• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
These prove you right.
stg012119dAPR20190121124509.jpg
The colors here just make me think Luigi is depressed that he can't catcall women anymore.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Boomers love extolling the virtues of wars they never fought in.
In case anyone forgets the sheer hypocrisy of the boomers:

rH97KkA.jpg

OSut6mi.jpg

That was gen z, not millennials (tidepods)
Every generation has had their stupid "challenges". I remember the "choking game", for one, people have been jumping off bridges for dares forever, and then there were teens with cars in the '50s and '60s playing deadly games of chicken.

Challenges these days just get memed into the stratosphere.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many of them comparing playing a videogame with being in a war?

Like do they want there to be some terrible war that people have to fight in?

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how Generation Xers feel about their generation basically not even existing in people's mind now.

Honestly? Its fucking great to be off the hook. Xers were treated as shithole useless slackers that would never amount to anything in the 90s. Now they leave us alone. I love it.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I always have the sneaking suspicion that cartoonists and writers that complain that the current generation doesn't enlist and that makes them weaker haven't actually served in any wars themselves?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Why do I always have the sneaking suspicion that cartoonists and writers that complain that the current generation doesn't enlist and that makes them weaker haven't actually served in any wars themselves?
It's because they haven't but like to pretend they have and steal glory from the generation before them that actually made the world a better place unlike these selfish bums.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of unrelated... but I had a real life boomer comic moment. I was in line waiting to pick up my daughter from school, and this guy in his 60's or so was talking to some other parents. I'm on my phone, not really paying attention... then suddenly he turns to me and goes "This is what's wrong with your generation! You're always on your phone!"

So yeah, I'm what's wrong with the entirety of all 30 something parents and it's because I didn't feel like discussing the weather with an old person.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait till I'm an old man and I can complain about these damn youngsters hoarding holo-crystals in the gruel factories.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
As if more proof was needed that (with some exceptions) newspaper comics are generally the lowest form of humor.

Especially political ones.

If you take Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, and maybe a dozen others out of the equation, would newspaper comics have any validity as an art medium?

I'd say no.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna be like my neighbor when im old. He's 70, has an oculus rift, and makes a bunch of funny sex jokes. He even knows about shaggy memes. Please life, don't make me boring when I'm that age.

Although, he never had kids so maybe that has something to do with it.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any obvious examples but my favorites are the ones drawn by the actual "kids" to criticize their own generation. The ones that criticize how "soft" and dumb his peers are in comparison to previous generations.

Dec 2, 2017
Some vintage boomer-complaining about videogames from the early 1980s, around the Pac-Man craze:

Y5DNcHy.jpg

This is back when parents were super scared about the evil Pac-Man machines that were turning their daughters into degenerates that hung out at arcades with shady boys.
That marriage one turned out to be real though, except with Sonic the Hedgehog and DS anime dating sims.

Oct 27, 2017
These belong in the cringe thread on Era. Holy shit how many gb of ram doesn't the balloon have, Pokémon go characters, old people writing about stuff they don't have a clue about

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any of the boomer veterans I worked with ever saw combat. At least the couple that actually talk about being veterans. One joined the national gaurd during Vietnam, and another was only there prior to war breaking out. They both have some great stories, but they're all about funny ways they goofed off.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Also on the war stuff... A military made up almost entirely of Gen X and Millenial volunteers has been fighting in the longest combat engagement in U.S. history. A war followed by a 2nd simultaeneous war started soon after. And this constant state of war falls on the shoulders of draft dodging Boomers.

Oct 25, 2017
If you take Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, and maybe a dozen others out of the equation, would newspaper comics have any validity as an art medium?

I'd say no.

Doonesbury, Krazy Kat, Flash Gordon, The Boondocks, Pogo, Dick Tracy, Bloom County, Thimble Theater/Popeye, Foxtrot, Little Nemo, Lio, Pearls Before Swine, The Spirit, For Better or For Worse, Little Orphan Annie, and those are just the ones I've heard of and/or read.

Oct 27, 2017
DofmNNkbtFcfHwPNdjaAneTXWd3qyqsrISdiYtLWJCY.jpg

Help, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of awfulness!
Even though the comic itself is shit, the message is absolutely true. These things have been designed to keep you addicted and dependent on them. That's why the execs of these big tech companies don't allow their kids to use it until they are much older and many times are stringent about limiting their own use, as well.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'd say no.
If we go by the "90% of all stuff is crap"rule, this line of thinking would invalidate any other "art medium" as well if you took out all the good bits and left in the fluff.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the boomer generation typically seen as the one which really culturally solidified the notion of a distinct teenage/youth culture which they now love to claim represents the absolute degradation of society?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The funniest thing is I experience older people (45+) using their phones in socially inappropriate situations way more than younger people.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the boomer generation typically seen as the one which really culturally solidified the notion of a distinct teenage/youth culture which they now love to claim represents the absolute degradation of society?
Yes, because they were the most prosperous middle class in history which gave them the economic ability to sustain that now distinct phase between "childhood" and "adulthood".

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Every generation thinks the younger generation is lazy / entitled / has it easy / listens to bad music etc... nothing new here.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Even though the comic itself is shit, the message is absolutely true. These things have been designed to keep you addicted and dependent on them. That's why the execs of these big tech companies don't allow their kids to use it until they are much older and many times are stringent about limiting their own use, as well.
That's a bit much, don't you think?
How would they be designed differently while still doing the same job/functions?