• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final Predictions?

• 96-100

Votes: 11 1.0%
  • 91-95 (Same as Borderlands 2)

Votes: 197 17.5%
  • 86-90

Votes: 457 40.5%
  • 81-85 (Same as Borderlands)

Votes: 349 30.9%
  • 76-80

Votes: 80 7.1%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 34 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think that PC Gamer review is really good and kinda reaffirms everything I was worried about from the pre-launch coverage

This is a game I'll buy at a steep discount, if at all. Which is a bummer, I didn't think this is how Borderlands 3 would go for me, but I haven't loved a game since the first, and if this just keeps following the trend of 2 and the presequel then I really just don't want anything to do with it

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, there's no need for the obnoxious rudeness.

The open world of Gears 5 makes the core game feel very different to me than 4. This is not an uncommon sentiment. Check the OT.

Already covered the rest, maybe drop the needless hostility and contribute to the discussion.

It is game changing, you literally admitted that. It is a core shake up TO gears, one that you literaly agree with.

"Sure, changing Gears 5 to open world is huge for a game known for its closed quarter combat."

Which one is it?

And yes... if you read my posts I literally say the sum of BL refinements could add to more. I am simply discussing this. If you think they do, share your opinion of that.

Your points are more than sound and are being met with hostility by people who seemingly cannot take anything other than blind positivity about BL3.

"More planets" - ie new levels - being used as something that shakes the game up is testament to how bizarre their argument is. Review threads are the absolute worst of Era; this is case in point.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any PS4 NON-pro reviews? I'm always worried if a game is even gonna run properly these days...

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The previous games were very boring and irritating to me. Was hoping this one would be a change because some of the art elements are cool, but it doesn't seem that is that case.

Oct 17, 2018
Hopefully it's better than 2 since I honestly massively preferred BL1. BL1 I played through multiple times and also grinded for different guns, and killed that end game DLC boss for those really rare guns. BL2 I barely completed once and then just never touched again.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully it's better than 2 since I honestly massively preferred BL1. BL1 I played through multiple times and also grinded for different guns, and killed that end game DLC boss for those really rare guns. BL2 I barely completed once and then just never touched again.

Sounds like you're in the minority on this one, as it seems from what little we have out there, its better than BL1 but may or may not be as good as 2.

I have a feeling its better than both just based on the endgame content they now have.

Syntrophos

Nov 25, 2018
I'll probably pick it up on a sale later. If they've polished the gunplay then I'm down for another round of it. The best solution to the "epic le random" writing for me is to just mute the game. It got me through the others, it'll get me through this one.

Oct 17, 2018
Sounds like you're in the minority on this one, as it seems from what little we have out there, its better than BL1 but may or may not be as good as 2.

I have a feeling its better than both just based on the endgame content they now have.
I think I hated BL2 because of the addition of those golden keys or whatever for those really strong guns, so all you had to do was go onto a website, find all the codes for the keys, and then get hundreds of keys.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Seems like a solid 8/10 to me for what I've seen. Doesn't offer anything extraordinary and more of the same. I think I'll jump in when it's on sale.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How's everyone's thoughts now?
Pretty fun so far. Only gripe is the default controls being not as smooth on consoles compared to the Handsome Collection. Definitely a Borderlands game, and I'm not sure I really encountered anything that's a step in any direction (for better or worse). I personally think they found a better balance of being quirky than Borderlands 2 (which was borderline annoying at parts, from I remember of that game). The story is also pretty engaging and the feel of the gameplay feels waaay more satisfying.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
7/10 from Metro/Gamecentral

In Short: A surprisingly unadventurous sequel, given the long years fans have been waiting for it, but the entertaining weaponry just about makes up for the overfamiliarity and obnoxious sense of humour.

Pros: The action is the best it's ever been, with some fantastic guns and gadgets and tons of content. Expanded customisation options and FL4K and Moze are great. Fun four-player co-op.

Cons: Bland, overlong mission design and disappointing new planet environments. Not all vault hunters are created equal. Uninvolving storytelling and strained attempts at comedy. Score: 7/10

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/17/bord...xactly-what-youd-expect-10754937/?ito=cbshare

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

In Short: A surprisingly unadventurous sequel, given the long years fans have been waiting for it, but the entertaining weaponry just about makes up for the overfamiliarity and obnoxious sense of humour.

Pros: The action is the best it's ever been, with some fantastic guns and gadgets and tons of content. Expanded customisation options and FL4K and Moze are great. Fun four-player co-op.

Cons: Bland, overlong mission design and disappointing new planet environments. Not all vault hunters are created equal. Uninvolving storytelling and strained attempts at comedy. Score: 7/10

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/17/bord...xactly-what-youd-expect-10754937/?ito=cbshare

If anyone was looking for a console review, this was for the PS4

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Some are definitely more fun than others though and while robot FL4K has three separate pet monsters to fight alongside him, and Moze has a giant mech that other players can also climb onto, Amara just has a range of disappointingly dull magic attacks. And while Zane's high-tech gadgets are useful, drones, a shield, and a hologram decoy aren't exactly original. It's fine if you're one of the good ones but we know we don't want to get stuck playing as Amara or Zane ever again.

Lol did this guy actually play these characters or what. If all you got out of Amara was "dull magic attacks" then it really sounds like you didn't play Amara.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Lol did this guy actually play these characters or what. If all you got out of Amara was "dull magic attacks" then it really sounds like you didn't play Amara.

"Dull magic attacks"

*Jumps in the air spewing down a beam of acid rain before unleashing splash damage for surrounding enemies*

Yea okay.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah there is nothing dull about Amara's moveset. Though I will admit that out of the 4 she has the least interesting personality to me. But thats mostly because the other 3 are properly crazy characters lol

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
After having put in what I consider a lot of hours and reaching a decent level on two characters, I don't think this game is as good as Borderlands 2.

• Some serious mission-breaking bugs. At least three I can recall, forcing my friends and I to quit to menu and relaunch the mission, sometimes having to play it completely over. We've probably lost three or four hours to these bugs
  • Lots of Fl4k bugs related to my pet. Sometimes it stands still and does nothing. Sometimes it does no damage (not immune enemies, literally attacks and does no damage)
  • I have yet to find a gun that feels good. In BL2 every few hours I'd come across a gun that was like "yea, this thing kicks ass!" - especially the oranges. In this game they all have such horrific trade offs or are so weak none of them feel special. Especially the sniper rifles. This game is the lord and master of shitty sniper rifles. Like whoever designed the sniper rifles in this game deserves a life-sized trophy of themselves sitting in front of a computer designing the worst sniper rifles in video game history, in solid gold
  • In Borderlands 2 I always knew where damage was coming from - what was shooting at me / clubbing me, and where they were, regardless of how hectic fights got. In this game things are knocking my shield out with one hit and I have no idea where they're at. Sometimes I am behind a wall with no enemies near me or even showing on the mini map, and yet I am being killed. It's bizarre
  • The writers graduated from the Joss Whedon School for Generating Drama. Kill characters or make super sad things happen without any actual impact or emotional gravitas towards the story. You can't just kill a character out of the blue and expect an emotional response from your readers. It needs to have meaning, or, the random sudden death / sudden story crux needs to occur at an appropriate moment.
And that's my whining about the game out of the way. I am not sure if I can even finish the game. Every other mission I am running into bugs that are causing me to kill myself to clear them (pets) or restart the mission with friends to get a NPC to do what they're supposed to do.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
After having put in what I consider a lot of hours and reaching a decent level on two characters, I don't think this game is as good as Borderlands 2.

• Some serious mission-breaking bugs. At least three I can recall, forcing my friends and I to quit to menu and relaunch the mission, sometimes having to play it completely over. We've probably lost three or four hours to these bugs
  • Lots of Fl4k bugs related to my pet. Sometimes it stands still and does nothing. Sometimes it does no damage (not immune enemies, literally attacks and does no damage)
  • I have yet to find a gun that feels good. In BL2 every few hours I'd come across a gun that was like "yea, this thing kicks ass!" - especially the oranges. In this game they all have such horrific trade offs or are so weak none of them feel special. Especially the sniper rifles. This game is the lord and master of shitty sniper rifles. Like whoever designed the sniper rifles in this game deserves a life-sized trophy of themselves sitting in front of a computer designing the worst sniper rifles in video game history, in solid gold
  • In Borderlands 2 I always knew where damage was coming from - what was shooting at me / clubbing me, and where they were, regardless of how hectic fights got. In this game things are knocking my shield out with one hit and I have no idea where they're at. Sometimes I am behind a wall with no enemies near me or even showing on the mini map, and yet I am being killed. It's bizarre
  • The writers graduated from the Joss Whedon School for Generating Drama. Kill characters or make super sad things happen without any actual impact or emotional gravitas towards the story. You can't just kill a character out of the blue and expect an emotional response from your readers. It needs to have meaning, or, the random sudden death / sudden story crux needs to occur at an appropriate moment.
And that's my whining about the game out of the way. I am not sure if I can even finish the game. Every other mission I am running into bugs that are causing me to kill myself to clear them (pets) or restart the mission with friends to get a NPC to do what they're supposed to do.
Lately i've been getting a bunch of crashes that i didn't earlier in the game.
A couple of mission breaking bugs too. Kinda strange.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yikes....huge drop.
mm1sJpO.png

vqnLbTy.png

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I like it more and it's definitely a step up from BL2 and TPS but I understand the scores. Granted after a few patches and the first DLC I think it'll be much better, but the story and some of the humor is a definite misfire, performance issues, super limited bank space, bugs, the map resetting and some other QOL stuff that should have been fixed etc.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cinematic moments of this game are shockingly bad.

The cutscene dialogue is bland, the animations are atrocious, important characters just die randomly. And your character, who is supposedly the hero, has zero impact on narrative events. You are just -missing- during the cutscenes.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Love it.

Don't agree at all with the PC Gamer review.

And the writing and jokes are so juvenile and High Schoolish which also makes it so fucking good and fresh since so many games tries so hard to be serious and dark.
You can have silly, self-aware humor with a story that's still great and jokes that aren't awful (some of the stuff makes me laugh and smile, other stuff like Vaughn.... ugh)

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cinematic moments of this game are shockingly bad.

The cutscene dialogue is bland, the animations are atrocious, important characters just die randomly. And your character, who is supposedly the hero, has zero impact on narrative events. You are just -missing- during the cutscenes.

Cutscenes and the main story writing were by far my biggest issues with the game

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Seems the more reviewers outside those they picked review the game, the lower the score goes. How surprising

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What a weird narrative to try to start.

The version with the most reviews on metacritic is sitting at an 84 and the opencritic score only went down 3 points.
It went down four points, and from a review perspective, an 81 is much less appealing then an 85.

Obsidian lost it's bonus because of 1 less review point for New Vegas, so don't pretend that a 4 isn't a steep drop. An 81 is a "strong" an 85 is a "mighty" on opencritic.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Great game, with performance and bug issues. A solid 8/10 from me. Can easily go up after a few performance/bug patches (possibly a few balance patches, as I have a few concerns about the games longevity...legendaries are way too damned easy to get). Can't get enough of this series, or just this genre as a whole.