• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Vault Hunter are you going with for your first playthrough?

• Moze the Gunner

Votes: 403 20.9%
  • Amara the Siren

Votes: 504 26.1%
  • Zane the Operative

Votes: 360 18.6%
  • FL4K the Beastmaster

Votes: 664 34.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So how's the Maliwan Takedown now that it's been scaled to number of players? Is it solo-able?
People were soloing it on mayhem 4 shortly after it launched before but yes it's possible for the average person now

I just coasted through it on Mayhem 1 with 0 deaths, gonna try Mayhem 2 next. I am with Amara and with some pretty good gear though so results may vary.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
So my friend and I got this over Christmas, and while in the past I only played BL2 for the campaign experiences, I actually want to try BL3 as a looter shooter.

My issue is that I... don't fully understand what the endgame is. I have a vague understanding that TVHM is like New Game +, and Mayhem modifiers increase loot chance in exchange for negative modifiers, but that's about it. What do you play after the campaign is over? How do you farm for specific loot? Additionally - what kinda loot should I keep an eye out for (currently a Fade Away Fl4k)?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So my friend and I got this over Christmas, and while in the past I only played BL2 for the campaign experiences, I actually want to try BL3 as a looter shooter.

My issue is that I... don't fully understand what the endgame is. I have a vague understanding that TVHM is like New Game +, and Mayhem modifiers increase loot chance in exchange for negative modifiers, but that's about it. What do you play after the campaign is over? How do you farm for specific loot? Additionally - what kinda loot should I keep an eye out for (currently a Fade Away Fl4k)?
Here's a gear guide for FL4K

Here's a spreadsheet of all the legendaries in the game and where their dedicated drop source is:

In past BL games TVHM was mandatory to get to level 50 and have scaled content but that isn't a thing now. I think the enemy health and damage values are exactly the same, the only thing that's different is the drop rate is very slightly improved and the elemental modifiers are different.
7nol2ltbvzm31.jpg

This can actually make TVHM slightly easier if you always element match. However I never even bothered going to TVHM and probably won't before the cutscene skip patch comes. It's a whole lot of time and effort that doesn't seem worth it. The one benefit it has over normal mode is you can reset all the quests again so you can get level 50 main quest rewards (which don't have anointments though and will be outdated when a level cap increase comes) and level 50 side quest rewards (assuming you did that particular side quest in the main game already and aren't planning on saving it for a later character down the line.

Endgame consists of a few things. Beyond maxing out all the SDUs and getting all the guardian rank perks + adding more guardian rank percentage bonuses there's

- not really an endgame type thing but I like to 100% the maps so that's discovering all locations, getting all the eridian writing/claptrap parts/crew challenges etc.

- the proving grounds which are short ~10 minute quests that have you fight in 3 different areas then go to a final boss and a chest at the end. There's 6 different ones each with different enemy types

- the circle of slaughters. There's 3 of these (one for beasts, one for bandits and one for maliwan) and these are wave based arena fights that are noticeably longer ~35-45 minutes but generally have more loot than proving grounds.

- the Maliwan Takedown raid. A series of mobs and 2 boss fights the second of which is probably the hardest fight in the game right now. For the next two weeks the difficulty is scaled to the amount of players but outside of that it's always scaled to 4 people so doing it on mayhem 4 solo is easily the hardest thing in the game

- farming specific bosses and mini-bosses for loot. People do these generally for their dedicated drops. There are a ton of them and thankfully currently all of the "rare spawn" ones have a much higher chance to actually spawn (might be 100%)

Basically the goal is to get an entire set of god roll gear for a specific build. That's weapons with the best possible parts that you want (it varies on personal taste/build/enemy you're facing etc.) for most DPS or utility or whatever along with the best anointment possible for your gear.

Everything can roll an anointment except for class mods. Anointments on weapons only count if you have that specific weapon equipped and in your hand but anointments for shields, grenades and artifacts (actually wait idr if artifacts have anointments on them) are always active. Or at least, it's always possible for them to be active no matter what weapon you have since a lot of them have specific triggers to activate (on action skill end, during x action skill, after killing an enemy etc.)

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a gear guide for FL4K

Here's a spreadsheet of all the legendaries in the game and where their dedicated drop source is:

In past BL games TVHM was mandatory to get to level 50 and have scaled content but that isn't a thing now. I think the enemy health and damage values are exactly the same, the only thing that's different is the drop rate is very slightly improved and the elemental modifiers are different.
7nol2ltbvzm31.jpg

This can actually make TVHM slightly easier if you always element match. However I never even bothered going to TVHM and probably won't before the cutscene skip patch comes. It's a whole lot of time and effort that doesn't seem worth it. The one benefit it has over normal mode is you can reset all the quests again so you can get level 50 main quest rewards (which don't have anointments though and will be outdated when a level cap increase comes) and level 50 side quest rewards (assuming you did that particular side quest in the main game already and aren't planning on saving it for a later character down the line.

Endgame consists of a few things. Beyond maxing out all the SDUs and getting all the guardian rank perks + adding more guardian rank percentage bonuses there's

- not really an endgame type thing but I like to 100% the maps so that's discovering all locations, getting all the eridian writing/claptrap parts/crew challenges etc.

- the proving grounds which are short ~10 minute quests that have you fight in 3 different areas then go to a final boss and a chest at the end. There's 6 different ones each with different enemy types

- the circle of slaughters. There's 3 of these (one for beasts, one for bandits and one for maliwan) and these are wave based arena fights that are noticeably longer ~35-45 minutes but generally have more loot than proving grounds.

- the Maliwan Takedown raid. A series of mobs and 2 boss fights the second of which is probably the hardest fight in the game right now. For the next two weeks the difficulty is scaled to the amount of players but outside of that it's always scaled to 4 people so doing it on mayhem 4 solo is easily the hardest thing in the game

- farming specific bosses and mini-bosses for loot. People do these generally for their dedicated drops. There are a ton of them and thankfully currently all of the "rare spawn" ones have a much higher chance to actually spawn (might be 100%)

Basically the goal is to get an entire set of god roll gear for a specific build. That's weapons with the best possible parts that you want (it varies on personal taste/build/enemy you're facing etc.) for most DPS or utility or whatever along with the best anointment possible for your gear.

Everything can roll an anointment except for class mods. Anointments on weapons only count if you have that specific weapon equipped and in your hand but anointments for shields, grenades and artifacts (actually wait idr if artifacts have anointments on them) are always active. Or at least, it's always possible for them to be active no matter what weapon you have since a lot of them have specific triggers to activate (on action skill end, during x action skill, after killing an enemy etc.)
Wow, thank for the super in-depth post, I really appreciate it.

Some questions: what's an anointment? A randomly rolled stat/perk on legendary weapons?

I didn't know Borderlands had raids, are they mechanic heavy, or just strong adds and bosses?

How do you farm a particular boss? To specify - how do you get any single boss to respawn?

Those TVHM elemental modifiers - are those for both incoming and outgoing damage?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wow, thank for the super in-depth post, I really appreciate it.

Some questions: what's an anointment? A randomly rolled stat/perk on legendary weapons?

I didn't know Borderlands had raids, are they mechanic heavy, or just strong adds and bosses?

How do you farm a particular boss? To specify - how do you get any single boss to respawn?

Those TVHM elemental modifiers - are those for both incoming and outgoing damage?
Anointments are basically like bonus perks on high level weapons and gear. They don't have to be legendaries though, can even spawn on whites. You'll know them when you see them though. It'll have an extra border and say anointed near the bottom of the item card. Or it could say Anointed Operative/Gunner/Siren/Beastmaster and those are perks that only that specific class can access. Like if you're FL4K you're not gonna get any bonus from an Anointed Gunner perk that gives you extra splash damage when you exit Iron Bear.

Unfortunately not mechanic heavy at all, requires maybe slightly more knowledge than a normal boss but otherwise it's basically group of mobs -> boss followed by group of mobs -> boss 2

I think they're adding something but as of right now the fastest way to farm a boss is to trigger a checkpoint station close to the area, kill the boss and then quit the game and launch it again. It's a massive pain especially for co-op modes.

And they're incoming and outgoing, although the only time the player ever has armor is if they're Moze in the Iron Bear mech. Otherwise it's shields and flesh.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Anointments are basically like bonus perks on high level weapons and gear. They don't have to be legendaries though, can even spawn on whites. You'll know them when you see them though. It'll have an extra border and say anointed near the bottom of the item card. Or it could say Anointed Operative/Gunner/Siren/Beastmaster and those are perks that only that specific class can access. Like if you're FL4K you're not gonna get any bonus from an Anointed Gunner perk that gives you extra splash damage when you exit Iron Bear.

Unfortunately not mechanic heavy at all, requires maybe slightly more knowledge than a normal boss but otherwise it's basically group of mobs -> boss followed by group of mobs -> boss 2

I think they're adding something but as of right now the fastest way to farm a boss is to trigger a checkpoint station close to the area, kill the boss and then quit the game and launch it again. It's a massive pain especially for co-op modes.

And they're incoming and outgoing, although the only time the player ever has armor is if they're Moze in the Iron Bear mech. Otherwise it's shields and flesh.
Gotcha, thanks. Do they only spawn from bosses/anointed enemies?

So nothing like a Destiny raid sounds like

That does sound tedious. So, after you kill the boss, you grab the loot and quit so you'll be back at that nearby checkpoint when you restart, yeah? Do you know if co-op lobbies stay together when the host quits?

I hadn't even considered that we don't get armour, lol. So I basically never really have to fear corrosive damage then?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gotcha, thanks. Do they only spawn from bosses/anointed enemies?

So nothing like a Destiny raid sounds like

That does sound tedious. So, after you kill the boss, you grab the loot and quit so you'll be back at that nearby checkpoint when you restart, yeah? Do you know if co-op lobbies stay together when the host quits?

I hadn't even considered that we don't get armour, lol. So I basically never really have to fear corrosive damage then?
Nope, have a higher chance to drop from more powerful enemies but they can be found in a garbage or off a normal mob

Yeah not really. I mean the final boss for this one has shielding where you have to find a way around it but it's not exactly rocket science

Yep you got it. However for proving grounds, the raid and circle of slaughter you don't need to quit the game I dont think. In fact I'm not even sure if you have to leave the zone or if you can just fast travel back to the starting point and start it over again. But yeah for bosses and mini bosses you do but I think I read somewhere that there are a few you don't need to quit out of now. And no idea about if it splits up the party although honestly i would recommend doing that stuff solo anyway just because of the annoyance. The raid, circle of slaughters and proving grounds are all a lot more conducive to co-op.

No not really as it'll do less damage than even kinetic/physical/normal damage, however it still applies a Damage Over Time effect that you don't want.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Anyone down to tackle Slaughterstar 3000? It's my last side quest to complete and I can't finish it solo and I always get matched with player that are level 5-15. DM if you're willing to help.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, have a higher chance to drop from more powerful enemies but they can be found in a garbage or off a normal mob

Yeah not really. I mean the final boss for this one has shielding where you have to find a way around it but it's not exactly rocket science

Yep you got it. However for proving grounds, the raid and circle of slaughter you don't need to quit the game I dont think. In fact I'm not even sure if you have to leave the zone or if you can just fast travel back to the starting point and start it over again. But yeah for bosses and mini bosses you do but I think I read somewhere that there are a few you don't need to quit out of now. And no idea about if it splits up the party although honestly i would recommend doing that stuff solo anyway just because of the annoyance. The raid, circle of slaughters and proving grounds are all a lot more conducive to co-op.

No not really as it'll do less damage than even kinetic/physical/normal damage, however it still applies a Damage Over Time effect that you don't want.
Thank you!

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Is the whole Maliwan Takedown scaling also coming with a Rare Enemy drop rate increase? Trying to farm for a Stormfront from El Dragon. Jr. Read that it's a rare spawn. Tried six times and he spawned each time. Dropped one Enter the Dragon and three Stop Gaps. This can't be right...

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is the whole Maliwan Takedown scaling also coming with a Rare Enemy drop rate increase? Trying to farm for a Stormfront from El Dragon. Jr. Read that it's a rare spawn. Tried six times and he spawned each time. Dropped one Enter the Dragon and three Stop Gaps. This can't be right...
It is, I remember they said some enemies were bugged the first day but they fixed that already. When did you farm him?

FWIW 6 times isn't enough to suss out RNGesus, plus at least he's an easy farm.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017

Mailwan scaling is definitely here, less enemies and easier enemies. I can blow through the raid on mayhem 4 with damage stacking in half the time with zero fear of dying.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Mailwan scaling is definitely here, less enemies and easier enemies. I can blow through the raid on mayhem 4 with damage stacking in half the time with zero fear of dying.
What build/gear are you using for M4?

I can do M3 with my Amara but it's risky enough that I'm just doing M2 for now.

I do M4 for non-raiding for her though.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
What build/gear are you using for M4?

I can do M3 with my Amara but it's risky enough that I'm just doing M2 for now.

I do M4 for non-raiding for her though.

I'm exploiting the brawler ward glitch for damage and using moze with a bloodletter with health regen to keep shields full. I can beat the raid in about 15 minutes.

Not exploiting I can beat the raid with Zane on M3 but tough.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
It is, I remember they said some enemies were bugged the first day but they fixed that already. When did you farm him?

FWIW 6 times isn't enough to suss out RNGesus, plus at least he's an easy farm.

Just finished farming him like a minute ago. About 60 attempts. He appeared every single time. That weird? Got around 15 Enter the Dragons, 10 various types of Stop Gaps, and 2 Stormfronts.

My absolute prize today, though, was getting a Juliet's Dazzle from a golden key use. It's just become my go-to weapon.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just finished farming him like a minute ago. About 60 attempts. He appeared every single time. That weird? Got around 15 Enter the Dragons, 10 various types of Stop Gaps, and 2 Stormfronts.
No the rare spawns should be appearing every time or almost everytime.

I meant it wasn't that weird that he didn't drop the item you were looking for after only 6 times lol

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
No the rare spawns should be appearing every time or almost everytime.

I meant it wasn't that weird that he didn't drop the item you were looking for after only 6 times lol

Ahhhhh...well then. I guess I misinterpreted what "rare enemy" locations were. LOL.

Also turns out I already had a Stomrfront tucked away in my Bank. Sigh.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Lol well now you've gotta farm for an anointed stormfront :p

Ehhhhhh...not sure I have that in me. Just re-spec'd to using a Deathless to take advantage of Desparate Measures. Curious to see how it helps with my damage output.

Anyone on Xbox One willing to help me out with one super quick thing? I need to win a single duel and then I've 1K'd the game. Anyone?

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
PS_Messages_20200118_182737.jpg

Ehhhhhh...not sure I have that in me. Just re-spec'd to using a Deathless to take advantage of Desparate Measures. Curious to see how it helps with my damage output.
Should help a lot honestly.

I'm exploiting the brawler ward glitch for damage and using moze with a bloodletter with health regen to keep shields full. I can beat the raid in about 15 minutes.

Not exploiting I can beat the raid with Zane on M3 but tough.
Oh an exploit would make sense lol. What Zane build are you using, the chain one? I got a radiation anointed operative Redistributor but it's for the clone switching and not barrier or drone :(

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
PS_Messages_20200118_182737.jpg

Should help a lot honestly.

Oh an exploit would make sense lol. What Zane build are you using, the chain one? I got a radiation anointed operative Redistributor but it's for the clone switching and not barrier or drone :(

Honestly, I was never able to beat Slaughterhouse 3000, and after my re-spec I just ran through it like a hot knife through butter. Used two guns - The Duc and Juliet's Dazzle. Tore through literally everything. Not sure if it was a bug, but the two bosses at the end each dropped a Legendary, but each on a platform I couldn't even reach. Really lame.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly, I was never able to beat Slaughterhouse 3000, and after my re-spec I just ran through it like a hot knife through butter. Used two guns - The Duc and Juliet's Dazzle. Tore through literally everything. Not sure if it was a bug, but the two bosses at the end each dropped a Legendary, but each on a platform I couldn't even reach. Really lame.
Well the lost loot machine fixes that issue.

But yeah lmao at launch I declared the slaughter star 3000 impossible solo even on normal no mayhem.

Now I can breeze through it on mayhem 3 lol. Granted I got a lot better gear and more guardian rank perks and the transformer specifically really helps there because the powerhouse heavies are still rediculous. I think they nerfed their shock trap so that helps too.

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Ah, true, forgot about the lost loot machine. I rarely pick up any loot, though, so those legendaries are probably lost to the ether.

Yeah, before today I could barely get through the first two rounds solo. So, feels good to finally check it off my list. It was my last side mission, so I polished off those achievements. Just had a dude from Mexico jump into my game and he let me beat him in a duel, so I've officially polished off all the achievements. I guess it's on to TVHM.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017

The chain one, I also have a radiation anointed redistributor that's not for Zane and a non annointed fire redistributor I got on one of my wotan runs today

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Hey, I just went to fight Traunt and he was still level 16, like when I originally fought him. Do you know how to make him scale up?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Hey, I just went to fight Traunt and he was still level 16, like when I originally fought him. Do you know how to make him scale up?
Gotta be at least Mayhem 1 or in NG+. Don't worry though you can easily do Mayhem 1 without any decent gear, can prolly do Mayhem 2 as well as long as you pay attention to the map modifiers.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ahhhh.

So... farm Graveward for now? (lvl 33 atm)
Some people do that but I personally find that boring as hell lol. If you have the season pass or the first DLC you can do that, after that I like to unlock the 6 proving grounds and complete them because then you can fast travel to them plus you get decent XP just for discovering them as it's part of a quest and they don't give any unique rewards so you don't have to worry about saving anything for level 50.

You also fight a variety of enemies and the whole thing gives decent loot, money and XP.

Don't sleep on doing some of the crew challenges (i.e. eridian writings, radio towers) that you come across either as those give a nice chunk of free XP.

All of that also applies to the circle of slaughters but those are harder and are a little more monotonous imo

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I tried doing the raid on solo M4 yesterday with my Phasegrasp Siren. What a mistake. Not because it's impossible, I did managed to reach Wotan, but because there is only a single respawn point in the middle of the map. If you die against Wotan, you have to do the 2nd half of the map all over again. I basically "ragequited" yesterday when I died against Wotan. Considering how long it takes to kill enemies on M4, no way I was going to do that all that again and probably die again.

Maybe I'll try it on M3 later today. At least, stuff dies fast in there.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Yeah, I've been pretty disappointed with the amount of little annoyances and bugs in BL3 considering how long the game had been in development. It feels really undercooked. I mean, even the menus are laggy as fuck. I don't remember Borderlands 1 or 2 feeling nearly this unpolished. Luckily I haven't run into any major bugs like my entire bank disappearing but I'm STILL getting randomly kicked out of Iron Bear as soon as I hop into him without any of the cooldown being refunded. The audio in particular has been a real mess, especially in co-op. Songs only playing for the host, audio dropping out entirely, everything sounding like we're underwater... I love the game but it just feels unstable and that's disappointing.

This. I've been searching online to see if there is any patch incoming that fixes the sound issues on PS4.
I've been playing co-op the entire game and it's a big mess with the music, sfx and voices. It's a shame, it really pulls you out of the experience.

Last edited:

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
This. I've been searching online to see if there is any patch incoming that fixes the sound issues on PS4.
I've been playing co-op the entire game and it's a big mess with the music, sfx and voices. It's a shame, it really pulls you out of the experience.

On PS4, I played through probably 75% of the game with no audio thanks to some random bug. My biggest annoyance was how enemies would/still get stuck in walls in the Circles of Slaughter. Have had 20+ instances of getting to the last round/wave of each only to find some random enemy clipped through a wall so we can't finish it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Ugh I got to Wotan's last phase on M4 with FL4K without any exploits then died

I still think there really needs to be a checkpoint before him

It would also be great if FL4K's pets weren't totally useless against him

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Protip: farm for a quasar before you do arenas. Will make you hate things less because it can kill OOB enemies

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Protip: farm for a quasar before you do arenas. Will make you hate things less because it can kill OOB enemies
Huh I have one but didn't think to use it that way.

Also can we take a moment to appreciate that even on Mayhem 4 there's no regenerating health enemies or slag or need to use moxxi weapons to overcome the healthgate.

God I love BL2 but what a shitshow its endgame was lol

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Huh I have one but didn't think to use it that way.

Also can we take a moment to appreciate that even on Mayhem 4 there's no regenerating health enemies or slag or need to use moxxi weapons to overcome the healthgate.

God I love BL2 but what a shitshow its endgame was lol
I love how I can actually run around and be A TANK. Instead of just getting 2 shotted

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped using this grenade because it just tosses enemies around as im trying to shoot them (although it's hilarious)

but now i have one equipped again because an annointed version dropped that does +25% damage, skill damage, and something else on grenade thrown for 6 seconds... so it seems pretty good to use.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I stopped using this grenade because it just tosses enemies around as im trying to shoot them (although it's hilarious)

but now i have one equipped again because an annointed version dropped that does +25% damage, skill damage, and something else on grenade thrown for 6 seconds... so it seems pretty good to use.
Yeah I had to give up using Amara's allure and the Qusar because while the CC was great trying to hit enemies was made much harder.

Anyway these secondary stats😗👨‍🍳
PS_Messages_20200120_193739.jpg

KoreanBBQ

Verified
Nov 29, 2017
So, is there any real benefit in playing TVHM? I finished off all my achievements, so right now I'm playing TVHM at Mayhem 3. For loot and such, should I just play Normal mode on M3/4, or am I getting any benefit from TVHM?

Oct 27, 2017
So, is there any real benefit in playing TVHM? I finished off all my achievements, so right now I'm playing TVHM at Mayhem 3. For loot and such, should I just play Normal mode on M3/4, or am I getting any benefit from TVHM?
I think you get a greater chance of having anointed gear drop on TVHM, not sure if it affects the actual drop rates

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
TVHM isn't that much better for legendary and anointment drops compared to normal from what I've seen.

It seems to me that the only difference is regarding elemental weakness/resistance of enemies.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Some random thoughts/changes I'd make to the game:

M1: No more white drops, no whites in machines, automatically upgraded to green
M2: No more level 49 drops, automatically upgraded to lvl 50
M3: No more greens, anointment rate increase, all named bosses and enemies always drop at least one legendary

I'd buff snipers (+50% dmg) and rocket launchers (+100% damage) to make them viable.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to farm for annointed Lucian's Call is such a drag. Running through Slaughterstar 3000 takes a while and then you're lucky if you even get a couple legendary drops the whole time, let alone that particular gun from the blue boss.

I love Lucian's Call for my FL4K. Crushes mobs in combination with his skills. I know Jakobs guns do more damage, but I honestly can't use them much because constantly pulling the trigger ends up hurting my hand.