• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Comes six months later, with Denuvo DRM in, no price announced yet.
Feels almost like they are TRYING to make it a hard pass.

Then again I have to admit I wasn't personally going to buy it anyway.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I waited for the Steam version till now and can wait for when it drops 70%+ in price. Just so many other games to be had this March that I am feeling more. DOOM Eternal day 1! And Ori on GamePass.

Honestly would have paid full price day 1 for BL3 if it was on Steam last year. You snooze you loose, Randy.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Awesome. Once its out the wait for a deeeeep sale begins! Not giving them anything more than $10 since they couldn't be bothered to release it on multiple stores at the same time.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
What about the hundreds of hard-working developpers ?
Not insulting you, but insulting that point-of-view. That's the exact opinion that CEOs and corporate bootlickers everywhere love to hear because it insulates and shields them from all consequences of their wrongdoing.

"Sure, the Board of Directors approved the deforestation of the entire continent of South America ... but think about all of the lumberjacks and operators that will be put out of work. My hometown alone has 1,000 people relying on jobs at the paper mill! So I ask you, what about the hundreds of hard-working millworkers?"

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Ive already waited this long, no reason for me not to wait for a deep sale at this point. Maybe Steam summer sale :O

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
For those that haven't played it yet, imagine if Borderlands 2 was made in 2019, but with less interesting bad guys.

That's it, that's the game.
But with much better gameplay, loot system, endgame, a much longer main story + more things to do etc.

Anyway I'm holding out hope for cross play between different platforms still

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
The game is decent Steam sale material, nothing more or less.

Good weaponry (with lots of trash tbh), decent enemy variety and a somewhat meaty campaign.

Also, fuck the unskippable dialogue because Jesus do some of these dumb NPCs love to run their mouths.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think Borderlands 2 had a longer main story and better endgame?

I finished Borderlands 3 in about the same amount of time as I did Borderlands 2, and when the game first launched there was pretty much no endgame to speak of, so....

I don't know what's changed and honestly with how unimpressive the core of the game was, I don't really think there's much that could get me to go back to it.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about the technical aspect of modding, it's about the fact that most games fully rely on the Steam Workshop to provide the mod support / hosting.
Actually thats not accurate, most games do not use Steam Workshop for their mods and pretty much all games that use Steam Workshop can be modded outside of Steam Workshop.

Last edited:

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'm hyped. Seems people are down on the game in typical era fashion but my friends and I have been waiting for this and will totally play it a ton once it's out. Going Siren again, as usual.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Exodus launched with a nice big discount on steam, hoping that BL3 follows the example, given that BL3 had steep sales on EGS already. But.. I guess i may be a little overly optimistic.

I just wish the game was a little.... better, so I could justify double buying. Like, I enjoyed it overall, because mechanically the game was massively improved. The gunplay, movement, enemy hit reactions, boss fights all feel much better designed than before. It's legit fun to just run around shooting things.

But in so many other ways, the game just feels like it's barely evolved since BL2, or in some other ways, kinda took a step backwards. People often say that playing Borderlands for the story is silly. And I would 100% agree IF the game didn't make such a big deal out of it. The constant radio voiceovers.. the constant....relentless....talking....... The game also makes you wait until a character has finished talking before throwing the objective marker on your map, and in a lot of cases, your objective is to "talk" to someone. This is annoying because there should be no real reason to having to go up to that character and press interact, you should be allowed to roam around while you are told stuff on the radio.

This makes replaying the game really grating. I replayed BL1 and 2 and even TPS so many times, but I quit replaying BL3 on my second playthrough. There's way too many interrupts in the gameplay.

It's made far worse by the fact that somehow by the end of the game I was actually wishing for Anthony Burch to come back. I didn't like the writing in BL2 and TPS in general, but Jack was memorable and well done, and BL2 definitely had some really cool moments. BL3 just feels like a cheap imitation of Burch's style. It's just bad. The villains are disappointing because instead of doubling down on the whole streamer satire angle, which could've been super cringey but in a likable way, that aspect of the characters is almost forgotten after the first 2 or so hours, and they just become simple Jack stand-ins.

And then there's the graphics, like holy shit, the last I played the game on my i7 8700k+RTX 2080 combo the game still kept dropping under 60 fps at 1440p with settings not even maxed out. And frankly, it doesnt look THAT good. It does look pretty nice, but the art style definitely hides a lot of the graphical advancements compared to BL2, which runs much better.

And the UI... oh dear lord, the UI is really something. I legit found it to be worse than BL2. Compared to other games in the genre, it's really bad.

I have yet to play the first DLC expansion though which apparently is very good and has much better writing than the main game. I will definitely check it out at some point, but for now my Borderlands mania has died down.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Actually thats not accurate, most games do not use Steam Workshop for their mods and pretty much all games that use Steam Workshop can be modded outside of Steam Workshop.
We are talking about multiplayer games. Obviously you can manually modify your singleplayer game files without having to relying on the Steam Workshop.
And I'm pretty sure that more than 90% of the multiplayer games on Steam use the Workshop for their mods. SP games have probably just a slightly lower share.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Is this game good if I enjoyed the gunplay and loot of BL2? I don't really care about the story all that much but I did like side stuff of BL2 as well.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It feels very off putting to see them announce the game now, on the store that most people wanted it on, and asking for the favor from people to wishlist it.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
We are talking about multiplayer games. Obviously you can manually modify your singleplayer game files without having to relying on the Steam Workshop.
And I'm pretty sure that more than 90% of the multiplayer games on Steam use the Workshop for their mods. SP games have probably just a slightly lower share.
You apply mods to the local client anyway, so whats the difference between MP and SP games?

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You apply mods to the local client anyway, so whats the difference between MP and SP games?
There's a significant difference between SP / MP when you're talking about mods.

If you want to join a modded MP game then 3 parties need to have the exact same mods and versions: you, the other players, the server instance.

Steam Workshop is checking if you have all required mods installed and will download missing mods, update mods if any instance has a higher version, provides parity checks and automatically downloads dependencies for mods and provides full mod packages. There's a reason why pretty much every MP game on Steam that provdes modding also uses the Steam Workshop because otherwise it would technically not be manageable for most games and users and become a disaster.

Multiplayer and modding is more than just "many singleplayer games combined".

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
There's a significant difference between SP / MP when you're talking about mods.

If you want to join a modded MP game then 3 parties need to have the exact same mods and versions: you, the other players, the server instance.

Steam Workshop is checking if you have all required mods installed and will download missing mods, update mods if any instance has a higher version, provides parity checks and tests automatically for dependencies between mods and provides full mod packages. There's a reason why pretty much every MP game on Steam that provdes modding also uses the Steam Workshop because otherwise it would technically not be manageable for most games and users.

Multiplayer and modding is more than just "many singleplayer games combined".
I dont think you have played many multiplayer games modded with Steam Workshop, because it doesnt check the files and synchronize automatically, like i can give you just three examples of top of my head: Avorion, Project Zomboid, Empyrion.
And of course you need to synchronize some mods between clients and server, but you can do that easily by applying mods by hand.

Also more often then not, the biggest mods are not even on Steam Workshop, thats why Nexus is so popular.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think you have played many multiplayer games modded with Steam Workshop, because it doesnt check the files and synchronize automatically, like i can give you just three examples of top of my head: Avorion, Project Zomboid, Empyrion.
And of course you need to synchronize some mods between clients and server, but you can do that easily by applying mods by hand.

Also more often then not, the biggest mods are not even on Steam Workshop, thats why Nexus is so popular.
Avorion has around 20.000 mods on the Workshop, Empyrion has around 100.000 mods on the Workshop. Also both teams are really nice when you work with them.

Kinda expected you to cite Minecraft as your example of a Steam MP game that doesn't use the Steam Workshop for its modding tbh.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Avorion has around 20.000 mods on the Workshop, Empyrion has around 100.000 mods on the Workshop. Also both teams are really nice when you work with them.

Kinda expected you to cite Minecraft as your example of a Steam MP game that doesn't use the Steam Workshop for its modding tbh.
Am I missing something? Minecraft isn't available on Steam.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've had half a year to think about it level-headed, cool off and look at it from a fresh perspective, I'm gonna give this a hard pass.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wish cross saves were a thing with big character based shlooters like this. Destiny got it right.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
Wishlisted, curious about the price but I don't expect miracles.

I waited 6 months for this but there's a lot to play already, it's going to be hard to put the time in B3 in earnest for a while.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
"EGS + Steam crossplay"

That expression here is a FUCKING JOKE.
Imagine inventing CROSSPLAY on the SAME PLATFORM. Remember, it's just a launcher though.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"EGS + Steam crossplay"

That expression here is a FUCKING JOKE.
Imagine inventing CROSSPLAY on the SAME PLATFORM. Remember, it's just a launcher though.
I mean... One's using Steamworks and the other is using whatever EGS calls their API. It'll be interesting to see what Borderlands does, considering both launchers use different friends lists, and afaik Steam doesn't allow you to sync friends lists.

There's a lot more to this than "EGS bad, Steam good." If the devs wanted this to be seamless to begin with, they would have used their own account system like Modern Warfare did.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
True, but for PC users. I ended up getting BL3 on console, hence why I was so impressed by Destiny 2 managing cross save between PC and different consoles.
?
It is available for Console users too, such as the case for DOS2 and Witcher 3 in Switch.

I mean... One's using Steamworks and the other is using whatever EGS calls their API. It'll be interesting to see what Borderlands does, considering both launchers use different friends lists, and afaik Steam doesn't allow you to sync friends lists.
You dont need to use steamworks to use mp and you can still use steamworks for things outside of Steam.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I know. Hence why I'm saying it is a joke to market crossplay on the same platform. And why that "multi launcher future" sucks because when you dont use the same APIs to provide matchmaking and such, you end up on one platform with split servers/player pool. BL3 is big enough to have """crossplay""". What about the others.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know. Hence why I'm saying it is a joke to market crossplay on the same platform. And why that "multi launcher future" sucks because when you dont use the same APIs to provide matchmaking and such, you end up on one platform with split servers/player pool. BL3 is big enough to have """crossplay""". What about the others.
Ideally Steam and EGS would collab and do something, but for whatever reason Valve doesn't give a damn about allowing people to link other accounts to your Steam account. They even silently nuked Facebook integration last year.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is this game good if I enjoyed the gunplay and loot of BL2? I don't really care about the story all that much but I did like side stuff of BL2 as well.

The gunplay is greatly improved, it feels nice to shoot most BL3 guns compared to BL2 ones(which honestly, felt like they hit like a wet noodle). And there's also the secondary mode that most guns have.
And characters have more than a single option for their action skill, which is nice if you want to try something else without needing to play an entirely different character.
Loot is just as good, if not better. There's the new anointments that can add even more possibilities. Like, you could get a Lyuda sniper rifle with an anointment of 50% extra fire damage after using your action skill, or a Lyuda sniper rifler with an anointment of having lifesteal for a short while after using your action skill.

Only the writing seems worse than BL2, and that's mostly because of the absence of Jack and realizing how great he was. Otherwise, it's the same ridiculous toilet/Family guy style humor from BL2 which may or may not be your style. :P

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally Steam and EGS would collab and do something, but for whatever reason Valve doesn't give a damn about allowing people to link other accounts to your Steam account. They even silently nuked Facebook integration last year.
From my profile:
unknown.png

?

They also have APIS to allow you to log in different accounts (such as Apex, or EGS) with Steam, just not the other way around (sadly).

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From my profile:
unknown.png

?

They also have APIS to allow you to log in different accounts (such as Apex, or EGS) with Steam, just not the other way around (sadly).
They don't have an area in the menu for adding friends to add friends that have linked their Facebook accounts anymore. I noticed because Discord dropped support for it at around the same time. There's basically no reason to link your Facebook account.

Also, yeah, they provide the API necessary for other services to make the connection, but they themselves don't add other services to their own platform.

I'm 100% supportive for Steam and all, but EGS has them beat there.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I'll pick it up when on sale under $20
Can't forgive the EGS store exclusivity.
I will never buy a game at full price that does it and certainly wont support or encourage it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Cant you connect your Steam account on your Switch for some games cloud save system ?
For Witcher 3 and DOS2 (although i think you connect per the game). Steam provides an API so you can take friend information from Steam to other services but doesnt use other peoples API to connect friends. Basically:
Steam friends -> Other services (easy)
Other services -> Steam (not so easy)

Technically uPlay (and Origin? havent used Jedi Fallen Order) also connects with the Steam account if you have a game that launches it (as it saves the information with the account). But I think that is done on uPlays side.