a 55-year-old millennial

Maybe don't give your 3 year olds a phone?
My girlfriend nannies for a wealthy family (wife is in her late 30s, husband in late 40s) and all they do is shove tablets in their kids' faces. Like we didn't just come out of the womb thinking "durr i want an expensive phone" but I understand that any older generation complaining about any younger generation isn't really in good faith.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This should be in the 'cringe thread, these comics are made people with no joy in their life or they're 90 years old.

But yeah, newspaper comics are the absolute worst.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Kids today with their got dang technologies. Why ain't they conversin' like we used to?

11-Crowd-of-unemployed-men-reading-newspapers-standing-on-the-sidewalk-in-front-of-the-Chicago-Daily-News-building-boy-in-the-foreground.jpg

New-York-Times-2.jpg

35mm-10292-030d.jpg

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Boomers are easily the worst generation.
"We destroyed the economy, the world, never got past being racist BUT LET'S COMPLAIN ABOUT CELLPHONES!!!!!!"

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The "millennials don't know how to use books" ones are the most galling for me, coming from the generation(s) that support a multi-billion dollar customer service industry and workforce because they can't be bothered to actually learn how to use a fucking printer.
Kids today with their got dang technologies. Why ain't they conversin' like we used to?

11-Crowd-of-unemployed-men-reading-newspapers-standing-on-the-sidewalk-in-front-of-the-Chicago-Daily-News-building-boy-in-the-foreground.jpg

New-York-Times-2.jpg

35mm-10292-030d.jpg

luigidead.gif

Last edited:

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
My dad used to be so pissed when I would stare at my PC and play games. Fast forward 10 years, now he owns a smartphone and a laptop and can't get off it.

Nowadays, sometimes I'll get pissed at him for staring at his cellphone instead of interacting with family.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I feel like you kinda have to cut newspaper cartoonists a little bit of slack here. They're forced to come up with a drawing and a new timely joke for every single day of the week -- of course some of them are going to be stupid and dated and silly hot takes. If someone went back a decade and looked at what you were posting on MySpace/LiveJournal/NeoGAF it would probably be pretty stupid too.

But that would be going back to what you posted when you were younger. How is that the same?

Nevermind the fact that some of these are over-the-top stupid. A kid asking how many GBs of RAM are in a balloon? How the hell does someone even come up with that? Lmao.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
This one's kind of true though
This one is actually pretty good. Our phones basically own us.
this isn't funny but it is correct.

No, it's not true, and it's not good. It's a really bad comic that only works at first glance.

Let's go through the statements:

1. All things on the "In you mind" side: True. These are purposes of a cell phone, which are fulfilled

2. "Charge me":
This is some bullshit right there. That's like claiming people are slaves to their cars because they need to put fuel in them, or like saying that I'm a slave to books because they yell "TURN MY PAGES" at me. It's hardly something that puts the machine in any sort of "master" position.

3. "Gimme some wifi! Now!"
What? I use wifi to save data at home or at work. Sometimes it doesn't work properly at work, and then... I don't use it. More importantly, I've also never heard of a phone telling anyone it wants wifi. Framing it like a phone is ordering you to give it wifi is like showing a PC that demands "more RAM", or a car that yells "WASH ME". It's not something that's required most of the time, and it shows how much the author was struggling to find things the phone makes people do.

4. "New Email! READ!" and 5. "Answer this call"
These are the best. I love them.
OH NO! The phone forces me to read a new e-mail. In reality, people put their email-account on their phone because they want to receive emails on there. You carry a phone, or at least that was the original purpose for me, because you want to be contacted and contact people, via calls and text messages.
Might as well show an old landline phone that screeches "A CALL! ANSWER!". These statements literally belongs to the upper image, as the phone is a servant, bringing you your mail because you want it, and letting other people call you because you want it.
Again a nice display of how thoughtless the whole comic is. I mean, many people don't even read their emails the moment they get it, and a lot of people don't even pick up calls from numbers they don't know. How's that for being a slave to your phone.

6. "A restaurant! Check in!"
This one simply baffles me a bit. I mean... I've been asked if I want to check in by my phone before. I always ignored it. Have you guys ever felt pressure to do this because the phone gave you the option? I didn't. Funnily, this is probably the most valid point the author makes, because the previous ones were so bad.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The irony of the dumb comics about books and libraries is my county voted, through a bunch of old farts, to cut funding for the library and I'm pretty ticked.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's not true, and it's not good. It's a really bad comic that only works at first glance.

Let's go through the statements:

1. All things on the "In you mind" side: True. These are purposes of a cell phone, which are fulfilled

2. "Charge me":
This is some bullshit right there. That's like claiming people are slaves to their cars because they need to put fuel in them, or like saying that I'm a slave to books because they yell "TURN MY PAGES" at me. It's hardly something that puts the machine in any sort of "master" position.

3. "Gimme some wifi! Now!"
What? I use wifi to save data at home or at work. Sometimes it doesn't work properly at work, and then... I don't use it. More importantly, I've also never heard of a phone telling anyone it wants wifi. Framing it like a phone is ordering you to give it wifi is like showing a PC that demands "more RAM", or a car that yells "WASH ME". It's not something that's required most of the time, and it shows how much the author was struggling to find things the phone makes people do.

4. "New Email! READ!" and 5. "Answer this call"
These are the best. I love them.
OH NO! The phone forces me to read a new e-mail. In reality, people put their email-account on their phone because they want to receive emails on there. You carry a phone, or at least that was the original purpose for me, because you want to be contacted and contact people, via calls and text messages.
Might as well show an old landline phone that screeches "A CALL! ANSWER!". These statements literally belongs to the upper image, as the phone is a servant, bringing you your mail because you want it, and letting other people call you because you want it.
Again a nice display of how thoughtless the whole comic is. I mean, many people don't even read their emails the moment they get it, and a lot of people don't even pick up calls from numbers they don't know. How's that for being a slave to your phone.

6. "A restaurant! Check in!"
This one simply baffles me a bit. I mean... I've been asked if I want to check in by my phone before. I always ignored it. Have you guys ever felt pressure to do this because the phone gave you the option? I didn't. Funnily, this is probably the most valid point the author makes, because the previous ones were so bad.
It's really about how the devices (and social media) have made us obsessive so that we're constantly minding the tech.

The phone (or whatever) isn't literally demanding, it's our priorities that have changed.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It's really about how the devices (and social media) have made us obsessive so that we're constantly minding the tech.

The phone (or whatever) isn't literally demanding, it's our priorities that have changed.
But have they? Stuff like "charging" and "connecting to wifi" are not priorities, they are minor things that I reckon take up a minuscule amount of time in most people's lives still. It's just part of owning the device, just like refueling a car or tying your shoes.
Maybe there be a point made about people being available for calls and emails all the time, but the comic does this very badly.
You're correct, our priorities have changed. We want to be able to have calls and emails instantly, and not when we check a mailbox or are in the vicinity of a landline. But the comic is portraying it like this is something we didn't choose.
In reality, it's the phone going "A call!" and "A new email!", and the human going "Cool." and then answering it or read it if they feel like it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But have they? Stuff like "charging" and "connecting to wifi" are not priorities, they are minor things that I reckon take up a minuscule amount of time in most people's lives still. It's just part of owning the device, just like refueling a car or tying your shoes.
Maybe there be a point made about people being available for calls and emails all the time, but the comic does this very badly.
You're correct, our priorities have changed. We want to be able to have calls and emails instantly, and not when we check a mailbox or are in the vicinity of a landline. But the comic is portraying it like this is something we didn't choose.
In reality, it's the phone going "A call!" and "A new email!", and the human going "Cool." and then answering it or read it if they feel like it.
I mean, i said it wasn't funny.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Which one of these did you make lol
The pokemans under the bed one. /s
You might have a point in some other context, but I don't think this applies here. The comics are clearly much closer to complaining about millennials since they're so far removed from reality that it's hard to even say they're just having a bit of fun, and the posters here (most millennials, I guess) are making fun of the comics for being stupid.
Okay yeah, I can see that.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Early boomers got drafted to Vietnam and got spat on when they came back. Just FYI.
Not in this country they didn't, and they're still always talking about how kids these days need toughening up, etc. Polls have shown them overwhelmingly in favour of bringing back compulsory military service, which ended in 1960 - so of course most of them didn't have to do it.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Generation Xers feel about their generation basically not even existing in people's mind now.

Nov 17, 2017
These are so funny but in a sad way. Is the first one supposed to be saying kids today should be throwing themselves into war to get killed? Does the artist think that there aren't young generations enlisted in the army now? Do they think that people in the army don't play video games?

"Look at our dumb kids staring at screens we bought for them", says the mom staring at a big screen with her husband.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
^This one made me chuckle. It seem like something that would actually happen if it already hasn't. I've accidentally trespassed into a private factory area that had clear signage not to trespass and then had security guards come to kick me out.... all because I was trying to catch a Magikarp.
https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/health/pokemon-go-players-fall-down-cliff/index.html
Two men in their early 20s fell an estimated 50 to 90 feet down a cliff in Encinitas, California, on Wednesday afternoon while playing "Pokémon Go," San Diego County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Rich Eaton said. The men sustained injuries, although the extent is not clear.