• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Predictions?

• 96-100

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • 91-95 (Same as Borderlands 2)

Votes: 197 17.5%
  • 86-90

Votes: 457 40.5%
  • 81-85 (Same as Borderlands)

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • 76-80

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 34 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is on review code and no specific driver but this isn't the kind of performance I was hoping for

CSymjHcx6LDJVbnfFZykzL.png

Well, it is on ultra. The low-high scaling seems pretty skewed compared the minimum/recommended system requirements though. Their minimum must really be like "well, you can run it on this theoretically".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, did people pulled that .5 stuff with other games, say Uncharted?

I mean hell Gears 5 is pretty much in line with all past titles, in the end I'm still doing the same thing which is killing Grubs in style yet I'm not bothered with the games being full fledged sequels.
Gears 5 has a completely different open world style exploration design that changes the overall feel of the game a lot. Even if the encounters are similar.

This is a pretty huge change up.

Has BL3 done anything similar?

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it is on ultra. The low-high scaling seems pretty skewed compared the minimum/recommended system requirements though. Their minimum must really be like "well, you can run it on this theoretically".

Yeah I'm seeing the volumetric fog might be the culprit here. Anyways, should roll smoothly with Gsync so no biggie but i'll definitely turn down some effects to get extra frames. Getting Borderlands 2 at +120fps with some reshade presets and the new texture pack gave the game a new life

Oct 30, 2017
IGN Associate Guides Editor

IGN review

And I know different people different opinions, I am just pointing out how divisive game is.

When the least abrasive character in the series is a euphemistic ignoramus named Claptrap, it's easy to tell who the target audience for these games are.

Gameplay has always been...interesting, but I completely understand someone being put off by the dialogue, narration, and constant loudness of the game.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Well, if you plan on buying the season pass anytime soon, you should get the super deluxe pre-order, because they will increase its price after launch :
I didn't know they will increase the price but do you guys recommend getting the 100$ edition ? Because last 100$ game I bought I regretted which was MK11. I left the game after earning platinum and the characters will take ages so I regret buying it

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Was this confirmed? Why would it increase in price?

My brother has been holding on into purchasing that version since he wants to see the game first at my house, but maybe I need to warn him of this possibility.
It's confirmed. The season pass will likely be $50. The price of the super deluxe edition increases on the 16th.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I didn't know they will increase the price but do you guys recommend getting the 100$ edition ? Because last 100$ game I bought I regretted which was MK11. I left the game after earning platinum and the characters will take ages so I regret buying it
It's really hard to give advice as we know nothing about the dlcs so far. I guess it depends on if you played the previous games and their dlcs and what you thought of them.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't get it, did people pulled that .5 stuff with other games, say Uncharted?

I mean hell Gears 5 is pretty much in line with all past titles, in the end I'm still doing the same thing which is killing Grubs in style yet I'm not bothered with the games being full fledged sequels.

Gears 5 is a bigger evolution from Gears 4 (open world, graphics tech, new mechanics etc) then Borderlands 3 is to B2

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
It's really hard to give advice as we know nothing about the dlcs so far. I guess it depends on if you played the previous games and their dlcs and what you thought of them.
I have played 1 and 2 with all their dlcs and They are hit or miss. The best one tiny tinas dlc which was really good but the rest are forgettable. That's why I'm torn whether to invest 100$ or 60$

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Gears 5 is a bigger evolution from Gears 4 (open world, graphics tech, new mechanics etc) then Borderlands 3 is to B2
Borderlands 3 is a bigger evolution from Borderlands 2 (Multiple planets, new graphics engine, new mechanics, etc.) than Gears 5 is to Gears 4.

Seriously though, this is nonsense. Borderlands 3 has TONS of new mechanics and quality of life changes over Borderlands 2.

Gamespot says 17th. Which date is the correct one? :P
1cC8Xlh.png

I'm technically correct. Your friend is good until midnight on the 16th. ;)

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 has a completely different open world style exploration design that changes the overall feel of the game a lot. Even if the encounters are similar.

I'm playing it right now, it's bigger and better but it's essentially the same as the old titles. Which is not a bad thing, I'm enjoying it. Why do you want the game to reinvent the wheel? If we follow that line of thought Gears 1, 2 and 3 are pretty much the same thing too no?

The simple fact that they included two forms of loot, the classic one and instanced loot is a pretty big addition imo. Much more so than adding "open world" sections in Gears.

I beg to differ but this is for another topic.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the "humor" of BL ...

I couldn't for the life of me really tell you what happened in the Pre-Sequel, since i play the game almost exclusively while listening to podcasts or watching shit on Youtube or Netflix. I only know most of BL2's story because i played through the campaign like 5 times on various platforms (360, PS4, PC) by now.

I'm in it for the shlooting, not for the campaign, nor the shitty attempts at humor.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it right now, it's bigger and better but it's essentially the same as the old titles. Which is not a bad thing, I'm enjoying it. Why do you want the game to reinvent the wheel? If we follow that line of thought Gears 1, 2 and 3 are pretty much the same thing too no?

The simple fact that they included two forms of loot, the classic one and instanced loot is a pretty big addition imo. Much more so than adding "open world" sections in Gears.
The open world and exploration is a big change to the formula. It gives the game a lot of space and downtime it rarely had. It feels very different to play than Gears 4 because of this, it is not a small change.

Instanced loot is a nice change, but it won't change the way the moment to moment feels. And open world absolutely does. It has far more impact on how the game feels to play.

5 feels very different to Gears 4 because of the extra space, exploration, downtime, and choice of optional areas and encounters.

I'm not hyping up Gears over BL, this is not a contest in any way, it's a comparison.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
Regarding the "humor" of BL ...

I couldn't for the life of me really tell you what happened in the Pre-Sequel, since i play the game almost exclusively while listening to podcasts or watching shit on Youtube or Netflix. I only know most of BL2's story because i played through the campaign like 5 times on various platforms (360, PS4, PC) by now.

I'm in it for the shlooting, not for the campaign, nor the shitty attempts at humor.

Pretty much the same here. Love the Borderlands games but it's never been for the writing or humour (although I think 2 is decent), it's for the gameplay and loot grind.

Same with The Division 2, as far as story and characters go, it's terrible, but everything else is great

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The open world and exploration is a big change to the formula. It gives the game a lot of space and downtime it rarely had. It feels very different to play than Gears 4 because of this, it is not a small change.

Instanced loot is a nice change, but it won't change the way the moment to moment feels. And open world absolutely does. It has far more impact on how the game feels to play.

5 feels very different to Gears 4 because of the extra space, exploration, downtime, and choice of optional areas and encounters.

I'm not hyping up Gears over BL, this is not a contest in any way, it's a comparison.

On the top of my head, the sliding, vaulting (which means not being stuck in simple geometry like in previous Borderlands), instanced loot, not being a floating hands with a gun, the dual fire modes and many different manufacturer guns, gunplay improvements, different planets, engine change, refined tree specializations with unique abilities, all make for fine improvements. What would you have them do?

That and apparently additional content is coming on monthly basis.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
On the top of my head, the sliding, vaulting (which means not being stuck in simple geometry like in previous Borderlands), instanced loot, not being a floating hands with a gun, the dual fire modes and many different manufacturer guns, gunplay improvements, different planets, engine change, refined tree specializations with unique abilities, all make for fine improvements. What would you have them do?

That and apparently additional content is coming on monthly basis.
Again, this isn't a contest. I am asking what they have done that differentiates in a way like the open world change to Gears fundamentally adds new perspective to the core gameplay.

The things you wrote all sound like refinements not core shake ups.

To me, Gears 5 plays very differently to Gears 4 because of the added dimensions the open world exploration brings.

I don't see anything in BL3 that does that. Now of course, all the things you listed might amount to more than the sum and make the core game feel different, but I don't see it on paper.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Saying any game is a .5 is stupid. A game doesn't need to be a complete evolution in order to justify it being a sequel.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Saying any game is a .5 is stupid. A game doesn't need to be a complete evolution in order to justify it being a sequel.
I disagree with this only because that is a purely subjective thing. A game doesn't need to reinvent the wheel to justify a sequel, but that won't change the way it feels to the person playing.

A game can feel like .5 to you for a variety of reasons. Plenty of sequels have felt this way to me before.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again, this isn't a contest. I am asking what they have done that differentiates in a way like the open world change to Gears fundamentally adds new perspective to the core gameplay.

To me, Gears 5 plays very differently to Gears 4 because of the added dimensions the open world exploration brings.

I don't see anything in BL3 that does that. Now of course, all the things you listed might amount to more than the sum and make the core game feel different, but I don't see it on paper.
You're suggesting that moving from linear to open world is an improvement.

Assuming it is, Borderlands is already open world. What would you have them do that's comparable?

Plenty of sequels have felt this way to me before.
Such as?

I'm suggesting it's a core shake up, which it is. Improvement is subjective.
Yes, and for an open world looter shooter, what core shake-up would you suggest?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You're suggesting that moving from linear to open world is an improvement.

Assuming it is, Borderlands is already open world. What would you have them do that's comparable?
I'm suggesting it's a core shake up, which it is. Improvement is subjective.

I'm not here to propose different mechanics or design, there are potentially infinite. I'm asking what they have done in relation to the current conversation of whether they have made it feel much different to the precious title.

I'm not even saying this is necessary. Again: this is not a contest.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France

The thing is, the argument you bring is poor.

Sure, changing Gears 5 to open world is huge for a game known for its closed quarter combat. Borderlands is already an open world game. There is no real game changing structure you can bring to this outside of just making zones bigger or more interconnected, which the problem with most open world game sequels. The structure of the game already works that way, there is no need for "game changing" world mechanics here.

The thing they worked on is bring the gameplay to a better standpoint and get rid of the archaic mechanics, like Cripterion said. If you like the Borderlands franchise, it's exactly what has been asked, more guns, more options, better gunplay. Throwing anything that makes the core game "different" is divisive and could potentially be what breaks the game.

We're not at the Assassin's Creed or CoD number of sequels. We're at the 4th game in the franchise, the 3rd one developped by the main team. Even Gears needed 6 games before managing to do something out of their formula. I'd gladly take the "same old but better" approach for B3 or the next game in the franchise. If I wanted to play something else, I would turn to other loot & shoot games (which I did and I'm still back for B3).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, the argument you bring is poor.

Sure, changing Gears 5 to open world is huge for a game known for its closed quarter combat. Borderlands is already an open world game. There is no real game changing structure you can bring to this outside of just making zones bigger or more interconnected, which the problem with most open world game sequels. The structure of the game already works that way, there is no need for "game changing" world mechanics here.

The thing they worked on is bring the gameplay to a better standpoint and get rid of the archaic mechanics, like Cripterion said. If you like the Borderlands franchise, it's exactly what has been asked, more guns, more options, better gunplay. Throwing anything that makes the core game "different" is divisive and could potentially be what breaks the game.

We're not at the Assassin's Creed or CoD number of sequels. We're at the 4th game in the franchise, the 3rd one developped by the main team. Even Gears needed 6 games before managing to do something out of their formula. I'd gladly take the "same old but better" approach for B3 or the next game in the franchise. If I wanted to play something else, I would turn to other loot & shoot games (which I did and I'm still back for B3).
No sorry, the argument is sound. You admit the open world change is huge for Gears.

There are ininite changes to the core gameplay that BL could potentially bring. I'm not going to list some because all that would happen here is people telling me they're bad ideas and not needed etc... and make another tangent... that doesn't change the fact the game could have a core shake up that makes the sequel feel very different.

And, again, this is not even necessary. I am simply asking IF there is anything in BL3 that has done thiis in the same way Gears 5 has.

Pretty much everyone who has responded so far has had blinders on because you think I'm trying to criticize BL3. I'm not.

Gears 5 - open world is a core change that really differentiates it from 4.

BL3 - on paper all the changes look like refinements rather than core shake ups.

Now, the latter is not inherently worse than the former. However, some who were burnt out on BL after 1, and the prequels might not find anything that convinces them to play.

Saying that, the sum of all the refinements might potentially make it feel very different. More than the sum happens.

This is just a conversation based on my curiosity. I have yet to play BL3.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
"gears 5 put a open world on it and thats why the core mechanics of the game has changed, now i can cover and shoot in diferente location, its mind blow"

"BL3 is a BL2.5 bacause didnt have any changes in core mechanics, sliding, vaulting ( now i have more moviments choice ), instanced loot, not being a floating hands with a gun, the dual fire modes and many different manufacturer guns, gunplay improvements, different planets, engine change, refined tree specializations with unique abilities, this dosent adds nothing new for the core gameplay so the .5 is a valid argument"

fucklogic.jpg

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
No sorry, the argument is sound. You admit the open world change is huge for Gears.

There are ininite changes to the core gameplay that BL could potentially bring. I'm not going to list sme because all that would happen here is people telling me they're bad ideas and not needed etc... tha doesn't change the fact the game could have a core shake up that makes the sequel feel very different.

And, again, this is not eve necessary. I am simply asking IF there is anything in BL3 tha has done thiis in the same way Gears 5 has.

Pretty mic everyone who has responded so far has had blinders on because you think I'm trying to criticize BL3. I'm not.

I will hardly admit it because the "Look guys!! Open World!!" option is always the easy one. You have a linear game and want to make it look like you evolve? Open World. It's not game changing. It's the easy solution. Not that it don't work but if it was the first to do so, it would have been gamebreaking.

I don't answer because I think you criticize BL3, a shit ton of people did here and I don't care. I answered because what you think is a "core shake up" is just another game using open world to make it look like they had ideas when developing it. Refining a game is as important, if not more, than just throwing a design used by other companies to make their game look better.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"gears 5 put a open world on it and thats why the core mechanics of the game has changed, now i can cover and shoot in diferente location, its mind blow"

"BL3 is a BL2,5 bacause didnt have any changes in core mechanics, sliding, vaulting (which means not being stuck in simple geometry like in previous Borderlands), instanced loot, not being a floating hands with a gun, the dual fire modes and many different manufacturer guns, gunplay improvements, different planets, engine change, refined tree specializations with unique abilities, this dosent adds nothing new for the core gameplay so the .5 is a valid argument"

fucklogic.jpg
Firstly, there's no need for the obnoxious rudeness.

The open world of Gears 5 makes the core game feel very different to me than 4. This is not an uncommon sentiment. Check the OT.

Already covered the rest, maybe drop the needless hostility and contribute to the discussion.

I will hardly admit it because the "Look guys!! Open World!!" option is always the easy one. You have a linear game and want to make it look like you evolve? Open World. It's not game changing. It's the easy solution. Not that it don't work but if it was the first to do so, it would have been gamebreaking.

I don't answer because I think you criticize BL3, a shit ton of people did here and I don't care. I answered because what you think is a "core shake up" is just another game using open world to make it look like they had ideas when developing it. Refining a game is as important, if not more, than just throwing a design used by other companies to make their game look better.
It is game changing, you literally admitted that. It is a core shake up TO gears, one that you literaly agree with.

"Sure, changing Gears 5 to open world is huge for a game known for its closed quarter combat."

Which one is it?

And yes... if you read my posts I literally say the sum of BL refinements could add to more. I am simply discussing this. If you think they do, share your opinion of that.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
game sounds good but nothing amazing...just more of the same...if you loved B2 then you'll love B3...seems like Gearbox played it safe and just gave players more of what they like- Borderlands 2.5

Actually 3 comes after 2? So why wouldn't it be BL3 instead of BL2.5?

It's not like it's a reboot, or the 6th installment...

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing I've written is unreasonable. I am not trying to make this a Vs situation. I am asking because I'm curious.

I don't get posts like yours, you're just looking for internet points?
The points you make are completely valid and it looks like you are just wanting a discussion but instead are being jumped on and insulted. It looks like you hit a nerve on some of them.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Why are we even caring about Gears. For the love of all that is holy please make a comparison between Diablo and diablo 2, then between borderlands 2 and 3

Cuz its exactly how it feels like (except that you know they borrowed some elements of diablo 3)

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Firstly, there's no need for the obnoxious rudeness.

The open world of Gears 5 makes the core game feel very different to me than 4. This is not an uncommon sentiment. Check the OT.

Already covered the rest, maybe drop the needless hostility and contribute to the discussion.

It is game changing, you literally admitted that. It is a core shake up TO gears, one that you literaly agree with.

"Sure, changing Gears 5 to open world is huge for a game known for its closed quarter combat."

Which one is it?

And yes... if you read my posts I literally say the sum of BL refinements could add to more. I am simply discussing this. If you think they do, share your opinion of that.

Ok let me rephrase it.
Easy shake ups are as good as refinements. Fuck, I'd take refinements more than shake ups.
What happened to Mass Effect Andromeda? Dragon Age Inquisition? FF XV? MGS V, to a certain extent?

They completely shake up the core mechanics of gameplay, incorporated open world environment and... failed miserably on the mechanics that worked on previous games. So yes. Changing a linear game to open world is huge. Is it better though? For what I played of Gears V so far, it's still Gears. Not much has been added to the gameplay outside of the open world, and it's not enough to see this as game breaker for me. They did what any linear game do at some point, no more.

Refinements, on the other hand, seem easy and quick, not bringing much to the table. But when they amount to a change of how the game plays or feel, it shakes enough the formula. If the refinements showed by the team and the previews/reviews we see are what we get in the game, I don't see myself go back and play B2 because it's not the same to play and feels less impactful (and I say that while deeply loving the game and the hours I put into it).

I don't feel the same shake up with Gears 5 for the moment after 4 (and even with 4, I don't think it shook up the gameplay enough with 3 and 2).

Nothing I've written is unreasonable. I am not trying to make this a Vs situation. I am asking because I'm curious.

I don't get posts like yours, you're just looking for internet points?

There is a difference between being curious and just coming and throw "BUT GEARS 5!!!" at every post while only taking the sentence that interest you and throw away the rest.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly if you're planning to play the game and have already played Borderlands 2 you'll have to experience those major differences for yourself as I don't know what to tell you that will make you see these are worthy improvements to the game. Is it a core shakeup as you describe it? Maybe not but then again I don't think that's what people are looking for in Borderlands 3.

To take your Gears example again, making open world sections with a few outposts to get extra items and story bits is nice cause means I get to do more killing and I have extra gameplay but in essence I don't feel like it's a core shakeup. I mean we're not talking about a seamless open world in the Gears Universe. Game follows the same structure, divided by acts, etc... Nothing wrong with that just don't know what to tell you about BL3. If you a Borderlands fan, the simple removal of slag should put a smile to your face :)

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
game sounds good but nothing amazing...just more of the same...if you loved B2 then you'll love B3...seems like Gearbox played it safe and just gave players more of what they like- Borderlands 2.5

Except you're totally wrong since it has one of the most extensive loot tables out there (even legendary items in the form of anointed gear got its own rarity loot table ffs and a completely revamped character customisation + paragon system, activity based matchmaking, asynchronous multiplayer, revamped gunplay and fast travel system + new bounties system entirely based on your friends list

Calling it 2.5, coupled to the video of the engine I've linked some posts above is just pure nonsense.

Also the elemental damage now is interacting with each other which just wasn't done in previous titles. You can shock water, flame oil and whatnot. And enemies also have different kind of shields, AND there is destructible cover. Like seriously

"bUt ItS tHe SaMe ArT sTyLe"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The points you make are completely valid and it looks like you are just wanting a discussion but instead are being jumped on and insulted. It looks like you hit a nerve on some of them.
Thank you mate.

Gears 5 feels very different to 4 for me. I had very little interest in playing 5 after 4, and was pleasantly surprised. The open world felt like a huge change to the format.

I am curious it BL3 will feel different as I am kind of burnt out on BL in general.

I was curious if there was any core changes to BL as large as the change to Gears. It seems impossible to have a productive conversation about that because fans are hyper defensive.

I'll drop it.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Gears 5 is just gears with very limited contextual destructible stuff. Its still the same gameplay than in the first gears back on xbox 360. Like there's not a jump about the formula in the same vein than God of War received ... but hey if driving a skiff in small maps in order to do secondary quests and upgrade a bot is a "major shake up" then by all means

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Adding open world to Gears 5 did nothing to change any kind of core mechanic whatsoever. All it meant was that I ran around around on a skiff for a bit before I continued doing what I had done for the previous 5 Gears games. Not that I mind that, but I'd actually consider it a minor negative in the grand scheme of things, it just made it so it took me longer to continue doing what I always did.

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nope they did that right from the beginning. I mean congrats for gears to step up to the plate but does it actually deserve that kind of recognition?

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
the sliding and vaulting is a core game change to the borderlands mechanics, it opens the possibilities to move more freely and adds transversal moviments too, no other borderlands had this and the dual fire mod adds some strategy elements in how you handle certain enemies.

these alone are fundamentaly changes to de core of bordelands, how the game was played then and how it ll be played now, so there is no borderlands 2.5

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nope they did that right from the beginning. I mean congrats for gears to step up to the plate but does it actually deserve that kind of recognition?
I'm saying it's a core shake up for a specific game that rejuvenated my interest. Open world is not the pinnacle from which no more core changes can occur.