• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Things have been rough today for me.
We had two different game crashing events (one when I was hosting, one when my friend was and each time it was the host that crashed)

and we had a bug where something was supposed to open up and it just didn't. Luckily it was fixed after zoning somewhere else and back in but it was still annoying as it required us to make our way all the way to the other side of the map again.

hopefully the first patch fixes a lot of this stuff.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not really understanding the character complaints personally. This is Borderlands through and through lol

From the new characters, I really liked Balex, Wainwright and Lorelei. The old characters were fine too. Vaughn was a bit over the top but it didn't bug me - he was already setup as a bandit leader in Tales, so it's not too surprising to see where he ended up years later.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Brother went full on native. It's so absurd.

But it's been years since the ending of Tales, right? I assume that, since then, the Children of Helios were wiped out and Vaughn moved from gang to gang until we eventually find him in BL3.

Also (ending spoilers):

There is a shot of Rhys and Vaughn reuniting in the final credits, so hopefully we'll get more of them together in a future DLC or something :)

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My big issue with the writing is execution moreso than concept. Describing it as "schlocky, juvenile humor" is fine - you could certainly call the rest of the series that, as well. But schlocky and juvenile is different from bad, and on a really pretty simple technical level, that's what the script here is. Badly written, and all too often, pretty badly delivered. It's a mess, not because of the decisions they made, but because of the ones they didn't, if that makes any sense. Like, I doubt that they wanted the coffee and burger and whatnot questlines on Promethea to be like that. There's solid gags in that concept, they just didn't find them.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't talk down to you. I legitimately feel badly you aren't enjoying him. Regardless, it's not like he's in the game that much, so you shouldn't sweat it too much.

I find it amusing that there is a vocal minority in this thread who are taking such pride in looking down on the juvenile, exaggerated humor in this game. It's not unexpected for a Borderlands game to have such schlocky, boyish toilet humor. Complaining about it is like complaining about the sky being blue. It is what it is.

but not all juvenile comedy is equal. Juvenile/toilet humor can still be good or bad. Saying "oh its juvenile" doesnt exempt it from critique.
The game is just trying so damn hard to be funny at all times, instead of taking its time setting up jokes or relying on good comedic timing. Someone like Vaughn is insufferable not because hes juvenile but because basically every time he opens his mouth, he tries to be funny. It gets a few chuckles initially, then it becomes cringeworthy, then ends up being straight up irritating.

BL3 does actually have some really funny side quests, like the Tommy Wiseau one or the one with the guy stuck in the toilet (which is about as juvenile as it gets) but so much of the dialogue is just poorly written.

Of course, comedy is subjective. So maybe some people think Vaughn is hilarious, and thats ok. But criticizing it doesnt mean it's people "looking down".

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not really understanding the character complaints personally. This is Borderlands through and through lol

From the new characters, I really liked Balex, Wainwright and Lorelei. The old characters were fine too. Vaughn was a bit over the top but it didn't bug me - he was already setup as a bandit leader in Tales, so it's not too surprising to see where he ended up years later.
I think Borderlands has generally always done a good job with the characters (which is what keeps me coming back to the franchise) and that there's a lot of fan favourites so naturally it's not feasible to fit *every* character from the previous games in but the ones that made it in feel like they're barely there and/or got treated badly. I don't get how the game's campaign managed to last for 30 hours without a single interaction between Zer0 and Maya and Rhys and Vaughn (outside of the ending pic obvs).

It's a real shame because the gameplay in this game is genuinely phenomenal but that story was so fucking horrid. It seems they tried to write this story around the big emotional moments but they all fell flat on their face. The best part of the game for me was Promethea and the Maliwan vs Atlas corporate war. Katagawa Jr. and Maliwan are way better villains that Tyreen and Troy Calypso.

I may seem down on the story but it had some truly great moments. The funniest part of the game was easily the little arguments and quarrles Rhys and Katagawa Jr got into over the comms. Wainwright and Hammerlock was tender as fuck. It just pisses me off that they made Vaughn a more prominent character than Maya, Zer0, Tina, Brick and Mordecai tbh.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I find it amusing that there is a vocal minority in this thread who are taking such pride in looking down on the juvenile, exaggerated humor in this game. It's not unexpected for a Borderlands game to have such schlocky, boyish toilet humor. Complaining about it is like complaining about the sky being blue. It is what it is.

Or I just don't like the writing and don't find it to be well done. I don't understand why any time someone in this thread talks about not liking the writing the people that will defend it act like its some moral superiority over poop jokes and just dismiss it. This game plays the same jokes over and over again with a relentless pace and it is just grating. I played through Tales from the Borderlands and saw this exact setting done insanely well. I laughed more in that one game than the 4 FPS games combined. Also saying "its like complaining about the sky being blue" is so dismissive, its the same with people who will jump up to defend Elder Scrolls or Fallout when people call it out for being buggy. Its always been like that!

It has, it could also be better.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Fl4k at level 35 with all the best beastmaster skills and increased health and regen with a strong shotgun almost feels like cheating.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, revisiting BL1 this year, the low-brow jokes were veeerrrry subdued in that one. It mostly played it straight, focusing on the vault, the mystery, Pandora, and largely on the mission, not often trying to whelm you with wit. It was rather dry overall, but there was just enough personality to make the characters feel a bit lively.

BL2 was where it went for the yucks and meme humor. To argue that the series always carried that tone is not quite accurate.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They actually had to nerf the Torgue shotguns because of Fl4k. He was melting shit with the sticky rounds.

I'm using a 356 Gratifying Bangstick and literally nothing can stand before me. I am doing insane amounts of damage. Taking down guardians or whatever they're called in three rounds and maybe a melee.

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
but not all juvenile comedy is equal. Juvenile/toilet humor can still be good or bad. Saying "oh its juvenile" doesnt exempt it from critique.
The game is just trying so damn hard to be funny at all times, instead of taking its time setting up jokes or relying on good comedic timing. Someone like Vaughn is insufferable not because hes juvenile but because basically every time he opens his mouth, he tries to be funny. It gets a few chuckles initially, then it becomes cringeworthy, then ends up being straight up irritating.

BL3 does actually have some really funny side quests, like the Tommy Wiseau one or the one with the guy stuck in the toilet (which is about as juvenile as it gets) but so much of the dialogue is just poorly written.

Of course, comedy is subjective. So maybe some people think Vaughn is hilarious, and thats ok. But criticizing it doesnt mean it's people "looking down".

I appreciate your post and get where you're coming from and agree that some folks present thoughtful reasons why they don't like the humor. There are more who just do a drive by and trash the humor. It's an easy shot that offers nothing to the discussion other than for an opportunity to state that one is above such things.

I didn't intend to defend the low humor of Borderlands because it's low; I'm defending it because I legitimately like it. I agree with you that the side missions are where the humor really shines. I was catching up on side missions now that I'm in mayhem mode and I replayed EchoNet Neutrality with a friend. That mission, at its heart, is a nice satire piece.

I never reached the level of irritation with Vaughn. He wasn't around long enough for me to even remotely get sick of him.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this game is rough. The moment to moment gunplay is gloriuos, but the rest? I have so much feedback for the devs and have a feeling, nothing would cut through the hype and memeification. Already tried the game's subreddit, but it's drowned in weapon jokes and memes and any criticism seems to be dismissed in ways I've rarely seen ("Chill, it's just been released for a week").

I love this franchise, we wanted to love this game but it tries it best to be hated. This game has to be the least polished AAA game in the last decade. We've aborted so many sessions out of rage cause of all the glitches, bugs and crashes. We've played over 30 h online co-op so far on PS4 Pro (same flat) and we've encountered, several times and sometimes simultaneously:
  • Hard crashes to console OS
  • Kicked from co-op to menu
  • Minimap glitches
  • Echo communication glitches
  • UI glitches
  • No sound effects at all
  • No weapon sounds
  • No dialogue sound
  • No music
  • No sound AT ALL
  • Quest glitches (not finishing, no respawnable quest car etc.)
  • NPCs talking over one another without us being the cause
  • Map glitches
  • Travel glitches
  • cutscene glitches
Aside from a general lack of polish:
  • Splitscreen barely playable in any graphics mode due to: Slowdown, menu lags, UI size and arrangement
  • Poor texture loading akin to early UE3 games, only slightly less worse in single player
  • Laggy menus, need to wait 5-9 seconds before my skill menu with Moze is finished loading so I can pick stuff (Counted it). Only slightly less worse in singleplayer
  • 4k/30 Mode in Singleplayer still plagued by a quite unstable framerate
  • Slow ass NPCs you have to follow around and wait for ultra long door opening animations etc.
  • NPCs and quest givers constantly talking and giving background while you're busy doing completely unrelated stuff (moreso than in 2)
  • Several menus, options etc. not explained (weapon decorations being one thing, half of Sanctuary, still no idea what's the use of the weapon parts menu?!)
  • Too few and badly placed travel points (come on, it's 2019). They're always at the beginning of a zone and there's rarely more than one in a zone.
  • A generally bad use of space UI- wise
It's selling like hotcakes and feedback seems to be buried because not everyone seems to have the same experience of technical flaws we have, but this game could use a lot more polish so everyone can enjoy the fun. I think it's a shame a big AAA game can release in such a state and we're still waiting for a fix for the most glaring, technical issues. I understand there have been some hotfixes lootwise. But we're here crashing and glitching and thinkink priorities should be rethought. There are points on our list that shouldn't be acceptable at all. Even if the game is just released.

It's just a grating experience at times when it could be so so much more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think they should re-do auto bear so it just spawns Iron Bear. Instead of needing to get in. I got some really nice anointed perks now but using Iron Bear is just a waste endgame. If I could just spawn him I would at least have a button to press and activate the perks.
They should utilize the holding button to do stuff like FL4K does for their pets.

Moze holding down action skill does an auto iron bear, Zane holding down his shield pops it to his person immediately instead of dropping it on the ground etc.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
Playing with my wife and a friend and we are loving it so far, but there are a plethora of technical issues that are reducing our enjoyment level. Hopefully some of that stuff gets ironed out in the near future.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
jJCpU99.jpg

f42.png

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I know it's such a small thing, but I really miss being able to see the name of the class mods in the HUD.

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Or I just don't like the writing and don't find it to be well done. I don't understand why any time someone in this thread talks about not liking the writing the people that will defend it act like its some moral superiority over poop jokes and just dismiss it. This game plays the same jokes over and over again with a relentless pace and it is just grating. I played through Tales from the Borderlands and saw this exact setting done insanely well. I laughed more in that one game than the 4 FPS games combined. Also saying "its like complaining about the sky being blue" is so dismissive, its the same with people who will jump up to defend Elder Scrolls or Fallout when people call it out for being buggy. Its always been like that!

It has, it could also be better.
And it's fine that you don't seem to enjoy the writing of the FPS versions of Borderlands. I agree with you that Telltale's approach to the universe is really good. For me, it's funnier too.

I guess in a way I was being dismissive, but not for the reason you said. We were promised a more refined (in terms of QoL and gun mechanics) experience and we got it. The Gearbox approach to the storytelling is true to itself (for better or worse). At least you can admire their consistency?

We do both agree that BL3 should be better. I'll start by suggesting that losing gear from my bank is antithetical to a good looter shooter.

When I logged in to play co-op with my wife after dinner this evening, my bank had been robbed. The only saving grace is that I'm still leveling and the guns I was saving were for subsequent play throughs with new vault hunters. I'll miss them, but there are billions more from where they came from. I guess my new vault hunters have to find their own shit to get them through the story.

Also, Yoshi88, stellar post. I agree with you completely. I'm going to remain optimistic (foolishly?) that things will improve with upcoming patches. They are at least transparent in that they've heard our complaints and are working on fixing the issues. There are some AAA companies who bury their heads in the sand when issues arise.

Last edited:

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got a artifact early on that offered 100% slide bonus and had been using it for pretty much most of my play through. I recently got a new artifact that had some nice perks so decided to give it a try, it didn't have the slide bonus and now suddenly the game feels slow. I have to have my slide bonus, it's just too good.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah true.

I loved levelling Moze. But it's such a shame Iron Bear falls off so steeply in the endgame (though from what I've been reading Fl4k suffers from the same thing more or less). And Moze does feel like a one trick pony atm.
Yeah I wonder how substantial balance changes are gonna be. I hope they completely revamp pet/mech scaling to make them useful at the mayhem levels as well as buffing her green tree among other things.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
So question, what would happen if if sell me preorder bonus gear? Will they be lost forever? Or would I be able to get them back at a later date (say when I start new game plus or something)?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started TVHM and I keep earning guardian XP but can't use tokens. Tokens show up as -38 for me. Do I have to beat all of TVHM before I can use them, or is my game bugged?

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Started TVHM and I keep earning guardian XP but can't use tokens. Tokens show up as -38 for me. Do I have to beat all of TVHM before I can use them, or is my game bugged?

It's a bug. Your Guardian Rank will show up properly when you play offline (you might have to gain another rank) and you can use the tokens. However, once you play online again it will show up negative again, but you'll keep the stats and skill you've unlocked. In other words, just go offline if you want to use the tokens.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, this game is rough. The moment to moment gunplay is gloriuos, but the rest? I have so much feedback for the devs and have a feeling, nothing would cut through the hype and memeification. Already tried the game's subreddit, but it's drowned in weapon jokes and memes and any criticism seems to be dismissed in ways I've rarely seen ("Chill, it's just been released for a week").

I love this franchise, we wanted to love this game but it tries it best to be hated. This game has to be the least polished AAA game in the last decade. We've aborted so many sessions out of rage cause of all the glitches, bugs and crashes. We've played over 30 h online co-op so far on PS4 Pro (same flat) and we've encountered, several times and sometimes simultaneously:
  • Minimap glitches
  • UI glitches
  • No weapon sounds
  • No dialogue sound
  • No music
  • No sound AT ALL
  • Map glitches
  • Travel glitches
  • cutscene glitches
  • Splitscreen barely playable in any graphics mode due to: Slowdown, menu lags, UI size and arrangement
  • Poor texture loading akin to early UE3 games, only slightly less worse in single player
  • Laggy menus, need to wait 5-9 seconds before my skill menu with Moze is finished loading so I can pick stuff (Counted it). Only slightly less worse in singleplayer
  • Slow ass NPCs you have to follow around and wait for ultra long door opening animations etc.
  • NPCs and quest givers constantly talking and giving background while you're busy doing completely unrelated stuff (moreso than in 2)
  • Several menus, options etc. not explained (weapon decorations being one thing, half of Sanctuary, still no idea what's the use of the weapon parts menu?!)
  • Too few and badly placed travel points (come on, it's 2019). They're always at the beginning of a zone and there's rarely more than one in a zone.
It's selling like hotcakes and feedback seems to be buried because not everyone seems to have the same experience of technical flaws we have, but this game could use a lot more polish so everyone can enjoy the fun. I think it's a shame a big AAA game can release in such a state and we're still waiting for a fix for the most glaring, technical issues. I understand there have been some hotfixes lootwise. But we're here crashing and glitching and thinkink priorities should be rethought. There are points on our list that shouldn't be acceptabel at all. Even if the game is just released.

Fully agree with the co-op stuff. The game needed more time for that.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The resolution in performance mode on X is 1080p and dynamic 4K in resolution mode right?

I really want to buy it but some of the reports that even resolution mode is shit now has me wanting to wait. It's odd that some people don't seem to have these issues though.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Finally finished the game and I have mixed feelings. I'm somebody who actually found BL2 funny at times and after Tales I would have expected BL3 to be even better but it was somehow worse. At most I chuckled at a few of the smaller lines but the jokes they put the most time into missed hard. I wasn't a fan of how some of the characters were handled such as Lilith and Vaughn and the Calypso's were exactly what I thought they were going to be. They're not nearly as good as Handsome Jack. Also, I was disappointed that all the returning characters were shown in the first trailer and there weren't any surprise appearances.

That being said the gameplay is a worthy enough improvement for a sequel. The guns both feel better than ever and are diversive as ever. The slide feels so good and the way you can make it better with artifacts felt even better. But most importantly I have played all four classes (mained Moze and played a few hours each of the rest) and I can see myself enjoying all of them which is a first. The guardian rank also adds a lot of much needed replayability while the expansions aren't out.

Overall I like it as much as Borderlands 2 but it should have been easily better. Still going to play it a whole fucking lot though.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is up with some SHIFT codes only lasting for a few hours once listed, e.g. on Discord? Whoever's posting them has no concept of time zones.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
On PS4, There was no pedestal in Sanctuary to add mayhem modes to TVHM unless you beat the storyline again. PC players can activate Mayhem no problem. So it's better to farm normal with mayhem activated so I don't have to do another 24 hour main quest to unlock it a second time

But the biggest issue I ran into. My bank was empty when I logged in today. All my legendaries wiped away to an empty bank. That's a real punch in the gut. Everything I collected before they nerfed drop rates, wiped clean.

Was it on purpose to reverse the high amount of legendaries people got or is their game simply broken?

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how to efficiently fight the Annointed purple ennemies. They have as much HP as some bosses, they grow tiny and run around or go immune and put a HUGE fire dot on you if you arent running around like a madman... its not really fun especially in higher mayem

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I don't understand how to efficiently fight the Annointed purple ennemies. They have as much HP as some bosses, they grow tiny and run around or go immune and put a HUGE fire dot on you if you arent running around like a madman... its not really fun especially in higher mayem

What you will find is they change what they are vulnerable to regularly. So mix up the types of damage you do. The ones with shields take zero damage while shields are up. Try getting a void grenade of sorts that either sucks them up to a point or throws them around for a while to take the heat off

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
anointed mods don't seem to work with some of amara's skill variations
e.g. an anointed mod that takes effect after casting PHASESLAM does not work with FRACTURE.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone looking to level up their second characters fast if you play offline you still get the pre-nerfed rates for EXP and Loot, just turn off your internet connection on the PS4. I assume it works with XBox too, not sure about PC.

I was able to farm Chupacabratch/Graveward via Pipe Bomb getting stupid EXP and great drops to get level 50 really quickly.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone looking to level up their second characters fast if you play offline you still get the pre-nerfed rates for EXP and Loot, just turn off your internet connection on the PS4. I assume it works with XBox too, not sure about PC.

I was able to farm Chupacabratch/Graveward via Pipe Bomb getting stupid EXP and great drops to get level 50 really quickly.

I was just doing this and found a decent Face Puncher for my Amara melee build. Then I just got a bunch of useless legendaries that I'm not even going to use :/

A friendly reminder again: remove your loot in your storage container since it's bugged. Create multiple mules and farm Graveward for some quick exp and money for more backpack space for your mules.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Help me out bros, I got an anointed gun with "+100% gun damage shortly after action skill ends". Two questions, 1. Does it appear as a buff on the buff bar if triggered, and 2. Does Fl4ks Rakk Attack trigger anointed skills like this?

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Help me out bros, I got an anointed gun with "+100% gun damage shortly after action skill ends". Two questions, 1. Does it appear as a buff on the buff bar if triggered, and 2. Does Fl4ks Rakk Attack trigger anointed skills like this?
I would like to know that as I have 2 guns that I equip but don't use that have the same perk, one is for 100% damage and the other is 150% damage when action skill ends. I use fade away but to be honest I'm not sure if they work or stack to make 250% damage etc.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I have to get one thing out of the way:

I want to compliment Gearbox in creating a campaign where the environmental variety is absolutely top notch. So far I went from desert wastelands, to a huge sprawling city, inside a huge skyscraper, towards a shaolin monk environment, into a swamp wasteland and then inside a huge manor. The difference in style is something that the Borderlands 2 main game story never had. There are times where I am floored by the differences and scale.

Oct 27, 2017

• Minimap glitches
  • UI glitches
  • No weapon sounds
  • No dialogue sound
  • No music
  • No sound AT ALL
  • Map glitches
  • Travel glitches
  • cutscene glitches
It's selling like hotcakes and feedback seems to be buried because not everyone seems to have the same experience of technical flaws we have, but this game could use a lot more polish so everyone can enjoy the fun. I think it's a shame a big AAA game can release in such a state and we're still waiting for a fix for the most glaring, technical issues. I understand there have been some hotfixes lootwise. But we're here crashing and glitching and thinkink priorities should be rethought. There are points on our list that shouldn't be acceptable at all. Even if the game is just released.

Just chiming in to say I fully agree with your post. The game is borderline inexcusable. The gunplay, loot systems, and lighting are solid, EVERYTHING else is awful. I won't lie and say I'm having a terrible time with it, but I wish I was rewarding a more polished game with my time/money.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I've run into some NPC glitches that have halted story progress until I close the game.

My only real concern about the game is that as someone who plays alone mostly, I feel like BL3 is particularly stingy about ammo unlike the first two, and I find myself frequently ending up with no ammo across all 4 guns I have equip, having to switch to an entirely different type of gun just to get more ammo.

Also, I'm level 15 and my guns still seem super shit.