• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Predictions?

• 96-100

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • 91-95 (Same as Borderlands 2)

Votes: 197 17.5%
  • 86-90

Votes: 457 40.5%
  • 81-85 (Same as Borderlands)

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • 76-80

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 34 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 14, 2018
Would be surprised if this ends higher than mid 80's. I think it's going to get hit hard by reviewers for being more of the same, 7 years later.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Based on the game quality I'd expect around the same as Borderlands 2, but I'm sure the controversy will factor in and the scores will be a bit lower.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just asking, but...

Shouldn't a review thread made near embargo release for convenience...?

It's 5 hours more by the time I posted this. : |

Oct 27, 2017
Man, how did BL2 ever get a 91?! I bought the Handsome Collection recently having not played the series at all besides a brief stint with the first, and most things about it feel really mediocre. Level design is fine, fairly uninteresting, but not actively bad. The shooting feels bad (I've been playing a few hours) and enemies tend to be damage sponges who barely t react to getting shot. I'm hoping this will change once I get better weapons. The driving is incredibly crap considering it has the same controls as Halo, and while the co-op stuff is cool it's not enough to excuse all the other ways (key things for an FPS) in which it feels undercooked.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Suprised by the low predictions in here. I just dont see how this scores lower than 86.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just asking, but...

Shouldn't a review thread made near embargo release for convenience...?

It's 5 hours more by the time I posted this. : |

The person who made the thread pointed out he will be out for some hours, so he got the thread online in advance. Of course mods may lock this thread for a couple hours while we wait, it happened in the past.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I pre-ordered yesterday. On that basis it will score low but be absolutely brilliant fun to play!

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nothing in the footage has looked that impressive to me, it looks like more of the same. Not a bad thing, but not something to get really excited about.

Its an FPS looter-shooter. Can I ask what differences you think it should/could make? Its amazing how this gets trotted out. Next "cinematic 3rd person game" I'm going to demand its radically different or reviewers should mark it down for being "yet another boring 3rd person cinematic styled game".

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'm thinking around 85.

After TLOU and GTAV got 95+ in 2013, reviewers have gotten a lot harsher. I feel that an 89-90 is what 93 or so used to be, and that a score around 85 is what 88-90 used to be.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Its an FPS looter-shooter. Can I ask what differences you think it should/could make? Its amazing how this gets trotted out. Next "cinematic 3rd person game" I'm going to demand its radically different or reviewers should mark it down for being "yet another boring 3rd person cinematic styled game".
I love how defensive some people get about these things...

BL gunplay feels weak, imo. I enjoyed the structure of BL2, but the gunplay didn't grab me. And while they seem to have improved this, it still seems to be the similar low impact ballizion guns that never feel as fun to fire as they are in concept.

I would have liked them to make some fundamental changes, not refine something that, imo, wasn't anywhere near the best in class.

Opinions.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I feel it will end up in the high 70ies. Seems like it hasn't really evolved from what it was all those years ago, and that might hurt it.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Do you think 5 hours is not near embargo?

I was thinking it would be better like 15 or even 5 minutes before embargo ended, so we don't have to do Metacritic polls & such...

Just straight to review scores.

I would assume if future The Last of Us Part II review thread like this, first couple of pages would be marred by that, in my opinion.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The enemies don't have to be bullet sponges with minimum reactions.
The level designs can be different.
There can be better multiplayer activities.
There can proper raids, rifts, high level content that doesn't just require spamming a ridiculously OP boss for a while.
There can be actual gameplay variety in the weapons, without them feeling like 3-4 different guns plus the elemental stuff that changes its after effect.
There can be more dynamic content that offers unpredictability.
There can be better AI.
There can be a shooting that feels more modern, more in line with what games like Titanfall, Halo 5, modern Call Of Duty games, etc. brought to the field.
There can be deeper RPG elements.
There can be less linear progression.
There can be a truly worthy storyline.

It's not like Borderlands 1 + 2 is literally the only way an FPS with RPG elements can be done. A lot of people will be fine if Borderlands 3 is more of the same, but it's not like it's a perfect untouchable formula like Tetris where every addition or change probably breaks the game. I spent hundreds of hours on those games myself, but a bit of a shake-up would absolutely be welcome to me. And if the AI, the encounter design, the gameplay variety, etc. is the same as it was in a last-gen game, I'll be disappointed personally. There are ways to improve the formula, let's see if they try hard enough.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm expecting high 80s now, with cherry picked outlets reviewing the game.
Probably low to mid 80 down the line, I'll still enjoy it in 6 months when it releases on steam.

DSporacht

Jan 24, 2018
Guessing somewhere in the low 80s. Gearbox has lost a lot of the goodwill they had left over from the Borderlands 2 era (blame Pitchford for that), plus it seems like people have really soured on that style of humour.

All that plus the fact that there hasn't been much of a visual update makes me think critics won't be as hot on it as before.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'll be disappointed if they didn't look to what Destiny does well in terms of end-game and up their own game.
I love destiny, the franchise is my most played of this gen by far. But I'm tired of so many games just making their own version of destiny.

There are numerous destiny likes and zero games like Borderlands.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Should be a low 80's up to 85. I'll assault any reviewer who doesn't agree in a hotel of their choice.

Seriously, I think the game will be docked for being too similar to Borderlands 2 but in the GAAS age of lootboxes that probably should be praised. I'm afraid of post review patches à la Activision though.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the way Activision releases the game MTS-free to gain positive scores then adds them a week later.

lol. Activision does that (and usually months later) to game the ESRB rating systems, they aren't ignoring a week or month or hardcore user MTX in order to get a few points higher in reviews.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I love destiny, the franchise is my most played of this gen by far. But I'm tired of so many games just making their own version of destiny.

There are numerous destiny likes and zero games like Borderlands.
Borderlands should retain its identity, it definitely has one.

It does, however, need to up its end-game if it has one. There's nothing wrong with looking to games that have done it better, and that doesn't mean cloning them or losing identity.

Also, what other games are you tired of that have "made their own version of Destiny"? I'm drawing blanks...

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I haven't read many previews, but let's say the game is more of the same which for me is fine, I can see some sites criticizing that. But I definitely expect at least 85 or higher.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Always shocks me bl2 reviewed so much better. I loved borderlands 1, 2 just seemed more refined but I didn't get any of the excitement or enjoyment like I did from the first one.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Really curious to see how this received given that there's been a number of loot shooters released since Borderlands 2 and it seems that Borderlands 3 is doing it's own thing rather than following something like Destiny or The Division.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Borderlands should retain its identity, it definitely has one.

It does, however, need to up its end-game if it has one. There's nothing wrong with looking to games that have done it better, and that doesn't mean cloning them or losing identity.

Also, what other games are you tired of that have "made their own version of Destiny"? I'm drawing blanks...
Really? Anthem for one, the avengers game for another.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
All that plus the fact that there hasn't been much of a visual update makes me think critics won't be as hot on it as before.

Cellshading is very much of its own style that you don't really update, but overall graphically BL3 is a lot more advanced than BL2 is. Two aren't even close graphically.

AnthonyUK

Nov 6, 2017
I'm going for lower then 80.

I just dont have confidence they'll move the game on enough, and they now have other loot shooters to compare with and they didnt really back in BL/BL2 times.

I have it preordered since i loved the first two and ive been on blackout so maybe i'll be wrong and they have already highligthed changes they'll make, but that's just how gearbox strike me, it'll just be a next gen looking BL2 imo. Which I'm fine with but i think reviewers will be harsher.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Same. Fuck the folks who worked on it and will be without a job if it fails, my hatred for Randy "the guy" Pitchfork takes precedence in this case.
I dont get it , folks arent gunned to work there there lots of other studios . That guy is horrible humanbeing i just dont understand working under him

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The enemies don't have to be bullet sponges with minimum reactions.
The level designs can be different.
There can be better multiplayer activities.
There can proper raids, rifts, high level content that doesn't just require spamming a ridiculously OP boss for a while.
There can be actual gameplay variety in the weapons, without them feeling like 3-4 different guns plus the elemental stuff that changes its after effect.
There can be more dynamic content that offers unpredictability.
There can be better AI.
There can be a shooting that feels more modern, more in line with what games like Titanfall, Halo 5, modern Call Of Duty games, etc. brought to the field.
There can be deeper RPG elements.
There can be less linear progression.
There can be a truly worthy storyline.

It's not like Borderlands 1 + 2 is literally the only way an FPS with RPG elements can be done. A lot of people will be fine if Borderlands 3 is more of the same, but it's not like it's a perfect untouchable formula like Tetris where every addition or change probably breaks the game. I spent hundreds of hours on those games myself, but a bit of a shake-up would absolutely be welcome to me. And if the AI, the encounter design, the gameplay variety, etc. is the same as it was in a last-gen game, I'll be disappointed personally. There are ways to improve the formula, let's see if they try hard enough.

Some of those things don't fit IMO with a looter shooter - bullet sponges for example are a requirement otherwise - the sense of progression is somewhat curtailed.

There can definitely and should be refinements - I agree. Its more that games that aren't principally story driven cinematic titles are lazily dubbed as "more of the same". Yet the exact same game with a new story bolted on is never ever "more of the same".

I feel its a definite problem. Everything I've seen of BL3 is a refinement of the already very good game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Anthem for one, the avengers game for another.
Anthem is one, but then it didn't copy Destiny much which is largely why it was so bad... (ie: it didn't take note of what had been done well).
The Avengers game we don't actually know anywhere near enough yet to say...

You said "so many", or was that just hyperbole?