• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is the saddest part, knowing that the store is utter shite yet still rewarding Epic for their fuckery because they are having a sale they never wanted to do in the first place. What this sale has no doubt shown Epic is that if they throw enough money around and bribe enough people then features no longer matter, only price cuts. Sad state of affairs.

Epic is moving to take over PC gaming by making themselves the only option, while providing the user with a piss poor experience.
Having purchased a couple games from them, the entire Epic Store experience feels inferior. There's literally nothing to do. I would've liked to see what actual World War Z and Ashen customers were saying about those games, but you can't. I'd like to see some video snippets, but there's nothing. It's the absolute worst storefront I've used, and why should they care? They're taking over thanks to a steady flood of microtransaction money.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The difference being if a competitor for Amazon launched with a bare bones store lacking important features they would get laughed out of town. We've seen so far that the EGS has been an absolute shambles. It's a rushed store that is trying to brute force it's way on to a platform that doesn't need them. Epic are taking a loss during this sale just to drive customers to their store, problem is once the sale ends there is nothing to keep these new customers from going elsewhere because of how badly the whole store has been mismanaged. They aren't trying to build a customer base but rather buy one and it's not something we should be rewarding.

Then by your assesment they will not last or will be forced to improve. Until then consumers will continue to look at prices as their main motivation and weigh the odds agaisnt what they want in a store. Or they can look at it like hundreds of millions already do, go to where the content is even though many of those hardware makers also use brute force tactics or offer inferior products.

Epic is moving to take over PC gaming by making themselves the only option, while providing the user with a piss poor experience.
Having purchased a couple games from them, the entire Epic Store experience feels inferior. There's literally nothing to do. I would've liked to see what actual World War Z and Ashen customers were saying about those games, but you can't. I'd like to see some video snippets, but there's nothing. It's the absolute worst storefront I've used, and why should they care? They're taking over thanks to a steady flood of microtransaction money.

Well if you want feedback Hayes is a great game. Nothing wrong with coming to foums like this to actually talk about the content.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
If Epic was greedy and consistently anti-consumer, the Epic Mega Sale wouldn't be a thing.

I agree on your very last sentence though.

Because every store conducts a sale. Its one of the things 'stores' actually do. A company can sell its products at a discount and still be wildly anti consumer by forcing the customer to either buy from its store or never buy it(for one year) by actively contracting other companies to 'remove' their products from other stores.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Then by your assesment they will not last or will be forced to improve. Until then consumers will continue to look at prices as their main motivation and weigh the odds agaisnt what they want in a store. Or they can look at it like hundreds of millions already do, go to where the content is even though many of those hardware makers also use brute force tactics or offer inferior products.

I already know I'm pissing in the wind by responding to you and no matter what anybody says or any amount of silly shit Epic pull is going to change your mind BUT - Under normal circumstances the EGS wouldn't last, literally ZERO reason to use that store under normal circumstances and purely because it does absolutely NOTHING to differentiate itself from every other store out there. It's arguably one of the worst PC stores around at the moment, it's an actual fucking early access store.

But we both know the EGS is operating in anything but normal circumstances. This isn't trying to build a customer base through trust and great features this is a financial titan heavily loss leading and offering customers less for their money. Like it's not even debatable, other than the people with no regional pricing on other stores you factually get less for you money by using the EGS. But I mean hey let's just hand wave it because that's just the way it is and everybody needs the hottest new releases.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already know I'm pissing in the wind by responding to you and no matter what anybody says or any amount of silly shit Epic pull is going to change your mind BUT - Under normal circumstances the EGS wouldn't last, literally ZERO reason to use that store under normal circumstances and purely because it does absolutely NOTHING to differentiate itself from every other store out there. It's arguably one of the worst PC stores around at the moment, it's an actual fucking early access store.

But we both know the EGS is operating in anything but normal circumstances. This isn't trying to build a customer base through trust and great features this is a financial titan heavily loss leading and offering customers less for their money. Like it's not even debatable, other than the people with no regional pricing on other stores you factually get less for you money by using the EGS. But I mean hey let's just hand wave it because that's just the way it is and everybody needs the hottest new releases.

Not to be totally dismissive but $10 for Hayes was a pretty good deal. A game like Borderlands 3 will look more closely on since it can be played with other people and then i would want a host of features. I've only bought Hayes so far but Outer Wilds looks good and that is only $15 right now.

Oct 31, 2017
Because every store conducts a sale. Its one of the things 'stores' actually do. A company can sell its products at a discount and still be wildly anti consumer by forcing the customer to either buy from its store or never buy it(for one year) by actively contracting other companies to 'remove' their products from other stores.

This isn't the kind of sales we're used to see though as Epic is putting their own money on the table ($10 per game). It's a move that is both pro-consumer and pro-developer, clearly not something a greedy and consistently anti-consumer company would do !

And nobody is forcing you to buy a game from their store, your PC is still an open platform at the end of the day. Games being removed from other stores is indeed unfortunate but if developers/publishers are signing a contract, it means said contract is a great deal for them.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
This isn't the kind of sales we're used to see though as Epic is putting their own money on the table ($10 per game). It's a move that is both pro-consumer and pro-developer, clearly not something a greedy and consistently anti-consumer company would do !

And nobody is forcing you to buy a game from their store, your PC is still an open platform at the end of the day. Games being removed from other stores is indeed unfortunate but if developers/publishers are signing a contract, it means said contract is a great deal for them.

So even a company like Activision allows sales of its games even though its touted as an 'evil' and a 'greedy' company and Epic's sales are just a lot of hot cash from fortnite to burn really..they're ready so sacrifice small amounts of cash in return to get a bucket load of it from the consumers and overtaking steam in the public eye. Short term investment means possibly attracting a horde of customers to your store. What i will admit is that their ambitions are BIG and their efforts to overtake steam are BIG as well as aggressive but only that they're going at it the wrong way.

If i want to buy a game and its taken off the other platforms, iam 'forced' to buy it on a shitty platform or not buy it at all. Forcing the consumer to wait a year for a game that was previously on sale on the other platform is anti-consumer. Also using different ways such as a sale event is solely done for attracting customers to buy on their own store which means a lot of cash goes into their pocket and not in Steam's afterall they want to make money.

Oct 31, 2017
So even a company like Activision allows sales of its games even though its touted as an 'evil' and a 'greedy' company and Epic's sales are just a lot of hot cash from fortnite to burn really..they're ready so sacrifice small amounts of cash in return to get a bucket load of it from the consumers and overtaking steam in the public eye. Short term investment means possibly attracting a horde of customers to your store. What i will admit is that their ambitions are BIG and their efforts to overtake steam are BIG as well as aggressive but only that they're going at it the wrong way.

If i want to buy a game and its taken off the other platforms, iam 'forced' to buy it on a shitty platform or not buy it at all. Forcing the consumer to wait a year for a game that was previously on sale on the other platform is anti-consumer. Also using different ways such as a sale event is solely done for attracting customers to buy on their own store which means a lot of cash goes into their pocket and not in Steam's afterall they want to make money.

Overtaking Steam in the public eye... Please, that won't happen anytime soon (if it ever happens in the first place). Even if Epic is burning a fraction of their Fortnite cash with this sale as you said (why do we care where that money comes from by the way ?), it's still a pro-consumer/developer move at the end of the day.

And nope, you're not forced to wait a year, you just have a choice to make: support the dev on Epic and/or wait for the steam release and support them there. Whatever you choose, you're not being forced to do anything here. And if said game was previously on sale on Steam like Metro Exodus, I'm pretty sure that anyone who pre-ordered it there got their copy as expected.

Of course, they want to make money with their store but with this sale, developers are making the same amount of money as if there was no sale (and Epic's cut is smaller as we all know) so Epic is pretty much boosting their sales at no cost for the devs.

Edit: and Activision allowing sales of their own games is normal and pretty different to Epic, a company that has its own store and is selling their games and third party ones.

Last edited:

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Overtaking Steam in the public eye... Please, that won't happen anytime soon (if it ever happens in the first place). Even if Epic is burning a fraction of their Fortnite cash with this sale as you said (why do we care where that money comes from by the way ?), it's still a pro-consumer/developer move at the end of the day.

And nope, you're not forced to wait a year, you just have a choice to make: support the dev on Epic and/or wait for the steam release and support them there. Whatever you choose, you're not being forced to do anything here. And if said game was previously on sale on Steam like Metro Exodus, I'm pretty sure that anyone who pre-ordered it there got their copy as expected.

Of course, they want to make money with their store but with this sale, developers are making the same amount of money as if there was no sale (and Epic's cut is smaller as we all know) so Epic is pretty much boosting their sales at no cost for the devs.

Edit: and Activision allowing sales of their own games is pretty normal and pretty different to Epic, a company that has its own store and is selling their games and third party ones.

Forcing the game off steam that isn't their IP is pretty damn anti consumer and a first in the PC digital space. Its forcing 'choice' upon the consumer. Surely you do know that in gaming waiting a year for a new game that used to be on that other store, waiting a year for it to come back there isn't same as saying that no, choice is still being forced on the customer regardless if he can wait a year or more. With this logic of yours you could say that if a new game that was previously on one store is removed and is exclusive for a decade on another store, the consumer can still choose to wait a decade for that to come to the other platform. You're taking the choice part in pretty black and white terms... who would wanna wait a decade for that game to come to the other platform really.. now with this example iam not actually trying to compare timed exclusivity periods of 1 year and 1 decade but just making the point that simply forcing that choice on the customer to wait a long period of time such as a year is still pretty anti-consumer especially if the game was already on sale on that other store. Using black and white terms doesn't negative the anti-consumerism of Epic at all when it comes to consumer habits and their patience. Epic set the period to a year probably after studying gamer buying habits. Its absolutely forced.

Oct 31, 2017
Forcing the game off steam that isn't their IP is pretty damn anti consumer and a first in the PC digital space. Its forcing 'choice' upon the consumer. Surely you do know that in gaming waiting a year for a new game that used to be on that other store, waiting a year for it to come back there isn't same as saying that no, choice is still being forced on the customer regardless if he can wait a year or more. With this logic of yours you could say that if a new game that was previously on one store is removed and is exclusive for a decade on another store, the consumer can still choose to wait a decade for that to come to the other platform. You're taking the choice part in pretty black and white terms... who would wanna wait a decade for that game to come to the other platform really.. now with this example iam not actually trying to compare timed exclusivity periods of 1 year and 1 decade but just making the point that simply forcing that choice on the customer to wait a long period of time such as a year is still pretty anti-consumer especially if the game was already on sale on that other store. Using black and white terms doesn't negative the anti-consumerism of Epic at all when it comes to consumer habits and their patience. Epic set the period to a year probably after studying gamer buying habits. Its absolutely forced.

Again, nobody is forcing you to do anything. It's on you if you don't play a game you wanna play for one or ten years (that example was ridiculous)... And Epic didn't put their gun on the devs who signed with them. If devs are signing deals with them, it means that their contracts are very attractive.

And like I said, if a game is pulled off steam because of an exclusivity deal, anyone who pre-ordered said game should get it as expected. So that's not an anti-consumer move as the consumer got what he paid for.

Yeah, it's a first in the PC digital store but that doesn't mean it's anti-consumer, the market is evolving and you should probably get used to it because it's only the beginning :P

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Again, nobody is forcing you to do anything. It's on you if you don't play a game you wanna play for one or ten years (that example was ridiculous)... And Epic didn't put their gun on the devs who signed with them. If devs are signing deals with them, it means that their contracts are very attractive.

And like I said, if a game is pulled off steam because of an exclusivity deal, anyone who pre-ordered said game should get it as expected. So that's not an anti-consumer move as the consumer got what he paid for.

Yeah, it's a first in the PC digital store but that doesn't mean it's anti-consumer, the market is evolving and you should probably get used to it because it's only the beginning :P

Forcing the game off one platform thats well built and only placing it in your store which is in pathetic, barebones shape IS anti consumer. With my examples and the point i was trying to make, i've already explained it to you and also the fact that the 'ridiculous' example was made to make a point to you. Making the customer wait to purchase a product on a platform that caters to their needs is anti-consumer. Why? Because Epic decided on that exclusivity period probably after researching consumer buying habits and how long before they cannot resist buying a new game on a store. Its still forcing the customer to make that choice. A year of wait is pretty damn long and its absurd if you think that the customer can easily wait a year for a game that was pulled from the store. It doesn't matter if they honor the pre orders or not, 'removing' a game from a store to put it on your shit store is disgusting and publishers, developers don't dictate how to the market works, the customer does. Epic has made countless attempts to devolve that market into a closed garden like the console market but no, the PC consumer market has resisted such entities in the past and so it will resist any such entities in the present or the future.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019

Ah yes forcing the game to be put on a pretty bad store that hardly has anything going for jt other than having those exclusives is completely pro-consumer.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017

Yes moneyhatting already crowdfunded games that were partially funded based on offering Steam and/or GOG keys and now making the people who helped the game happen in the first place wait an extra year for their platform of choice is totally pro-consumer

Oct 31, 2017
Forcing the game off one platform thats well built and only placing it in your store which is in pathetic, barebones shape IS anti consumer. With my examples and the point i was trying to make, i've already explained it to you and also the fact that the 'ridiculous' example was made to make a point to you. Making the customer wait to purchase a product on a platform that caters to their needs is anti-consumer. Why? Because Epic decided on that exclusivity period probably after researching consumer buying habits and how long before they cannot resist buying a new game on a store. Its still forcing the customer to make that choice. A year of wait is pretty damn long and its absurd if you think that the customer can easily wait a year for a game that was pulled from the store. It doesn't matter if they honor the pre orders or not, 'removing' a game from a store to put it on your shit store is disgusting and publishers, developers don't dictate how to the market works, the customer does. Epic has made countless attempts to devolve that market into a closed garden like the console market but no, the PC consumer market has resisted such entities in the past and so it will resist any such entities in the present or the future.

Wait, so a dev signing a deal with Epic to have their game on EGS is anti-consumer ?

Ah yes forcing the game to be put on a pretty bad store that hardly has anything going for jt other than having those exclusives is completely pro-consumer.

Epic isn't forcing the game to be put on their (bad) store though.

Yes moneyhatting already crowdfunded games that were partially funded based on offering Steam and/or GOG keys and now making the people who helped the game happen in the first place wait an extra year for their platform of choice is totally pro-consumer

Risks are part of the game when you back something. I guess you're talking about Phoenix Point, right ? Aren't backers getting an Epic key at the very least ?

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Risks are part of the game when you back something. I guess you're talking about Phoenix Point, right ? Aren't backers getting an Epic key at the very least ?
Crowdfunding is a matter of trust. Going all "lol it's a risk" while true is pretty short sighted in that regard if you ever plan on using it to fund another game.

All backers get an EGS key + year of free DLC (we have no clue what that means exactly) and an additional Steam key 12 months later, free of charge.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
No, just paying out large sums that publishers wouldn't refuse cause it's money, with all the cases in which the dev teams don't even get knowledge of the deal until everyone knows.
The semantics can be argued upon, but I don't see how from any angle you look at this, customers are getting any benefits. If that isn't anti-customer, what is?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Wait, so a dev signing a deal with Epic to have their game on EGS is anti-consumer ?

Again, simply signing a deal isn't anti-consumer, you know why i call it as one don't you? I've explained this already to you. Forcing a customer to buy games in your half-baked ecosystem by removing it from other digital platforms is anti-consumer. At the very very least Epic is intentionally limiting choices for the consumer for buying games that Epic doesn't own or develop by removing those games from other stores. 'Limiting consumer choice' itself is anti-consumer and thats what Epic is guilty of doing and the disgusting part is, its own store isn't even one bit worthy to have all those games as the one and only destination to buy those. Its really shitty and empty.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
So... is it at all possible to preorder BL3 for PC right now or does pulling it off EGS make it only for consoles right this very second?

Oct 31, 2017
Again, simply signing a deal isn't anti-consumer, you know why i call it as one don't you? I've explained this already to you. Forcing a customer to buy games in your half-baked ecosystem by removing it from other digital platforms is anti-consumer. At the very very least Epic is intentionally limiting choices for the consumer for buying games that Epic doesn't own or develop by removing those games from other stores. 'Limiting consumer choice' itself is anti-consumer and thats what Epic is guilty of doing and the disgusting part is, its own store isn't even one bit worthy to have all those games as the one and only destination to buy those. Its really shitty and empty.

Well, consumer choice isn't limited as PC is an open platform: nothing is stopping you from buying game X on Steam, game Y on Gog and game Z on EGS.

Their store is "shitty" and they're most likely working on it while it's becoming less and less empty so I guess it'll stop being disgusting to you soon enough :P

Crowdfunding is a matter of trust. Going all "lol it's a risk" while true is pretty short sighted in that regard if you ever plan on using it to fund another game.

All backers get an EGS key + year of free DLC (we have no clue what that means exactly) and an additional Steam key 12 months later, free of charge.

I kickstarted quite a few games already knowing full well what could happen. Thankfully, all the games turned out great (only Shenmue 3 is missing). It's true that funding another game would prove to be quite difficult if the devs fucked up with their first project.

Those devs did great though.

No, just paying out large sums that publishers wouldn't refuse cause it's money, with all the cases in which the dev teams don't even get knowledge of the deal until everyone knows.
The semantics can be argued upon, but I don't see how from any angle you look at this, customers are getting any benefits. If that isn't anti-customer, what is?

I don't know but devs signing with Epic like Supergiant means they got a great deal, something seemingly better than releasing their game on steam day one.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Well, consumer choice isn't limited as PC is an open platform: nothing is stopping you from buying game X on Steam, game Y on Gog and game Z on EGS.

I think they may be more talking about choice of store to get a good price:

Compare/contrast

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/borderlandsiii/info/

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/vampiremasqueradebloodlinesii/info/

Edit: Actually, BL3 is not the most illustrative - I'm sure 2K leveraged their own weight as well as the weight of the game itself to get better terms. This is more illustrative of how consumer choice is limited by exclusives, when it comes to finding a good price.

Last edited:

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
I don't know but devs signing with Epic like Supergiant means they got a great deal, something seemingly better than releasing their game on steam day one.
Getting paid millions to put your game on a launcher is a better deal you don't say. Perhaps could be due to those millions being paid in the first place to cover up for the sales it'd make on steam.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

Their store is "shitty" and they're most likely working on it while it's becoming less and less empty so I guess it'll stop being disgusting to you soon enough :P

Don't you think What Epic is currently doing goes against what makes PC an open platform where you can and should be able to buy a game from any store? More than half of the people against Epic's actions are up in arms solely due to the fact that what Epic is doing is endangering that Openness of PC and they've been involved in a number of events that scream 'forced' and 'anti-consumer'. If it was a game that Epic made and owned it then i can atleast understand if they made it exclusive to their platform regardless of its state but 3rd party games removed from other stores due to Epic is really disgusting because its a huge blow to the openness of PC. Openness doesn't mean that a company that do whatever the hell they like and conduct any sort of behavior they want to if that behavior endangers consumer choice big time. Generally when people praise the 'openness of PC', they mean how open the PC market is when it comes to consumer choice and any paid features that seem to basic necessities for a platform are not blocked behind a paywall as opposed to the console market which is the total opposite of the PC market thats why you see an uproar from the PC community whenever issues like 3rd party exclusivity, paid mods rise because they totally go against what makes the PC market great.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

A dev signing a deal with Epic to have their game exclusively on EGS is anti-consumer

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're missing the part where Epic has initially listed the price as 2.99 (using your example), making it look like that was the official price.

So epic can't list the standard price and show the discount for the sale next to it? I mean doesn't every store have this ability??

I can see it as a problem if they just blanket list the price as 12.99 msrp when it's on sale but should actually show 22.99 msrp because that can be a contractual problem.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So epic can't list the standard price and show the discount for the sale next to it? I mean doesn't every store have this ability??

I can see it as a problem if they just blanket list the price as 12.99 msrp when it's on sale but should actually show 22.99 msrp because that can be a contractual problem.

I recall Sony pulling titles off of Amazon too because they did not want the Prime price listed so now I think once you add it to your cart then the price shows up. With Borderlands 3 it sounds like it's good old fashioned price protection and Epic seemingly having no experiece at all on how to run a store likely wasn't upfront with publishers about the new sale.

I personally don't see many others running to work with them now, not after the public rants from Epic about publishers being greedy.

Oct 31, 2017
Getting paid millions to put your game on a launcher is a better deal you don't say. Perhaps could be due to those millions being paid in the first place to cover up for the sales it'd make on steam.

If those millions only covered up the sales that dev would get on steam, I'm not sure they would sign with EGS. We can only speculate on what is included in said contracts but I think there's even more money involved.

Don't you think What Epic is currently doing goes against what makes PC an open platform where you can and should be able to buy a game from any store? More than half of the people against Epic's actions are up in arms solely due to the fact that what Epic is doing is endangering that Openness of PC and they've been involved in a number of events that scream 'forced' and 'anti-consumer'. If it was a game that Epic made and owned it then i can atleast understand if they made it exclusive to their platform regardless of its state but 3rd party games removed from other stores due to Epic is really disgusting because its a huge blow to the openness of PC. Openness doesn't mean that a company that do whatever the hell they like and conduct any sort of behavior they want to if that behavior endangers consumer choice big time. Generally when people praise the 'openness of PC', they mean how open the PC market is when it comes to consumer choice and any paid features that seem to basic necessities for a platform are not blocked behind a paywall as opposed to the console market which is the total opposite of the PC market thats why you see an uproar from the PC community whenever issues like 3rd party exclusivity, paid mods rise because they totally go against what makes the PC market great.

Well, at the very least, I'm more than ok with the uproar concerning paid mods.

The PC being an open platform is why Epic can sign exclusive deals. It just didn't happen until now.

If it was a game that Epic made and owned it then i can atleast understand if they made it exclusive to their platform regardless of its state but 3rd party games removed from other stores due to Epic is really disgusting because its a huge blow to the openness of PC.

How do you feel about Rocket League then ?

You almost sound gleeful about this.

Not at all, I have more games on Steam and Gog than EGS.

A dev signing a deal with Epic to have their game exclusively on EGS is anti-consumer

Well, I disagree.

What? Epic is deliberately throwing money around to stop you from buying on other stores. They're killing choice, and making themselves the only option.

Nope as you can still choose to buy a game now, later or never.

Epic is giving an option to the devs and said devs are the ones deciding if it's worth it or not.

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
There's a very good chance this sale violated the presale pricing agreements with big retailers and it caused the publishers issues.

Best Buy offering a $10 preorder credit is different than advertising $10 off a game. Most likely caused BB, target, etc to throw a fit and forced the pubs to either take a $10 hit on their retail sales or pull for duration of sale.

This here, folks are blaming the publisher but I imagine a lot of trouble is being brewed up by other retailers who are not going to be happy with this heavy discounting

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

The PC being an open platform is why Epic can sign exclusive deals. It just didn't happen until now.

Like i said what epic is doing with these exclusive deals goes against the openness of the PC market. Sure it didn't happen until now but now that its happened, PC gamers won't budge either, it will get resisted a ton.

I feel shitty really about Epic buying up the Rocket League studio tbh.. we all know what they're gonna do once we reach fall and then fully take it off steam. Its not as bad as making 3rd party games exclusive that you don't own but even then this shows again and again then Epic is only interested in throwing its fortnite cash around and not actually making an effort to improve its ecoysystem swiftly and making it a priority.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where is the uproar with Microsoft, EA games, Ubisoft, they are doing the same things. Locking their games to a platform. The only difference here is EGS is buying timed exclusive third party titles.

It's shitty yes, but the PC gaming community is fragmented worse than consoles now anyway.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Where is the uproar with Microsoft, EA games, Ubisoft, they are doing the same things. Locking their games to a platform. The only difference here is EGS is buying timed exclusive third party titles.

It's shitty yes, but the PC gaming community is fragmented worse than consoles now anyway.
wow this point has never been made before how insightful and original

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

☝️

There's your answer.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If those millions only covered up the sales that dev would get on steam, I'm not sure they would sign with EGS. We can only speculate on what is included in said contracts but I think there's even more money involved.

Not at all, I have more games on Steam and Gog than EGS.

Well, I disagree.

Nope as you can still choose to buy a game now, later or never.

Epic is giving an option to the devs and said devs are the ones deciding if it's worth it or not.

And people want it to remain open. People like when a platform is open yes. And that openess means that anyone can release things. But it doesn't mean that openess should also allow other actors to restrict that openess.

Oct 25, 2017
So... is it at all possible to preorder BL3 for PC right now or does pulling it off EGS make it only for consoles right this very second?
Currently there are keys available on Humble Store and Green Man Gaming, which are stores that Epic has specifically signed a deal with. Both of these are at full price.

This deal is bad for consumers as Humble Store is not allowed to give their 10% discount for Monthly Bundle subscribers that they normally give for every game and even stacks with other discounts. Green Man Gaming did feature a 10% discount for a short time when the game became available for pre-order, which is lower than what they usually provide but now there seems to be no discount at all.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow this point has never been made before how insightful and original

I never stated that but it's true everyone is all over epic games for doing the same thing all the others stores do. We get it you hate the store it's basic, barebones, it's not "steam" so what. They will grow steam wasn't steam either when they launched.

I'm not defending epic because I personally don't like no options for purchasing games, but epic is trying to do something good for developers. Are they making mistakes sure like everyone but some of you are acting like they punched your 2 year old in the stomach with your hatred.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Keep it coming. This keeps on giving and giving. I feel like Fallout 76 and EGS kept my laughter alive throughout the last 10 months

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I never stated that but it's true everyone is all over epic games for doing the same thing all the others stores do. We get it you hate the store it's basic, barebones, it's not "steam" so what. They will grow steam wasn't steam either when they launched.

I'm not defending epic because I personally don't like no options for purchasing games, but epic is trying to do something good for developers. Are they making mistakes sure like everyone but some of you are acting like they punched your 2 year old in the stomach with your hatred.

No fuck given if it means I'm getting something worse. I dont care about the state of Steam in 2004. It's 2019. We have new standards. Internet isnt the same anymore. People are rightful to be angry when they get the end of the stick. If people were far less leniant in the gaming industry, half of the crap we're getting wouldn't fly. But no.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently there are keys available on Humble Store and Green Man Gaming, which are stores that Epic has specifically signed a deal with. Both of these are at full price.

This deal is bad for consumers as Humble Store is not allowed to give their 10% discount for Monthly Bundle subscribers that they normally give for every game and even stacks with other discounts. Green Man Gaming did feature a 10% discount for a short time when the game became available for pre-order, which is lower than what they usually provide but now there seems to be no discount at all.

I checked Amazon and it looks like there is no discount at all on the consoles either. Seems to me they are doing everything they can to keep the prices at suggested retail.

Deleted member 1481

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curitiba/PR - Brazil

Thank you for understanding why we're complaining against the Epic Games Store and their attempts of purchasing games exclusivity to the EGS store for up to a year, stopping us from purchasing the games on other stores (Steam / GoG).

This practice goes against the open platform that PC has been for the last decades, hence the backlash.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for understanding why we're complaining against the Epic Games Store and their attempts of purchasing games exclusivity to the EGS store for up to a year, stopping us from purchasing the games on other stores (Steam / GoG).

This practice goes against the open platform that PC has been for the last decades, hence the backlash.

True but let's not pretend the PC is an open pardadise and everyone plays nice. One of the reasons I bought a freesync monitor for example is it's affordability but if I were to buy an Nvidia card it's not being utlized at all. As for Epic putting out money for third party exclusivity I think too much focus is on Epic andc not enough on the developer/publisher who signed the deal. I think it's far easier to target one company and make them the evil empire when at the end of the day a developer/publisher will go to where they think is what's best for them. Or maybe they jsut want to take a stance against the standard 30% fee.

I think eventually Epic is going to have to invest in more acquisitions to remain relevant and we can all see by the purchase of Psyonix that many don't like that direction either but Fortnite is not going to support them forever.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
everyone is all over epic games for doing the same thing all the others stores do

The only difference here

123-1235180_anime-reaction-images-thinking-anime-png.png

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

EGS has to compete now, not with the digital distro of 15 years ago.

I mean, the simple fact is that Epic are squandering the good that they could have done with their pro-developer stance by pushing a store that isn't ready by any stretch of the imagination. If they really wanted to help devs, they would've built the store up, listened to devs, produced a quality UX for consumers, and convinced gamers to buy from there. Much like, say, Humble have done.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EGS has to compete now, not with the digital distro of 15 years ago.

I mean, the simple fact is that Epic are squandering the good that they could have done with their pro-developer stance by pushing a store that isn't ready by any stretch of the imagination. If they really wanted to help devs, they would've built the store up, listened to devs, produced a quality UX for consumers, and convinced gamers to buy from there. Much like, say, Humble have done.

Maybe Epic is so bad they are actually briliiant because it now looks like developers/publishers want it both ways. They will take the better split but it seems like some don't want to pass on those savings to customers. Perhaps this was a way to show that, just like how they caused all that kerfuffle with console crossplay and Fortnite.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No fuck given if it means I'm getting something worse. I dont care about the state of Steam in 2004. It's 2019. We have new standards. Internet isnt the same anymore. People are rightful to be angry when they get the end of the stick. If people were far less leniant in the gaming industry, half of the crap we're getting wouldn't fly. But no.

How are you given the bad end of any stick by purchasing a game from a digital store. Eventually it will come to other stores you just have to wait just like console to PC games have delays. I am assuming 90% of the people they simply care about cheaper games. Most people use discord or some other variant of chat and communication for gaming.

I'm not defending them they have a shit storefront but I'm not going to sit here with a tinfoil hat on and miss out on playing a game that I like because it's on an inferior store that's just silly IMHO.

Hardcore gamers that care about this stuff are a real minority. Of course the people on forums will bitch and moan but the general public doesn't care at all.

These are not real problems to me. Does it suck yeah, but let's be real so many other things in the world to be upset by that a game being locked to a storefront isn't high on my list of actionable causes.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Imagine if PS4 required you to load an entirely different menu system, different store, different user account, different friends list, different set of trophies, etc for every publisher. And they all have different features, some missing friends lists, others missing party invites etc. Also they're all running spyware services in the background, degrading performance.

That's what PC gaming is right now. I hate it. Steam is solving these problems and the publishers + Epic are actively wrecking it.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

No they are not. They keep games to their platform those they own the IP of and is their property while Epic keeps all those 3rd party multiplatform games exclusive to their platform when they don't even own the IP and hasn't developed those games.