• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Predictions?

• 96-100

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • 91-95 (Same as Borderlands 2)

Votes: 197 17.5%
  • 86-90

Votes: 457 40.5%
  • 81-85 (Same as Borderlands)

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • 76-80

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 34 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting PC requirements...what res is this running at on the X? Hopefully not too many effects had to be turned down there.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
The guy goes on a rant about abortion rights because the game contains a joke about how wire hangers are uncivilized.

I get being put off by sex jokes, but he's definitely misinterpreting a tame joke lol

The problem is not that the joke is about abortion, but rather it makes light of women who have hurt or killed themselves to perform an abortion when safer options are outlawed. Something to consider in an increasingly anti-choice political environment.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i just wonder, given those pc benchmarks, is the 60 fps for the X and Pro still a thing? Because that'd be a pretty big achievement, even at 1080p

Plum

May 31, 2018
It does sound ridiculous, especially considering Borderlands 3 doesn't have any sort of raytracing capabilities implemented at the moment.
How can it? Most of the cards listed don't support ray tracing.

It's for everything maxed on Ultra; probably has a setting or 2 that kill everything but the highest end cards.

Hopefully we get some good setting recomendations for our non 2080 cards lol, not too worried about it myself I don't need every setting to Ultra to have fun with a game like this.

Thanks. I'm quite ignorant about PC gaming atm so didn't know either of those things. Guess we'll have to wait for more thorough analysis from places like Digital Foundry (which will conveniently be after launch...)

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
None of the reviews mention a single raid boss. I am gonna assume there isn't one. Which is pretty fucking bad and makes me think about cancelling my pre order.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
None of the reviews mention a single raid boss. I am gonna assume there isn't one. Which is pretty fucking bad and makes me think about cancelling my pre order.

You're going to assume there isn't one when the last game launched with two? I'd be very surprised if there wasn't already one in there. There's plenty of repeatable and easily farmable boss fights as well. There's also going to be free monthly content updates with boss fights and/or raids.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, it's weird. Especially when Borderlands 2 heavily advertised the Terramorphous raid boss before launch. Admittedly, Gearbox themselves haven't really spoken about raid bosses outside of the Maliwan Takedown which comes out in October.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
The joke has nothing to do with abortion.

From the review:

One line insulted me. I think it was a throwaway comment from a Pyscho as you slaughter it, but when I killed it, it said, "I want to live in a more civilized age! No more wire hangers!"

If it isn't a reference to abortion, it's either a tone-deaf joke that appeals to the 10 people that care about plastic vs. wire hangers and enjoy Borderlands' humor, or it's a bizarrely misused reference to Mommy Dearest. /shrug

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's really not if there's stuff like Ray Tracing in the game, which would have little to do with the overall look of the game
Very unlikely. If it had ray tracing, we would have known about it long ago.

From the review:

If it isn't a reference to abortion, it's either a tone-deaf joke that appeals to the 10 people that care about plastic vs. wire hangers and enjoy Borderlands' humor, or it's a bizarrely misused reference to Mommy Dearest. /shrug
Yikes at that joke. Who the fuck thought that was funny?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the review:

hell no, that's definitely a joke about abortion.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is not that the joke is about abortion, but rather it makes light of women who have hurt or killed themselves to perform an abortion when safer options are outlawed. Something to consider in an increasingly anti-choice political environment.
So the critic is offended because they (the critic) aren't pro-choice?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
And if it takes that much just to hit 60fps on PC at 1440p/Ultra then it makes me wonder what consoles are running it at, particularly the base consoles.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is it the opposite?

If a Psycho in the game has a line that criticizes the fact that women have to resort to coat hangers because we're outlawing civilized means of which to get abortions, then that's something someone pro-choice would say. If the game is making a comment about people not being pro-choice being wrong, and the critic is offended, then.... ???

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
How is it the opposite?

If a Psycho in the game has a line that criticizes the fact that women have to resort to coat hangers because we're outlawing civilized means of which to get abortions, then that's something someone pro-choice would say. If the game is making a comment about people not being pro-choice being wrong, and the critic is offended, then.... ???

dunno why you keep saying he's offended instead of going and actually reading the writing in question

One line insulted me. I think it was a throwaway comment from a Pyscho as you slaughter it, but when I killed it, it said, "I want to live in a more civilized age! No more wire hangers!" I took this as a reference to the unsafe abortions women had to seek out before the Roe vs. Wade decision … and others may be using as states camp down on abortion rights. It shook me, and it disgusted me given today's anti-choice climate. Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, and it's pointing out how women are losing access to safe abortions. Or it's more literal and it's a comment on how awful wire hangers are in your closet. But that's not how it came across to me.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
How is it the opposite?

One line insulted me. I think it was a throwaway comment from a Pyscho as you slaughter it, but when I killed it, it said, "I want to live in a more civilized age! No more wire hangers!" I took this as a reference to the unsafe abortions women had to seek out before the Roe vs. Wade decision … and others may be using as states clamp down on abortion rights. It shook me, and it disgusted me given today's anti-choice climate.

How does this sound like the critic is anti-choice?

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
How is it the opposite?

I'm going to have to agree with you. Sounds like a pro-lifer got offended. But others are saying he wasnt offended so who knows. It is weird either way.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
How is it the opposite?

thats how i see it too, thanks

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Ultra settings aren't worth it, news at 11.

I mean I make out fine in Gears 5 at 4k/Ultra on my 2080ti with minor dips only in the most demanding areas, which come mostly from act 2 and that looks absurdly better than BL3. I just don't see what could make this game require a 2080 for 1440p/60 at Ultra settings. Maybe the particles and physics are pretty crazy.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
How is it the opposite?

It's a bad joke because it can be read as pro-choice or pro-life, so honestly, it shouldn't even have made it into the game.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
Wire Hangers being something snobby people hate has been a thing for ages...

That could very well be the intent of the joke, but it can come off as tone-deaf when women are marching down the streets holding "no more wire hangers" signs in today's climate.

Personally (and this depends heavily on how the line was read), if I encountered that joke in the game before reading this review, Mommy Dearest might have been my first attempt to "get it".

Then I would shrug it off and keep mindlessly killing things like I always do when the jokes fall flat, which happens all of the time when I play these damn games with my wife, who in turn loves these games, and I 95 out of 100 her.

Oct 28, 2017
These outlets have an earlier version of the game and the release graphics drivers aren't out yet, it seems fairly reasonable to think that's why the performance results are the way they are.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How does this sound like the critic is anti-choice?
Oh, so the critic just misinterpreted it? I don't understand how they managed to write that and not realize the Psycho is saying that pro-life people are uncivilized.

It's a bad joke because it can be read as pro-choice or pro-life, so honestly, it shouldn't even have made it into the game.
Psycho literally says it's uncivilized for abortions to not be legal.

dunno why you keep saying he's offended instead of going and actually reading the writing in question
Because I was reading the Psycho's quote, and hearing that the critic was offended. The only way to be offended is if you're pro-life, or if you're misinterpreting the comment, which the critic is. I just didn't go back and read their actual comments on the matter, because I thought the dialogue was pretty damn self-explanatory.

Psycho literally says that using wire hangers is uncivilized. I don't see how this could be interpreted in any other way.

Jan 15, 2018
I mean I make out fine in Gears 5 at 4k/Ultra on my 2080ti with minor dips only in the most demanding areas, which come mostly from act 2 and that looks absurdly better than BL3. I just don't see what could make this game require a 2080 for 1440p/60 at Ultra settings. Maybe the particles and physics are pretty crazy.

The physics simulations would have to be pretty insane since it has roughly the same performance as Control at 1440 with max setting and all the RTX options turned to high, and that game has some pretty insane particles, destruction, and physics stuff happening during gameplay.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
These outlets have an earlier version of the game and the release graphics drivers aren't out yet, it seems fairly reasonable to think that's why the performance results are the way they are.

Why is 2K being so incompetent with these review procedures? They're making Gearbox look like they're trying to hide something even though I'm pretty sure this is 2K shenanigans alone.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Psycho literally says it's uncivilized for abortions to not be legal.

Pro-lifers have also used wire hangers as a talking point to make abortion sound more dangerous than it actually is. "Civilized age" could easily be interpreted as no abortion.

It's a poorly written joke.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it the opposite?

He's offended because he thinks it's a bad joke. He's pro-choice.

The coat hanger meme has been a thing for decades. I think it's safe to say it references on how it was used for abortions than Mommy Dearest when it comes to Borderlands MO.

Not to mention it refers to 'being civilised'

To be fair, it's a fairly old joke that has not been a thing for a while. Remembered it being bought up a decade or so ago when jokes on the internet were largely more offensive.