• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Even being a big BL fan, ye, I bought that shit digitally. Don't give a fuck no more at physical copies. I'm here to play when the clock strikes midnight. Or when I teleport to New Zealand to magically play early.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there even a disc in the physical edition or just an EGS download code?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even being a big BL fan, ye, I bought that shit digitally. Don't give a fuck no more at physical copies. I'm here to play when the clock strikes midnight. Or when I teleport to New Zealand to magically play early.

Is that really why you purchased digitally? To play like half a day early??

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I don't know if it's the same in other countries, but digital launch copies of PS4 games cost roughly 50% more than physical copies here. An all digital future would suck arse in Australia.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first digital purchase of a AAA game and I did but physical game for Borderlands 2.

I prefer physical discs but the Ultimate deluxe edition was unavailable to buy physically.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Damn.

But this is the kind of game I would digitally if I was interested in - same for Monster Hunter, Destiny and co.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i assume this is both related to digital going up, and the UK market as a whole going down.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly that probably means it's about the same or higher than BL2 at this point in terms of overall sales

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No data caps in the UK, makes sense.
What doesn't make sense is people paying those ridiculous digital prices on Sony/Microsoft stores.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
No data caps in the UK, makes sense.
What doesn't make sense is people paying those ridiculous digital prices on Sony/Microsoft stores.

Yep I agree. As long as digital will be significantly more expensive than retail there is no incentive for me to buy the game digitally. Just checked how much Borderlands 3 is in the UK PS Store and it's £10 more compared to Amazon UK.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Digital RRP is a huge Ripoff.

There is no cost to pressing a disk, packaging or brick and mortar middle man, but it still costs more.

Fuck that, you can keep your all digital future.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gamepass is great for consumer but really struggling to see the economic benefits for the devs, that's a lot of money they miss out on.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of curious about the digital sales. My friend and I bought the super deluxe, but he went digital. I would have did the same if it weren't for the steel book.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Is that really why you purchased digitally? To play like half a day early??

You don't remember the days when folks would compare which retailer sent their games out early and most would switch orders at the last minute to take advantage of that one extra day?

There was Amazon, ShopTo, SimplyGames...and I'm forgetting a couple.

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
I know digital is a big thing in UK especially in the launch week, but isn't less than half a bit too much?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I know digital is a big thing in UK especially in the launch week, but isn't less than half a bit too much?

Last I heard (maybe not UK specifically) is that digital sales account for almost 50% of sales these days. So even if that were true, BL3 still wouldn't have had quite as successful a launch as BL2 in the UK.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass is great for consumer but really struggling to see the economic benefits for the devs, that's a lot of money they miss out on.

They can't be losing out by that much, i imagine they crunched the numbers and thought it made more sense to take a lump sum upfront rather than hope the game performs well. Same with EGS, if the money is good, why not take it?

game sales in the UK have been going down this whole year, look how BL3 while being the best selling w1 game of the year, it still sold only less than 80k, in the past UK game market was selling a lot more.

Yeah, might be time to admit the UK market is contracting pretty badly this year. Combination of Brexit and general economic uncertainty seem to be the main driving factors.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Last I heard (maybe not UK specifically) is that digital sales account for almost 50% of sales these days. So even if that were true, BL3 still wouldn't have had quite as successful a launch as BL2 in the UK.

It's 80 percent in the UK,

Digital accounted for over £3 billion of that number, representing 80.1 per cent of the market. Digital grew 12.5 per cent year-on-year, whereas physical sales dropped slightly by 2.8 per cent (as revealed yesterday). Overall, the games software market is up 9.1 per cent.

www.gamesindustry.biz

UK video games market is now 80% digital

UK video games (excluding hardware) generated £3.864 billion last year, according to the Entertainment Retailers Associ…

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They can't be losing out by that much, i imagine they crunched the numbers and thought it made more sense to take a lump sum upfront rather than hope the game performs well. Same with EGS, if the money is good, why not take it?
5 dollars that's shared with a ton of other games, gears included per single customer vs 60 from a single customer for the one game.

Maybe MS is subsidising massively, don't know, but i don't think it's sustainable.

Nov 2, 2017
It's 80 percent in the UK,

www.gamesindustry.biz

UK video games market is now 80% digital

UK video games (excluding hardware) generated £3.864 billion last year, according to the Entertainment Retailers Associ…
The overall digital market is 80%, but the article also mentions that for Fifa 75% of sales were physical. That's to be expected given how expensive full price digital games are in the UK.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Paying £10 extra to sacrifice your ability to sell the game when you're done with it will never make sense to me.

I think the digital prices are an absolute joke, but for that £10 extra the benefits I see for buying console games digital are:
  • Play games across two consoles (By setting a family member's or close friend's Xbox to your Home console IIRC.
    You can change your home console up-to five times in a year. I'm not sure how this stuff works on PS4 and I personally haven't tried this myself, but I have friends that do this)
  • No disc switching and games take up no physical space
I prefer buying physical games.