• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
The Borderlands franchise has seen a big bump in the last few months in the lead-in to Borderlands 3's launch in September, with Borderlands 2 reaching 22 million units.

That's up from 20 million units back in May. In total, the entire franchise has sold 48 million units, up from somewhere over 43 million units again reported back in May.

"I think [the sales boost] is a reflection of the fact that the Borderlands IP is stronger than ever, even though it's been eight years since the last release," said Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick to GamesIndustry.biz. "I think there's a whole new generation of consumers who are super excited about Borderlands. That bodes well as we head into the September release. We'll see how it does, but we feel really good."

As of 2018, the PC version accounted for 11 million copies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
In total, the entire franchise has sold 48 million units, up from somewhere over 43 million units again reported back in May.

"i-it's a B-B t-tier f-franchise!!!"

grats to Gearbox, talent won

F4F4059D4D1AE1DE72BA5F3AB6A89BA2BA534800

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this include The Handsome Collection or just regular Borderlands 2? If the latter, I can see why the PC version would account for half the sales who has been buying new PS3/360 games for the past 6 years?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
So good that I double-dipped after I went from Xbox to PC. Can't wait for BL3, the gunplay actually looks good and thank GOD they copied the ping system.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
I always did wonder if the free versions on PS+ are counted as sales or not, since you still technically "purchase" them on the store. Anyone know? I remember Borderlands 2 being free on Plus for awhile. It's what introduced me to the game.

Oct 26, 2017
Impressive they sold so much in the last months. Yes, I know they put their games super cheap as part of the promotion ramp up to BL3, but still, you would think everyone interested player in BL already had BL2.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It's like GTA V , everyone has it but it keeps on selling.

Great news for gearbox

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Got Borderlands 2 + The Pre-Sequel for Christmas a few years ago.

Played through the entirety of 2 (the best one apparently) and it was absolutely terrible. I kept going with it, and going with it, because I thought it would redeem itself. It was truly a dreadful experience. Endless terrible humour. Claptrap is unbearable.

I played about half of the Pre-Sequel, which honestly I thought was better than 2, but I gave up because it still wasn't good enough.

This all said, I don't need to like everything that is popular and I'm glad a series that people like does that well.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. Would be surprised if 3 sells half that many though. Just don't see the hype or anticipation

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Good for them, BL2 absolutely deserves all the love. Just scavenged my old 360 from my parents house on the weekend and hooked it up to transfer my +300h Salvador to X1. Started the Lilith expansion yesterday and goddamn I'm having fun with my OP permazerker build. After all these years it's even clearer that BL2 is one of my top 5 games of all time.

It's the laid-back story and characters combined with solid mechanics and gameplay loop that keeps me going on. There are so many crazy builds and the hunt for perfect loot never gets old. I'm so tempted to get BL3 on PS4 and then double dip on Stadia.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Weird how the CEO says it's been 8 years since the last title from the Borderlands IP when Tales from the Borderlands released in 2014. Even if he was talking only about BL2, it released in 2012, not 2011.

Anyway.... BL3 is going to be a monster this fall.

That game is on so many platforms by now, even Vita.

Absolutely deserved success.

And yet, still nothing on Switch.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand it. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, but BL2 felt like a complete retread with much more tedium and more boring environments. BL3 looks so unimpressive to me, they added some mobility moves that just look like Apex in molasses. And the humor is just insufferable.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I really don't understand it. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, but BL2 felt like a complete retread with much more tedium and more boring environments. BL3 looks so unimpressive to me, they added some mobility moves that just look like Apex in molasses. And the humor is just insufferable.

While I can't fault you on the humor, I do not agree with the "complete retread" at all. From guns to characters the sequel was very, very different. Environments were much more varied as well. By boring do you mean like combat scenarios and encounters?

Oct 27, 2017

How come the wasteland, which was majority of the game, was more interesting than all the things in BL2?

I just hope that Borderlands 3 is a major expansion in terms of everything gameplay (enemies, bosses, monsters, vehicles, abilities etc.), couldn't care less about cutting-edge visuals if you shit in people's mouths like Anthem did.

Jul 26, 2018
I played like an hour of this with a buddy when it was offered on Plus... Absolutely dreadful gunplay, level design and balance.

Oct 30, 2017
It's a tough game to get into and I've tried multiple times across multiple platforms. The loot is well-designed, but I struggle getting through the narrative as I find so many characters to be grating and annoying. Ironically, Claptrap is the least annoying character to me. The game just throws so many missions and objectives at you that it is overwhelming.

I do enjoy the online co-op but things can get real chaotic if you're playing with a seasoned pro as they'll just bossrush and leave you stranded.

I'm not knocking the game because I can genuinely see why it is so popular. I wish I could love it like other people seem to.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That's an absurd amount of Borderland sold.. had no idea.

22 million split between PS3, PS4 X360, X1, Vita, Shield, Linux, Windows, OSX. It's all over the place.

Which is the latest release, Shield? And which is likely the best selling platform outside of Windows. 360?

Oct 26, 2017
The game just does a lot right.

Substantial, satisfying vanilla campaign mode that feels self contained without any additional purchases. It isn't treated like a throwaway element to be gotten out of the way just to get to the "end game"
Added DLC was well priced and good sized. Complimented the main game well and didn't feel like it was pruned from it.
Game was consistently updated with tweaks and improvements including accessibility options such as button remapping and colorblind aids.
Game scales excellently between single player and multiplayer. It's immense fun with friends but when playing solo you don't feel like you're playing it "wrong"
Split screen multiplayer in an era where that is virtually non existent.
Really distinct character classes that cater to many play styles.
Excellent loot that puts most other loot games to shame. It doesn't save cool stuff until the end game.
The current gen re release wasn't phoned in like so many others this gen. Packed in two complete games with all dlc, upped the frame rate to 60, split screen increased to 4, added a fov slider and overall graphical improvements.
Excellent representation with it's NPC characters.

In so many ways, BL2 was the antithesis of what people here dislike about modern game development. It's why I'll support the games despite Randy being a twat as I believe the good far outweighs the bad.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Latest release was for PSVR end of last year.

Imo amazing in VR :)

So another platform I didnt even think of :P Amazing..

Bullshit. Borderlands 3 will be 2nd best selling game this year after COD. ResetEra may not be hyped for it, but that is not indicative of anything.

I'd say Pokemon will sell more than Borderlands as well.. but top 3 should almost be certain though unless I am forgetting a release

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I bought Borderlands GOTY at launch on the 360 and loved it.

I bought Borderlands 2 at launch on the 360 and loved it.

Skipped the pre sequel because I got a PS4 and it didn't look very entertaining to me then got the Handsome Collection on sale and fell in love with BL2 all over again now that I had Krieg and all the other DLC. Also played through TPS at least once with each character and loved it despite its shortcomings.

Bought Borderlands 1 again on PC because I wanted to play it at 60fps and with a DS4.

Then got Borderlands 1 AGAIN on PS4 because I couldnt run the remastered version on PC anymore.

Then Commander Lilith got released and I played even more BL2.

Then I thought I was finally set and ready for 3 and then I picked up BL2VR with an Aim and I'm shook by how amazing it is (and kinda sad 3 won't launch with VR and aim support) even though it still doesn't have all the DLC (coming soon apparently) or co-op and sprinting (never coming).

Gonna get the super deluxe edition of 3 at launch as well.

So. Yeah. Lol

Oct 27, 2017
There's a huge market for a game like this in 2019. It's super interesting how everyone was clamoring for Borderlands to become what Destiny/Anthem/Division is now back when 2 came out. Now after years have passed and we're saturated with games like that... we've wrapped back around and fans of the series just want another traditional Borderlands game. This new entry is going to sell a ton.

Oct 25, 2017
So another platform I didnt even think of :P Amazing..

I'd say Pokemon will sell more than Borderlands as well.. but top 3 should almost be certain though unless I am forgetting a release

Forgot about Pokemon. Yeah that will sell better. So top 3. I think it can beat FIFA. Either way it's gonna be a huge game. I'm interested to see how the game sells on the Epic store. That's the big question mark.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Forgot about Pokemon. Yeah that will sell better. So top 3. I think it can beat FIFA. Either way it's gonna be a huge game. I'm interested to see how the game sells on the Epic store. That's the big question mark.

Borderlands has a big PC userbase.. confident it's gonna do well on EGS. The majority doesnt really care where they get to play a new Borderlands after 7 year long wait for a new one:P

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Does this include people's free downloads from PS+ and Games with Gold/Game Pass?

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I've bought this almost as many times as I bought Skyrim.

360, PC, Vita, PS4, PS4 VR, X box one X.

Borderlands 3 is the only game that matters to me for the rest of the year.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't count how many times I've completed this game with different characters. It's almost embarrassing.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Played Pre-Sequel recently (it was meh). But I almost finished another playthrough of BL2 on TVHM and man this game is still great.