• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing the free to play thing and chose Moze which is cool but the armor seems kind of weak. I have the grenade launcher and fist equipped. I also thought it was a robot that did things by itself like the guy with the turret from 2. Any of the characters have something similar like that?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm doing the free to play thing and chose Moze which is cool but the armor seems kind of weak. I have the grenade launcher and fist equipped. I also thought it was a robot that did things by itself like the guy with the turret from 2. Any of the characters have something similar like that?
The mech needs to be upgraded to be able to stay out longer, it also has a bubble shield that greatly increases its tankiness and has a perk where it can be used as an AI but only for 15 seconds.

FL4K has 3 different pets to choose from and Zane has a Clone and Drone.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
In bl3 if you have a class mode that gives you points in a skill you don't have unlocked does it still work? I know in bl2 it didn't.

Also Joltz has cleared M4 mailwan with tediore chuck moze

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up BL3, started off as Amara, and I'm having a hell of a time. Game's really fun, but also probably the least funny "funny" game I've played in a while. It's not like I'm cringing or anything, but a lot of these "jokes" are just... not funny? Either I'm missing something, BL3 isn't as funny as BL2, or BL3 is as funny as BL2 and I just outgrew this style of humor years ago.

Nelson

Oct 1, 2019
California
A lot of us who finished BL3 didn't love the writing of the main quest. The sidequests have better written jokes and storylines. Also the gameplay is (IMHO) very good. Main quest is not awesome. Also we all grew up a bit. Torgue, for instance, just isn't funny like he used to be.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A lot of us who finished BL3 didn't love the writing of the main quest. The sidequests have better written jokes and storylines. Also the gameplay is (IMHO) very good. Main quest is not awesome. Also we all grew up a bit. Torgue, for instance, just isn't funny like he used to be.

Torgue? I mean all he does in BL3 is small comments in the arenas. He still didn't have a chance to do real dialogue like his DLCs in BL2 or Tiny Tina.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This useless rando bitch. What stupidity has possessed you. YOU RUINED IT. YOU RUINED ME.

I see that fairly often. Why play collaboratively and not even try to help out a teammate who is downed? Teams would be so much more effective, not to mention more enjoyable, if it didn't feel like a bunch of loners who happen to be in the same place at the same time.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think FL4K survivability is better or at least as good as Moze. I died, got into FFYL alot more with her than FL4K.

The pets. Once you get to the skill where the pet can revive you? And I use Gamma Burst now. Fade Away isn't all that great IMO. I know they nerfed it but still.

The pet skills for FL4K are underrated.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Amara has the easiest time with Mayhem 4. Moze is not as good. Fl4k Hell no. Have you seen her new class mod in action? Has a Moze even soloed the raid on M4 yet? Amara was first. Best glass cannon does not make for best class. Amara has great DPS without sacrificing survivability.

Moze is not as good ? in which universe

I can solo the takedown in TVHM / Mayhem 4 with her in less than 20 minutes

Like literally the only thing that Amara has over Moze is the phaselock binds and its absolutely going to get nerfed down the line

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Like literally the only thing that Amara has over Moze is the phaselock binds and its absolutely going to get nerfed down the line
I probably didnt play my ties that bind build properly but what I did play was pretty terrible for bosses. Any class can be good at mobbing

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
No the humor is noticeably worse than BL2. Like yeah all games in the series have hit and miss stuff it's a staple, but BL3's writing is more akin to TPS than 2. Except they didn't even follow character arcs correctly in 3 soooo

Torgue spamming repeatable lines in an arena slaughter people play 50 times isn't going to ever be as funny as "THAT SENTENCE HAD TOO MANY SYLLABLES, APOLOGIZE". Part of that is due to the nature of his inclusion in 3 vs 2, and part of it is 2's humor had higher highs.

Imo of course

Sidequests are hit or miss though. You either get amazing stuff like the uprisen jabbers v saurian quest and the mordecai birthday one or endless trash like the portapotty and coffee ones.

3 is still easily the best game in the series for the gameplay and endgame alone though.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

Post your build holmes, I got a Moze friend who I feel could use the changeup since he last played when Porcelain was the go-to

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Post your build holmes, I got a Moze friend who I feel could use the changeup since he last played when Porcelain was the go-to

38Qjvb5.png

I got a cutpurse deathless, bloodletter mod with 3 in desperate measures / grenade damage, and electrical / fire / acid tediore shotguns transforming into Mirvs

You need a facepuncher with cutpurse to get ammo back by shooting things with it

I play with the bottom build because its much riskier and you can kill yourself by not being careful (which you can see in the video I made lol). Its quite impossible to die with the upper build by just chugging electrical tediore shotguns with a Transformer equipped, hence its boring and too safe, hence ... I don't play it

Last edited:

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
The menu is worse after the update. Not sure how its still this bad months after release.

also this game keeps crashing my x

Last edited:

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
I have had nothing but issues trying to MM for the Maliwan takedown.
I either get network errors and can't connect or will spawn with only one other player, who then quit's.
I have yet to have a full team of 4.
Also pls hurry up and fix the guardian rank skills not working. I so need "respawn after FFYL with full health and shields" back!
Frustrating.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Community complaining about nerfs and then wanting amara nerfed is the height of laughability
With M4 and Maliwan's I don't see why anyone wants anything nerfed anymore. I felt like I had Moze to a point where I could do well in M3. M4, however, is still slow going and Maliwan's kicks my ass unless I'm lucky with who I'm paired up with. I saw Zane got buffed a bit. Is he still not that viable compared to the others?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Zane seems like someone who is bottom tier unless you have all the right pieces in play then he catapults to... third string, unlike the rest who kind of have a "set it and forget it" casual setup

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Just started playing after a little bit of a break and my More's Iron Bear is actually getting work done at level 50. Before I would summon it and then it would explode.

Oct 25, 2017
Community complaining about nerfs and then wanting amara nerfed is the height of laughability

It really it is.

Ah you are jealous too and hoping for a nerf. Kinda pathetic, but good luck with that!

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm trying to understand the Do Harm skill of Amara. It says it will boost her next Action Skill used within the next 20 seconds, but most of her Action Skills(other than Phasegrasp) cooldown are over 20 seconds...so how does that work? Counting on guardian ranks or mods for reduced cooldown?

Edit : Just noticed the Restless skill just below, nevermind. I guess that would be enough.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely starting to think I'd rather have had a barebones narrative told mostly through quest descriptions a la Borderlands 1 than I would the "expansive and dramatic" story of BL3. This writing is just so awful. Is there a mandatory NG+ like in previous games, or is there more of a Diablo 3-style Adventure Mode so I won't have to suffer through that terrible story again?

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I'm genuinely starting to think I'd rather have had a barebones narrative told mostly through quest descriptions a la Borderlands 1 than I would the "expansive and dramatic" story of BL3. This writing is just so awful. Is there a mandatory NG+ like in previous games, or is there more of a Diablo 3-style Adventure Mode so I won't have to suffer through that terrible story again?
Ng+

demi

Oct 27, 2017

There's no NG+ unless you want to play THVM - once you beat the game you unlock Mayhem modifiers and can just keep playing and farming bosses and such.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to understand the Do Harm skill of Amara. It says it will boost her next Action Skill used within the next 20 seconds, but most of her Action Skills(other than Phasegrasp) cooldown are over 20 seconds...so how does that work? Counting on guardian ranks or mods for reduced cooldown?

Edit : Just noticed the Restless skill just below, nevermind. I guess that would be enough.

Between Restless, class mods and artifacts with cooldown reduction bonuses I can use Phasesgrasp or Phasecast again in less than 10 seconds. If I'm specced into Avatar I can use my action skill twice in row with no cooldown. My annonintments and AS activated damage boosting skills are being used almost non-stop. It's GLORIOUS. Once I get my hands on a Driver class mod....

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

I'm pretty sure it's just terribly worded, because it does boost the damage of the initial action skill and runs out even with cooldown stuff depending on how much CDR you have.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Between Restless, class mods and artifact bonuses I can use Phasesgrasp or Phasecast again in less than 10 seconds. If I'm specced into Avatar I can use my action skill twice in row with no cooldown. My annonintments and AS activated damage boosting skills are being used almost non-stop. It's GLORIOUS.
Restless is usually a waste of points with the way Gearbox handles cooldown stuff. The more cooldown modifiers you have the less useful Restless becomes. At a certain point even 5 points in it translates to like 1 second of reduced cooldown which is hardly worth it.

The subreddit is great for memes and casual discussion but the official gearbox forums have been invaluable for these games bc that's where all the math nerds are :p

Oct 25, 2017
Restless is usually a waste of points with the way Gearbox handles cooldown stuff. The more cooldown modifiers you have the less useful Restless becomes. At a certain point even 5 points in it translates to like 1 second of reduced cooldown which is hardly worth it.

The subreddit is great for memes and casual discussion but the official gearbox forums have been invaluable for these games bc that's where all the math nerds are :p

Nice to know thanks. I don't really use the meta builds. I just do own thing mostly so I'm definitely not optimally specced, but it gets me through M3 just fine. Might have to adjust for M4 though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nice to know thanks. I don't really use the meta builds. I just do own thing mostly so I'm definitely not optimally specced, but it gets me through M3 just fine. Might have to adjust for M4 though.
Yeah I dont follow other builds to a T but it's good to have knowledge on general info and stuff.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, fuck me. I don't think I want to slog through this shit twice. It's fun to play, but it's not funny, the story missions are overlong, and the writers clearly thought players would care more about the "drama" of the plot more than they actually did.
I think if they can get to the point where you can skip past cinematics then NG+ won't be so bad. Ideally they could also make it possible to skip all of the "go to the bridge, talk to Lilith, talk to Tannis, go to the dropship, etc..." as well.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Well, fuck me. I don't think I want to slog through this shit twice. It's fun to play, but it's not funny, the story missions are overlong, and the writers clearly thought players would care more about the "drama" of the plot more than they actually did.
To be fair NG+ isnt required to hit 50 and get level scaling this time. I'm only go through it once the last level cap increase gets added so I can have max level quest rewards items.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I think if they can get to the point where you can skip past cinematics then NG+ won't be so bad. Ideally they could also make it possible to skip all of the "go to the bridge, talk to Lilith, talk to Tannis, go to the dropship, etc..." as well.
Undoubtedly the best part of the BL2 community mod was the ability to go through the entire game without ever seeing a cutscene. Truly magical how much more quickly the game goes by when they're gone.
To be fair NG+ isnt required to hit 50 and get level scaling this time. I'm only go through it once the last level cap increase gets added so I can have max level quest rewards items.
Good to know. I'll ignore TVHM then.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not bothering with TVHM any time soon although I would really like a level 50 version of a few of those guns like Cloud Kill. The campaign is long and last 3rd just makes you want it to be over.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not bothering with TVHM any time soon although I would really like a level 50 version of a few of those guns like Cloud Kill. The campaign is long and last 3rd just makes you want it to be over.
Cloud Kill is the only good thing about Maya's role in the plot.

Just about everything else pertaining to that pissed me off, from how nobody criticizes Ava for her death (it's entirely Ava's fault), to how utterly stupid it is that I'm supposed to believe the Vault Hunter(s) just stood by and watched the Calypsos taunt Ava and Maya, and let Maya die.

When Roland died, it was shocking. You can see it coming, but there's no chance to react, Lilith lunges for Jack seconds after it happens, and Jack takes Lilith hostage to immediately ensure there's no way you can reasonably fight back against him. None of that is taken into consideration with Maya; it's just a cheap moment to play for shock value to get players reinvested in a story they very likely don't care about, especially by that point. Worst part is, the game shows no signs of an ending at that point, meaning you've got at least another ten hours to go when that would've been more impactful if it happened at the story's climax, leading to the falling action where you take revenge on the Calypsos and win.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud Kill is the only good thing about Maya's death. Just about everything else pertaining to that pissed me off, from how nobody criticizes Ava for her death (it's entirely Ava's fault), to how utterly stupid it is that I'm supposed to believe the Vault Hunter(s) just stood by and watched the Calypsos taunt Ava and Maya, and let Maya die.

When Roland died, it was shocking. You can see it coming, but there's no chance to react, Lilith lunges for Jack seconds after it happens, and Jack takes Lilith hostage to immediately ensure there's no way you can reasonably fight back against him. None of that is taken into consideration with Maya; it's just a cheap moment to play for shock value to get players reinvested in a story they very likely don't care about, especially by that point. Worst part is, the game shows no signs of an ending at that point, meaning you've got at least another ten hours to go when that would've been more impactful if it happened at the story's climax, leading to the falling action where you take revenge on the Calypsos and win.

Yeah that really pissed me off as a huge Maya fan. The writing in general was awful. Hopefully they can do better with the DLC, but I'm not counting on it. Thankfully this a game relies on gameplay and they nailed that.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I only did TVHM up to TRAUUUUUUUUUUNT just so I could do some farming.
Cloud Kill is the only good thing about Maya's role in the plot.

Just about everything else pertaining to that pissed me off, from how nobody criticizes Ava for her death (it's entirely Ava's fault), to how utterly stupid it is that I'm supposed to believe the Vault Hunter(s) just stood by and watched the Calypsos taunt Ava and Maya, and let Maya die.

I think it's implied that whole fiasco with Maya took place while the VH was in the vault, this they were not there and they could not do anything about it. Least that was the only way I could make sense of it.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
NOTE: I only played Campaign. I'm sure side missions and endgame will change my opinion for the good or the worse.

I tried Borderlands 3 weekend trial. Finished 17 out of 23 missions in first 2 days. Didn't feel like finishing it on Sunday as I've no idea what's happening in the story, nor do I give a damn about the story at this point.

The gameplay is GREAT. The bosses are some of the best. The gunplay is great. But, that's it.

A lot of characters are dull. I genuinely listened to every line and tried to like it (and there were great moments!) but it was rather dull. The ping system feels like a last minute thing and it sucks because there's so much they could've done with it. Seems it's a necessity in this game as it's hard to direct where to go or what to do without it. Its also a game that expects you to get a second wind, as it's not easy to tell when friendly goes down or request revive. Such a shame they didn't expand on the ping system for this as that would've solved a lot of issues with the game.

It also felt like they didn't balance the mid game. There was a time halfway through the game's campaign that the enemies were way higher difficulty than me, and the loot it was giving me was atleast 3 levels higher. It made me lose interest in the guns I was receiving since I couldn't use them anyway, and I was spending more time clearing my inventory than deciding what to keep.

Then these absolutely mundane and shitty mission styles that pissed me off to the extend that I didn't see the story progressing even an inch. Yes, you finally open vaults, two of them, but every weapon I looted I ended up selling because this vault loot was garbage. But that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that every mission is a "go here and talk to him. Oh you wanna talk to him, but he's not here. Go talk to her. Oh she tells you to find something for her. You go talk to someone else to get that fragment. But oh shit, the person died in a funny way, now the bandits are here, now you gotta drive to the opposite end of the game. Now kill bad guys. Now talk to him. Now talk to her. Now give her fragment. Now place the fragment. Now fight BOSS. Now talk to him. Now go back to ship. Now talk to him. Oh you think this mission ended? Think again! Ship is invaded. Now go kill baddies. Now talk to her. MISSION ENDED".

Holy fucking SHIT. Infuriating. So infuriating. Every time a mission is presented as Go get A from B, it becomes Go get A from B, but A is now in 10 different fragments, and the conversation is now between 10 different people, in ten different locations, in 10 different corners of the game world, killing enemies along the way.

The way the missions are designed, it was designed purposely to extend the mission length. Even with the absolutely great fast travel, things felt slow and sloggish. By the 12th mission, I don't think I cared about any weapons and I was happy with the Level 24 guns that I had, and I sure as shit didn't think the story was going anywhere to really care. I sold everything I looted, and stuck with 4 guns.

It's like it took influences from Destiny 2 and I don't think it helped it. The world felt linear in a long stretch of roads and lands with nothing in between and no reason to explore the between. The game also starts breaking apart towards the latter missions, with audio and mission glitches totally ruining the game. No sound, or just grunting sounds, or car constantly honking, or hearing multiple chat voices or really delayed voices or out of place voices, or mission not progressing because something glitched out, and you hope with each restart the glitch is not replicated or you just wasted time.

But I'm sure it's endgame is great, right? I heard it is.

Thanks for the free weekend, Randy. It was fun while it lasted. Will get it at $9.99 for that endgame.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I only did TVHM up to TRAUUUUUUUUUUNT just so I could do some farming.

I think it's implied that whole fiasco with Maya took place while the VH was in the vault, this they were not there and they could not do anything about it. Least that was the only way I could make sense of it.

If that was the case, they should have played the cutscene as soon as you entered the vault, not right when you left it while walking toward Maya & Ava. It's a simple fix they could do, but I doubt they'll bother.