• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Predictions?

• 96-100

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • 91-95 (Same as Borderlands 2)

Votes: 197 17.5%
  • 86-90

Votes: 457 40.5%
  • 81-85 (Same as Borderlands)

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • 76-80

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 34 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
7BO97aA.png

ZM4E1xt.png

hlwkoIa.png

NFiAfFr.png

RzAQb5R.png

XSPy7mD.png

9MtFPBX.png

TmsTOwJ.png

j9Vmk4D.png

Qbm8b6L.png

PC Gamer - 63/100
Between the bugs, the extended non-jokes, the self-aggrandizing jabs at game design trends, and a few cameos I won't spoil but that made me audibly groan, Borderlands 3 has a lot in common with Gearbox fan events as of late. There's a lot of loud, extended posturing while holding what everyone really came for hostage. It's a shame, because Tales from the Borderlands found a delicate balance of absurdity, self-awareness, and genuine heart. A better Borderlands is possible, it's just not Borderlands 3.

Polygon
Borderlands 3, if it works well at launch, is a competent game that feels like a passable continuation of the franchise instead of an evolution. It's the same general idea with new vault hunters, but with little of the joy and danger that I fell in love with in earlier entries. The franchise used to feel adventurous. Now, without any fresh ideas or concepts, it's little more than a holdover from a different time. Borderlands 3 feels safe, oddly careful (especially for a game about anarchy), and, worst of all, corporate.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i give it three trips to Medieval Times out of five

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hell...It's about time.

High 80's for me. Probably close to 88.
Funny would be to see the user score.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm about to head out now which is why the thread is up early, will be back before reviews drop to update the OP tho dw

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious about this one. I recently tried 1 and 2 again and the shooting mechanisms, the level designs, the bullet sponge enemies and all did not age too gracefully imho. Curious to see how effectively this one shakes up the formula, because I'd be all in for another Borderlands but it needs to evolve now.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be around Borderlands 1 score. I haven't been following the game as much as other people, but it seems like it doesn't have such a big evolution to the formula, so that might penalize it a little bit.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Borderlands 2 is at 91? LMAO. Thought the first game was much much better.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Really curious to understand what is different from Bordelands 2 and how it evolves that game, I played recently a bit of Borderlands 2 and it was not as fun as I remembered.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
watched a lot of gameplay videos and it looks very familiar to me, but modernized in areas where the game needed it the most
gonna guess 85

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
my guess was 85 in the pre release thread, but seeing the poll I went with 86-90 as I figure if I'm off it will be because I'm a little low.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to understand what is different from Bordelands 2 and how it evolves that game, I played recently a bit of Borderlands 2 and it was not as fun as I remembered.

Yeah, the generation leap really shows in terms of actual gameplay loop. Other shooters just feel miles better nowadays, hopefully this one can make the formula evolve enough because the core concept is still cool as hell.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Expecting 88 or so.

Previews have universally praised the gunplay/movement as a big improvement over the previous games in the series. No microtransactions or loot box bullshit. And they aren't afraid to borrow from other successful loot-based games like the endgame stuff from Diablo 3... unlike another recent looter shooter. But it's generally harder to break 90 these days.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With well cherrypicked outlets this could skew MC score upwards quite a bit thanks to small and possibly favorable review pool.

Yeah, that's a valid point. It could easily start various points higher compared to where it ultimately lands a week or two later, which could trick people's perception about the actual reception of the game.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
That's a weird pick for the first two game's metascores. Both of 'em are 89 on the highest reviewed platform.

Going with 86-89 on this one.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Massive fan of BL2 and this seems to be more of the same so I'll probably enjoy it regardless of reviews (and despite Randy Pitchford's general bullshittery).

Hopefully if they haven't changed too much from BL2 it'll be in the high 80s, low 90s.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
High 80s I'm betting, it looks like some of the holdover aspects of the series will probably show their age a bit, so it wont review as well as BL2. Borderlands had a whole genre to itself for a while, now there's lots of games that have taken aspects and polished or improved them, even if they are neccessarily 1:1 gameplay matches overall. Might take a bit of the sheen off.

Oct 25, 2017

High 80s I'm betting, it looks like some of the holdover aspects of the series will probably show their age a bit, so it wont review as well as BL2. Borderlands had a whole genre to itself for a while, now there's lots of games that have taken aspects and polished or improved them, even if they are neccessarily 1:1 gameplay matches overall. Might take a bit of the sheen off.

High 80s would still rate it higher than any Destiny or The Division game.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna guess about 85. Reviewers are more strict these days and that one IGN preview video wasn't overwhelmingly positive.

Hoping for higher though! Either way I'm in day one lol

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Thinking alot of reviews, not much has changed, no innovation , kinda reviews, so 8/10 will be the average