• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Predictions?

• 96-100

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • 91-95 (Same as Borderlands 2)

Votes: 197 17.5%
  • 86-90

Votes: 457 40.5%
  • 81-85 (Same as Borderlands)

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • 76-80

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 34 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
IGN Associate Guides Editor

IGN review

Perhaps Borderlands 3's greatest triumph is that it never felt monotonous over more than 30 hours. I kept waiting for the energetic pace at which new enemies, weapon archetypes, and mission structures were introduced to slow to a grind… but it never did.

For starters, if your ECHO 3 mission log didn't clearly labe I would've had a hard time distinguishing Borderlands 3's side missions from its main story missions – and I absolutely mean that as a compliment. The optional tasks divvied out by the denizens of Pandora and its neighboring planets are creative, enjoyable, and rarely the kind of formulaic, repeatable filler usually associated with optional tasks. There are definitely still some fetch and kill quests, but there's almost always a twist that makes them feel unique – and when there's not, Borderlands 3's self-deprecating humor makes light of that situation.

And I know different people different opinions, I am just pointing out how divisive game is.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
2080 for 1440p ultra 60 FPS?! Why on earth....I guess i have to play on high/mid to get 120+ FPS on 1440p.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
2080 for 1440p ultra 60 FPS?! Why on earth....I guess i have to play on high/mid to get 120+ FPS on 1440p.

I mean as many people are claiming that its not much of an upgrade since BL 2, it couldn't be more wrong in game. Elements are interacting with each others (unlike in 2), theres a crapton of reflections / severely improved lighting, shadows and even material rendering (with shadows going through more feeble ones such as cloth)

Add in to that a lot of enemies, particles everywhere, destructible cover and it sounds kinda normal. They're pushing UE 4 pretty hard with this one

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not enjoying a particular brand of humor is one thing, but the jokes in the game are pretty harmless, right? There's something about this franchise that is just so cool to hate

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine putting off BL because if it's dialogue. Shit just becomes background noise by the time you're in TVHM. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's cringey. Who cares.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
The PC performance doesn't sound too promising.

That PC Gamer article about PC performance goes against what it says in its own review quoted below;

"Borderlands ran like a dream at 2560x1440 on my souped up PC, maintaining 90-plus fps with a few dips when loading in new areas and during particularly chaotic combat scenarios. For the complete picture, here's our Borderlands 3 performance review. "

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I can't imagine putting off BL because if it's dialogue. Shit just becomes background noise by the time you're in TVHM. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's cringey. Who cares.

a lot of people? Including gearbox. If they didn't care, why would the game have so much dialogue? It's one of the few games where you get almost constant narration in a quest when you play it. Also, unlike something like destiny, borderlands games have a lot more story focus and the campaigns much longer as well.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
I guess I was speaking more to the franchise as a whole, didn't mean to sound like it was some conspiracy.
I used to love Borderlands humor when I was younger. Like I used to love things like Deadpool shenanigans when I was 19 or so. But that kind of humor sometimes tire off after a few years and I can understand why someone would be bored by it, even if it's perfectly harmless.

Also I guess people were expecting a better writing after Tales of The Borderlands and are disappointed ?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
That PC Gamer article about PC performance goes against what it says in its own review quoted below;

"Borderlands ran like a dream at 2560x1440 on my souped up PC, maintaining 90-plus fps with a few dips when loading in new areas and during particularly chaotic combat scenarios. For the complete picture, here's our Borderlands 3 performance review. "

1070 can't even hold 60fps on high settings at 1080p. Seems very demanding.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Biggest problem I can see me having with the writing is Tales From The Borderlands set such a massive bar I doubt BL3 will come close. But I've liked most of the BL stories so far, especially Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep, so high hopes with BL3. BL 1, 2 and TPS' humour has always been super hit or miss for me, not expecting anything different in BL3.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Not enjoying a particular brand of humor is one thing, but the jokes in the game are pretty harmless, right? There's something about this franchise that is just so cool to hate

I recently saw an interview with the writers and they said they tried to "make everyone feel included and comfortable" with their jokes, so I doubt there are any (intentionally) offensive jokes. Borderlands is mostly dark humor and sexual innuendos, but it's pretty much harmless.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Same. But I think what you see is some people reviewing or playing it like a traditional SP campaign - when its simply a looter shooter. Its like Destiny. People moaning about the story. Yet the players that sank hundred and hundreds of hours in couldn't have cared less it was all about getting that "piece of loot"....

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Same. But I think what you see is some people reviewing or playing it like a traditional SP campaign - when its simply a looter shooter. Its like Destiny. People moaning about the story. Yet the players that sank hundred and hundreds of hours in couldn't have cared less it was all about getting that "piece of loot"....
a lot of players also play the game like a traditional shooter campaign. That's part of the appeal of Borderlands compared to Destiny/Division.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Its kinda odd that none of the reviews are going in depth with all the changes or even the roles of the old members / Tina etc

Also make Tina playable in the dlc you cowards. Like so far none of the reviews are actually "reviews", just considerations between then and now

Also it was to be expected that the more schlaptastick elements like the completely whacked humor would be severely hit or miss, but that being the main component of a final note ? heh. can just turn the dialogue volume all the way down and maybe deal with the gameplay changes instead, pc gamer ? not only that but any BL veteran knows that the game truly starts in NG+ , whereas here it seems like everything properly clicks in at least mayhem 1

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It's fair to complain about the writing or the storyline if you didn't like it, but it's not the most important aspect in this series. It's all about shooting enemies and getting new guns, the storyline and dialogue are just an excuse to give you a reason to do all the shooting and looting.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's fair to complain about the writing or the storyline if you didn't like it, but it's not the most important aspect in this series. It's all about shooting enemies and getting new guns, the storyline and dialogue are just an excuse to give you a reason to do all the shooting and looting.

I disagree. It's up to the player to decide what they value more in Borderlands. Why do you think they increased the story focus so much in 2, compared to 1? A lot of people consider Handsome Jack one of the best video game villains.

A lot of players in the BL community treat BL a story driven shooter first and foremost, and a loot game second. A lot of people are the opposite. Again, it's part of BL's appeal compared to some of the other popular loot shooters.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I disagree. It's up to the player to decide what they value more in Borderlands. Why do you think they increased the story focus so much in 2, compared to 1? A lot of people consider Handsome Jack one of the best video game villains.

Oh, of course, I was just stating my opinion. I value the gameplay a lot more than the storyline, but everyone has their own preferences.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Some of Borderlands best stuff are the story/character heavy stuff, Tales From and Dragon's Keep being the 2 best examples, and as said Jack is a big part of BL2 being so good. Sure playthrough 3 onwards I probably won't care, but the story is a big focus of Borderlands

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Not like game has anything going on graphic wise, sure it was cool in 2009 when it was new and everything was gray and brown. Nowadays all games does wacky colors and cell shaded .

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the character dialogue and interactions are the main selling point. Story hasn't been anything special so far

Also, i'm currently laughing my ass off because the community hates troy because he dabbed

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the fact that some outlets didn't get review copies is weird since it seems even Youtubers like Arrekz have access to the full game.

Nevertheless I really don't care about the drama in the reviews, they can't rate the game how they like, I still feel the game will be good for you if you wanted more Borderlands. What I'm interested about is the performance though as someone mentioned earlier the game running like a dream and now I'm hearing reports you need a beefy pc to run it at max settings 1440p...

Also glad they enabled preordering, hopefully cdkeys delivers the actual keys in advance.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
game sounds good but nothing amazing...just more of the same...if you loved B2 then you'll love B3...seems like Gearbox played it safe and just gave players more of what they like- Borderlands 2.5

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
game sounds good but nothing amazing...just more of the same...if you loved B2 then you'll love B3...seems like Gearbox played it safe and just gave players more of what they like- Borderlands 2.5

I'm actually kinda glad that's the case. I honestly can't tbink of much change I would want in this franchise. They improved small gameplay things that matter a lot, that to me is quite important. But what else would we want to see? Changing things up too much can fuck it up all the same.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
It sure is something reading the reviews for this more or less saying, "It's more of the Borderlands you know, only more Borderlands" and getting 8's and 9's lol

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't get it, did people pulled that .5 stuff with other games, say Uncharted?

I mean hell Gears 5 is pretty much in line with all past titles, in the end I'm still doing the same thing which is killing Grubs in style yet I'm not bothered with the games being full fledged sequels.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it, did people pulled that .5 stuff with other games, say Uncharted?

I mean hell Gears 5 is pretty much in line with all past titles, in the end I'm still doing the same thing which is killing Grubs in style yet I'm not bothered with the games being full fledged sequels.
The ".5" thing used to be really common in fanboy circles, Gears 1.5, Halo 2.5, etc.

Oct 26, 2017

Well, Gears 5 is receiving the same scores as BL3, so there is consistency at least!

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

Didnt people sent death threats when uncharted 3 got 8's ? You cant mess with uncharted

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Everyone pulls the ".5" if the game doesn't have a drastic departure visually from the previous game.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am so confused by what the story of 3 is supposed to be about and watching that cinematic trailer I still am left not knowing the hell is going on. But, that was a pretty awesome trailer thanks in part to Queen. Reviews seem to tell a similar story of whacky adventures that sometimes don't land the jokes, bugs, guns, cringe and good fun like the last two mainline games. Gearbox hasn't changed the series much with this title which is nice considering it was a big pusher for four player co-op FPS with decent-ish story so I'm keen to give it a shot.

When it comes off Epic so I don't have to spend $30 more than the price tag says :)

It sure is something reading the reviews for this more or less saying, "It's more of the Borderlands you know, only more Borderlands" and getting 8's and 9's lol

Honestly most AAA titles are pretty safe in the reviews and will at least get 70 unless they truly fuck something up. I've found that's where personal interest and those more in-line with my gaming tastes give me a better picture then looking at OpenCritic or whatever as a whole. Same with movies, most big name actor movies get easy street reviews and I rely on critics who don't necessarily say "your views are like mine so clearly what I'm saying is correct" but that they have opinions that I have shared.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Gears 5 is receiving the same scores as BL3, so there is consistency at least!

lol.

Honestly, who cares people get hung up on so many things. The game is new, that's all that matters. Is it fundamentally the same thing you're doing as the previous titles? Of course. It's in the same vein. I'm glad it's more of the same albeit refined. Would hate for this to be a Project RE type of thing lol

It's been 7 years since the last Borderlands game

giphy.gif

Everyone pulls the ".5" if the game doesn't have a drastic departure visually from the previous game.

lol wonder what should we say about 2K basketball games then.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

It's an excellent formula that GearBox was the innovator of that nobody else in the industry has fully replicated.

By all accounts they are offering dozens of hours of content in a package fans of the genre they essentially created should find really fun. How is that not an 8 or 9 game?

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
It's an excellent formula that GearBox was the innovator of that nobody else in the industry has fully replicated.

By all accounts they are offering dozens of hours of content in a package fans of the genre they essentially created should find really fun. How is that not an 8 or 9 game?

Oh, I'm not arguing against the scores, I'm sure it's well deserved just find it funny that it's used as a positive here but a negative elsewhere.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is on review code and no specific driver but this isn't the kind of performance I was hoping for

CSymjHcx6LDJVbnfFZykzL.png

EDIT : Didn't realize it was posted before.