• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone forgets the sheer hypocrisy of the boomers:

rH97KkA.jpg

OSut6mi.jpg
I mean the real hypocrisy here is that most Boomers were young teenagers in this era. The people pushing for civil rights and progressive changes in America during the 60s were largely our grandparents.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Why is the art so bad on all of these?

I can't figure out if this is an actual old thing or a parody. Like that's some top tier shitposting, the upside-down 'o maners, o tymes' really makes it.

It's real. Samuel Ward was a puritanical English minister in the 1600's who loved bitching about two things: Catholics and how much better things were in the oulden days (apparently the 1400's). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Ward_(minister)

But the best part is that the O Maners O Tymes bit is actually quoting Cicero, who said it in 55 BC, himself also bitching about how awful the "modern day" was. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_tempora_o_mores!

Last edited:

smug chocobo

Aug 30, 2018
I hate that dumb as shit, smug library comic so much. Pretty much every library has a subscription to services that let them loan out e-books and things so it doesn't even fucking make sense! I get that this was 2010 but what a douche!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Doonesbury, Krazy Kat, Flash Gordon, The Boondocks, Pogo, Dick Tracy, Bloom County, Thimble Theater/Popeye, Foxtrot, Little Nemo, Lio, Pearls Before Swine, The Spirit, For Better or For Worse, Little Orphan Annie, and those are just the ones I've heard of and/or read.
Most of these are very good comics.

But single panel political comics that you find in the commentary section are still where humor goes to die as far as I'm concerned.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have any obvious examples but my favorites are the ones drawn by the actual "kids" to criticize their own generation. The ones that criticize how "soft" and dumb his peers are in comparison to previous generations.

I love the "ugh, I was so born in the wrong generation" shit, especially when it comes to something utterly ridiculous like music taste. Go smell your own farts somewhere else you weirdo.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I mean the real hypocrisy here is that most Boomers were young teenagers in this era. The people pushing for civil rights and progressive changes in America during the 60s were largely our grandparents.

Yep, and it's disgusting how they took everything their parents accomplished, took everything of value for themselves and dumped the lump of shit that was left over to their kids and grand-kids, all with a smile on their face.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
wqumFzp.jpg

All I can think is, "Boy, she looks a lot happier with her life than he does."
I think that is likely, the point. That one may not be as shallow as it seems at first. It might be a commentary of how at old age, gaining knowledge is the only thing you can do - as the body has failed, and your friends died - and yet, all that knowledge kind of worthless, as you stay glum and miserable. A commentary on aging, and what it brings and takes away.

Wow, that one is really awesome. I didn't think it was actually made in 1906, but it seems like it was. It took a few generations of wireless technology, but that author's fears have definitely materialized, lol.

Last edited:

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

The people in those photos would've been early Boomers ('46-'50) and younger Silent Generation, since they were the ones most affected by the draft, plus a lot of the counter-culture movement grew out of the Beat era of the Silent Gen. The Boomers basically took most of the groundwork laid by the Silent Gen and ran with it.

But no generation is monolithic. There was a lot of backlash against the counter-culture and protest movements from the greater part of society, including Boomers themselves. It got Nixon elected and led to the formation of the Moral Majority and evangelical movements as well.

The reason the Boomers have this generational stereotype of radical, progressive youth protesting the system, is because the ones who got to tell their generation's story in print and entertainment during their ascendency in pop culture were the ones who were a part of it, or at least identified with it.

Now that the wheel has turned and they're no longer controlling those levers, the Rest of the Boomers who were overshadowed all that time have come to the fore.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder what I will irrationally hate in the future that will cause the younger generation's to laugh at my foolishness.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boomers waiting
No, it's not true, and it's not good. It's a really bad comic that only works at first glance.

Let's go through the statements:

1. All things on the "In you mind" side: True. These are purposes of a cell phone, which are fulfilled

2. "Charge me":
This is some bullshit right there. That's like claiming people are slaves to their cars because they need to put fuel in them, or like saying that I'm a slave to books because they yell "TURN MY PAGES" at me. It's hardly something that puts the machine in any sort of "master" position.

3. "Gimme some wifi! Now!"
What? I use wifi to save data at home or at work. Sometimes it doesn't work properly at work, and then... I don't use it. More importantly, I've also never heard of a phone telling anyone it wants wifi. Framing it like a phone is ordering you to give it wifi is like showing a PC that demands "more RAM", or a car that yells "WASH ME". It's not something that's required most of the time, and it shows how much the author was struggling to find things the phone makes people do.

4. "New Email! READ!" and 5. "Answer this call"
These are the best. I love them.
OH NO! The phone forces me to read a new e-mail. In reality, people put their email-account on their phone because they want to receive emails on there. You carry a phone, or at least that was the original purpose for me, because you want to be contacted and contact people, via calls and text messages.
Might as well show an old landline phone that screeches "A CALL! ANSWER!". These statements literally belongs to the upper image, as the phone is a servant, bringing you your mail because you want it, and letting other people call you because you want it.
Again a nice display of how thoughtless the whole comic is. I mean, many people don't even read their emails the moment they get it, and a lot of people don't even pick up calls from numbers they don't know. How's that for being a slave to your phone.

6. "A restaurant! Check in!"
This one simply baffles me a bit. I mean... I've been asked if I want to check in by my phone before. I always ignored it. Have you guys ever felt pressure to do this because the phone gave you the option? I didn't. Funnily, this is probably the most valid point the author makes, because the previous ones were so bad.
how much time a day do you spend using your smartphone?

you seem pretty clueless. I see people all the time worrying and complaining about there being no wifi and their phones about to die. people are addicted to their phones and they check them constantly. they've even done studies and the urge to read a text message can be stronger than a crackhead about to get their next hit. there are lots of people who run through the motions and check in at places cause it's cool. people are addicted and a slave to their phones like a junkie is to oxy.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
how much time a day do you spend using your smartphone?
About 10 minutes per day in the past 2 weeks, hah. Oh no, you got me. But then again, I was on holiday...
I spend a bunch of time with it, usually. Are you going to call me addicted to my phone for reading the news on my phone instead of buying a paper, though?

You seem pretty clueless. I see people all the time worrying and complaining about there being no wifi and their phones about to die. people are addicted to their phones and they check them constantly. they've even done studies and the urge to read a text message can be stronger than a crackhead about to get their next hit. there are lots of people who run through the motions and check in at places cause it's cool. people are addicted and a slave to their phones like a junkie is to oxy.
Maybe I'm clueless, but yeah, never seen anyone worry about charge or wifi, the exception being in places where internet was 14€ per MB and there was no power outlet available.
Those studies seems pretty silly, but I'd appreciate a link. I do think it's perfectly normal though to want to read the contents of a message you receive. I'd assume the same for personal letters tbh.
And about checking in: Seems like a social media problem again, no?

Just saying that people are addicted to "phones" seems way too simplistic in my eyes.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm clueless, but yeah, never seen anyone worry about charge or wifi, the exception being in places where internet was 14€ per MB and there was no power outlet available.
Those studies seems pretty silly, but I'd appreciate a link.
There's a growing body of study on this, you can find some here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_overuse#cite_note-Davey,2014-2

There's some casual analysis of some of those studies here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/your-smartphone-is-making-you-stupid/article37511900/

To counter your anecdote about opening letter vs reading message, I really don't think that people used to, for example, read letters, books or newspapers while they are driving anywhere near as much as they text while driving today. This is now a problem so much that new laws had to be invented to try and curb it.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Notice how all the comparison are with the Greatest Generation? Should tell you something about how utterly useless and shitty the boomers are.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
There's a growing body of study on this, you can find some here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_overuse#cite_note-Davey,2014-2

There's some casual analysis of some of those studies here: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/your-smartphone-is-making-you-stupid/article37511900/

To counter your anecdote about opening letter vs reading message, I really don't think that people used to, for example, read letters, books or newspapers while they are driving anywhere near as much as they text while driving today. This is now a problem so much that new laws had to be invented to try and curb it.
Thanks for the links, it'S 2am and I'll sleep now, but I'll check it out.

It wasn't and anecdote, btw, just a little assumption. But either way, of course the dangers of checking your phone all the time are much more severe, not going to deny that obviously

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, a dozen others.
So then you don't know what you're talking about.

First of all, you're saying "if we take all the great artists out of the equation then is the art form any good?"

Like, what?

Can you name those dozen others? How do you know it's just a dozen if you can't? Maybe it's less. It's probably a lot more.

The newspaper strip was a staple of American culture for 50 years, wild with creativity and talent as it defined itself (and paved the way for comic books proper) before it stagnated into Hallmark schlock. But the gatekeepers decide who gets printed, there's a lot of fantastic modern "newspaper" strips that aren't printed in any newspaper. Like everything else, it's all online.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boomers are the worst and most hypocritical generation. So excuse me for not giving a single duck what they have to say. And I'm not even a millennial.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Just saying that people are addicted to "phones" seems way too simplistic in my eyes.

It absolutely is. It's incredibly simplistic and reductive im14andthisisdeep bullshit that's easy to latch on to, and calling someone else clueless over this is frankly hilarious.

There's a lot to talk about smartphones and what a huge paradigm shift they have been, and their negative and positive effects, but the comic strip is garbage.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Notice how all the comparison are with the Greatest Generation? Should tell you something about how utterly useless and shitty the boomers are.
they don't want a comic with boomers sitting on piles of wealth and denying opportunities for every subsequent generation. The hope for my kids is the boomers will all be dead by the time they enter the workforce.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it's just normal. Older generations are always defiant of new trends and technologies. That's just how humankind works.

By the way, regarding older people looking at smartphones, check this (it's in french, sorry, but the images talk by themselves) :

It's a movie from 1947 where they tried to imagine what would be the future of television. The first half is quite spot-on.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These comics are obviously bad. But some of you are taking them a little too literally lol. I'm sure the artists knew that kids know how to open a book, they're just caricatures stating that people don't really read these days.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think that is likely, the point. That one may not be as shallow as it seems at first. It might be a commentary of how at old age, gaining knowledge is the only thing you can do - as the body has failed, and your friends died - and yet, all that knowledge kind of worthless, as you stay glum and miserable. A commentary on aging, and what it brings and takes away.

Wow, that one is really awesome. I didn't think it was actually made in 1906, but it seems like it was. It took a few generations of wireless technology, but that author's fears have definitely materialized, lol.
I love the antenna hats.