• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As many know, nVidia had an "oopise" with 10-years worth of SoCs which suffered from an unpatchable, critical bootloader flaw that allowed arbitrary code to be run in recovery mode (RCM) at boot, forfeiting any security on the system. This flaw affected the entire Tegra line and its predecessors going back 10 years. (As many have failed to properly delineate, RCM is not the actual flaw. It is just a standard recovery mode for fixing broken Switches.)

This flaw was found in the Switch by fail0veflow and reported last year. This flaw led to a boom in homebrew progress and development, but of course this allowed for malware piracy groups to create and market piracy mod-chips to load payloads at boot in RCM and hjack the system. And roughly 18million switches are vulnerable to that flaw. (This has resulted in large ban waves for pirates, some bricked switches from stupid people bridging the wrong pins and frying their motherboards, to DRMed piracy dongles with stolen community code and brickcode in them... because why not? To all sorts of other nonsense and bullshit, such as hacking. And of course, a lot of emulator work and good old-fashioned homebrew.)

To the surprise of no one, Nintendo (and nVidia) have rolled out an updated hardware that is fixed from this arbitrary write-flaw through a system known as iPatches. These are fuses with specific bits of code that fix flaws in the boot processes and other hardware level operations. These cannot be applied after leaving the factory (as the fuse allowing them to be written or edited is blown).

unknown.png

What does this mean?

Well it means that the bootflaw is no longer a viable path and so now it becomes a question of software exploits in the kernel/system and updating once again starts to close exploits. (So if you bought that dongle, its useless if you run out of old Switches.) Now you have to face Nintendo's rather secure kernel but because these units were actually made some time ago they still (some) come with 4.0.1 which still has a software flaw, known at Deja Vu in the community (again, thanks to nVidia… because why stop at a hardware flaw when your entire GPU driver stack can be compromised). This flaw was largely patched as of 5.0.0 and is being held for the eventual Mariko Switch (which isn't out yet, and this change isn't said revision). It is unlikely that this flaw will be released until Mariko or until a firmware patch completely closes it as it is our only path currently known into reaching TrustZone and bypassing Nintendo's rather tight security.

This iPatch fix likely occurred many months ago but we're only now seeing it at retail. Because it ships with 4.0.1 and not 5.x, you can date the time of manufacture to very early this year, so Nintendo was on top of the flaw after its submission by f0f.

Long Story Short: If you want a homebrew-able Switch, buy one now and do not update to 5.x.

If you send in for repair, you'll get a replaced SoC.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty gross that it got so far. Hopefully this stops the rampant piracy that could've resulted.
What a screw up from Nvidia hoping for Switch to be the start of a 20 year partnership

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
10 years ago? Did they realise the mistake only some years ago?? Why not release the switch with the harware fixed?

Oct 25, 2017
10 years ago? Did they realise the mistake only some years ago?? Why not release the switch with the harware fixed?
The flaw itself wasn't fully explored until it came into a consumer product that had the most user benefit from it. Which is probably how it slipped out of sight from nVidia until recently.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty gross that it got so far. Hopefully this stops the rampant piracy that could've resulted.
What a screw up from Nvidia hoping for Switch to be the start of a 20 year partnership
The blame cannot fall 100% to Nvidia. Nintendo bought a vanilla Tegra with a 10 year old flaw. Blame the willing buyer.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Glad I bought my Switch early. All nice and hacked, and running backups of my SNES and GBA collection.

Edit:

It is 100% nVidia. Even a custom chip would have likely carried this flaw if based on Tegra.

EVERY piece of hardware and software on the market has some sort of vulnerability SOMEWHERE, and if people are dedicated enough, they'll find it. There is no such thing as an unbreachable system, and this flaw went unexploited for 10 years. NVIDIA didn't do anything wrong, any more than Intel did with the Spectre bug.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have an older model Switch, can this security flaw be fixed or are they pretty much all still exploitable?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Its all about piracy bc home brew isn't a thing.

(I'm not @'ing you specifically, just the first post of its ilk that I wanted to single out)

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm particularly interested in the fact that this quiet revision to the current hardware is not the rumored Mariko model. This discovery alone already makes it more convincing that Mariko could be a worthwhile upgrade.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is they will wait to announce any upgrade until PY 2019. They won't want to kill the sales momentum going into the holidays. If they would announce an upgrade they would have to drop the current hardware price.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Furukawa's influence is already making waves at Nintendo.

This should be better with preventing less online shenanigans as we go on for now.

TrainerLyra

Jun 21, 2018
I wish the modding scene the best of luck in getting through this hurdle. As somebody unfamiliar with how any of this works, how likely is it that that within a couple of years the Switch will be just as free as 3DS and Wii U are today?

Oct 28, 2017
So can I just use my flawed day one Switch for now, keep updating the OS, and then one day have it be my hacked Switch after a Switch 2/Pro/XL comes out?

Or do you need both the hardware flaw and a 4.x OS to have a device worth hacking?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously? Full homebrew, modding games, and piracy? Is online safe to use on these hacked Switches?
Yes. Homebrew. Game patches. Piracy is as easy as it was on 3DS (people can download games they don't own directly from Nintendo servers). Cheating.

However, Nintendo is banning people who play pirate games or use modded games. Using CFW only is safe for now.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, I do envision the switch as being the perfect homebrew handheld due to it's ability to play so many cutting edge titles in addition to the homebrew aspects and emulation aspects of so many prior gens. But then again the inevitable rampant piracy would be a pain in the ass for Nintendo so I understand their change.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Homebrew. Game patches. Piracy is as easy as it was on 3DS (people can download games they don't own directly from Nintendo servers). Cheating.

Nintendo is banning people who play pirate games though or use modded games. Using CFW only is safe for now.

Downloading from the CDN results in a blacklist eventually, so no. It's not like the 3DS.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Downloading from the CDN results in a blacklist eventually, so no. It's not like the 3DS.
I'm not referring to using your own cert so no risks :)
It may change on the future but for now it's like the 3DS. In the future anything can change.

(apart from the normal ban for using games you don't own of course)

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not referring to using your own cert so no risks :)

(apart from the normal ban for using games you don't own of course)

CDN downloading requires a cert, it doesn't matter who's it is. It gets blacklisted and eventually you run out of real certs to pass dauth.

Poking the CDN is stupid on this system.

TrainerLyra

Jun 21, 2018
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

fortnitediscord.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

It already is... The Switch has been fully hacked.

However, Nintendo is banning people who play pirate games or use modded games. Using CFW only is safe for now.

It's still early, but yes. People have even been able to get Dolphin emulator to work on it with low FPS but playable. Near 30 FPS for a lot of games.

Seriously? Full homebrew, modding games, and piracy?
1. Yes

Is online safe to use on these hacked Switches?
2. No

I see. Thank you all for the clarifications.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
CDN downloading requires a cert, it doesn't matter who's it is. It gets blacklisted and eventually you run out of real certs to bypass dauth.
For now all requests to the atum server are accepted. This is extremely poor design as both system modules/applets and eShop content share the Atum server.

Will it change on the future? Maybe. For now it's no diferrent than 3DS in the end.