• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Epic is so bad they are actually briliiant because it now looks like developers/publishers want it both ways. They will take the better split but it seems like some don't want to pass on those savings to customers. Perhaps this was a way to show that, just like how they caused all that kerfuffle with console crossplay and Fortnite.
Crazy how it could almost actually make sense that Epic want to show us that we really shouldn't care too much about studio/publisher by showing us that they sure as hell don't care about us.

EGS allowed us to see that some of them are :
- removing their game from a ( better ) store even when it was already in prepurchase
- willing to do that for their crowdfunded games
- won't pass any of the benefits, to the consumer in any way or form
- will actively prevent their game from going on a discount which costed them nothing, "just in case" it might devalue their game during preorder

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How are you given the bad end of any stick by purchasing a game from a digital store. Eventually it will come to other stores you just have to wait just like console to PC games have delays. I am assuming 90% of the people they simply care about cheaper games. Most people use discord or some other variant of chat and communication for gaming.

I'm not defending them they have a shit storefront but I'm not going to sit here with a tinfoil hat on and miss out on playing a game that I like because it's on an inferior store that's just silly IMHO.

Hardcore gamers that care about this stuff are a real minority. Of course the people on forums will bitch and moan but the general public doesn't care at all.

These are not real problems to me. Does it suck yeah, but let's be real so many other things in the world to be upset by that a game being locked to a storefront isn't high on my list of actionable causes.

I am getting the end of the stick when my game is more expensive because the store competition is killed by exclusive deals. I am getting the end of the stick because said exclusive deal is to push the worst launcher on the market that is below 2009 standards. You readed it well: 2009 standards.

You don't care ? Good for you. I care. I care when a company is trying to enforce higher prices and worse conditions for me. Said company can fuck off.

As for the last part: You're in a video game board. Of course people will talk about that stuff. As for people not caring:
Considering the huge numbers of headlines, publishers adressing it and THQ Nordic last financial: I think a LOT of people cares. And I'm glad they do. And I'm glad Metro Exodus performed worse on PC because of that exclusivity deal.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am getting the end of the stick when my game is more expensive because the store competition is killed by exclusive deals. I am getting the end of the stick because said exclusive deal is to push the worst launcher on the market that is below 2009 standards. You readed it well: 2009 standards.

You don't care ? Good for you. I care. I care when a company is trying to enforce higher prices and worse conditions for me. Said company can fuck off.

As for the last part: You're in a video game board. Of course people will talk about that stuff. As for people not caring:
Considering the huge numbers of headlines, publishers adressing it and THQ Nordic last financial: I think a LOT of people cares. And I'm glad they do. And I'm glad Metro Exodus performed worse on PC because of that exclusivity deal.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they were happy with exodus results when everyone was saying it was going to die.

In fact they say that the epic store is giving them the best digital sales of all platforms. Hardly bombing

Last edited:

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
here, not my image.

cPBJCGk.jpg
Trust and Randy Pitchford go hand in hand...

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they were happy with exodus results when everyone was saying it was going to die.
50% chance that you are actually wrong because there are no validated numbers which show a good or bad result. We know pretty much nothing.
In fact they say that the epic store is giving them the best digital sales of all platforms. Hardly bombing
In fact that's not what they are saying. You might want to read the quote again.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
Because every store conducts a sale. Its one of the things 'stores' actually do. A company can sell its products at a discount and still be wildly anti consumer by forcing the customer to either buy from its store or never buy it(for one year) by actively contracting other companies to 'remove' their products from other stores.
They're doing everything they can to compete with Steam. It's not a level playing field, how else do you propose they compete with a storefront which has a stranglehold on the PC marketplace?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They're doing everything they can to compete with Steam. It's not a level playing field, how else do you propose they compete with a storefront which has a stranglehold on the PC marketplace?

By having a unique point that isn't "you can only buy this game here now." GOG is doing a pretty bang up job all things considered. Have you read about their new client? Crazy what kind of nifty features you can come up with to compete when you can't just throw money at all your problems.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

If You mean they're doing everything they can do loose all the customer goodwill and conducting a lot of anti consumer business practices? Then yes you would be right. You say it like steam is holding the PC market as hostage lol while the reality is that the customers use or prefer steam worlds apart than any other launcher/storefront. Why? because its the most consumer friendly storefront/launcher with a lot of features being offered to the consumer that helps them a ton when playing PC games on the platform. I never bought any game until steam came and changed that, it made really easy for me to buy PC games.

Honestly you're statement about them doing everything they can to compete with steam couldn't be more empty and void because their actual platform to complete with steam lacks basic features such as a gotdamn shopping cart, that shit is 6 months ahead in their roadmap. SIX. MONTHS. They're busy in making timed exclusive deals for 3rd party multiplatform games while their own platform is in pathetic condition, barebones and barely offers ANYTHING for the consumer. Hell even uPlay and origin are better stores/launchers than EGS. It is a complete level playing field why? Because epic got that boat load of cash and its their choice how they invest it. All i see is most of it being spent on these exclusive deals that is bleeding epic money and not much on their own store/launcher. If they had any intent on actually giving their all when trying to compete with steam they surely would've..

• Fully develop, test basic storefront features that are the standard for launchers these days before actually launching
  • Had the launcher to consist of a feature set that atleast rivals steam in terms of quality and quantity
  • Not have to make these cheap ass third party timed exclusive deals that force the consumer to buy the PC version only on the EGS even when its in pathetic shape and having this mindset of buying out there competition to crush steam.
  • Have a pro-consumer focus even if they want to give back to devs, you must never forget the consumer. A market runs due to fact that the consumers buy shit from it.
  • Communicate properly with its partners regarding deals and discounts before prematurely conducting a big event such as a month long sale on its store.
  • Don't be an ass to its customers, give them as much freedom as you can to choose where they can buy from while improving your own services and eventually getting on par with steam
  • Think of all this as a long term investment to compete/overtake steam by luring customers to your platform without applying any sort of force. Think of ways that not only benefit the developers but consumers as well. Try to find a balance instead of making shitty decisions like having no forums or reviews.
If Epic could've achieved all these points only then i would agree that they are doing everything they can do compete with steam, now if you say otherwise then i would be inclined to disagree with your opinion and not take it seriously

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
By having a unique point that isn't "you can only buy this game here now." GOG is doing a pretty bang up job all things considered. Have you read about their new client? Crazy what kind of nifty features you can come up with to compete when you can't just throw money at all your problems.

Pretty sure GOG reported some not so great news fairly recently after it was confirmed that there were layoffs due to financial troubles. Just because they are still around doesn't mean they are "doing a pretty bang up job".

I would argue however, GOG was a better storefront when they focused primarily on legacy titles.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is kind of crazy that it is taking them this long to fix up the store's mistakes but I guess it shows how integrated those issues are. I mean they are still manually processing certain elements and the fact they couldn't even have seperate sale prices is just nuts.

This sale sucks though for myself who lives in Australia. Just having that shitty double whammy of USD price and regional price means the discounts equal out to the regional price without USD conversion. Yay?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

By offering something that's beneficial
to customers.
Starving superior storefronts of games and forcing customers to use your shit store, isn't competition that benefits me or anyone else on PC.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Valve's dominant position in the PC marketplace is because they simply offer by far, the best service/platform for PC games. How should Epic or any other company respond? BY ACTUALLY PUTTING IN EFFORT INTO MAKING A BETTER PLATFORM/SERVICE THAN STEAM. EGS doesn't even have a damn shopping cart and you are claiming that they are doing everything they can to compete with Steam? C'mon now.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

Let's look at everything Steam currently offers:

* Client
* Storefront
* Wishlists
* Shopping cart
* Store Page customization including videos & player streams.
* Friends
* Groups
* Steam Voice
* Profile Pages you can customize
* Marketplace to sell items
* Steam Cards
* Steam Input for GOAT controller support even in games that don't natively support controllers and can aid the handicapped with sharable controller setups.
* Valve Anti Cheat for developers
* Steam Matchmaking with NAT punchthrough for developers
* Reviews on the store page to aid consumers
* Great refund policy
* Forums for every game
* Gift Cards (that Valve takes a loss on)
* Gifting in general
* Steam Wallet
* 80+ different payment methods that Valve eats the high transaction fees for rather than passing it onto the consumer
* Regional pricing in 35+ currencies
* Optional Steam DRM
* Steam Keys so that developers/publishers can sell their games on other storefronts without Valve taking a cut and give the consumer pricing options
* Steamworks to push updates whenever developers/publishers want on their own
* Community hubs
* Store announcements
* Steam Curators
* Steam Overlay
* Steam Screenshots
* Steam Guides
* Steam Streaming
* Steam Cloud
* Steam Achievements
* Steam Game Stats
* Steam Leaderboards
* OpenID support
* DDoS protection for developers
* Steam Guard
* Steam Mobile Auth
* Steam Mobile Chat App
* Steam Workshop
* SteamVR
* Preloading
* Offline Mode
* Full DLC support
* Price adjusting bundles
* Steam Proton which has turned Linux into a viable gaming platform

Here's the things Steam is currently working on:
* Redesigned client
* VACnet, a machine learning anti cheat.

OK now let's compare, here's what Epic currently offers:
* Client
* Storefront
* Friends
* Refund policy
* 47 payment methods that they pass the transaction fees onto the consumer rather than paying themselves.
* Regional pricing in 9 currencies.
* Preloading
* Offline Mode
* Bought exclusive games.

Here's what Epic is working on:
(1-3 months from now)
* DLC support
* Cloud saves
* DLC addon purchase checks
* Videos on the store pages
* Search by genre/tag in the store
* Store Page Redesign
* Track playtime
* Humble Bundle integration
(4-6 months from now)
* User Reviews that companies opt into allowing
* Wishlists
* Newsfeed
* Price Adjusting Bundles
* Additional payment methods
* Additional currencies
* Mod support for games
(6+ months from now)
* Achievements
* A goddamn shopping cart, the most basic store feature of all time
* Social Overhaul
(Date TBD)
* Automatic refunding
* Gifting
* Android Store App
(On-going)
* Buying more exclusives.

So assuming they complete everything on their Trello on time (which is a big ask because they've already not done that a ton), in 6+ months from now Epic will still be extremely far behind Steam on feature support at even a basic level.

It is disingenuous to say that Epic is "doing everything they can" to compete with Steam. Steam is the best because of it's features, stuff like Steam Input is necessary for handicapped people to have an optimal experience they might not otherwise be able to get, Steam Proton is necessary to open up a gaming library on Linux, etc etc.

To answer your question, Epic should compete by actually focusing on their client and thinking of how to provide value to consumers beyond exclusive games. Right now the client feels like an afterthought when it is missing so many basic things, I legit can't think of any digital store off the top of my head that doesn't have a shopping cart man. It's not like Epic is devoid of manpower or money to throw at the client to correct this either, they are immensely larger than Valve and yet it feels like they honestly have less people working on their client than Valve does Steam.

I think most people who complain about EGS are in the same boat as me here, if Epic focused on providing something actually unique of value to the consumer that isn't just an exclusive game and genuinely showed an effort to be more consumer friendly people would use it. Personally I use Steam, I use GOG, and I use Origin because those platforms all offer something unique that makes them worth using. EGS has nothing, and honestly it has genuinely less than nothing when we're not getting a shopping cart for another half year or gifting until who knows when and they'd rather make the consumer pay more on transaction fees than be willing to eat losses for their consumers like their competitors do.

I would love to add EGS to my platform list if they gave me a real reason to do it.