• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Predictions?

• 96-100

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • 91-95 (Same as Borderlands 2)

Votes: 197 17.5%
  • 86-90

Votes: 457 40.5%
  • 81-85 (Same as Borderlands)

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • 76-80

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 34 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
But how does the shooting feel? Does it still feel like Borderlands or did they modernize it? If it still feels like Borderlands it's a wait and see title.

I need like vast improvement in shooting. It was serviceable in BL2, but this style can't fly no more.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But how does the shooting feel? Does it still feel like Borderlands or did they modernize it? If it still feels like Borderlands it's a wait and see title.

I need like vast improvement in shooting. It was serviceable in BL2, but this style can't fly no more.
There has been notable improvement to shooting mechanics from the feedback so far.

Also reviewing the content itself I can personally see more impact and feedback.

Will have to get hands on to know how much it means to me personally, but it is definitely improved.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
There has been notable improvement to shooting mechanics from the feedback so far.

Also reviewing the content itself I can personally see more impact and feedback.

Will have to get hands on to know how much it means to me personally, but it is definitely improved.
Compared to other FPS shooters like

Overwatch
Destiny
Halo
Call of Duty
Battlefield

Where would you place it, control wise

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
So has the endgame been reviewed yet, can't find too many details on it...what about the raids, Are they a thing? How long after post launch can we expect it land? Most looter shooter these days are defined by their endgame...

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I have played 1 and 2 with all their dlcs and They are hit or miss. The best one tiny tinas dlc which was really good but the rest are forgettable. That's why I'm torn whether to invest 100$ or 60$

It depends on how gear-oriented you are. Even the forgettable DLC's had good quest reward loot, raid boss loot, and seraph loot.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Compared to other FPS shooters like

Overwatch
Destiny
Halo
Call of Duty
Battlefield

Where would you place it, control wise

Around Battlefield level, from what I've heard so far.

If I had to class these titles, I'd put them in the following order:

Destiny = Bungie Halo > Overwatch > 343 Halo > Call of Duty > Battlefield

That said, Battlefield controls very well. Not trying to say it's garbage tier because it certainly isn't.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Around Battlefield level, from what I've heard so far.

If I had to class these titles, I'd put them in the following order:

Destiny = Bungie Halo > Overwatch > 343 Halo > Call of Duty > Battlefield

That said, Battlefield controls very well. Not trying to say it's garbage tier because it certainly isn't.
Oh yeah of course, I love battlefield. But I would put borderlands 2 gun game (mechanics wise) near killzone levels of bad. If you say near BF for BL3 that's good enough for me

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
I can't say that as I haven't played it. I can see a visual improvement to impact and feedback though, and people are reporting this too.

They did say they were looking at their peers for inspiration, destiny's gun play was mentioned though I am yet to see soemeting as snappy as destiny so far into the gen.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Oh yeah of course, I love battlefield. But I would put borderlands 2 gun game (mechanics wise) near killzone levels of bad. If you say near BF for BL3 that's good enough for me

It's really what I've heard (haven't played the game yet). Apparently the feel of the guns are significantly better than before. Don't quote me on this lol

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is another concern. BL2 ran like shit for me on my PC at the time. I'm hoping now I have a high end PC it will negate most of this.

Were BL2 onward solid on consoles?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Hope it's fun and playable in solo mode and doesn't feel like I'm missing out by not having 3 other players with me.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is another concern. BL2 ran like shit for me on my PC at the time. I'm hoping now I have a high end PC it will negate most of this.

Were BL2 onward solid on consoles?
It seemed to, I don't remember issues with it on either the handsome collection or the original release on consoles.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Hey, so, uh, this came up yesterday afternoon and I searched the thread and didn't find a mention (though sorry if it did tangentially):

2K Games and Gearbox didn't send out review codes for Borderlands 3. Instead, they set reviewers up with new Epic Games Store accounts with the game unlocked, and gave us a few warnings about the game being a work in progress. They asked us to stay away from the DirectX 12 implementation, for example, and told us that our progress in these builds may or may not carry over to the final game.
Shouldn't "work in progress" flags on a freaking review copy be a GIGANTIC red flag? That and the console version situation is also troubling.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
it's framerate is dropping hard pretty much every time he's in action.

and this is the console version? I kinda saw this coming after they released their PC minimum specs.

1080p/60 sometimes. And by "sometimes" I definitely mean not very often.

Yea it was happening way too much for my liking. Not a good sign at all, especially for people on base consoles (if this was indeed on a pro).

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so, uh, this came up yesterday afternoon and I searched the thread and didn't find a mention (though sorry if it did tangentially):

Shouldn't "work in progress" flags on a freaking review copy be a GIGANTIC red flag? That and the console version situation is also troubling.
Yeah this was covered yesterday and it's still crazy to me why not just send a copy of the current build.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I searched text for "Kot" in the thread in the time since the article was posted and didn't have any hits. Apologies for taking up the space!
Don't worry about it mate. Not everyone is online a the same time, it's perfectly valid to bring up a point you'd like to discuss.

And it is a bit concerning. This and the lack of console reviews and the footage above and the steep PC requirements...

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I mentioned this before:

That's actually pretty normal. We tend to get a review guide, letting us know what stuff isn't working during the review period. From the last few reviews.

Control: Mid-review update that actually cleared saves.
Remnant: Full list of pre-launch patch notes.
Gears 5: Noted final graphics drivers were still be prepared.

Generally what's missing is usually something like Photo Mode. Or the servers require set sessions to test multiplayer. But yes, they tend to offer a full list of patch notes noting what's missing or what will be changed.

But most games aren't "done" by launch. What makes you think they're done before? It tends to not work out in developers' favor, like Bloodstained Switch's performance issues. We review what's in front of us, because that's what is likely going to be in the box, if you don't get a massive Day One patch, like Days Gone did.

What's more abnormal is the unique EGS account. I reviewed Control on PC earlier, also on EGS, and that was just a code, so it's not an EGS-specific thing. The last time I remember having unique accounts was probably for Gwent I think, which required a new GOG press account for review.

In short, many of the games we review are missing features, which are clearly noted in reviews guides given to us with code. It was literally a thing Days Gone fans had an issue with.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some if those examples aren't as concerning to me as this situation. While it might be quite standard in this age of day one patches and fixing as they run, this one has:

Earlier build locked into specific EGS accounts.
Footage of low frame rates on pro console.
Steep PC requirements.
Lack of console reviews (is this actually true? I read it earlier).

It adds up into valid concern, imo.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Some if those examples aren't as concerning to me as this situation. While it might be quite standard in this age of day one patches and fixing as they run, this one has:

Earlier build locked into specific EGS accounts.
Footage of Lowe frame rates on pro console.
Steep PC requirements.
Lack of console reviews (is this actually true? I read it earlier).

It adds up into vapid concern, imo.

I noted those problems at the end of the post. I'm merely talking about the "earlier build" talk. That's very, very, very normal. The Day One patch phenomenon has risen with time. If we're lucky we get it a few days prior to embargo.

EDIT: We asked for console code and was told it wasn't coming anytime soon. Not sure if anyone else got it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I noted those problems at the end of the post. I'm merely talking about the "earlier build" talk. That's very, very, very normal. The Day One patch phenomenon has risen with time. If we're lucky we get it a few days prior to embargo.
I get that, but it's not as simple as saying that as a general statement. A lot of the examples you gave are different in terms of causing concern.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yeah...something don't feel right about this. Thankfully I was able to cancel my pre order. Ill see how the dust settles after its out in the wild and maybe on a discount.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but it's not as simple as saying that as a general statement. A lot of the examples you gave are different in terms of causing concern.

Correct. But again, look at the post I'm replying to. I am addressing a specific concern. As I literally wrote in the post you replied to.

Does my reply to a specific comment address all the other issues? No, because that's not the point of the reply. You can certainly be worried about the rest.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: We asked for console code and was told it wasn't coming anytime soon. Not sure if anyone else got it.

How much of an issue does this cause for you when conducting reviews? Do you have to factor in the fact that you are usually playing "early builds" into your review scores as I am sure most issues you point out to the devs results in "This is resolved in the Day One patch." Then there are cases where things just get released in a sorry state and the response is we will fix in a month.

The whole Day One patch ordeal is starting to get out of hand but I can understand devs needing to meet deadlines that are set outside of their control, the current state of the industry, and just how much more involved game dev has become.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. But again, look at the post I'm replying to. I am addressing a specific concern. As I literally wrote in the post you replied to.

Does my reply to a specific comment address all the other issues? No, because that's not the point of the reply. You can certainly be worried about the rest.
And elaborating on your point is all I'm doing, because it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Especially as the person you replied to mentioned the console concerns too. Their post was not only about the early build.

This particular situation is quite concerning, which us the main point they were reaising. It all adds up.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Way to derail the thread btw....I'm not exactly sure which game is being reviewed here

smh
To be fair, it's not like there's a whole lot of reviews to talk about (probably 4x has many to come) and the biggest takeaway is it's more Borderlands, so not surprising the discussion is a bit all over the place.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's not like there's a whole lot of reviews to talk about (probably 4x has many to come) and the biggest takeaway is it's more Borderlands, so not surprising the discussion is a bit all over the place.
Making comparisons to other games to highlight a point about this game is on topic. Some people get too defensive though and seem to think cknpairsons has to equal war.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
How much of an issue does this cause for you when conducting reviews? Do you have to factor in the fact that you are usually playing "early builds" into your review scores as I am sure most issues you point out to the devs results in "This is resolved in the Day One patch." Then there are cases where things just get released in a sorry state and the response is we will fix in a month.

The whole Day One patch ordeal is starting to get out of hand but I can understand devs needing to meet deadlines that are set outside of their control, the current state of the industry, and just how much more involved game dev has become.

Generally, I'd say it doesn't work out in the devs' favor. I review what has been given to me, because we have no clue if those issues will be corrected at launch, in a week, or in a month. I'm glad if someone's favorite game is in a better state on Day One, or a week later, but that's not a guarantee, and I'm here to tell the audience my experience with the build *handed to me for review purposes*, warts and all.

So for me, outside of the bugs themselves, it doesn't cause an issue at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Generally, I'd say it doesn't work out in the devs' favor. I review what has been given to me, because we have no clue if those issues will be corrected at launch, in a week, or in a month. I'm glad if someone's favorite game is in a better state on Day One, or a week later, but that's not a guarantee, and I'm here to tell the audience my experience with the build *handed to me for review purposes*, warts and all.

So for me, outside of the bugs themselves, it doesn't cause an issue at all.
I would like to say I really appreciate the fact you factor in the technical parts and acknowledge and dock accordingly. I wish more reviewers did this.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
True.

what's going on with that framerate

edit: okay I can't handle him talking to himself. muted is much better. lol

edit: yea definitely some framerate stability issues when a little action starts happening.
Yikes the framerate seems like it is all over the place. Hopefully we get DF coverage soon.
Ooops, actually that's pc gameplay with a ps4 controller. Looks like there's native button prompts on pc

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
So its more and better Borderlands 2? That sounds PERFECT and exactly what my wife and I wanted.. Destiny 1 & 2 proved Borderlands has the way better formula, Its always such a better feeling going back to B2 after playing D2, so this sounds absolutely perfect.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i don't think my friends and i (who are going to play thru in co-op) can in good conscience pre-order this until we see a legitimate PS4 Pro review.

i want to get it, but the whole console review embargo is frustrating.

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia owners should note that NV have today released their BL3 compatible driver. That means the old build reviewed on non-update drivers might run a fair bit better on their hardware.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Except you're totally wrong since it has one of the most extensive loot tables out there (even legendary items in the form of anointed gear got its own rarity loot table ffs and a completely revamped character customisation + paragon system, activity based matchmaking, asynchronous multiplayer, revamped gunplay and fast travel system + new bounties system entirely based on your friends list

Calling it 2.5, coupled to the video of the engine I've linked some posts above is just pure nonsense.

Also the elemental damage now is interacting with each other which just wasn't done in previous titles. You can shock water, flame oil and whatnot. And enemies also have different kind of shields, AND there is destructible cover. Like seriously

"bUt ItS tHe SaMe ArT sTyLe"

Okay, Borderlands 2.7 then...happy? :D