• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Got it preloaded on PS4 last night / this morning. Looks like it's around 35GB or so, smaller than the PC version, so presumably lower res textures / higher compressed cutscenes?

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
Based a couple videos, Flak seemed like the go-to for solo leveling. With maybe Zane coming in second.

What about best Coop character/build?

My buddy is going Siren and I was thinking of Fl4k pet build with the tree skill that increases damage while nothing is targeting you. I figure he and my pet would be taking most of the attention as they'll both be up in melee range.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Looking at Moze's skill tree, the one passive that I am struggling with is the "Matched Set" one:

"Moze's currently equipped weapon gains a stacking bonus to Magazine Size and Decreased Heat per Shot for every piece of equipped gear that has a matching manufacturer. "

I get it, but it seems like something you would only want to invest in the "late game" when you are trying to fully maximize your gear. It's currently placed right at the top so to advance the Skill Tree you have to get / skip this potentially dead skill since you aren't exactly able to be too choosy on a first playthrough / leveling. I wish it was near the bottom of the Tree or something. Anyway, maybe it's actually *good* design since I'm humming and hawing about it. /shrug

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
What about best Coop character/build?

My buddy is going Siren and I was thinking of Fl4k pet build with the tree skill that increases damage while nothing is targeting you. I figure he and my pet would be taking most of the attention as they'll both be up in melee range.

If that video from earlier in the thread is anything to go buy, it sounds like the characters are quite versatile and can be spec'd into something approximately how you describe. I think those two choices are good for some co-op rampage :) It really only sounds like Moze is the odd one out in terms not being super helpful for team" for a playthrough. Of course, I have not played a single second and only watched that one video and heard impressions a bit. Trying not to watch too much :P

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I hope there is a Randy Pitchford's Thumbdrive easter egg somewhere in the game.

I will diligently spend my days looking for one either way.

Oct 27, 2017
This gamespot live footage kinda has me leaning towards zane.

It's so weird how much emphasis the previews are putting on roles in regards to solo and coop play. It never seemed this way in past games.

Yeah, there were certain characters that might work better solo but they were never really pushed in that way. It was more about picking whoever interested you the most and all vault hunters being viable in whatever scenario and im sure that's still the case here to some degree but all the coverage i've seen is that if you want to go solo your interest should fall along the lines of: FL4K>>>>>>>>Zane>>>>Amara>>>>>Moze

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
This gamespot live footage kinda has me leaning towards zane.

It's so weird how much emphasis the previews are putting on roles in regards to solo and coop play. It never seemed this way in past games.

Yeah, there were certain characters that might work better solo but they were never really pushed in that way. It was more about picking whoever interested you the most and all vault hunters being viable in whatever scenario and im sure that's still the case here to some degree but all the coverage i've seen is that if you want to go solo your interest should fall along the lines of: FL4K>>>>>>>>Zane>>>>Amara>>>>>Moze

I think that is just based on path of least resistance. FL4K levels easy and has a pet, pretty good thing for solo. Zane has a drone and very flexible skill trees. Amara seems strong but a little slow to level. Moze seems even slower to level and has a long cool down on her sole action skill. You can co-op or solo with anyone it seems, there are just some scenarios that are going to be a little easier for some people. After watching some videos and character analysis, I think some console players will bounce off of FL4K. They rely on landing crit hits as often as possible and some people might not be up for that. Compare that to Moze who can go full explosion, blast anything and everything, and she could pick up some more solo players than what everyone is putting on paper as being her weakness.

I am just happy that every character has flexibility and diversity in their skill trees. Other BL games I had zero desire to play alts. Mordecai and Maya were it, and when I tried to run alts, I lost interest. This is the most appealing main character cast of all the BL games. They all seem genuinely fun to play.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ok I've decided to get this on EGS. I have never used it before so gonna look into that today.

When will the game be playable? Is it tomorrow night like midnight or will it be daytime Friday? Trying to decide when to preload as it may take awhile but I'm in the middle of some internet issues and need to plan it right

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Hope the inevitable dlc characters are more interesting for me to make new slors. Mechromancer was ez mode on normal but worthless past that and Kreig just didn't work in most scenarios. Did brick and Salvador and found everyone else super boring/lost interest.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Ok I've decided to get this on EGS. I have never used it before so gonna look into that today.

When will the game be playable? Is it tomorrow night like midnight or will it be daytime Friday? Trying to decide when to preload as it may take awhile but I'm in the middle of some internet issues and need to plan it right

Unlocks on Sep 12 at 23h UTC+0, which translates to:

September 12, 2019 - 16:00 PDT
September 12, 2019 - 19:00 EDT
September 12, 2019 - 20:00 BRT
September 13, 2019 - 00:00 BST
September 13, 2019 - 01:00 CEST
September 13, 2019 - 01:00 SAST
September 13, 2019 - 02:00 MSK
September 13, 2019 - 07:00 SGT
September 13, 2019 - 08:00 JST
September 13, 2019 - 09:00 AEST
September 13, 2019 - 11:00 NZST

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
I think the solo-coop stuff is really more a matter of does this character 'work' at lower levels. Flak and Zane very clearly have strong early game impact.

I'm still frustrated with Amara despite feeling like I'm going to enjoy her most late game. Severe lack of early game impact is one of the reasons why.

Only one of Flak's trees emphasizes crit and it specifically has a fallback for suboptimal aim as the capstone.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
anyone had their collectors edition ship out yet?

Edit: OH SHIT trophy list is out, looks alright, nothing seems out of the ordinary for a BL game.

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
I think the solo-coop stuff is really more a matter of does this character 'work' at lower levels. Flak and Zane very clearly have strong early game impact.

I'm still frustrated with Amara despite feeling like I'm going to enjoy her most late game. Severe lack of early game impact is one of the reasons why.

Only one of Flak's trees emphasizes crit and it specifically has a fallback for suboptimal aim as the capstone.

lol, This is basically the build I'm going for in my co-op run. No crit skills or going down that tree at all really.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
If that video from earlier in the thread is anything to go buy, it sounds like the characters are quite versatile and can be spec'd into something approximately how you describe. I think those two choices are good for some co-op rampage :) It really only sounds like Moze is the odd one out in terms not being super helpful for team" for a playthrough. Of course, I have not played a single second and only watched that one video and heard impressions a bit. Trying not to watch too much :P
That video was pretty misleading. Moze has two major damage buffs for her teammates. Whenever she gets a kill she gives her team +20% gun damage for 15 seconds and it can stack up to 60% gun damage. Everytime she reloads she can give her teammates +15% bonus incendiary damage for 5 seconds. Another skill will immediately start to recharge the entire team's shields whenever she enters her mech and the mech itself can be used as a giant shield. But that video makes it seem like her only co-op skill is the manned turret she can add to her mech.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that is just based on path of least resistance. FL4K levels easy and has a pet, pretty good thing for solo. Zane has a drone and very flexible skill trees. Amara seems strong but a little slow to level. Moze seems even slower to level and has a long cool down on her sole action skill. You can co-op or solo with anyone it seems, there are just some scenarios that are going to be a little easier for some people. After watching some videos and character analysis, I think some console players will bounce off of FL4K. They rely on landing crit hits as often as possible and some people might not be up for that. Compare that to Moze who can go full explosion, blast anything and everything, and she could pick up some more solo players than what everyone is putting on paper as being her weakness.

I am just happy that every character has flexibility and diversity in their skill trees. Other BL games I had zero desire to play alts. Mordecai and Maya were it, and when I tried to run alts, I lost interest. This is the most appealing main character cast of all the BL games. They all seem genuinely fun to play.

I'm willing to fully concede the idea that this is a "me" problem but the whole concept of who levels easier or who works better in the early game vs the later game is a weird concept to me because i never approached past borderlands in that way. I've always approached it as a straightforward first person shooter that has crazy guns and crazy characters with crazy abilities. I just picked whoever had the ability i was most interested in and just rolled with it.

It always served me well and i never needed to get bogged down in the granularity of figuring out the optimal build for certain scenarios or grinding for loot or anything like that. But now that there are more options amongst speccing out each character it seems like having to give more thought around builds and playstyle is more necessary.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the 37 minute class video I'm fairly impressed with the variety of play styles that each allow. In Bl2 the classes were more defined and there was, IMO, less variety of builds within a certain class. In 3 it seems like there will be a much wider variety of builds even though there are fewer vault hunters. Is it free of fairly cheap to respec?

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any good deals on the PC version I should be aware of? I can get 10% of from GMG using VIP code but that's all that I am seeing currently.

Looking for PC Super Deluxe.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't decide on an character to play. Definitely not FL4K, I've played enough pet classes to last me a life time. I'll probably land on Moze, but Amara looks cool too. This will be a last second decision lol

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

Unlocks on Sep 12 at 23h UTC+0, which translates to:

September 12, 2019 - 16:00 PDT
September 12, 2019 - 19:00 EDT
September 12, 2019 - 20:00 BRT
September 13, 2019 - 00:00 BST
September 13, 2019 - 01:00 CEST
September 13, 2019 - 01:00 SAST
September 13, 2019 - 02:00 MSK
September 13, 2019 - 07:00 SGT
September 13, 2019 - 08:00 JST
September 13, 2019 - 09:00 AEST
September 13, 2019 - 11:00 NZST

Awesome and oh wow I'm CST so that's like 6pm tomorrow. What a weird time! Guess I'll try and get all this done today then

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I'm willing to fully concede the idea that this is a "me" problem but the whole concept of who levels easier or who works better in the early game vs the later game is a weird concept to me because i never approached past borderlands in that way. I've always approached it as a straightforward first person shooter that has crazy guns and crazy characters with crazy abilities. I just picked whoever had the ability i was most interested in and just rolled with it.

It always served me well and i never needed to get bogged down in the granularity of figuring out the optimal build for certain scenarios or grinding for loot or anything like that. But now that there are more options amongst speccing out each character it seems like having to give more thought around builds and playstyle is more necessary.

I don't think it will all matter much in the long run, for the vast majority of players. All people can do at this point is put everything that we know under a microscope and try the theory craft without the game in our hands. I never even considered or care about half the shit in the analysis videos. Hard to level? Meh grind or jump in some co-op. Strong early or late? Whatever, some lucky drops can change things up in heartbeat no matter where you are in the game. I never got into the super specific end game builds in any of the BL games. No matter how the favorites/OP/endgame chips fall with the different classes, I think it is great that there is way more variety within each class. Should be fun to play regardless of min/max situations.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
achievement list looks super easy. Interesting they decided to not include ones for using each characters action skill like the other games had.

Bahlor

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Still no splitscreen gameplay? Hope it will be fine on base ps4 :-/ we want to start together with my son, so two of us have to share a base ps4

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Midnight launch

I'm gonna be a zombie through my Friday classes

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017

That's the problem in this case though. It's if your approach is more hardcore that early/late stuff doesn't matter. If you care about things like, as you say, 'the granularity of figuring out the optimal build' then you're going to blow through the early game so quickly it won't matter and assuming the game has a locker you're going to outgear everything on alts to such an extent that only lategame will matter.

But what if all you want to do is punch bandits in the face as the melee character? Just like the other melee characters in the series, Amara has a super important melee capstone that more or less enables that whole gameplay system. Blitz is really fucking important, not necessarily in regard to some minmax build design, but to the very basic concept of the entire playstyle. Avatar is really important for the middle tree too. In comparison, Flak gets a niche skill, some extra damage, and some extra damage as his capstones. Zane gets two skills that revolve around his gear and a skill that matters most when you're farming bosses.

There's a stark difference between the characters in terms of early game playability and it matters way more for casual players.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bleh, still nothing from cdkeys. I preordered a while ago too.

Seems like some streamers are clocking quite a few hours in the game already.