• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
New news, new thread.

Without explanation from either Epic or Gearbox, preorders for Borderlands 3 have been suspended on Epic Store. Where previously there was a pre-order button with pricing information available, it now simply says "coming soon". This seems to coincide with the sale whereby Epic were giving customers a $10/£10/equivalent in local currency discount on games in their store.

It's for real this time. There was a false alarm a while ago.

56MNZdy.png

As recently as a few hours ago it was still available for purchase, with the discount

I6jk2Fm.png

Randy Pitchford appears to have deleted his tweets discussing this sale (although I don't have any screenshots of those tweets, did anyone else happen to save them?)

This is the fourth thing to go wrong coinciding with this sale. First Ubisoft games got pulled from sale reportedly due to a uPlay integration issue. Then games from Paradox/Klei got removed from sale on the Epic store completely (Paradox have said that Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 will return after the sale). Hades from Supergiant has had a bit of a rollercoaster of pricing shenanigans, including increasing the base price during the sale, which has thankfully been reversed.

It's not clear if there will be any way to get the discounted preorder price again prior to launch. There's not been any clear communication from any relevant parties about what is going on with this game.

Hopefully Randy Pitchford will be able to explain what is going on here in a calm and rational manner.

Edit:
Randy's now deleted tweet promoting the discount
here, not my image.

cPBJCGk.jpg

Last edited:

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
When I looked earlier today BL3 was at $60 vs all other games having the sale price. T2 probably gave them a nice talking to.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Imagine being such a greedy dev that you remove your game during a sale (a sale that doesn't even impact your bottom line, btw) until that sale ends.

giphy.gif

Anyway, Monday's Jimquistion is gonna be FIRE.

OP
OP
LewieP

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
When I looked earlier today BL3 was at $60 vs all other games having the sale price. T2 probably gave them a nice talking to.
I think the change you were seeing there was the discount not being mentioned on the front page/game page, but it was (to the best of my knowledge) still available with the discount, until the game became unavailable entirely.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Lol it is clear that epic has no clue what they are doing with the store my god what a mess.

Epic is fine. Pubs/devs are simply taking this the wrong way.

This is pushing the EGS in a big way which will only help the exclusive games. Devs think it devalues their games but what's the point in holding the game'd value when there's no one shopping the store.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I copped what I wanted before all this happened.

What the fuck is going on?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they aren't able to set sale discounts on a per-game basis is wild. That should have been considered when they designed the storefront's backend.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Epic: Let's do something that benefits both customers and developers all the same!

Developers: Bitch, you thought.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to thank Epic and Tim "delboy" Sweeney for a most entertaining sale. It has truly been amazing how a Company such as Epic can fuck up in so many ways, bravo, truly bravo.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Turns out developers don't like consumers getting a piece of the pie too, even when it's coming out of Epic's pockets and not theirs!

Even more reason to wait for their games to hit bargain prices before buying.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting more entertainment out of watching the fallout from this sale than I would get from buying any game in it. XD

barksi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EGS Mega sale is like a battle royale game. You start with 100 games on sale... but the question is..which game will be the last survivor

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
What the hell man. This is the most ridiculously weird digital sale I've ever seen.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, and I was so excited about this sale at first, a genuinely good move by Epic, benefitting both consumers and publishers.

A couple of days ago I was convinced to finally spend some money on EGS, but at this point there will be nothing left to buy when I get paid. I wouldn't be surprised if they just ended the sale early at this point.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I really don't understand why devs are pulling the sale brings attention to game and only financially hurts epic with the $10 off coming from their cut.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I thought Tim and those championing the EGS claimed we would be seeing lower prices as consumers due to the bigger cut they give. Yet we haven't seen it yet and now games are bei g unable to be purchased, or in Hades case, prices constantly rising to fight off this sale. Explain to me how this is good for competition and for consumers again?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why devs are pulling the sale brings attention to game and only financially hurts epic with the $10 off coming from their cut.

And I'm sure Gearbox got a lot of preorders with this 10 bucks sale. It's just stupid. They're getting paid the same, why even take it out?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This just shows that it's the publishers who are dictating it really as Epic is fine with it.
They don't want to apparently devalue the game pre launch (whatever that means because it gets them more sales right now at the same cost, so more people will buy it now instead there will be people who'd just go "I'll wait for it to go on sale again"), which is kind of strange in borderland's case cause it was already being discounted on GMG to a similar degree (regional pricing considered).