• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Predictions?

• 96-100

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • 91-95 (Same as Borderlands 2)

Votes: 197 17.5%
  • 86-90

Votes: 457 40.5%
  • 81-85 (Same as Borderlands)

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • 76-80

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 34 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
What the hell?

Polygon:

EEDNWkRWwAEbjzQ

Jan 15, 2018
The whole review code situation is bizarre, especially so since it seems that the game is very good. I really wonder why 2K would do it like this.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Why the fuck would you have your reviews be based on an early build? Who at 2k and Gearbox thought that shit was a good idea? It's bad enough that they prohibited any outlets outside the US from even getting to review it, but to then have those reviews be of an early build is utterly stupid.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, all the reviewer had to do was type it into google

If this has taught us anything, it's that Borderlands 3 brand of hit-or-miss comedy will have you googling why two COMPLETELY unrelated references were squashed into a meaningless non-joke. 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh...that's a bit surprising. This game looks fine, but I can nearly run Gears 5 in 4K/60FPS with my 2080/9700K, and that's a legit contender for best (technical) looking game ever made.

Oh well, optimization, different game, and all.
Yeah, Borderlands never was all that well known for its optimization.

At this point every review so far is basically a preview, what a mess.
What do you mean?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck would you have your reviews be based on an early build? Who at 2k and Gearbox thought that shit was a good idea? It's bad enough that they prohibited any outlets outside the US from even getting to review it, but to then have those reviews be of an early build is utterly stupid.
Seems to be an EGS issue. and I'm guessing the console ports just weren't ready or they was some sort of agreement for PC reviews. That being said tons of game reviews are of not a day 1 build...
EDIT: saw the other thread, def not an EGS issue.

Also i don't get this whole abortion thing at all. BL2 had the same mommy dearest line in it.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I make out fine in Gears 5 at 4k/Ultra on my 2080ti with minor dips only in the most demanding areas
There is no standard for what ultra settings entails. It varies from game to game. It just depends on how far the devs over tuned the highest settings. I am willing to bet that there are a few in borderlands 3 that you can turn down to get much more reasonable performance and the game will look the same.

Not trying to defend the devs here, but I also have a 2080 TI and I never use the highest settings unless I am able to get 60-100 FPS no matter what, which is rare.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this has taught us anything, it's that Borderlands 3 brand of hit-or-miss comedy will have you googling why two COMPLETELY unrelated references were squashed into a meaningless non-joke. 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Borderlands is funny or ever has been

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Because there is no gold release when the game comes out and all people will play the early build..

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
To be fair I review console versions of games and 9 times out of 10 you get an older build if you get a code before release. Ubisoft games for example usually get patched like 2 or 3 times before release when you get it early, so it's not that uncommon. Most of the times when you get an early build they supply a document with known bugs etc so you know what will get patched before release.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Or it has taught us to not immediately jump to the worst conclusions about a writer. One of those.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
To be fair I review console versions of games and 9 times out of 10 you get an older build if you get a code before release. Ubisoft games for example usually get patched like 2 or 3 times before release when you get it early, so it's not that uncommon. Most of the times when you get an early build they supply a document with known bugs etc so you know what will get patched before release.

Ah gotcha. Hopefully that means the final game has better performance across the board.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
Or it has taught us to not immediately jump to the worst conclusions about a writer. One of those.

"I want to live in a more civilized age! No more wire hangers!" makes more sense and has more relevance as an abortion-related statement than "randomized battle callout" immediately followed by a 40-year-old Mommy Dearest reference.

I think the worst conclusion about the writer still stands: he can't write a good joke.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to play this game for the next 2 years, have 6 builds for every character my god help me

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The absolute dumbest thing about review threads here is that once the game is actually out and people have played it themselves the thread is dead. So all get is thousands of posts arguing and crying about scores based on nothing but fanboy bias until the game is released and then it's a ghost town.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
"I want to live in a more civilized age! No more wire hangers!" makes more sense and has more relevance as an abortion-related statement than "randomized battle callout" immediately followed by a 40-year-old Mommy Dearest reference.

I think the worst conclusion about the writer still stands: he can't write a good joke.
A joke being funny or not is entirely subjective. Whether you think it's a good joke or not has no effect on the actual intention behind the line. Games like this are filled with hundreds, if not thousands of lines of unimportant dialogue and they can't all be amazing. Especially when you're writing dialogue for random psychotic enemies. I'd argue that a nonsensical line like that is perfectly in line with what you might expect out of those enemies. Regardless, there's no reason to just assume it was ill-intentioned. Just because you aren't old enough to understand the reference doesn't mean it's okay to turn it into something you do understand without any consideration for alternatives.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Eh, "I want to live in a more civilized age!" is actually a pretty decent comedic combat bark.

I always recognize "No wire hangers!", but I guess that's just because MST3K used it all the time, so it has an artificially-inflated level of relevance in my head.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The absolute dumbest thing about review threads here is that once the game is actually out and people have played it themselves the thread is dead. So all get is thousands of posts arguing and crying about scores based on nothing but fanboy bias until the game is released and then it's a ghost town.
People discuss the reviews.

Once the game us out they play the game and discuss it in the OT.

?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, there's no reason to just assume it was ill-intentioned. Just because you aren't old enough to understand the reference doesn't mean it's okay to turn it into something you do understand without any consideration for alternatives.
No, the line sounded like it was whole and, as a whole, it sounded a specific way.

That's it. It's an unfortunate event that it happened to randomized that way, but it did and it sounded like the joke people were reacting about.

It was a much safer assumption that the line was scripted than "two random lines happend to fall in place". It sounded bad.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People discuss the reviews.

Once the game us out they play the game and discuss it in the OT.

?
Think it's more on the state of a review thread after the game is released. There were more than a few bad ones with just shit discourse as it went on.

God of War was one. Some practically begged a mod to unlock the review thread so they can shit on a negative review since they got crap for trying to do so in the OT.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
No, the line sounded like it was whole and, as a whole, it sounded a specific way.

That's it. It's an unfortunate event that it happened to randomized that way, but it did and it sounded like the joke people were reacting about.

It was a much safer assumption that the line was scripted than "two random lines happend to fall in place". It sounded bad.
Even more of a reason to not immediately jump to conclusions.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Think it's more on the state of a review thread after the game is released. There were more than a few bad ones with just shit discourse as it went on.

God of War was one. Some practically begged a mod to unlock the review thread so they can shit on a negative review since they got crap for trying to do so in the OT.
That's not what the person said, but it's a silly argument anyway. Of course the thread loses steam once the game is actually in our hands

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Even more of a reason to not immediately jump to conclusions.
It wasn't jumping to conclusions, though. You've missed the point.

There was literally no way to even think it was two random lines that happend to fall in place, it sounded written.

And if written, it doesn't matter about intent because it had a very clear meaning regardless.

It was a fair response.