• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok restarted my pc.
48 fps avg Ultra at 1440p

(Sigh) Coming from Gears 5, didn't expect this game to kick my pc's ass

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Titan xP
3900x
32 Gb ram average at about 42 fps on the benchmark at 1440p badass settings hope gameplay is better

Last edited:

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not gaining a lot of fps while switching to high either, game seems unusually demanding (based on the benchmark). Fuck and here I thought I would push it past 100fps lol

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Game is really pushing the gpu- 2080 running very hot at 1440p mix of high and ultra settings... over 75 degrees with very high gpu usage. Very strange given how the game looks... doesn't make sense for it to be so wholly demanding... seems very poorly optimized.

Love it how general artistic style (read: cartoonish) make people go "This doesn't look demanding at all, WTF?" :D

-----------------------------------------------

How general gameplay and cutscenes scale to UW, e.g. 3440 x 1440? In OT few have said there is weird letterboxing going on and/or cutscenes being tilted to left so scenes aren't as intended in them.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Love it how general artistic style
I don't think people are judging this game based off of its artistic style.

I mean, do you feel like the game should be this demanding technically as well? I'm not seeing anything from videos that would require anything that would make a 2080 sweat? We're talking about a 2080 here. There aren't exactly other options that are stronger than that card.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What gets me is the game doesn't feel smooth at all from the moment you get to the menu settings, the transitions feel laggy, that's on a Gsync monitor mind you.

May 29, 2018
9900k + 2080ti here turned off SSR and volumetric fog to maintain 60 fps and still get drops... Bad optimization?

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
Guess my factory overclock is unstable, had to slightly down clock to not get a crash...

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not convinced the game is as poorly optimized as people claim it to be in the thread. Put Volumetric fog and Material complexity on medium and watch your FPS skyrocket. It's literally those two options that are killers, that's it. They don't make the game look better anyway.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced the game is as poorly optimized as people claim it to be in the thread. Put Volumetric fog and Material complexity on medium and watch your FPS skyrocket. It's literally those two options that are killers, that's it. They don't make the game look better anyway.

I was thinking this based off of my experience with Assassins Creed and Monster Hunter. Going to give the game a try now.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so here are my specs/ results

RTX 2080 Super
9900k Stock
32gb 3200MHZ Ram
1440p

All settings high expect AA=off/AF=16%/Fidelity FX=off/Camera Blur=off/Object Blur=off
DX11

Average FPS = 87.05
Frametime AVG= 11.49

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Can spot with bare eye what material complexity does?

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing this, no matter if it displays 83 or 60 fps game is a laggy mess. So disappointed. Full Screen, Windowed, Vsync on or off, even tried going 1080p, turning down some settings to medium.

Going to do a clean install of the drivers see if it helps but been playing the latest release without trouble. If the pc version is like that can't even picture the PS4 one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Another BL game that kicks the hell out of PCs. BL2 still runs like crap on my 2080.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Yup can confirm now getting a locked 60 fps at 1440p with everything else at ultra

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
volumetric fog, foliage and texture streaming seems to be the main culprit

basically playing with texture streaming low / medium just makes texture load time longer but you wont get stuttering oddly enough. foliage in ultra also destroys fps

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I do suffer from one problem and it seems like people all over twitter have the same issue. Zooming in using a weapon drops my fps horribly for a second or two even if I put the game on lowest resolution and all settings minimum. Hopefully that can be patched.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall this being linked to draw distance? I always had stuttering on BL2 regardless of hardware, unless I dropped draw distance down a notch to high. Maybe that's still the case here?
No settings help it, I've been trying for a while and it seemed to be pretty common last time I looked into it.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, dropping volumetric fog and material complexity to medium works wonders for performance. I also dropped draw distance, terrain, environment, and foliage down to high and that helps too. None of those setting changes have any noticeable visual change.

At 3440x1440 I was struggling to hold 60, with dips down to 40 in Sanctuary. But with those settings changes above I am at a locked 60fps.

GTX 1080ti
9700k @4.6
32GB RAM

Here's a little visual comparison in the spot that was running worst for me (taken at 125% resolution scale, hence the lower performance):
All ultra settings:
48725301478_e527d6a730_o.png

Medium material detail and medium volumetric fog:
48725628346_dc2603008f_o.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Love it how general artistic style (read: cartoonish) make people go "This doesn't look demanding at all, WTF?" :D

Lol sure - that's exactly what I said... all I'm saying is after recently playing control w/ raytracing and gears 5, two games that in my eyes look quite a bit better, I'm pretty surprised that borderlands appears to be the more demanding game. The game, while very beautiful in the right conditions, still looks closer to borderlands 2 than it does to something like control imho.

Re: optimization, gears 5 uses the same engine and has a similar size/ scope to its levels yet performs quite a bit better than bl3. Has nothing to do with the art style (which look particularly good in this game) and more to do with how I feel it compares to recent games on the platform.

Last edited:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Can confirm Volumetric fog causes some fuckery.
Got an extra 20-40fps by turning it off
i7 8700@ 4.2Ghz
2080Ti Gaming X Trio
32Gb 3000mhz DDR4 Vengeance

Getting about 80-110 odd at 1440p mostly high few Ultra settings. 4K halves this at times and DX12 crashes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How much better does volumetric fog look at max? How much of a hit do you take by turning it down?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
How much better does volumetric fog look at max? How much of a hit do you take by turning it down?

I had it on high by default and was getting around 90fps. I turned it off and I average around 110fps with a 2080 @ 1440p. Honestly I have not noticed much by having it off other than the much better framerate.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess something messed up with Gsync. The game feels more fluild on my Samsung 4K tv than on my Acer monitor.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Can spot with bare eye what material complexity does?

Absolutely, go under a source of light and just swap your weapons, then compare between medium / ultra

The finesse of the material is much more increased, same about how light is interacting with said material. On my rig I lose 10 fps / get a micro stutter with very complex weapons just by swapping, lol

Looks fantastic in ultra tho

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018
I am having severe framepacing issues :(
This is the performance on a 2080ti ,8700k@5ghz and 32gb ddr4@3200mhz (in 1440p) ON THE LOWEST SETTINGS:

This is crazy bad :(

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I guess something messed up with Gsync. The game feels more fluild on my Samsung 4K tv than on my Acer monitor.

Some games do react badly to G-Sync. If in doubt you can turn G-Sync off for that game with an Nvidia / Inspector profile ('Force Off' or 'Fixed Refresh Rate', I can never remember the right one).

Aug 17, 2018
are u running in full screen mode?
yes I am, Borderless is even worse.

I am getting like 30 different framerates per second which obviously feels very stuttery.

EDIT: WTF, when I set the resolutionscaling to 50% I am getting the exact framerate as before, but my hardware isn't utilized as much as before... maaaan there is something really broken with this game :(

EDIT2: Ok I changed to DX12 and it is much better now and finally playable because the framerate is higher, the framepacing is much better and my hardware is finally being utilized. So if you are having performance issues I highly recommend trying dx12.

Last edited: