• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Nelson

Oct 1, 2019
California
So, as someone who was never particularly good at endgame on the previous installment, is there a trick to staying alive?

Against random trash mobs the trick is mostly having a skill build that has some survival included in it. Mayhem 2 and 3 became much more fun for me on Amara when I switched to the so-called Immortal Hellcat build. All those points in the green tree are there just to get me to Guardian Angel (free Second Wind every 2 minutes). But the bonus health and damage reduction really help, before I did this I'd die all the time and now I almost never die. The Life Steal from Sustainment in the red tree is a big help too. And of course this build has massive crowd control which is a big help.

The other thing that helps a lot is a good shield. I go for one with ~10,000 health and several attributes that help survival, like dropping shield boosts or damage reduction.

Against minibosses and bosses staying alive is mostly a matter of learning the fights and taking cover when needed. You can never just stand and shoot.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I mean at best testing for the game runs two weeks (takes a full week to play the main story). As there's certification and the QA team at 2k to go through. Plus the time spent developing the patch itself.
Hello Games released a major patch for No Man's Sky that introduced some major issues. Those issues were literally patched the next day. Ubisoft takes about a week to patch major issues that they introduce in Siege and even that feels slow.

I'm not saying that it's easy or that we should be getting fixes for every little problem immediately. But this Guardian Rank thing is a problem that they introduced and there's no way that a fix for it needs to be bundled in with a DLC patch a month later. It's a major issue that they could definitely prioritize but they're choosing not to. They're sticking to one major patch a month and hotfixes (that don't cost any money to certify) in between. They shouldn't need to run through the entire game again just to fix the Guardian Ranks, otherwise they've got bigger issues going on.

Last edited:

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
absolutely! as a matter of fact it's usually zane reviving everyone, atleast when i'm playing as his. I have a level 50 Zane and Moze and I actually think Zane is better, well i prefer him any way. He takes a lot of tinkering to get him how you like. but what it comes down to for just about any character is anointed weapons. just get good anointed perks and any character/build can work
Yeah the raid was kind of eye opening. When I'm playing with randoms I always have to take risk to revive them which might end my shield too soon. Zane truly has the best survivability from what I've seen online.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
Someone shared an image of different builds. Idk if it was here or reddit... Anyone got that image? I forgot to save it...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This entire time I've been saying Roisen's Thorns as Rosie's Thorns lol

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just start playing and having fun...has anybody having this menu bug problem. when I select guns and accessaries, the icon is showing a different item....I'm on PS4P...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Farming Phoenix for the Deathless Relic on Mayhem 3 and man this fucker has failed to spawn after going to ashes twice now, also seems completely immune to non elemental splash damage and has no critical hit spots.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this could be promising for PC performance....

"[PC] Improved network performance on PC to prevent hitching related to friends or networked games"

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
Damage stacking glitch?

If you have a brawler ward shield with its 300% melee damage on depletion. And a face puncher. Go to konrads hold and jump off the cliff for about 20 minutes. Everytime you die it will stack that 300% damage. After 20 minutes I can do about 3-6 million damage per shot. Anymore stacking and the game seems to crash after the valkyries fight on my regular ps4 at least.

If you go down in battle or quit to the menu you will lose the damage

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Why cant I start the Takedown at Maliwaan? The thing isnt showing the mission. Im lvl 50, in True Vault Hunter Mode but cant access it. What gives?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
nice surprise patch today

fixes the guardian rank perks, item thumbnail visual bug and a lot more

edit: moze immediate auto-eject bug finally fixed
  • Addressed an issue where thumbnails and locked state could sometimes become incorrect when viewed in the inventory menu​
Ayyy, not a crippling bug but one that was just slightly annoying gone.
  • Added functionality to skip the intro movie once the video has fully loaded​
Cutscene skip is almost here :O

Considering guardian rank skills still worked if you unlocked after the patch. I'm thinking disabling certain guardian skills is almost here too

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

So the player scaling for the raid is gonna be in the new year event (yay a new year event) but is.... temporary? I don't really understand why everything in this game scales difficulty for player count except the raid.

It's only gonna get worse from here with no server browser like previous games had :/

Also sucks if you have shitty internet
My hope is that raids will be released with 4p scaling then have the option for X scaling patched in later.

Also, my god the menu is near beautiful on ps4 pro. Just a slightly longer load and then it's close to being butter after that. All they need to fix now is icons refreshing when faving/equipping and that first load and it's perfect. Also, framerate in sanctuary seems to better

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
My hope is that raids will be released with 4p scaling then have the option for X scaling patched in later.

Also, my god the menu is near beautiful on ps4 pro. Just a slightly longer load and then it's close to being butter after that. All they need to fix now is icons refreshing when faving/equipping and that first load and it's perfect. Also, framerate in sanctuary seems to better
Wait so currently how does the raid treat difficulty/scaling?

I was under the impression that it was balanced for a 4 player team and you're just making it harder for yourself if you play with anything less than that

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What's the better Moze build? Shield and mags or shield and demolition? Or is it demolition and mags?
Cant imagine shield and mags can output any decent damage

Seems to be 3 real options: mags and demolition with blast master

Demolition and shield with bloodletter

Or Iron bear skills with raging bear

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cant imagine shield and mags can output any decent damage

Seems to be 3 real options: mags and demolition with blast master

Demolition and shield with bloodletter

Or Iron bear skills with raging bear
I use Shield/Mags with Deathless artifact and it's pretty good on Mayhem 3 with Vladof guns with big magazines(other than Lyuda). Very rarely have to reload and the DPS buff from the Desperate Measures skill helps quite a bit. My Lyuda is a fucking deadly sniping machine gun and I love it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I use Shield/Mags with Deathless artifact and it's pretty good on Mayhem 3 with Vladof guns. Very rarely have to reload and the DPS buff from the Desperate Measures skill helps quite a bit. My Lyuda is a fucking deadly sniping machine gun and I love it.
Hmm true that might work

Bottomless mags on its own is just a bit shit and I hope it gets buffed

Also what do you do for healing if you can't get Vampyr?

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hmm true that might work

Bottomless mags on its own is just a bit shit and I hope it gets buffed

Also what do you do for healing if you can't get Vampyr?

I agree Bottomless mags looks kind of shit on paper, but don't underestimate the power of nearly infinite ammo. :P

Shit dies so fast I don't have to worry much about my shield. I also have a nearly 11k Front Loader Shield that drops charges for 10% damage reduction. I have something like 37k shields in total. I also have a few points into Phalanx Doctrine that are useful since I kill enemies pretty fast.
If it does gets low, I jump into Iron Bear and let my shield regenerate while I'm inside, thanks to Full Can of Whoop-ass.

But, I also only play Moze with my fiance(who plays FL4K), so I'm not the sole point of attention from enemies, that might help a bit.

Last edited:

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
was bloodletter nerfed or i have a shitty one? +150% shield recharge delay increase is stupid and on top of that -50% recharge rate

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
was bloodletter nerfed or i have a shitty one? +150% shield recharge delay increase is stupid and on top of that -50% recharge rate
Oh this entire time I figured it was meant to be shield buffs but I was just confused about the wording or they messed up

That being said you should pretty much not die ever as a BL Moze outside of M4 or the raid with a halfway decent shield so it seems like a fair tradeoff to me

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
The solution to the thumbnail glitch is brutal. The game seems to be refreshing the inventory as soon as you move the cursor over to it and the game chugs every time it happens, which seems to be when it begins to scroll at the bottom.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Zane still has so many annoying QOL issues

Mainly no way to instantly deploy the barrier to a personal one, the fact that the visibility when using the barrier is arguably worse than it was before, the fact that the SENTL doesn't go too far away from where Rhys is standing and there's no way to recall it or the barrier early and the fact that theres no way to see how many grenades he has available when having 2 action skills despite having skills to use grenades in other ways

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also it would be great if swapping places with his clone or just activating any action skill reloaded his currently equipped gun

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
The solution to the thumbnail glitch is brutal. The game seems to be refreshing the inventory as soon as you move the cursor over to it and the game chugs every time it happens, which seems to be when it begins to scroll at the bottom.

This is fucking insane. Noticed it as well yesterday on PS4.
I think I'm done with the game. I've got my fun out of it, but I can't take the huge amount of UX glitches and bugs that continue popping again and again.

Nelson

Oct 1, 2019
California
Yeah I noticed that thumbnail "fix" too. Whatever engineer implemented that should be ashamed. I really don't understand why they're having such a hard time updating the game code. It's not just that there's a console release; plenty of games manage that fine.

BTW the Takedown at Maliwan raid may be scaled for 4, but it's manageable at 2. At least, my friend and I did it with two Amaras on Mayhem 1, and are close to doing it on Mayhem 3. We're pretty well geared and can do most of the rest of the game at Mayhem 3, but we're not superpowered or using all the glitchy stuff. It sure would be easier with fewer adds during the boss fight though.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's the not the craziest fuck up in the world. The fix was to update the inventory on menu pull up and someone accidentally made it do the update call whenever you fav/trash something.

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, it's the not the craziest fuck up in the world. The fix was to update the inventory on menu pull up and someone accidentally made it do the update call whenever you fav/trash something.

It's definitely not the craziest fuck up in the world, but they've chained small fuck up after small fuck up since the release. None of these made me stop playing the game, but they detract enough from the user experience that after playing for a couple of months, I've had enough of all these issues.
Bugs happen, I won't blame any developer here, I understand there's deadlines to meet, etc. But this is not a low-profile game, and two months after release I think there's some things that should be fixed for good. I think that the inventory, specifically for a game that uses it so extensively, is not something that can have so many bugs at this point.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
From a technical perspective maybe its understandable but from a performance perspective these feel worse than before their first performance patch for the UI. It's a slog.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Speaking of small fuckups the new CoV bullets go through Zane's barrier and they did something with the guardian perk ranks for shields where it increases the delay and lowers regen although I only saw one post on that

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played yesterday after the patch and I don't remember anything annoying from the menu... Is this a problem with consoles only?

Nelson

Oct 1, 2019
California
The inventory slow refresh problem is on PC, too.

I have an uncharitable theory of what happened. They had some bug where the icons weren't tracking the inventory slots correctly in some circumstances, like when you sold an item and it was like all the icons forgot to shift over to account for the new hole in the inventory. But rather than fix that bug correctly, making the state tracked right, someone just papered over it with "eh, just refresh everything anytime anything changes". So now it looks right but the performance is ridiculous. Which I'm sure they noticed in QA but said "nevermind, ship it anyway". It's not great.

There's a whole 'nother question about why it takes 500ms to look up and paint the 2d icon for a weapon, but we'll leave that for another day.

Complaints aside I'm still loving the hell out of this game and am looking forward to the DLC next week. I can live with the embarassing UI bugs on the assumption they will eventually fix them. I'm a little worried about a larger problem that sorting through loot in endgame just isn't much fun. I spend an hour having a great time shooting mobs, then 15 frustrating minutes staring at gun stats and looking up red text effects on the web trying to figure out of I can throw some random gun away or not. Not sure what to do about that, in some sense it's an endemic problem in any loot-based game.