• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These people don't care.

And neither do I. I ordered a SX OS so I can put my BOUGHT games on a SD card. I won't ever go online. Ever.

I mean they totally do care because there are places to see them whine about it and asking how to get unbanned/avoid bans.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, will my launch Switch become more expensive in the market? Could be a good deal if I can sell my old Switch and buy a new one with the same money.

WiiDSmoker

Banned
May 13, 2018
Hmm, will my launch Switch become more expensive in the market? Could be a good deal if I can sell my old Switch and buy a new one with the same money.

Until a software hack is found, yes it will. It wouldn't surprise me is a software loophole has already be found but never revealed though.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
This sounds like it was the Switch equivalent of doing a jailbreak. Are there any figures on how many people actually bother to do this?

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Glad there's been a ban wave, maybe be able to pick up a cheap banned unit for offline only emulation etc. Share the accessories between the units.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Point that Nintendo patched existing T210 and not included T214 yet maybe points that T214 will be used for real Switch revision where we will have some other difrences and not just fixed T210 vulnerability.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
A switch that has its full official functionality (online play etc) AND full homebrew/emulator support will be a beast of a machine

It's a shame that it has to be a nefarious workaround, as all I want is to play some old games on it and add Plex and Netflix, all of which should be on there already

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Most certainly not too late. This is actually faster than expected, leaving about 15-16 mil of compromised units of a small subset of them actually available for negative use which can now no longer be safely bought into as the months pass, curtailing the longterm market.

Of a system that's going to sell probably 70-90mil, if not more.

It doesn't matter if Switch will sell at the end of its commercial life 120 million of units. There are still 15-16 million of units with the potential of ruining the online experience.

People is talking a lot about 'Splatoon 2', but I can't care less for multiplayer games.

I'm the type of person preferring single player experiences.

Because of this, online leaderboards in arcade games are an essential part of the fun with Nintendo Switch.

As soon as tools to edit save files in the games start to appear, goodbye to reliable online leaderboards in most of the games.

Unless Nintendo is able to find an effective way of preventing any connection from hacked Switchs.

Also, a single uploaded hacked score in an arcade game can ruin the experience forever, it doesn't matter if you later ban this user.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't matter if Switch will sell at the end of its commercial life 120 million of units. There are still 15-16 million of units with the potential of ruining the online experience.

People is talking a lot about 'Splatoon 2', but I can't care less for multiplayer games.

I'm the type of person preferring single player experiences.

Because of this, online leaderboards in arcade games are an essential part of the fun with Nintendo Switch.

As soon as tools to edit save files in the games start to appear, goodbye to reliable online leaderboards in most of the games.

Unless Nintendo is able to find an effective way of preventing any connection from hacked Switchs.

Also, a single uploaded hacked score in an arcade game can ruin the experience forever, it doesn't matter if you later ban this user.

It's already too late. Some games already have fucked up leaderboards. Still as long as these idiots do that online they will get banned soon.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This news forced me to pick up a Switch yesterday. I'm not champing at the bit to homebrew it, I mostly just wanted it for its legit functions.. but future options are nice.

Out of the box the firmware is 4.1. Is there a way to check if I have the patched BootROM or not?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

If I have the unpatched bootROM, that means I can update to official firmware if I want, and still hack it later at any time (maybe with that physical hardmod that bridges the joycon pins?)

If I have the patched BootROM, then I have to stay on 4.1 and wait for a soft mod custom firmware. If I update to 5.0 or greater then I might be out of luck indefinitely..... is that right?

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This news forced me to pick up a Switch yesterday. I'm not champing at the bit to homebrew it, I mostly just wanted it for its legit functions.. but future options are nice.

Out of the box the firmware is 4.1. Is there a way to check if I have the patched BootROM or not?

Correct me if I'm wrong:

If I have the unpatched bootROM, that means I can update to official firmware if I want, and still hack it later at any time (maybe with that physical hardmod that bridges the joycon pins?)

If I have the patched BootROM, then I have to stay on 4.1 and wait for a soft mod custom firmware. If I update to 5.0 or greater then I might be out of luck indefinitely..... is that right?

Yes.

And the only way to check is to try and hack it. 4.1 is the suspicious firmware (as in its what we know is on patched units) so it may be worthwhile to test it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
No clear way yet, other than hacking it with the RCM trick to see if it works.

Older Unfixed Hardware = Should be hackable on any firmware but always best not to update to newer firmware straight away, until it's been confirmed to work fine. Current 5.1.0 works fine though.

Newer Fixed Hardware = Stay on 4.1, unless they find another software exploit that works on later firmware.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They have actually. Everyone has, 5.x is a lauded firmware for just how hardened it actually is.
It also took a while with PS4 to get its firmware hacked. I am glad Nintendo is finally doing a better job but I still think we'll see it hacked at some point in future again. It's too much of an interesting target already.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It also took a while with PS4 to get its firmware hacked. I am glad Nintendo is finally doing a better job but I still think we'll see it hacked at some point in future again. It's too much of an interesting target already.

PS4 kernel exploits aren't being released, not because they don't exist but because they're being kept until patched or for posterity. There's a notable difference.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 kernel exploits aren't being released, not because they don't exist but because they're being kept until patched or for posterity. There's a notable difference.
I know that there is a difference but what are you trying to tell me here? That switch is now forever safe? It's a hunt like with almost all consoles and there is definitely interest in hacking the switch. Nobody is pretending it's easy. In my opinion it will happen in the future and you are free to disagree with that.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know that there is a difference but what are you trying to tell me here? That switch is now forever safe? It's a hunt like with almost all consoles and there is definitely interest in hacking the switch. Nobody is pretending it's easy. In my opinion it will happen in the future and you are free to disagree with that.

No. Just that in terms of currently know kernel flaws a total of one has been found, on an old firmware (all other exploits required exploiting nVidia's dumbass drivers but that was patched out in 5.x). No others are currently known of and its not like its being kept secret as to what is or isn't compromised.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. Just that in terms of currently know kernel flaws a total of one has been found, on an old firmware (all other exploits required exploiting nVidia's dumbass drivers but that was patched out in 5.x). No others are currently known of and its not like its being kept secret as to what is or isn't compromised.
Yes and I think this will change in the future and I also hope that for the homebrew community.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I think this will change in the future and I also hope that for the homebrew community.

Who knows. Nintendo's been extremely on-top of their software security, another flaw may slip in it may not. It may just provide homebrew userland access, or it may be more severe. But as of 5.x, prospects are currently not good.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course it could change, but you seemed to be implying it would be easy because Nintendo wasn't good with security when the situation has actually changed a lot this time.
Well, considering their past, it is only natural to assume that. Again, it's good that they are now taking security seriously but my mind won't change - the switch will not be safe until end of it's life. But this is speculation anyway. Currently millions of devices can be hacked in an easy way and I like that a lot. This now seems to be fixed, at least. Until next round.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-owned switches are gonna hold their value for a long time if Nintendo manages to successfully patch bootloader exploits on their new hardware.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

And the only way to check is to try and hack it. 4.1 is the suspicious firmware (as in its what we know is on patched units) so it may be worthwhile to test it.
To clarify... since I'm on 4.1, I'd have to use a hardmod (joycon pin bridging) technique to try and hack this, until the 4.00+ softmod custom firmware is released?

No pure software method to try and hack it on 4.1 right now?

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NA units are showing up with the boot fixed as well. I thought NA might take a bit longer but, uh, guess not.

To clarify... since I'm on 4.1, I'd have to use a hardmod (joycon pin bridging) technique to try and hack this, until the 4.00+ softmod custom firmware is released?

No pure software method to try and hack it on 4.1 right now?

Yes.

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's not all.

Nintendo's HackerOne updated: https://hackerone.com/nintendo/thanks/2018

A lot of big names from 3DS and Switch are now White Hats for Nintendo. Smea has changed sides in the great war!

(Also this update means we're probably about to get a major firmware dropped on our heads with a LOT of fixes.)

OP
OP
Vena

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Think that 200k is a typo, from Nintendo's Hackerone page:

"Nintendo will pay rewards to the first reporter of qualifying vulnerability information ranging from $100 USD to $20,000 USD."

Wasn't submitted to Nintendo because these are nVidia flaws. Nintendo's HackerOne is for their software, they don't fix nVidia's hardware nor are they going to pay for it for white hat reporting.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not all.

Nintendo's HackerOne updated: https://hackerone.com/nintendo/thanks/2018

A lot of big names from 3DS and Switch are now White Hats for Nintendo. Smea has changed sides in the great war!

(Also this update means we're probably about to get a major firmware dropped on our heads with a LOT of fixes.)
After reading many of your posts in several threads: are you happy that Nintendo is now "safe" so to say? Or that they are now at least in a better position than all the years before? And: why?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a second Switch a couple of weeks ago, new, and it came with system software version 4.1.0. I'm good?

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
What's the easiest way to recognize one of the newer models? Are there region differences? I'm in Europe and would like to buy a vulnerable system -- have most stores refreshed their stock? Or is still easy to find the older models? Is ebay the only option left?