• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From what ive read there is unreleased exploits to see if they work on the new Mariko units (Which this is not) so even these Switches & future Mariko ones may be vulnerable.
Nintendo have an uphill battle, maybe they should have got the updated Tegra X2 instead.

Software, doesn't work on 5.x.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
From what ive read there is unreleased exploits to see if they work on the new Mariko units (Which this is not) so even these Switches & future Mariko ones may be vulnerable.
Nintendo have an uphill battle, maybe they should have got the updated Tegra X2 instead.

Where are you reading that? Also X2 is just as vulnerable AFAIK, and T214 is unknown atm, but you don't put out firmware for hardware that isn't already being used internally. Just speculation, but an iteration might still be happening this year.

The X2 isn't vulnerable to the boot flaw, nor is the T214.

You're really starting to make this T214 start to sound like it could be coming soon, and while I did personally think my prediction was wrong, it is standing on historical precedence.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pr...ch-revision-released-ww-by-august-2018.39582/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you reading that? Also X2 is just as vulnerable AFAIK, and T214 is unknown atm, but you don't put out firmware for hardware that isn't already being used internally. Just speculation, but an iteration might still be happening this year.

The X2 isn't vulnerable to the boot flaw, nor is the T214.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Reddit & Twitter from the guys that are doing the hacking, ive been mighty tempted to hack my Switch cause Gamecube emulation teases, but ive already got a library of games so not worth the ban.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit & Twitter from the guys that are doing the hacking, ive been mighty tempted to hack my Switch cause Gamecube emulation teases, but ive already got a library of games so not worth the ban.
I misread what you were saying, I thought you were mentioning them currently working on Mariko. I'm in the same boat as you, I do think Nintendo will release their old games on the Switch for our money, I mean, that was the whole complaint with them doing it over and over and over, why stop now that we are demanding it?

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

To be clear that exploit needs 4.x which these units ship with but most don't not update. (Especially since the hardware flaw spoiled people.) Mariko will ship with at least 5.x and we don't actually know if the exploit works to give ACE just that some parts of it haven't been completely patched as of 5.0.

So the scene is going to be a mess in a few months between hacks and hackers stealing code, what switch is what, what firmware it's on (again), and what is or isn't banned (console or cert). It's already approaching mindfield levels due to the large bans and people trying to get new Switches and sell the old ones.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear that exploit needs 4.x which these units ship with but most don't not update. (Especially since the hardware flaw spoiled people.) Mariko will ship with at least 5.x and we don't actually know if the exploit works to give ACE just that some parts of it haven't been completely patched as of 5.0.

So the scene is going to be a mess in a few months between hacks and hackers stealing code, what switch is what, what firmware it's on (again), and what is or isn't banned (console or cert). It's already approaching mindfield levels due to the large bans and people trying to get new Switches and sell the old ones.

It's still too early in the Switch's life, I actually think the Emulation scene will surpass the hacking scene in just a couple years. Though I am mostly just hoping GPD Win 3 is a more powerful device than I'm expecting. With the unique library Switch is growing, I have no need to hack the device, I usually reserve that for whenever I buy their successor platform.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if old Switches will go for premium, don't really care for modding myself so could sell it later, tho probably updated to 5.x whatever is newest already.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand yes, the only way for the Switch to connect to Nintendo's servers is through the internet obviously and when they get your data they can see if you've been using Homebrew apps. Others who got banned were blantly cheating and using the DLC content in Spaltoon2 before it was officially released.
People are banned from connecting online using pirated games. They're able to track individual physical/digital copies of games which is why there's a rise of individual copies of games getting banned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if old Switches will go for premium, don't really care for modding myself so could sell it later, tho probably updated to 5.x whatever is newest already.

Unbanned ones, probably. Banned ones are already common because people are stupid.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Too late but definitely expected.

Most certainly not too late. This is actually faster than expected, leaving about 15-16 mil of compromised units of a small subset of them actually available for negative use which can now no longer be safely bought into as the months pass, curtailing the longterm market.

Of a system that's going to sell probably 70-90mil, if not more.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Most certainly not too late. This is actually faster than expected, leaving about 15-16 mil of compromised units of a small subset of them actually available for negative use which can now no longer be safely bought into as the months pass, curtailing the longterm market.

Of a system that's going to sell probably 70-90mil, if not more.

Yeah, it's a pretty fast turn around, given that these vulnerabilities have only been known for a short time and the hacking scene is taking a huge hit now that the loop is closing.

Also, considering we are talking about Mariko, and Nintendo is on track to hit their 20 Million units by April, I think it's safe to assume that the 70 to 90 million figure is conservative. The 15 million or so Switch consoles vulnerable will be a very small fraction of the ecosystem in the end.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to pick a second one up today via Amazon Prime Now to have a handheld emulation machine.

Although I already have a Raspberry Pi + touch screen that I built a few years ago.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Is there a way to tell which version a Switch is updated to? I might buy a second-hand one in the future to do some homebrew tinkering with.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You WILL?! Even for things not chip related? If the USB C port is broken, replacing the SoC seems like a big waste of money on Nintendo's part. Not even Apple does this in my experience.

My experience with their repair is to just get a brand new unit with your stuff transferred over. /shrug

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely possible, if they announce it soon-ish.
Honest question.. why would they announce anything?

It's a revision to fix a hardware flaw not a "upgraded" New 3DS type one.

One would assume they'd simply launch the fixed units without notice since you know.. they want you to actually buy these instead of the old Switch consoles.

According to Vena, theres no reliable way to tell which consoles come with this (current) fix and the old ones so it's pretty much a lottery game at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Honest question.. why would they announce anything?

It's a revision to fix a hardware flaw not a "upgraded" New 3DS type one.

One would assume they'd simply launch the fixed units without notice since you know.. they want you to actually buy these instead of the old Switch consoles.

According to Vena, theres no reliable way to tell which consoles come with this (current) fix and the old ones so it's pretty much a lottery game at this point.
Read what I was replying to.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
If I have a launch Switch that's been upgraded to 5.x, are these exploits still an option?

senj

Nov 6, 2017
You WILL?! Even for things not chip related? If the USB C port is broken, replacing the SoC seems like a big waste of money on Nintendo's part. Not even Apple does this in my experience.
If your USB port is broken, they'll just swap out the mainboard as one package rather than spend time trying to diagnose why it's broken and resolder traces.

Additionally, Nintendo is motivated to get the vulnerable SOCs out of circulation to quell publishers fears.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
If the old models will always remain vulnerable, I'll wait for a revision before I turn this into an emulation machine. I use online features frequently.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
If I recalled, Apple doesn't even do anything related to replacement parts.
I've brought my Macbook Air to the Apple Store for repairs on several occasions, and only once did they actually swap out the motherboard ("logic board"). They've also replaced the battery and screen of my jailbroken iPhone, and the phone was still jailbroken when I got it back.

Last edited:

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I wonder how many of the Switches sent in for minor repairs and returned with the save data gone, mysteriously 'unable to be preserved', were actually patched replacements? If the retail stores are just getting them now, surely the official service centers got replacement units/motherboards early.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of the Switches sent in for minor repairs and returned with the save data gone, mysteriously 'unable to be preserved', were actually patched replacements? If the retail stores are just getting them now, surely the official service centers got replacement units/motherboards early.

I don't really see why, to be quite honest. They have existing inventory just like everyone else, and I don't see why new shipments would be fast-tracked for them vs retailers.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have 2 switches. I don't have much interest in putting custom firmware on them but will they become more valuable in the nearish future?

SartrG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have 2 switches. I don't have much interest in putting custom firmware on them but will they become more valuable in the nearish future?

Once there are more "unhackable" Switches in the wild, possibly. 3DS on a vulnerable FW became more valuable for a while, when there were only few ways of hacking them and they all (or mostly) required a specific FW or lower. But I think the biggest issue with this is that there are a lot of vulnerable Switches around, and since all of them are vulnerable even if they're in the latest FW, I don't think they will become that valuable until there are way more patched Switches than vulnerable Switches in the wild.

So, probably, yes, but I wouldn't count on a huge spike in price or anything like that.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guess I might be hunting down a Switch asap. I'm on the cusp of buying one anyway. I don't want anything other than to rip physical games (which I understand is still problematic playing online), but I still want the potential to hack anything I want in the future.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I've brought my Macbook Air to the Apple Store on several occasions, and only once did they actually swap out the motherboard ("logic board"). They've also replaced the battery and screen of my jailbroken iPhone, and the phone was still jailbroken when I got it back.
Ok, so it's "rarely", since you went there on several occasions but Apple only did something once.

Opoth

Dec 24, 2017
Got that second Switch on standby for emulators when this revision was announced a few months ago.

If you care about going online expect to get banned eventually if you go down this road, so a second system is the best option.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Got that second Switch on standby for emulators when this revision was announced a few months ago.

If you care about going online expect to get banned eventually if you go down this road, so a second system is the best option.

I'm kind of hoping they'll eventually develop some kind of dual boot system. EmuNAND has hacks enabled but is automatically blocks going online; SysNAND disables all hacks and allows online.

This isn't a total fantasy, since the 3DS (and iirc Wii U?) already allowed you to switch between different system states on reboot.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can you revert back to a full legit switch and go online without worries? I'd love to try dolphin

No one's been banned just for homebrew, but a full NAND backup and restore would be the safest.

Be warned, extensively over-writing your NAND will ruin your chip and lead to early-on-set wear/failure.

We'll probably see s list pop up in the next few weeks.

Most likely. More and more units are getting reported so it will only be a matter of time, but the faster we get the table the faster the transition is happening. Probably by end of month they'll be popping up everywhere and some markets, like Japan or SEA (and China since, paradoxically, they are importing Japanese units), will be completely turned-over.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
But...folks who have run custom firmware (mainly SX OS with the SX Pro) even offline are still getting banned. Switch records the fact that SX Pro has been used.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But...folks who have run custom firmware (mainly SX OS with the SX Pro) even offline are still getting banned. Switch records the fact that SX Pro has been used.

If you cycle the entire NAND you'd have over-written everything, unless Nintendo has a secret mem module somewhere it's really impossible for it to be detected. This is an extreme measure and it's not recommended to do repeatedly (and is extremely time consuming), or at all for that matter.

People getting banned for pirating with SX OS are leaves traces all over their NAND.

WiiDSmoker

Banned
May 13, 2018
If you cycle the entire NAND you'd have over-written everything, unless Nintendo has a secret mem module somewhere it's really impossible for it to be detected. This is an extreme measure and it's not recommended to do repeatedly (and is extremely time consuming), or at all for that matter.

People getting banned for pirating with SX OS are leaves traces all over their NAND.

These people don't care.

And neither do I. I ordered a SX OS so I can put my BOUGHT games on a SD card. I won't ever go online. Ever.