• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
How do COV guns actually work? I notice that the ammo count will go down for a while and then randomly come back up. I can't really tell what makes it go back up.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
The game has been so much more enjoyable since hitting 50, as many have mentioned here.

I think it helps a lot I understand how to traverse and read the map after so many hours though. Trying to read that map when I first booted it up was rough.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Credits are rolling, the song is perfect lol

I loved the game. Story and "humor" was meh but the gameplay is 10/10. Now onto item farm and coop. Final boss was really easy but i was overleveled. 40 hours and level 44. Will buy the season pass for sure.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
How do COV guns actually work? I notice that the ammo count will go down for a while and then randomly come back up. I can't really tell what makes it go back up.

They claim to have an unlimited mag size, but initially I took that to mean that they had unlimited rounds, but just overheated ala the original Mass Effect. All they do as far as I can tell is come with a mag that allows you to add more ammo (via ammo dump or random drops) than what you could have in other weapons of the same type at the time. The ammo count rises as you pick up more. Also, they do not have unlimited mag sizes, they are just relatively high and they don't need to be reloaded. Another thing, if you haven't already found this out yourself: they don't break once they overheat. There is just a short cooldown period before you can use them again.

I didn't use them all that much during my playthroughs, but for whatever reason, they seem to be the only manufacturer that comes with a 120% melee damage mod. The highest on most others I've seen is 80%. They also do actually have a few relatively good weapons, at least compared to Atlas anyway. One of the earliest legendaries you can get (very easy to farm) is a COV, and pretty goddamn awesome for the level, and the level 50 version isn't too shabby either.

The game has been so much more enjoyable since hitting 50, as many have mentioned here.

I think it helps a lot I understand how to traverse and read the map after so many hours though. Trying to read that map when I first booted it up was rough.

Also not having to worry about your favorite weapons becoming obsolete. Until UVHM anyway, if they ever release that mode.

Last edited:

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
They claim to have an unlimited mag size, but initially I took that to mean that they had unlimited rounds, but just overheated ala the original Mass Effect. All they do as far as I can tell is come with a mag that allows you to add more ammo (via ammo dump or random drops) than what you could have in other weapons of the same type at the time. The ammo count rises as you pick up more. Also, they do not have unlimited mag sizes, they are just relatively high and they don't need to be reloaded. Another thing, if you haven't already found this out yourself: they don't break once they overheat. There is just a short cooldown period before you can use them again.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the mag size is your ammo limit. So if you have a CoV pistol and your SDU cap is 600 rounds, that's the size of your mag and you can keep shooting until you run out of ammo in your backpack, with a cooldown every once in a while if you overheat. I haven't used them a ton, but I had an SMG one that had a high enough overheat threshold that I could shoot close to 500 rounds without needing to reload. It was my go-to gun for second winds for a while.

So it's not unlimited in the sense that you no longer have to worry about ammo. But it's unlimited in the sense that it's only capped by your max ammo carry count.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Not sure how common that is, but I tried doing the Slaughterhouse 3000 yesterday for the first time and one of the enemy spawned behind walls and got stuck there, meaning there was no way to complete the wave. Thankfully it was only the 3rd wave of the first round, but I can't imagine how frustrating that would be if it happened on the last round.
It is annoying. Try throwing a teleporting tracking grenade at them. Works every time (May take several grenades).

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the mag size is your ammo limit. So if you have a CoV pistol and your SDU cap is 600 rounds, that's the size of your mag and you can keep shooting until you run out of ammo in your backpack, with a cooldown every once in a while if you overheat. I haven't used them a ton, but I had an SMG one that had a high enough overheat threshold that I could shoot close to 500 rounds without needing to reload. It was my go-to gun for second winds for a while.

So it's not unlimited in the sense that you no longer have to worry about ammo. But it's unlimited in the sense that it's only capped by your max ammo carry count.

Yeah, that's what it is. I think I just never actually bothered to look at the max ammo count on the SDU as I would upgrade them. I would just buy whatever I had the funds for until I couldn't buy anymore for various weapons. I just knew that the ammo count was always higher for COV weapons as far as the magazine goes, and it also had a larger font. For whatever reason, it seemed like I was getting a lot more ammo in general though for those weapons compared to other pistols early on.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really just want to get to level 50 now. I'm 46 so hopefully it won't take long now that I have TVHM.

My buddy gave me a Phasezerker class mod so I'm ready to turn my Amara into a living death machine.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
It is annoying. Try throwing a teleporting tracking grenade at them. Works every time (May take several grenades).
This happened to me and a group on Cistern of Slaughter. Last round, last wave, last enemy...and it got stuck in a wall and we had no way of getting to it...

Dec 20, 2017
I really just want to get to level 50 now. I'm 46 so hopefully it won't take long now that I have TVHM.

My buddy gave me a Phasezerker class mod so I'm ready to turn my Amara into a living death machine.

If you really just want to get it over with, try going offline and farming whatever boss you can beat easily and quickly - I went 36-50 in less than an hour in TVHM on Mayhem 3 using that. Offline is important so you're not on their hot fixes.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gotten BL3 yet but I was wondering if updates that include improvements to performance have been released on console yet? (Specifically, PS4 Pro)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished first playthrough and rolled right over into TVHM and flipped on Mayhem. The idea that not everything scales to your level on the first play through is so dumb. I'm already switching up weapons way more bc the drops are actually my level.

Are all three mayhem modes available right away, or do you have to beat TVHM a few times?
Anointed enemies are such a pain lol. They should be dropping legendaries for the amount of time I spend killing them.

I do like mayhem on normal though, seems this should be the main difficulty from the start.
I feel that all the Borderlands games start on easy, and after you beat the game that first Vault Hunter mode is Normal.

They did do better on 3 with bosses scaling up somewhat after you beat them, and some areas depending on the side mission scaled up.

Nelson

Oct 1, 2019
California
CoV guns don't break once they overheat. There is just a short cooldown period

A literal cooldown period; you squirt your gun with a water pistol to cool it down. Every time I see that animation it cracks me up.

I'm enjoying Borderlands 3 now more that I finished the main campaign once. Partly I feel more free to jump around and play co-op with others. Partly I'm enjoying it more with Mayhem 1 and trying to finish side quests and collectibles. Once you finish the main quest everything level scales to you, so it becomes more like an open world game where you do quests at your choosing. I wonder if they ever considered making the whole game like that.

I agree with everyone that says the side quest writing is better than the main quest. Too bad. Something about the twins just never worked for me. The only interesting thing is the Big Reveal, and that's only interesting if you happened to do the right side quest stuff before hand.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking at Zane and FL4K skill trees....I'm about to play as one of them soon. Normally I go for a hunter that has health regen as a skill. And some type of extra device, ally. I feel like I need a health regen shield with Moze, if she had a regen skill I would probably mix up my shields more.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Uuh, has anyone else had problems speaking with Tannis during the Great Vault quest?
I can't progress anymore because she just won't speak to me.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
DefenselessEasyAidi-max-1mb.gif

Ahhhh, I think I finally figured out what went wrong. I'm guessing this was gonna be an october release until they caught wind MW was coming out then. That day 30 console patch is gonna tell me everything. It would be highly ironic if MW pushed BL3's release date up considering that red dead did the same thing to BO4.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I've been looking at Zane and FL4K skill trees....I'm about to play as one of them soon. Normally I go for a hunter that has health regen as a skill. And some type of extra device, ally. I feel like I need a health regen shield with Moze, if she had a regen skill I would probably mix up my shields more.
Picked Fl4k for the same reason and I don't regret it. I can kill stuff that should be out of my reach because the pet puts in work. It's neither fast nor pretty but it works.

Oct 25, 2017
Picked Fl4k for the same reason and I don't regret it. I can kill stuff that should be out of my reach because the pet puts in work. It's neither fast nor pretty but it works.

I thought the pets sucked ass endgame. That is what I keep seeing anyway. Same Moze's mech.

Ahhhh, I think I finally figured out what went wrong. I'm guessing this was gonna be an october release until they caught wind MW was coming out then. That day 30 console patch is gonna tell me everything. It would be highly ironic if MW pushed BL3's release date up considering that red dead did the same thing to BO4.

So we should be getting a performance patch in a week? I think Shadowkeep was delayed to move out of the way of BL3. Not sure BL3 would move for a MHW expansion.

mayhem 3 proving grounds coop fps is really rough on the pro :(

Are you running performance or resolution?

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So for this event, where should we be looking for the enemies that have rare drops? In areas or specific quests?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the pets sucked ass endgame. That is what I keep seeing anyway. Same Moze's mech.

So we should be getting a performance patch in a week? I think Shadowkeep was delayed to move out of the way of BL3. Not sure BL3 would move for a MHW expansion.

Performance of course

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
You know before me and my SO finished the first Vault, we were like there's no way this is the end, and we're sorta blown away at how fucking long tracking through side missions and playing the game has taken and we're only on the 2nd one.

Tho the gambling machines need to be nerfed. I've literally got 15 legendarys from gambling out eridium and cash. They drop way too frequently.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

Not MHW, COD: Modern Warfare. Performance patch will probably hit next week ya. We know that twitch integration (have to rewrite the plugin to work on console) and photo mode come with the 30 day patch

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly at the end of the story now, been pretty happy with Zane. Zero gave me a Lyuda for doing all his targets, and now I just have my Digi-clone spawn in wielding that while I run around and mop up with a shotgun. Still kind of slow against bosses, but eh. Should have no problem beating the game at least.
I liked the fake out after the boss-fight in the cathedral of the twin gods, with it seeming like there would be a cliffhanger, and then nah here's the rest right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly at the end of the story now, been pretty happy with Zane. Zero gave me a Lyuda for doing all his targets, and now I just have my Digi-clone spawn in wielding that while I run around and mop up with a shotgun. Still kind of slow against bosses, but eh. Should have no problem beating the game at least.
I liked the fake out after the boss-fight in the cathedral of the twin gods, with it seeming like there would be a cliffhanger, and then nah here's the rest right now.

That was weird and would have pissed me off. I wasn't fooled though. It was well done though.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
That was weird and would have pissed me off. I wasn't fooled though. It was well done though.

Same, I totally saw that coming the second the
popped up onscreen, but it still put a dumb smile on my face lol

If this is what ended up happening, then they made the right call.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Clap-Trap's slot machine been giving me tons of blue, green, and white class mods with only 1 Legendary Class mod for Moze. Luckily I have tons and tons of money lol. It's really weird how going offline seems to stop the game from giving you Legendary Class mods via world drops.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else running into an issue where opening the guardian rank tab softlocks the game? I'm just...forever stuck in this menu right now.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
lmfao, spent 10 eridian and got a level 42 bouncing pair. This is gonna take me to level 50 mayhem, easily.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Do we know what system the bank deletion bug is on? All confirmed systems?
Is there a correlation between doing offline farming and bank deletion bug?

Jan 4, 2018
Just got my hands on the Flakker and holy hell, this thing is wild! I slapped an Atom Balm artifact on for radiation bonuses and a class mod on for bonus Shotgun damage and I'm melting things in Mayhem 2 with Fade Away.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how some of these people would feel if a certain character was a boy instead of a girl 🤔

Some of these people and their hatred for said character rubs me the wrong way.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Just got my hands on the Flakker and holy hell, this thing is wild! I slapped an Atom Balm artifact on for radiation bonuses and a class mod on for bonus Shotgun damage and I'm melting things in Mayhem 2 with Fade Away.
The Flakker is so fun to use. Just endless air burst destruction.

Protip for those wanting to end money woes well before endgame, and buy up all SDU's.: You can do this in the 30's pretty easy without having to sell or dupe shit. With better loot in vending machines, decent grenade mods are often for sale. Keep an eye out for anything with two rolls of $ Money. Works best if it also has homing, even better with MIRV. From farming graveward I also had a +104% Cash pickup artifact. Then just spec into grenades as best as your character can and go find areas with tons of mobs and chuck grenades until everything is dead. I was getting 2.5 million a run just killing spider ants in Devil's Razor around the rare spawn spider ant place. It was so quick and easy. I can also help boost all my friends since cash pickups are for groups. I know money won't be an issue ever again after a certain point but it was fun just watching endless cash explode all over the place and max out SDU's in a quick play session. Now I can spend all my money on moxxi slots and not worry about picking up a bunch of trash to sell all the time.

Jan 4, 2018
Anyone got any good Rakk builds for FL4K? I'm still trying to make Fade Away work, but I kind of want to switch to Fade Away because the Hunter Skill legendary mods and the Rakk based Anointed perks seem like they have the best value. Is the Rakk build good at endgame with proper gear?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well I pulled my FL4K back out lol. Level 21, just passed Athenas and the next section is kicking my ass! I'm using all stalker build right now. I want to go Hunter/stalker and use Rakks and jabber or Spiderant pets. Maybe I should have gone Hunter first I may try that tonight

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
The Flakker is so fun to use. Just endless air burst destruction.

Protip for those wanting to end money woes well before endgame, and buy up all SDU's.: You can do this in the 30's pretty easy without having to sell or dupe shit. With better loot in vending machines, decent grenade mods are often for sale. Keep an eye out for anything with two rolls of $ Money. Works best if it also has homing, even better with MIRV. From farming graveward I also had a +104% Cash pickup artifact. Then just spec into grenades as best as your character can and go find areas with tons of mobs and chuck grenades until everything is dead. I was getting 2.5 million a run just killing spider ants in Devil's Razor around the rare spawn spider ant place. It was so quick and easy. I can also help boost all my friends since cash pickups are for groups. I know money won't be an issue ever again after a certain point but it was fun just watching endless cash explode all over the place and max out SDU's in a quick play session. Now I can spend all my money on moxxi slots and not worry about picking up a bunch of trash to sell all the time.

Cash-Infused Mirv Tracking Grenade, farm the Badass Saurians that spawn when fighting Graveward, kill the Jabbers and Corrosive bubbles for grenades = tons of money. Easy money for days.

Last edited:

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the matchmaking on pc sucks. Every single time I queue up it drops me in with people who are way farther in the story quest (usually 20-40 minutes of gameplay farther ahead). Like, I'm at the very beginning of the Atlas HQ portion of the Katagawa storyline (when you go from Skywell back to Promethea), and matchmaking keeps dropping me into a game where people have already beaten the boss. Not only that, but every time I go back to the main menu and re-queue, it matches me up with the same damn group, over and over again. What the fuck???

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
I have this weird bug on pc. When the main menu pops up after starting the game, the resolution seems to auto lower and i cant move my mouse past an inch of the bottom of the screen. The only way to fix it is by going into the options, lowering the resolution, then setting it back to 1080p. Any help?